Helpful ReplyHot!What's For DINNER ...???

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 77 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/20 13:10:21
ScreamingChicken

My condolences on the loss of your friend, Felix.  Was this one of his favorite meals?

Thank you. The meal had nothing to do with him, actually...I just wanted cheesy, calorie-laden, fat-rich gooey comfort food.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/20 13:29:53
Hey, on behalf of the regular participants in the Cincy-area thread I just wanted to concede the "crown" for "longest thread on Roadfood" to this thread in advance, since I am sure this one will get to 100 pages well before the Cincy thread given the current pace of growth of each

I have to admit - although I come to Roadfood more to learn about commercial/public eateries than home cooked meals, I enjoy checking this one out every now and then.
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/23 21:18:13
T Bone on the grill now - potatoes baking in the oven - and a salad.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/23 21:40:17
I had two fried eggs followed by two pieces of See's Key Lime Pie Truffles.
iluvcfood
Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/23 22:07:23
Gyros and fries for us earlier this afternoon!  

mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/24 21:39:32
Frozen, thawed and microwaved taquitos served with bottled green sauce.

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/24 21:47:11
First day off since Wednesday is also my last day off until next Monday, so I cooked. Decided to call this one "easy cheesy chicken casserole"...Stove Top stuffing underneath, chicken, bacon, peas, carrots, green beans, cheese, couple of cream soups over the top. Looks like hell, tastes fantastic.

chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/24 23:20:31
Seafood chowder.....Razor clams, Willipa Bay oysters, gulf prawns, ling cod, smoked salmon, dungeness crab meat. Caesar salad with fresh Oregon pink shrimp, sourdough bread & butter!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/25 00:37:47
Not fair!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/25 20:29:27

I finally made it to the 5¢ Diner.  It's been highly touted by many and being in Downtown Los Angeles, it just isn't  located in an area that I frequent.  It used to be that nothing was out of the way for me, but now with the price of gas I choose my destinations carefully.

Anyway, I had to take a friend, Karen to the eye doctor that was very close to Downtown.

We usually (read always) go to Phillipe's when in that area, but I remembered 5¢ Diner.

The first thing that amazed me was that I didn't have to find a parking lot.  There were meters on the street and there were a few that were available.  Amazing!  We parked right in front.

After looking at the menu which seemed meager to me I chose the Low-rider Burger. 

There were other burgers, sandwiches and breakfasts on the two-sided piece of paper, menu. 

(Tip to those that print out menus on copy paper...
If they're dirty and wrinkled, print off a few new ones.  Do not hand them to patrons)

Oh, I was almost fooled by the Smac 'n Cheese until I saw...  tomatoes.  Don't mess with my macaroni and cheese.

The Low-rider was a beef patty topped with a whole, seeded Hatch Chile, Pepper Jack Cheese, pickled onions, tomato and a Dijon Mustard sauce.

I gave the tomato slice to Karen who added it to her huge Patty Melt.

The burger was really a thing of beauty but I found it was lacking in flavor.  I couldn't taste the chile, cheese or onions.   Maybe it was just me because one of those flavors should have stood out if not all of them. 

I also ordered a Mint Lemonade, made by them that I loved.

I also ordered something  to go; two of what first made the 5¢ Diner newsworthy.  They sell maple bacon doughnuts.  I should have ordered one.  I forgot to take a picture. 

To describe it best, it was kind of like a glazed doughnut topped with bacon pieces.  I didn't taste the maple flavor at all.  Had it been a good glazed doughnut I would have liked it.  The problem was they started with a doughnut (are you sitting?)...  that I didn't like. 

I've been whining about wanting to go there for a couple of years.  There wasn't anything else on the menu that will take me back there.
iluvcfood
Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/25 21:13:37
Here...............

baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/25 23:02:23
Last night we had bone in grilled chicken breasts marinated in McCormick's Mexican Fiesta marinade and I have to say they were really good - not at all over salted or spiced/herbed.  We had a simple salad with them.

Tonight we decided on easy so we had grilled beef filets with baked potatoes.  
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/26 00:00:20
Greg, the doughnut looks much better in the picture as does the burger.
dimmie2
Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/26 10:28:46
Mar has mentioned that Nickel Diner almost every time we had to go downtown.  I'm glad she has finally gotten it out of her system.

The maple bacon doughnut was horrendous.  Bacon should never be anywhere near a doughnut, I don't care if that's what they're known for.  I don't care for maple either, so it was a complete washout for me.  I might have enjoyed it more if the doughnut itself was good, but it was not.
rajdhani
Junior Burger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/29 04:34:34
Burritos! Set up a burrito bar, complete with veggie and omni options, chips and salsa, and virgin margaritas. :)
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/30 19:04:43
I don't have to work until 8:30 tonight, so I cooked! Guinness beef stew with cheese-herb dumplings and Guinness bread. It was amazing.

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/30 20:48:00
mar52
I finally made it to the 5¢ Diner.  

I've been whining about wanting to go there for a couple of years.  There wasn't anything else on the menu that will take me back there.

I suggested this place for a Hwy 101 food safari trip...almost made it there but I was on a tight schedule and wanted to stay near Union Station...

I think I looked at the menu online, but that was many months ago...I don't remember anything jumping off the menu...

I learned about it on DDD...

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/09/30 21:06:30
Dinner will be a super burger...half pound 80/20 on a toasted 6" seeded bun, seasoned with my own dry seasonings mix, and topped with my bbq sauce blend:

1 part KINDERS bbq sauce (Antioch, CA)
1 part OT's bbq sauce (Walnut Creek, CA)
1 part J LEE ROY's Dipping Sauce (Oroville, CA)
1 fl oz liquid smoke

Mix well...use warm or cold...yummmmm...

I try to make my dry seasonings and sauces in as large a batch as possible...my current stash of dry seasoning should last until St Paddy's day...I use liberal amounts of the bbw sauce concoction, so I need to re-supply at least once a month...

A few eeks ago I was the cook at a neighborhood shindig, and my bbq sauce was featured...I loaded my gas grill up into a utility trailer, strapped it down with truckers cargo straps, and didn't drive fast so folks could admire my mobile bbq set up... (have grill, will travel?)...

Many years ago I made a portable chuck wagon box for a van...I designed it to be as authentic as a novice wood butcher like myself could do without shedding blood...

I greatly admire the COOZIE"S of the west, and while that term has morphed into a name for a drink holder, a REAL Coozie (coosy, coosey) was the chuck wagon cook, and we all know the cook IS the most important key person in camp...

Maybe I'll build a chuck wagon box for my utility trailer, and make  a hoop and canvas covered wagon cover...maybe...

right now it's dinner time...we're in a record setting heat wave...it was 105* today, 64* overnight last night...

fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/10/01 14:28:01
Tonight is the old Breakfast for Dinner. SOS, home fries and a couple eggs on top!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2012/10/01 18:58:34
Only having a half-day off, and having made a vat of stew yesterday, we had the exact same meal as last night. It works.
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/03 18:59:18
Been cooking a lot lately.  Maybe I can start contributing to this thread, my favorite for wasting time. 

That's ham, fried potatoes, broccoli mac & cheese and baked acorn squash.  :)  Don't mind the date.  I hate this camera and hope to get a new one soon.  Don't even want to bother learning to change the date. 
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/03 19:01:34
Bummer.  Guess I don't have privileges to post pics yet.  Sorry.  :(
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/03 21:12:58
Darn rules.  You're a two year member!

Post some more and you'll be able to post pictures.  This thread is the perfect place for it.

I had a California Roll and cucumber salad from How Do You Roll.  Very good!
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/03 21:29:23
Thanks mar!  I've read plenty here, but it's mostly been to pass time.  I am a student and mother of 4, ranging from 12 down to 4 months.  I can't do schoolwork, type and take care of a baby too easily, so I browse, besides I don't get to travel enough to report much :(  I look forward to contributing more.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/04 01:25:46
You don't have to travel or even eat out much here.  Just ask me!

Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/05 18:58:16
Last night was some awesome sloppy Joes made by my future father in law.
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/05 19:03:09
Tonight was thin steaks, loaded mashed potatoes, Romaine salad with cheddar and bacon and Kings Hawaiin rolls.  :)
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/05 20:38:46
You have Kings Hawaiin in Michigan?

They're made not far from here unless they have plants all over the country which I guess could be the case.

I fried up an onion, added sliced chicken apple and brie sausage (Not Aidell's) and scrambled it into eggs.

The freezer is full and there's nothing to eat.  I have to figure that one out.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/05 21:04:44
Yup, we've got King's Hawaiian. Not every store, but a few of them carry them. They're expensive if they're not on sale, though. 

I heated up the rest of the beef stew so it was liquid enough to portion out for freezing, so we ate that for dinner. Next week I'll start cooking again.
post edited by felix4067 - 2012/10/05 21:06:34
SUZYQICU
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/05 21:24:42
Grilled brisket and Swiss cheese sandwich.   Sliced the sandwich in half because the older we get the less we eat..........green salad on the side.  yummy
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/05 22:12:55
Kings Hawaaiin is nation wide. Kentucky Fried Chickens new little sandwiches is served on that.
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/05 22:44:02
Fewer and fewer Kfc's this way.  Disappointing to this 80"s baby as it was kinda a family tradition and their coleslaw has me addicted.  I enjoy their biscuits and gravy also and their chicken is pretty awesome, IMO. 
King's Hawaiin's kinda confuse me. I buy them, when on sale, because there's supposed to be somthing special about them but haven't really found it, other than they are always fresh.  What I am getting at is that a roll is often just a roll, but King's has kinda mastered their market.  I don't taste anything different, except maybe a bit sweeter in Kings, than other brands of dinner rolls.
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/05 22:52:00
Just went back and read responses.  To Felix, laughing cause yes, King's is expensive and I keep making excuses to buy when on sale!  Anyway, we just moved somewhere without a stove/oven.  We have a plug in and have to buy, so since I started becoming vocal here I have had no stove or oven.  I have been working with an electric frying pan, electric roaster and microwave and working my butt off to make good meals on the little we have.  I think that's part of the reason I tried to post here.  I just wanted to show my hard work.  I do love to cook.  :)
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/06 21:17:02
Tonight was really, REALLY bad catering at work. Beef strips in sauce that I think was made of soy sauce and a cup of salt, Spanish rice, and steamed pea pods with baby corn (but no herbs or seasonings of any kind). The only saving grace was the salad bar, which was lettuce, shredded cheese, cucumbers, and your choice of three dressings.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/07 00:38:36
I thought that Kings uses pineapple juice as a sweetener, but I don't know why I'm thinking that.

I had pinto beans and corn bread for dinner.
RubyRose
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/07 09:13:15
Yesterday, I made old-school cannelloni with veal and spinach filling.

love2bake
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/07 10:41:17
SUZYQICU

Grilled brisket and Swiss cheese sandwich.   Sliced the sandwich in half because the older we get the less we eat..........green salad on the side.  yummy

Sounds fabulous!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/07 11:04:57
Yum, Ruby!

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/07 15:05:10
Jennifer...it's not how long you've been here, but how many posts...probably find info in the FAQ section...

Dinner last night was just a super burger...1/2 pound of 80/20 on a Crustini bun...

Tonight is boneless country beef ribs...on the grill...

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/08 00:37:42
I was absolutely BEAT after yesterday, so I got lazy and added peas to my usual crab au gratin recipe.

Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/08 18:12:23
Made my awesome taco salad tonight! Princeton(my 5 year old) begging for seconds, enough for everyone(7 people!) to have thirds. It was just as awesome as always! LOL. Thank ya very much. * pat on my back.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/08 19:23:18
Crustless shrimp quiche and baby carrots in horseradish sauce.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/08 19:38:57
Gotta love horseradish!
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/09 21:00:57
Something I rarely fix that we really love - spaghetti and meatballs - all from scratch - the sauce has been simmering for almost 2 hours and I'm about to do the pasta and garlic bread.

We've had cool fall tempertures since last Friday which is very unusual for us this time of year so I've been doing a lot of cooler weather cooking the past few days - a large pot of beef stew, Mexican cornbread, roasted peanuts  - grilled a pork loin and roasted root vegetables in the oven to go with it - crispy skinned baked potatoes with a grilled NY Strip.

I was having visions of chicken and dumplings and a huge pot of chili this weekend but the temps are heading back into the upper 80's so it'll be back to the grill and salads.  We probably need to cut back after this past week.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/10 20:52:11
I dub tonight's dinner...  Freezer Pho.

I needed to make room in my freezer so I boiled up some chicken backs, necks, wings and thighs I've saved with some vegetables for a real rich broth.

I strained and de-fatted the broth and cooked it with some rice noodles, left over chicken posole and a can of corn.

Don't cringe, it tastes good:

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/10 21:32:20
ann peeples

Gotta love horseradish!

It's one of my favourites, and one of the few spicy/hot things my mother can eat.

Tonight we ended up with Subway due to my doctor being more than two hours behind. By the time I finally got out of her office it was well past when we normally have dinner, and I hadn't had lunch yet.

Mar, I would totally eat that!
post edited by felix4067 - 2012/10/10 21:34:37
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/10 23:08:07
I love horseradish!  There are some chips, horseradish and cheddar, I believe.  I think they may be Herr's brand.  Love them.  They are strong and will singe nose hairs and clear up any congestion.  LOL.  I have gotten people to eat some as a joke.  They're strong!  Anyways, would love to have some pointers on cooking with shrimp and or crab.  What to buy and I'd love to make some crabcakes if anyone has simple, but delish recipes?
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/10 23:32:02
Jennifer, around here you've pretty much got to be independently wealthy in order to afford seafood. But, if you don't mind using the frozen, pre-cooked shrimp and fake crab, I've got some recipes for you. The biggest thing with shrimp is that it cooks very quickly, and is very easy to overcook so it gets chewy.

Here's my crab/salmon/tuna cake recipe, which uses canned crabmeat.
1 small onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 (5 ounce) cans crabmeat, drained, picked over for shells
1 3/4 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 extra large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying

Heat oil in a large skillet; add onion and saute 5 minutes, until starting to get translucent.
Combine all ingredients except second 2 tablespoons oil in a bowl (use your hands, it's easier); form into six patties.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet; brown three patties at a time 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and three patties.
Preheat oven to 450F; spray a baking sheet with sides with cooking spray.
When patties are browned, place on prepared baking sheet and bake at 450F for 15 minutes.
Serve plain, topped with tartar sauce or a squeeze of lemon juice.

You can use a 15 ounce can of salmon, picked over for skin and bones, or canned tuna instead if you'd rather.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/11 19:16:28
Tried a new recipe tonight a friend recommended, and it is KILLER! Creamy chicken enchiladas. Yum!

Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/11 19:42:48
Tonight was baked pork chops, green beans with bacon, Southern fried cabbage and a roll from Meijer.  No stove or oven at the time!  Thank goodness for my roaster and electric pan!  Oh and I took pics, but can't share!   Nanananana!  LOL. 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/11 20:12:08
  So far I've had two Halloween size Snickers.  Six to a package and four of them are staring at me.

I might have the leftover soup later.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/11 20:35:30
Mar..........you know that is naughty!
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/11 21:49:19
Felix, thanks!  That recipe sounds great and I agree, I think meat and seafood are both pretty costly around here.  I see pork and chicken on sale most often.  A bummer because I didn't get a chance to enjoy good steak until the last couple of years and want more now! >:(
  And those chicken enchiladas look so good!  I made chicken fajitas recently.  Yummy!
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/12 08:36:32
felix4067

Jennifer, around here you've pretty much got to be independently wealthy in order to afford seafood.
By "seafood" do you mean "stuff not in Lake Michigan"?  'Cause you're not all that far from the eastern shore.
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/13 11:23:16
Last night was baked chicken, pasta primavera and fried potatoes.  Mmm...
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/13 12:02:31
ScreamingChicken

felix4067

Jennifer, around here you've pretty much got to be independently wealthy in order to afford seafood.
By "seafood" do you mean "stuff not in Lake Michigan"?  'Cause you're not all that far from the eastern shore.

Yes. By seafood, I mean the shrimp, crab, etc. she was asking about (saltwater fish and shellfish). But I have to tell you, proximity to the lake does not in any way mean we get cheap freshwater fish, either. I'm paying well over eight bucks a pound for salmon even when friends are catching them pretty much by throwing a bare hook in the water. (Well, actually I'm not paying that, as I have friends who give me salmon, but that's what the cost is in the store...although Atlantic farm-raised salmon is on sale this week for $5.99/pound.)
post edited by felix4067 - 2012/10/13 12:05:03
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/13 12:30:30
Atlantic salmon, and virtually all of it in stores is farmed, is something to avoid.

According to a Pew study significantly higher levels of cancer-causing and other health-related contaminants are found in farm raised salmon than in wild caught salmon. "The study, published in Science and by far the largest and most comprehensive done to date, concluded that concentrations of several cancer-causing substances in particular are high enough to suggest that consumers should consider severely restricting their consumption of farmed salmon."

Eating more than one meal of farmed salmon a month "could pose unacceptable cancer risks," according to EPA methods for calculating fish consumption advisories.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/16 20:10:26
Finally had enough time off to cook again! Asian roast pork, green bean casserole, and Parmesan ranch potatoes.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/17 10:18:23
I would like your parmesan ranch potato recipe, please!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2012/10/17 12:47:20
I'm almost embarrassed to share, ann, since it's so stupid. But they are really, really good. You can also use cheddar instead of Parmesan, and if I do that I usually add about 6-8 slices of cooked, crumbled bacon into the layers.

6 medium white potatoes, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peppercorn ranch dressing
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (the kind in the can is fine)

Place potato slices, onion and salt in a large pot; cover with water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-high, cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When potatoes are tender; drain mixture well.
Preheat oven to 375F; grease a large casserole (3 quart).
Place 1/3 of the potato-onion mixture in bottom of casserole; drizzle with 1/3 of ranch dressing and sprinkle with 1/3 of Parmesan.
Repeat layers until all ingredients are gone.
Cover casserole and bake at 375F for 20 minutes; remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 77 - Powered by APG vNext Trial