The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's For DINNER ...???

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 13 of 131, messages 361 to 390 of 3908
Sundancer7

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Thu, 01/5/12 12:25 PM (permalink)
BackRhodes

Y'all are making me hungry...

Paul, the double fry method for your fries IS superb, yet something most restaurants won't invest the time for (or don't know about)...and yer burgers sound fairly normal to me...what type beef hot links...???

BackRhodes.  You are correct as my burgers are sorta ordinary but I made them with chuck, sausage, onions, chili powder, onion powder, chili powder, jalapeno and they came out quite tasty and I also oven fried them.

Knoxville is a sausage challenged area and I bought the Johnsonville Beef Hot Links and they were very good deep fried in the Cool Daddy.

The frites were outstanding and I made a dipping sauce for the frites with thousand Island and my favorite hot sauce Chorizo.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
    Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Thu, 01/5/12 3:42 PM (permalink)
    Thanks, Greymo!  My mother is kind of hinting at what she'd like for her Mother's Day meal and of course it's not what I had in mind.

She likes when she has take home food when the meal is over.

Tonight will be a Nutrisystem dinner for me.  I'm back on except for a couple dinner engagements that I can't bow out of because they're for me.

mar52

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Thu, 01/5/12 3:49 PM (permalink)
      BackRhodes:  It's good to hear that your back is feeling better.

Sometimes when mine is bad I can drive my SUV without any pain but can't sit in my car at all.  Only problem is getting in and out of the SUV!

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
        Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Thu, 01/5/12 4:58 PM (permalink)
        We are having beef shanks, which are in the crockpot as I type. Browned 1st, put his in the crockpot over potatoes, carrots, onion and celrey, then covered it all with spinach. Good comfort food.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
          Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Thu, 01/5/12 10:41 PM (permalink)
          That sounds like good winter Wisconsin food, CCJPO!

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
            Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Thu, 01/5/12 11:35 PM (permalink)
            mar52

BackRhodes:  It's good to hear that your back is feeling better.

Sometimes when mine is bad I can drive my SUV without any pain but can't sit in my car at all.  Only problem is getting in and out of the SUV!

Thanks...driving is possible when I'm IDS (In Deep Sh*t) with a firm throw pillow behind me to take pressure off the lower lumbar...no driving today so I can drive tomorrow. I used to have low, slinky 2 seat roadsters, back when I lived on paved streets, but those are too hard to get in & out of...pickup trucks and SUV's are much easier for me...

Dinner tonight has yet to happen...I want something more than popcorn, but the heat is off in the cookshack where it's 38* and getting colder...do I want to suit up in a parka to cook tonight...???  Nights like these make me want to spend as little time as possible in the cookshack...
            Maybe popcorn and some video fun is what it'll be tonight...I need to transfer some of my cooking shows from the DVR onto DVD disk - stuff like DDD, Good Eats, America's Test Kitchen, etc...gotta make room on the DVR so I can record even more stuff...it's crammed full of mostly educational stuff...

That's it...Popcorn...and I'll doctor up the melted LOCAL butter with some garlic or chili powder...

Speaking of "doctoring" I was wondering what I was going to do with the last portion of Guy Fieri BBQ sauce...it's fairly bland stuff,  possibly made for little old ladies, so here is my formula for some damn good sauce...

1 part Guy Fieri bbq sauce
            2 parts OT's bbq sauce
            3 parts Kinders bbq sauce
            1 capfull of liquid hickory smoke

Mix well...it's SO good it doesn't last long...I need to make another batch

Option: 2 or 3 dashes of tobasco sauce
            1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp corriander powder (they work well together)

mar52

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Thu, 01/5/12 11:54 PM (permalink)
              You could use that as a dip and eat the popcorn one kernel at a time... dipping as you feel needed.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3305
                Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Fri, 01/6/12 12:47 PM (permalink)
                Last night was pecan-crusted tilapia, mashed parsnips, carrots and turnips, and some frozen green beans with almonds.

Tonight I'm working, so I'll either grab something from the concession stand or stop at the local Mexican drive-thru on the way home.
                <message edited by felix4067 on Fri, 01/6/12 12:48 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                  Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Fri, 01/6/12 1:37 PM (permalink)
                  Does the IATSE local business agent know there's a member who actually cooks?

felix4067

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Fri, 01/6/12 2:08 PM (permalink)
                    Michael Hoffman

Does the IATSE local business agent know there's a member who actually cooks?

That she does! I've known her since 1990, and was the only bridesmaid in her wedding.

Michael Hoffman

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Fri, 01/6/12 2:19 PM (permalink)
                      She? A she is the business agent? It's a new day. My old business agent must be spinning in his grave.

felix4067

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Fri, 01/6/12 2:38 PM (permalink)
                        Meh...we are very much a progressive local. Our former business agent, upon deciding not to run in favour of a position with the International, recommended her for the job. She just got re-elected for her third term.

Michael Hoffman

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Fri, 01/6/12 4:47 PM (permalink)

felix4067

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Sat, 01/7/12 3:13 PM (permalink)
                            Oh dear god. I have a date for dinner on my way to work tonight. We're apparently having Italian. I am suddenly picturing the scene from Lady and the Tramp.

mar52

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Sat, 01/7/12 8:26 PM (permalink)
                              Nutrisystem chili with beans along with the required protein.  Think Huevos Rancheros if you think it's a strange combination.  (I would have killed for a tortilla)

If you plate the NS it makes a major difference.

kathy_in_wlsv

• Total Posts: 103
                                Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Sun, 01/8/12 1:09 PM (permalink)
                                MMMMMMMMMM Pot Roast.. just a plain old big chuck roast, surrounded by carrots and potatoes, LOTS of garlic, a little S&P and about a cup of broth in the crock pot. put it in at 10, we'll eat around 5..

ohhhhhhhhh as I was fixing it my  adult son was telling his friend about eating here at our house.."we eat like kings..my mom iss the best cook ever.."  Its just old style home cooking, but it suits us.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1138
                                  Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Sun, 01/8/12 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                  Singapore shrimp - from Grace Young's Stir-frying to the sky's edge

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Sun, 01/8/12 2:45 PM (permalink)
                                    Tonight is roasted pork loin and  cheesy potatoes with broccoli with garlic butter.  The house is starting to smell real good

felix4067

Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Sun, 01/8/12 7:50 PM (permalink)
                                      Today was Christmas at my dad's house. Meatballs in BBQ sauce, baked beans, tater tots, deviled ham tortilla rollups, crab tortilla rollups, crab-stuffed cucumbers, crackers with salmon and/or deviled ham/horseradish spread, cheeses, olives, pickles, chips and dip, cranberry-orange bread, chocolate-vanilla swirl bread, various candies and fudges, and deviled eggs. With either lemon, chocolate, or strawberry cake for dessert.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1956
                                        Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Sun, 01/8/12 9:57 PM (permalink)
                                        Pan fried haddock with fire roasted salsa & a chop salad.

mar52

Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Sun, 01/8/12 11:32 PM (permalink)
                                          Mediterranean Rotisserie Chicken with Baba Ganoush and a green salad.

I picked up this dinner from a small (5 locations) place called Gaby's in Marina del Rey.

They had a drive through and I'll be back to try some of the other dishes.  If I had known about the drive through this wouldn't have been my first trip.  It was good!

mar52

Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Mon, 01/9/12 9:31 PM (permalink)
                                            My mother has been hounding me to make a recipe she saw in the Los Angeles Times.

It's a cioppino for some restaurant in California.

I made a pot for her and left enough for myself to enjoy a bowl over capellini:

The seafood used is scallops, shrimp and swordfish.

PM me for the simple recipe if you'd like.  I'll add red pepper flakes the next time for myself. 

BackRhodes

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 01/10/12 5:57 AM (permalink)
                                              mar52

You could use that as a dip and eat the popcorn one kernel at a time... dipping as you feel needed.

BBQ spice in the melted popcorn butter works well for me...and it's hard to eat 1 kernel at a time...

BackRhodes

• Location: Mendocino County, CA
                                                Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 01/10/12 6:04 AM (permalink)
                                                mar52

If you plate the NS it makes a major difference.

You probably can't tell IF you close your eyes...

So that funny looking this is 2 eggs, huh...???

Is a real tortilla taboo...??? How much would it throw your count off...???

I could see how an Indian Taco fried tortilla bread would throw your count off...

BackRhodes

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 01/10/12 6:08 AM (permalink)
                                                  Sundancer7

BackRhodes

Y'all are making me hungry...

Paul, the double fry method for your fries IS superb, yet something most restaurants won't invest the time for (or don't know about)...and yer burgers sound fairly normal to me...what type beef hot links...???

BackRhodes.  You are correct as my burgers are sorta ordinary but I made them with chuck, sausage, onions, chili powder, onion powder, chili powder, jalapeno and they came out quite tasty and I also oven fried them.

Knoxville is a sausage challenged area and I bought the Johnsonville Beef Hot Links and they were very good deep fried in the Cool Daddy.

The frites were outstanding and I made a dipping sauce for the frites with thousand Island and my favorite hot sauce Chorizo.

Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

I meant "normal" in a good way, as in "I'd enjoy  them"...I didn't mean to imply "ordinary" at all...it sounds like a creative combination, and a bit extra effort...good job...now please pass me a burger...!!!

BackRhodes

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 01/10/12 6:13 AM (permalink)
                                                    Ok...dinner was so long ago...while the sun was still up...had to go "into town" today and it's been a long day...

Rodeo Burger (cheese burger with bacon)...with a couple dashes of tobasco...

Twice fried french fries...

This is an establishment in Garberville where they know how I want it, and they even remember my name...and it's fun flirting with the TALL owners daughter...(she's way too young for me so it's just harmless flirting)...

Last night it was grilled burgers...

Night before 1.6 pound Tri-Tip...grilled...

BackRhodes

Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Tue, 01/10/12 6:28 AM (permalink)
                                                      kathy_in_wlsv

MMMMMMMMMM Pot Roast.. just a plain old big chuck roast, surrounded by carrots and potatoes, LOTS of garlic, a little S&P and about a cup of broth in the crock pot. put it in at 10, we'll eat around 5..

ohhhhhhhhh as I was fixing it my  adult son was telling his friend about eating here at our house.."we eat like kings..my mom iss the best cook ever.."  Its just old style home cooking, but it suits us.

Sounds PERFECT to me...what time are you serving...???

"Old style home cooking" is overlooked by some folks in pursuit of fancier dishes, but I agree...and chuck is where the flavor is...a no fuss crock pot meal is something to look forward to...

In the old days "way back" a Coozie (chuck wagon cook) had limited resources, yet had to turn out meals that were simple, filled up a belly, didn't croak the cowhands, and yet had a bit of variety to them (not easy to do during a 6 week cattle drive with no Safeway for suppies)...

The one luxury the Coozies didn't have was time...it was a rare chuck wagon wasn't on the move several times a day...and a smart Coozie would hand sort beans before putting them to soak...

We're lucky these days...we have it so much easier...in terms of an electric crock pot, we are living the fantasy dreams of our ancestors...as in "Gee, I wish I couild get this to cook itself"...or..."Gee, I wish I could go 60 MPH"...

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                        Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Tue, 01/10/12 3:30 PM (permalink)

Is a real tortilla taboo...??? How much would it throw your count off...???

I could see how an Indian Taco fried tortilla bread would throw your count off...

I probably could have eaten a corn tortilla, but once I start it's hard to control myself.  And yes, those are eggs.

felix4067

• Location: Near Grand Rapids, MI
                                                          Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Tue, 01/10/12 6:42 PM (permalink)
                                                          I did a chicken stir-fry, served with rice from a package (Lipton/Knorr Asian chicken fried rice, if you care).

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                            Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Tue, 01/10/12 7:05 PM (permalink)
                                                            I care.

I'm currently, as I type eating a can of rinsed, salted, heavily pepper and Wolfe Rubbed garbanza beans.

Don't grimace... they're good.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 13 of 131, messages 361 to 390 of 3908

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 5 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com