What you'll do for love...

Author
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
2003/10/17 17:11:57 (permalink)

What you'll do for love...

Lucky Bishop's "Candied yams suck" comment on another thread made me think of something. I detest candied yams (the very smell makes me queasy) but my husband LOVES them. So I faithfully make some up every Thanksgiving and Christmas according to my dad's recipe (no marshmallows). It's the only thing I cook that I will not taste to make sure the flavors are all right. My guests have said they're great, but EEEEWWWWW!!!!

Is there anything you'll cook, eat, go along with just out of love?

22 Replies Related Threads

Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/17 17:48:52 (permalink)
    I'll cook with shrimp, but there's a small but real chance that I'll die if I eat any. I occasionally make things with chicken thighs, which my wife prefers, instead of breasts, which I strongly prefer.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/17 17:50:37 (permalink)
    Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. My kids love that glop. I'm sure some of you do too, but I can do it a million times better baked and four kinds of cheese (if you have ever been to Rocky and Carlos's in St Bernard parish you might know what I am talking about)and Kraft always taste like bad pasta and bad cheese. But my boys love it and it is easy and that is good enough for me.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/17 18:07:45 (permalink)
    For me it's the repugnant task of frying liver, whether it be beef or chicken.............yuckoooooooooo.....but I did it weekly for my dad when he was alive.....He best be making room for me in heaven for my sacrifice
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/17 18:09:53 (permalink)
    My father doesn't feel that his holiday meal is complete without creamed onions. One year, mom forgot to take them out of the microwave and didn't find them until we were cleaning up. Whoops! Dad really missed them, too. I have to say I always pass them on when they get to me.
    emmymom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/17 18:31:52 (permalink)
    I love to cook, but my sweetie is a very picky eater who prefers to stick to the tried and true, ad infinitum. So, "Meat with Tomatoes" (a genuine, from-an-ad, Minute Rice recipe with hamburger, onions, mustard, tomatoes and instant rice) is on the menu five to six evenings a week (no, really!) It's not that it's BAD, I actually like it, but not that often. It only takes 15 minutes to make, though, so I go along with it and cook whatever I want for myself. We actually sat and went through old magazines in a library looking for the original recipe once, but never found it (it's from approximately 1966.) If anyone clipped it long ago and still has it (I don't know if that was really the right name for the dish, either) please let me know!!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/17 18:38:38 (permalink)
    The last time my wife cooked was about 1967. We both are professionals and do not have a lot of time. I enjoy cooking for myself and most of the time my wife likes some of what I do. We have a rule around the house. You cook, you clean it up.

I cook nothing I do not like. I use a lot of jalapenoes and when she discovers them, her enjoyment is over.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/17 20:43:36 (permalink)
    Now, I am a beans and cornbread kind of gal. Good beans, good cornbread, that's a meal. My husband was raised in such a way that he has to have chili with the beans and cornbread, or it just isn't right.

Now, chili is a entirely seperate meal isn't it?

I have adjusted and make the chili, but it just isn't right.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/18 01:35:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

it just isn't right.

Well, darlin', the first step is adjustin' your vocabulary: learn to say "ain't" and you'll be on the right track. Ain't, as in, "Thet boy ain't from 'raoun' heah, is he?"
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6878
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/18 03:03:39 (permalink)
    Being an ex-executive chef, I have the BEST sig. other in the world......there's nothing he doesn't like, he's happy as a clam with all the dishes I cook and there are some strange ones.......sweetbreads with root vegetables, veal kidneys flambeed in Cognac, coq au vin, all kinds of beans, greens and BBQ, Thai, Chinese, sashimi, sushi, homemade pasta, ravioli, bread, moose, elk, caribou, rabbits, pheasant, ptarmigan.......the list goes on and on. So I cook ALL the above out of love, knowing that he's going to drool and appreciate everything. The ONLY thing we both agree on: no more mucktuck, ever, ever! (Whale meat and blubber we ate in a village on the Arctic Ocean. )
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/18 07:54:04 (permalink)
    Its not hamburger / tuna helper. Its more like acomplice. It dosnt help. It aids and abets.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1187
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/18 11:27:31 (permalink)
    *sigh*.....

Hamburger Helper. My wife loves the stuff. And I'll go along maybe twice a year, followed by 24 hours of massive cups of water to leach the sodium out of my system.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/18 14:08:58 (permalink)
    mucktuck needs care when cooking, may I suggest braising it on the manifold of a Ford F-150 w/ a bit of lemon juice,garlic and extra virgin olive oil......be sure to wash it down with a decent wine, like Nightrain or Mad dog 20/20
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/18 15:42:52 (permalink)
    Now, I'm as much of a food snob as the next guy, but...cheeseburger macaroni Hamburger Helper and a side of, say, steamed broccoli? Goooooooooooooood.

I grew up in the suburbs, and my wife grew up in urban Boston with fairly bohemian parents. She doesn't know from Velveeta and Hamburger Helper...but she's learning.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/18 21:36:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

it just isn't right.

Well, darlin', the first step is adjustin' your vocabulary: learn to say "ain't" and you'll be on the right track. Ain't, as in, "Thet boy ain't from 'raoun' heah, is he?"

Sorry. My edekashion was showin.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6878
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/18 22:44:54 (permalink)
    garygk6........thanks for the recipe and tips on the mucktuck, we unfortunately do not own a Ford F-150, will a Dodge Dakota work? I will have have to get some extra virgin olive oil imported from California as we do not know what that is up here in the frozen tundra. And I did not know that we should abandon our vintage Chardonnay for Mad Dog 20/20..........hmmmmmm.......that all just might make the blubber a little more palatable.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/19 16:14:33 (permalink)
    The only thing I make for my boyfriend that I don't really like is salmon. But for love I have slaved away at such things as tarte tatin, profiteroles, dim sum, and fried twinkies.

What about what you have given up? I make a vegetarian Hungarian noodle casserole with lots of dill weed, buttermilk and veggies that he hates. It makes such a big pan I can't make it just for myself. But the next time he goes out of town...
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/19 19:01:28 (permalink)
    Despite the fact I was willing to get her Swanson Chicken ala King, Inthr can.
    Shes my exwife.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/19 21:40:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

What about what you have given up?

Great question on a question!

Anything with mushrooms.When my wife was a kid, her dad told her and her siblings that if you ate mushrooms, they would start to grow in your stomach. She still can't get that picture out of her mind. Neither can her siblings. I think there were alot of food crimes that went on in that house.

A POX on the man!!!! He should be brought before the Food Tribunal and tried for this heinous crime!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/20 04:19:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

What about what you have given up?

Great question on a question!

Anything with mushrooms.When my wife was a kid, her dad told her and her siblings that if you ate mushrooms, they would start to grow in your stomach. She still can't get that picture out of her mind. Neither can her siblings. I think there were alot of food crimes that went on in that house.

A POX on the man!!!! He should be brought before the Food Tribunal and tried for this heinous crime!

My brothers told me if I chewed my nails I would grow a hand in my stomache

- Elise, thoughtfully nibbling her nails
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/20 09:10:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

The last time my wife cooked was about 1967. We both are professionals and do not have a lot of time. I enjoy cooking for myself and most of the time my wife likes some of what I do. We have a rule around the house. You cook, you clean it up.

I cook nothing I do not like. I use a lot of jalapenoes and when she discovers them, her enjoyment is over.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Wasn't this the alternative plot-line for "Love Story" ??
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2003/10/20 09:21:28 (permalink)
    Velveeta and shells. A cheese food product, Perhaps toped w/ Cheese whiz, {A pefectly named product} Buy em buy the can.
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: What you'll do for love... 2014/05/23 00:24:16 (permalink)
    My father was a white bread, meat and potatoes type. Would eat it every meal for every day of his life if he could have. Every once in a great while, my mother would fix potato soup or curry and he would suffer in silence, generally. The day I gave up on his tastes was the day I saw him ladling Pace Salsa (one of the few condiments he liked) over his curry. I didn't say anything to him but asked Mother about it later. Turned out he was trying to cover the taste of the curry with the Salsa. Oooh, lucky he didn't make himself sick. That was over twenty years ago and I still don't know why he didn't have a couple of sandwiches instead if the curry was that much of an issue. I loved him dearly but boy, there sure were things about him I never did understand. Mind you, this was a man who smoked two cartons a week. Maybe it warped his taste buds.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1