Helpful ReplyHot!What's For DINNER ...???

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 84
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/27 22:13:17
Tuna Melt sandwiches and onion rings for dinner tonight! I LOVE tuna.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/27 22:48:24
My flank steak:

That's Crema
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/27 23:26:37
I think I've said it before - I really like seeing what everyone's having for dinner - it gives me ideas for future dinners -  tonight we had small taco salads - we've been grilling and cooking up a storm the past 3  days - Saturday night a great big ribeye, lobster cakes and a salad.  Sunday lunch Sticky Chicken, rice, pinto beans and real (not canned) turnip greens with turnips. 

Sunday night we were still stuffed from lunch but we did some grilled stuffed pork chops, broccoli & cheese stuffed potatoes and a salad.  We ate about half of it and the spouse had the rest for lunch today.

Isaac is on the way - still too soon but they're predicting us to get rain and wind late Thursday and Friday - which means the power will go out - doesn't take much more than that - and we will be relying on the generators and snacks to get us through - but we're ready!

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/28 06:51:20
Eat well and stay safe, my friend.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/28 09:39:14
mar52

Perfectly horrible?  What about it didn't you like?

It took more than 3x as long to cook as the recipe stated, the topping dried out (and used dried minced onion and garlic, so it was crunchy and not in a good way), and the only flavour was Tabasco and lemon juice. You win some, you lose some.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/28 20:02:44
I lovingly call this "Pantry Stew". It varies every time I make it based on what I have on the shelf. But I was expecting to be working downtown at dinner, so I was going to go out for sushi and had no plan for cooking when I got out at 3:30.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/28 21:46:28
Felix, I could dive in to that!

I salvaged the flank steak.  The dogs got the edges and we ate this:

Tasty!  I marinated the steak in Ketjap Manis, Wine, Honey, Garlic and a little Sesame Oil.

Put it in a hot cast iron skillet till I thought it was done.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/29 18:24:38
This always looks like absolute hell on a plate, but ohmygod is it tasty! Bacon, sliced hard-boiled eggs, tons of cheese...yup. One of my favourites.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/29 19:58:59
I believe, I believe!

I'll be having linguini with clams.
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/30 08:40:13
felix4067

This always looks like absolute hell on a plate, but ohmygod is it tasty! Bacon, sliced hard-boiled eggs, tons of cheese...yup. One of my favourites.
Something from your childhood, a 1958 issue of Good Housekeeping, or both?
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/30 12:52:37
ScreamingChicken

felix4067

Something from your childhood, a 1958 issue of Good Housekeeping, or both?

Actually, I picked it up about four years ago from a diabetic newsletter, with adaptations to suit our taste. It's got a bunch of fat, but it's a diabetic recipe.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/30 13:24:18
I think Atkins would also like it, may he rest in peace.

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/30 20:31:05
The fat content is why I don't make it more often...if it was up to me, it would be dinner at least once a week.

Tonight I created my own version of chicken a'la king, because I had a container of Philadelphia cooking creme in my refrigerator and some time on my hands. I think it's the best version of it I've ever made, which makes me wonder why I used a recipe before.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/30 21:04:58
I'm not sure what we'll have tonight.

Chicken ala King sounds good.  Yours looks terrific!
I just don't have any of the ingredients.

baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/30 22:56:07
Isaac turned out to be a lamb instead of a lion - we'd been warned of heavy rains and flooding and got prepared - alas - only less than 1/4 inch this afternoon and just minimal winds.  So - we wound up watching the South Carolina /Vanderbilt game and since we couldn't decide on what's for dinner we had breakfast - bacon, Cheddar grits, baked eggs and toast.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/08/31 01:11:33
Glad to hear you made it through without any problems.  It's always best to be prepared. 

I should have had breakfast for dinner.  Instead I had more linguini.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/01 21:34:58
Just finished a delicious pork and green chile tamale.

Our new local Farmer's Market has a vendor selling nothing but tamales.  Tomorrow's dinner will be the sweet corn tamale if I don't eat it for lunch.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/01 22:06:08
I've crawled out of my dark room long enough for some chicken bouillon and crackers, and to watch the Alabama-Michigan game with no volume in sunglasses. First migraine in over a year, and I am not amused.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/02 01:09:17
Felix, this may sound crazy but it has worked for me for the last 4 years.

I got the type of migraine that hit at 4AM and lasted until I got physically sick about 4 or 5 agonizing hours later.

Then I read the ingredients in all of the over the counter migraine medications.  They all contained caffeine.

Our local 7-11 had these little one shot caffeine boosts to put in your coffee.  They contain 2 mgs of pure caffeine.  They're the little cups like the little half and half cups for your coffee.

I asked the guy at the counter (Bikki) if I could take a handful.  I'd been buying my morning coffee there from him for about 19 years.  He gave me a bunch of them.

I put them in my nightstand next to the bed.

The next time I felt the dreaded migraine coming on I opened one up and downed the nasty thing.  My headache subsided.

Felix, this has happened every time since.  No more migraines (Knock on wood and everything else nearby) and I swear by them.  I even purchased a couple hundred of those little individual caffeine doses from the manufacturer.  I never want to be without them!

Now....  just another thought:  A can of Mountain Dew has the same 2 mgs of Caffeine.  I just don't know if it goes directly into your body the same way.

I'm wishing you the same success with the defeat of your migraines as I had with mine.

PM me if you want me to send you a few!
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/02 15:34:02
I'm cooking for myself tonight so I have some spicy Italian sausages and some brat buns, but tomorrow will be pulled pork.  I prepped a 3-7/8 lb. butt this morning and it'll go on the smoker whenever I wake up.

So I guess I'd better make a beer run.

Mar, I'll save you some if you can get here with some tamales by 6pm Central tomorrow.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2012/09/02 15:36:52
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/02 16:14:28
But Brad....  I'm shopping for shoes tomorrow.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 11:39:34
I'll keep that in mind for next time, Mar, thank you! I know Excedrin Migraine (which is the only thing that actually works on mine, but which has not been available due to recall for almost a year) is aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine. This time I muddled through with a combination of coffee and Tylenol 3. It's been at least ten years since I had one that lasted several days, but I actually woke up this morning with nothing other than the hangover effect. It's almost like being back on vacation!
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 14:09:03
Mar, that was a very interesting suggestion about the caffiene supplements.  I hope that information gets wide-spread, and people can try it.

felix, I had migraines as a kid, thankfully they left me at adolescence, but the legacy is a relationship between me and aspirin/any painkiller (OTC) all my life.  I don't like headaches, and I have to stop them for what might follow if I don't.  I was an Excedrin (regular) guy for decades, and for a short time, was pretty worried when they disappeared from the shelves.  But I picked up a bottle of "equate Headache Relief" at Wal-Mart, it has the exact same ingredients, and exactly the same effect on me.

Bet you can find a match too.

I don't understand why the company threw away such a strong brand name. 
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 14:24:43
One of the best things about Vegas is the food!  
Our Annual trip to Vegas wouldnt be the same if we didnt go to our favorite deli to eat.
Located in the Mirage hotel is Abes Deli and they have the BEST Pastrami sandwiches in the world!
At $18.00 per sandwich they are a bit pricey but there is SOooooooooo much meat in the things that its hard for even a guy with an appetite like mine to finish! Along with the Sandwiches you get all you can eat garlic pickles made fresh right there in the restaurant!

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 14:33:42
easydoesit
Bet you can find a match too.

I don't understand why the company threw away such a strong brand name. 

The store brand doesn't work for me, regardless of the store (Walgreens also lost their store brand in the recall, since they were also bottled by Novartis). And honestly, it's not worth my going to Walmart, a store I abhor, to find out if theirs is any different.

They didn't throw it away, by the way. There was a HUGE mixup in the packaging facilities at Novartis, which makes among a large number of other drugs, Excedrin (they also make NoDoz, Bufferin and Gas-X, as well as Percocet). Their bottles had been mishandled, so some of the prescription narcotic pain relievers were being bottled in their OTC brands, and vice-versa. Happened early this year, and they just started production again in July. Supposed to be back on shelves starting in October.
post edited by felix4067 - 2012/09/03 14:36:35
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 15:10:21
Greg, did you ask for extra rye bread?  The ratio is way off for me.

Is the pastrami machine or hand sliced? 

The next time you're near Los Angeles, make the trip to Langer's on Alvarado.  Then you'll have the best pastrami sandwich.  Not as packed with meat, but the meat is the finest available.

I had Sopa de Camarone last night at a Mexican restaurant.  It had absolutely no taste.  The broth was like tomato water without any hint of spice.  The shrimp were just boiled.

I made tacos out of the shrimp topped with their tasteless salsa.

Total waste of calories.
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 16:20:04
Nope..no extra bread!  I just whittled away at the Pastrami until it was down to "sandwich size" and then ate it!  Of course I had to dip EVERY delish bite into the spicy brown mustard first!  
Thinking perhaps the sandwich wouldnt be enough I ordered ONE potato Latke as well!  BIGgggggggg  mistake!  The darn thing was the size of the entire plate and a meal all in itself! LOL

BTW......I dont know if the Pastrami was hand cut or machine cut!
IF you think mine was/is big they also sell a TRIPLE!  
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 20:46:56
Mar.....I use the same pastrami as Langers, it comes from RC Provisions in Burbank. Top Shelf Stuff!  The rest is just peppered roast beef.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 21:18:38
Chefbuba is my new Pastrami King, I could sit at his place and eat pastrami all day, until he made me work, then I'm gone.....

This is two fresh made Tortillas, with Pork Carnitas lettuce, Jalapenos, Cotija cheese, onion, salsa and sour cream and a squeze of lime. We cooked of a front pigs leg with Shoulder and butt attached.

pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 21:25:42
iluvcfood: When I went to the Mirage Hotel, the Carnegie Deli was there. The Sandwich looks great. Mar, I always ask for extra Jewish rye, I make two sandwiches out of the one big one..............pnwc
post edited by pnwchef - 2012/09/03 21:27:16
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 22:59:44
Bill, that's just what I do.

Chefbuba, if you're using the same pastrami as Langer's... that's what I'll order if and when I get up your way.
chefbuba
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 23:35:30
Yep, same thing!
Bill.....You should open up a taco stand.
I made tamale pie tonight.
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 23:36:22
WHY was this post edited?  Thats not at all what I originally said!!
chefbuba
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/03 23:59:40
????
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/04 01:05:13
Greg, what are you talking about?  Both of your posts are the same as I read this afternoon.
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/04 02:15:27
Never mind...... I apparently was reading or had read the wrong thread!  My apologies! 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/04 14:45:42
Old age?

Don't worry.  I've done worse.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/04 16:49:26
Let me try this again..............
iluvcfood: When I went to the Mirage Hotel, the Carnegie Deli was there. The Sandwich looks great. Mar, I always ask for extra Jewish rye, I make two sandwiches out of the one big one..............pnwc
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/04 18:35:11
My goodness, but it's nice to be able to eat food again! I was still a little rocky yesterday, but today seems to be going well. Parmesan broiled tilapia, mixed vegetables, and peas & carrots.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/04 18:54:52
Glad to hear that you're feeling better, Felix. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/04 20:08:19
Half a dozen White Castles with mustard and no pickles and a few glasses of Paisano.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/04 20:46:00
Tomorrow-my first day off in 7-will be brats with sauerkraut and swiss cheese-served on the awesome rye buns sent by Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman......
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/05 19:15:29
Thanks, Mar! That was a way bad one.

Tonight I did salmon cakes with creamy dill sauce, and a bag salad on the side.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/05 21:11:44
That's very pretty.

I've been snacking on junk. 
stevetamer
Junior Burger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/05 22:31:11
Wow, looks great
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/07 20:22:49

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/07 22:15:03
Mayonnaise?  Best Foods?

Looks great, Bill!

My dinner:

I washed it down with a bottle of Soda Stream Seltzer I just fizzed.
chefbuba
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/07 23:25:58
Chili Verde, rice & salad.

baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/08 21:49:53
Cool front came through this morning and the 75 degrees now feels like heaven compared to the upper 90's & high humidity we've been dealing with for weeks.  Football is on the tv and we've got a 2 inch thick NY Strip on the grill - potatoes baking in the Nuwave - a salad and a few crab legs to top it off - life's good!
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/08 22:11:00
Homemade Chili Rellenos and Spanish Rice tonight!

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/09 00:10:40
Looks good, Greg.  What kind of sauce on the relleno or is that just cheese?

Is that an ashtray next to your dinner plate?

Edited to add my dinner...

Costco's Everything Pizza at a friend's house.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/09 21:42:03
I've had these chicken, brie sausage for about a week and didn't know what to serve with them.

So I made them part of this meal.
Sausage, pinto beans and pickled jalapeno peppers.

Not bad.  Not wonderful.

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/09 22:40:25
We stopped at a Big Boy on the way home from a weekend music festival in the middle of nowhere. Purely because there was one. They don't do a bad caramel butter pecan milkshake, but my burger was just a burger, nothing special.

Mar, are those Aidell's sausages? I really like those.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/09 23:33:19
I also like Bruce Aidell's chicken and apple sausages but these were another brand.  I don't know the brand because I shared the package with a friend and I didn't get the wrapper.  They were a traveling show visiting Costco.

I think the closest Big Boy to me is in Burbank.  It's a drive-in and they hold classic car nights there once a month.
totillie
Hamburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/10 01:35:21
A Hatch green chile cheseburger. With White Cheddar cheese and [not authorized] onion. The cheese was not quite successful, but OK. Will purchase different cheese for the next round. I've got lots of roasted and frozen chile, so there will be many more rounds.

I love GCC's and this was great. Kudos to my sweetie, the master griller.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/10 14:31:38
Who do you mean, ann? If it was me, I apologize...I just got back in town last night from being out of internet and cell phone range for several days. I pretty much skipped everything here (and everywhere else on the internet) that got posted before Sunday morning.

Perhaps it was me, scrolling back, as I see you haven't commented in this thread since a couple of days before I left. I do apologize...mar and I have something of an ongoing conversation, so I only answered her specifically. I'm sorry you felt slighted.

Edit:
And tonight's dinner...bacon-wrapped chicken rolls (cream cheese and chive stuffed), baked balsamic sweet onions, and a bag salad topped with grape tomatoes from my neighbour's garden.

post edited by felix4067 - 2012/09/10 19:13:39
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/10 20:50:27
This is the time of year all the vegetables at the farmers mkt are getting cheaper. We grow our own pepper and then fill in from the mkt, its nice to have stuffed peppers a few months from now when the peppers at $1 a piece.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/10 21:01:52
I also apologize and have no idea what you mean, Ann.

I think everything both of us say is for everyone.

That said, I had 2 carnitas tacos and one shrimp taco from my new favorite chain...  Del Taco.  The carnitas tacos are as good as any mom and pop place.  The shrimp, not so much.

Edited to add... just read your post, Ann... how were the brats?  I don't know what else to say.
post edited by mar52 - 2012/09/10 21:07:13
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/10 21:43:32
Ann, I just read you post, too. I can't believe you still had some of those brat buns. They're good, aren't they? We're going to have to head back up to Bucyrus for some more -- plus some more brats from Carle's.
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/11 00:01:45
Salmon and rice tonight!

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 84