Helpful ReplyHot!What's For DINNER ...???

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 46 of 83
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/28 19:13:15
That meal looks so good Mar! Great job!
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/28 19:31:43
Tonight I made rapini (broccoli rabe) with Italian sausage and pasta. I also sautéed onions, peppers, garlic and salt and pepper to mix in. I always blanch the rapini in boiling water first. When I eat it I like to add lots of Pecorino!

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/28 20:22:59
I had grand and wonderful plans, and then my niece called to tell me she's having a CT scan tomorrow, and if they find the pulmonary embolism they expect to find she'll be going in the hospital for a week (which means instead of hanging out with her this weekend, I'll be watching the kids so her husband can go to work starting Thursday). My head was no longer in food mode, so I grabbed some frozen stuffed, breaded chicken breasts (Italian style), some frozen mixed broccoli and cauilflower, and a can of sliced beets and called it dinner. I often suspect we would starve on days like this if it wasn't for the microwave.
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/28 20:33:33
So sorry to hear that felix4067! Hope it all turns out OK!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/29 18:26:57
HOORAY!!! The official results aren't back yet, but they let her go home from the hospital after the CT scan. Now I can go hang at her house this weekend with her instead of babysitting the kids for five days! Sure, we still have to figure out what the problem is, but this is the third hurdle we've cleared on this particular situation, so I'll take the immediate celebration.

I did leftovers for dinner. Between waiting to hear from her and getting ready to watch hockey tonight, I didn't have time for cooking.
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/29 19:48:48
Well, here is what I planned to grill tonight.

I did and it all came out great! Pulaski franks and smoked kielbasa, Johnsonville brats, a couple of Bruce Aidell's portabella sausages and two skinless Best's hotdogs(for my one daughter who doesn't want that "snap"). I split the kielbasa to get a crunchy exterior.
When done, they devoured everything so fast, I didn't get a good after picture! This is all that was left!

It was like vultures had descended!
love2bake
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/29 19:58:06
"It was like vultures had descended! "

I sure would... 

Think I'll go thaw out some Evergoods now.
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/29 20:14:36
I guess I've spoiled my family with the variety? I'm pretty sure my son ate all of the brats! At least the dish of cut up carrots, I served, was empty too!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/29 21:58:41
Excellent Agnes!

I'd go low with my elbow out to grab my favorite hot dog...the Best!
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/05/29 22:03:11
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/29 22:20:12
Felix... glad to hear the good news!

Agnes...  I made a huge, varied German meal one Mother's Day and also had an assortment of sausages.  It was like nothing mattered except for those sausages as my family ravaged them.

Yours look excellent!

I'm having frozen pizza and a Michelob Ultra.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/29 22:34:00
Nothing wrong with being spoiled either...
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/30 19:05:28
Tonight I made shrimp etouffee.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/30 19:35:21
Oh Baby!

Share your secrets to that!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/30 19:39:08
Oh My!  I'd probably lick the plate.

Going to heat up the left over tri-tip with bbq sauce and have a couple sliders.  Also eating delicious cantaloupe after buying a few that weren't fit to eat.
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/30 20:25:29
I'll post the recipe tomorrow when I get a chance! I also make it with crawfish. A local fish store sells crawfish tails, frozen. I used the shrimp because I had it on hand along with all of the other ingredients. I didn't have to go out in 90 degree heat to get anything!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/30 20:32:10
Thank you Agnes!

I hear ya about the heat! It's gonna be fruit salad - feta & popsicle day tomorrow.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/30 22:20:42
Tri-tip revisited:

love2bake
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/05/30 22:40:42
Agnes - I love your oak leaf plate!! 
I'd be happy to have the etouffe in it, too.
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/02 21:33:27
Tonights dinner.......  (Sunday)

Halibut served with avocado and white rice topped with chopped onion.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/02 23:30:41
Looks good, Greg,  I'll have one more piece of fish, Please.

Who cut that lemon?
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 00:19:46
mar52

Looks good, Greg,  I'll have one more piece of fish, Please.

Who cut that lemon?

It came from the tree that way........pre sliced!      Nahhhhhhh  twasnt me!
My tree is so full again it's time to start giving them away.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 00:24:33
I ran away for a few days, which means I've been eating kid food since the short people have more power over dinner than the tall ones at my niece's house. Didn't figure I needed to report mac & cheese with cut up hot dogs, or PB&J with applesauce. But tonight after I got home I gorged myself on bread. We went to the farmer's market Saturday, where there are two different Amish bakeries. Dinner tonight was two pieces each of: Dill (white bread base), bacon-cheddar (sourdough base), and cheddar-pretzel. For dessert, a raspberry-swirl that felt like monkey bread in texture, with icing.

I'm all carbed out, and it was fabulous.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 00:33:40
We had an early dinner.  I picked up salads at California Pizza Kitchen.

I had a roasted vegetable salad that was served with a balsamic dressing.  I'll order it again!

We just finished some cantaloupe.  Did you know there's  a difference in taste between those that cost $1 a piece and those that are $3?  It was sweet and delicious.

Sharon sprinkles it with salt and pepper and as long as she cuts it up and prepares it for me I won't complain.  It's not bad with salt and pepper.
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 00:39:37
I'll pass on the pepper but I have always used salt on mine.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 01:19:13
Try the pepper.  It was good.

My lemon trees are also covered right now.  I should make some lemon something.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 09:01:17
mar52

We had an early dinner.  I picked up salads at California Pizza Kitchen.

I had a roasted vegetable salad that was served with a balsamic dressing.  I'll order it again!

We just finished some cantaloupe.  Did you know there's  a difference in taste between those that cost $1 a piece and those that are $3?  It was sweet and delicious.

Sharon sprinkles it with salt and pepper and as long as she cuts it up and prepares it for me I won't complain.  It's not bad with salt and pepper.

I would like to think the people I like will be around for along time. It's bad enough there is so much salt in prepared foods, now we have to put salt on fresh fruit that is good for us. ...Tell Sharon she is on my S & P  list..........that would be Sh-t with a dash of pepper...........why don't you just put a salt lick in the living room....................pnwc
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 09:47:07
My entire family has always put a little salt on cantaloupe, from before the time there was prepared food (or at least prepared food that was readily available as it is now). It enhances the taste, and a light sprinkling of salt is actually not unhealthy.

*I assume it enhances the taste. I'm deathly allergic to the stuff and can't eat anything it's so much as waved hello to across the room.
post edited by felix4067 - 2013/06/03 09:48:21
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 10:59:54
felix4067

My entire family has always put a little salt on cantaloupe, from before the time there was prepared food (or at least prepared food that was readily available as it is now). It enhances the taste, and a light sprinkling of salt is actually not unhealthy.

*I assume it enhances the taste. I'm deathly allergic to the stuff and can't eat anything it's so much as waved hello to across the room.

Felix, my wife puts salt on Watermelon and cantaloupe, this is just my chance to throw a dig at Mar & Sharon...........Your right, going back yrs ago we never had the processed food like we do today. I guess we substituted salt for high fat. I would bet, because of convenience a lot of people cook processed foods now a days. I don't think there is anything you can't get in processed foods now. When I was going to Restaurant food show, I could not believe the amount of processed food available for food service...........It is here to stay, but, I am still going to kick Mar in the butt every chance I can............and she knows it................pnwc
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 13:14:26
mar52

Try the pepper.  It was good.

My lemon trees are also covered right now.  I should make some lemon something.

I didnt know you had Lemon trees in your condo! ?
Lemons are awesome and can be used for a lot of things.  During the Summer we will make fresh squeezed lemonade from them.  They are also great for squeezing on fish, shrimp or other sea food items as well as many other things as well.
One of the GREATEST aspects of lemons are their healing power.......yep........healing power.
Besides Chicken soup being one of the best cold/flu remedies, lemons run a close first!  
When you are sick you take a whole lemon (cut into pieces) , put it in boiling water until the lemon all but falling apart and add perhaps a spoonful of sugar and drink the liquid as HOT as you can possibly stand it (NOT warm but HOT)  I guarantee you 100% that if you do this a couple of times per day for 2 days max that your cold/flu will be almost gone completely!  
Old English recipe.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 13:29:51
Ouch!  So that was Bill kicking me....

Greg, we have a couple good producing lemon trees by the pool.  Most of the people here ignore them, but there are a few of us that know that those yellow things hanging on the tree are lemons.

My guava tree has really grown big but the fruit it produces are still the size of berries. 

We just bought rat bait things because they're digging in our new plants and last year they ate everything.  Maybe I should just sprinkle salt around.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 13:32:27
Hot lemon water?
Hot tea and honey?
Hot booze and water?

Maybe it's just the hot water that is good.
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 13:47:11
mar52

Ouch!  So that was Bill kicking me....

Greg, we have a couple good producing lemon trees by the pool.  Most of the people here ignore them, but there are a few of us that know that those yellow things hanging on the tree are lemons.

My guava tree has really grown big but the fruit it produces are still the size of berries. 

We just bought rat bait things because they're digging in our new plants and last year they ate everything.  Maybe I should just sprinkle salt around.

Living in the Country as we do we have been inundated with all kinds of creatures!  Rabbits were mainly the worst as they ate ALL of our veggies as well as many plants.  We finally managed to discourage them by sprinkling bloodmeal around the veggies and the plants they liked and it helped a lot.  This year surprisingly we havent seen hide nor hair (no pun intended) of any.
As to rats.........  OMG..............last year and the year before we had HUGE rats that we couldnt seem to get rid of!  I bought the big rat traps from HD and set them every day and would catch as many as 3 or 4 a day.   We finally bought those rat poison pellet boxes and set them everywhere.  That worked VERY well and seemed to get rid of them.  ONLY problem with the poison is that they eat it or bring it back to feed their young and then die leaving the dead bodies wherever the nest is!  Problem is that they die sometimes under the house and as they decay they stink to high heaven and unless you can crawl under the house to retrieve the dead bodies the smell lasts seemingly forever!  We put boxes of moth balls under the house to kill the smell but it takes awhile to work!
NOW...........we have a feral cat problem!!! 
IF we leave our Birdies outside a feral cat wants to get to them and eat them!  It even came in the house where the birds sit in front of the French doors for fresh air and try to get to them.   Feral cats are EXTREMELY dangerous, vicious and dont scare away easily as they have NO fear!  They hiss at you and carry MANY types of diseases.  This particular cat is about the size of a small dog!  
Havent figured this one out yet!  Animal control wants to charge $150.00-$200.00 to come out and assess the problem and to set traps!
Crap!  
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 13:53:19
Salt + pepper + lemon zest together will make a beautiful lemon seasoning....without leaving home.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/06/03 13:55:48
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 18:01:30
Tonight it's soft shell crabs, one of my daughter Katie's favorite things. I dredge them in flour mixed with some salt and pepper.

I shake off the excess and fry them in half butter and half oil. Delicious!

Our first of the season! I'm sure we'll have many more!!
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 18:22:42
I just realized I forgot to post my shrimp etouffee recipe. Here it is. I also make it with frozen crawfish tails when I have them.
Shrimp Etouffee
1/4 Cup cooking oil
1/2 Cup Flour
1 1/2 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 medium onion finely chopped
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
4-5 sprigs parsley, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
Salt and Red Pepper to taste

Make a roux with the oil and flour. Cook only to a light brown color( I generally like mine, for this, the color of a paper bag when using crawfish and slightly lighter for shrimp).
Add the remaining ingredients. Cover pot or skillet and cook over very low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you see sufficient gravy. Since you do not add water to this dish, slow and low is a must. It really makes a beautiful gravy, almost like magic! So simple but so delicious!
I got this recipe from Pirate's Pantry, published by "The Junior League of Lake Charles, La". My husband is from Lake Charles and this cookbook was a gift from my Mother in Law who passed on many years ago. I really treasure it. I have to say, though, that my husband's etouffee is totally different. He doesn't follow a recipe but makes it how his Mom always did. And nobody can beat his gumbo, also, no recipe!

post edited by agnesrob - 2013/06/03 18:27:10
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 19:17:32
agnesrob

Tonight it's soft shell crabs, one of my daughter Katie's favorite things. I dredge them in flour mixed with some salt and pepper.

I shake off the excess and fry them in half butter and half oil. Delicious!

Our first of the season! I'm sure we'll have many more!!

Excuse my stupidity but you dont eat the shells on those crabs do you?  If not.......why season them that way if they dont get eaten??
love2bake
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 19:27:19
mar52

Hot lemon water?
Hot tea and honey?
Hot booze and water?

Maybe it's just the hot water that is good.

Except for the tea, that's my hot whiskey recipe, which I love to drink when I'm sick. I also use cloves in it.

Thank you for posting the recipe, Agnes!
post edited by love2bake - 2013/06/03 19:29:34
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 19:37:47
Soft Shell Crabs!  One of my favorite meals next to King Crab Legs.

Greg..  They shed their shells and the new shell that is forming underneath is soft and edible and delicious.

I've copied your recipe, Agnes... Thanks!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 19:49:11
Thank you very much Agnes!
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 21:21:29
You are all welcome for the recipe and yes, iluvcfood, you are able to eat the whole thing! So delicious!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/03 22:01:06
Tonight was:

mini cinnamon rolls
gummy worms
gummy bears
tortilla chips
queso with salsa
pork egg rolls
tang
vanilla cow tails

EXTRA Insulin

Just one of those days
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 02:06:32
Two lemon meringue pop tarts. One vanilla yogurt. One raspberry yogurt. One chocolate chip fiber bar. One small container cottage cheese.

This is what happens when you get up too late to make and pack a lunch, and then end up never leaving work for 12 1/2 hours. Everything I brought I could just toss in my lunch bag with some blue ice and run out the door.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 06:56:41
Agnes-beautiful photos of the soft shell cabs-never had them in land locked Wisconsin...   And thanks for the recipe!!!
love2bake
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 09:04:30
Cajun - had to look up vanilla cow tails, and now I'll have to find some. 
Felix - maybe I shouldn't admit this, but those lemon meringue pop tarts sound pretty darn good!  It reminds me of a comedy routine I saw by Paula Poundstone.  Here's a quote from it:

"Inside there are three pouches of two. This is what happens to me: I open the first pouch, and I eat one tart, and I enjoy it very much, as naturally I would. And then I feel, Well, I have to eat the second one or it will go stale. Well, now I’ve eaten two, and it’s no longer just a snack, it’s a meal. I figure I may as well eat two more. And then finally I’m just like, Well hell, I don’t just want two pop tarts hangin’ out in a box. I eat the last two just to tidy up, really." — Paula Poundstone, in her 1990 special Cats, Cops, and Stuff
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 09:22:28
Agnes...Pirate's Pantry is a SUPERSTAR in Junior League cookbooks...

http://www.jllc.net/?nd=pirates_pantry

Junior League cookbooks rock! Recipes are tried & true. "Test kitchens" last several generations. Proceeds from sales support local communities.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/06/04 09:32:45
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 13:49:39
CC,  I have quite a few cook books put together by all kinds of organizations including two others from Louisiana but none of them beats the Pirate's Pantry!
agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 19:11:35
Got out of work early today so I made a pot of spaghetti sauce. I used Cento canned San Marzano  tomatoes, fresh herbs, Italian sausage and pork neck bones.

Here is the sausage and neck bones. I used the meat from the neck bones to add to the "Squash Lasagna" I made for my husband who really needs to eat low carb as much as possible. I used both zucchini and yellow squash. To the ricotta I added fresh chopped chives, parsley and an egg. 

My son Kyle and daughter Emily had the sauce with angel hair pasta. Katie came home from work famished and declared she was so hungry she could even eat the squash lasagna! She loved it. I love a successful dish!

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 19:13:49
Good gravy Agnes!!!

Gotta have the neck bones!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 19:31:53
Neck bones. Snif snif snif...

agnesrob
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 19:35:38
Love bones! They add so much flavor to any dish!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 22:42:24
For dinner tonight lleechef served grilled marinated skirt steak, a sliced tomato salad with a chiffonade of basil, fresh chopped oregano and extra virgin olive oil. It was followed by two cheeses, a reblochon and a fourme d'ambert, butter and sliced baguette. With dinner we had a DeLoach cabernet sauvignon. lleechef ordered these two cheeses, plus several more, from France and they arrived today.
love2bake
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 23:04:34
That looks and sounds awesome, Agnes.

Poor CC - I guess there are a few things you can't find in NJ or NY...
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/04 23:09:44
That is so true and just I stopped crying a few minutes ago.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? 2013/06/05 05:55:11
Watch out, Mr.Hoffman- may have to move in for those kind of meals!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2013/06/06 22:29:10
Does she know you're using her computer?
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2013/06/06 22:29:49
I just had a Big Stick for dinner.

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2013/06/06 23:58:25
Chicken thigh marinated in teriyaki, ginger, allspice and nutmeg, with garlic couscous and some kinda frozen mixed vegetable blend. Not gourmet, but it's been about eight years since I've had time to cook.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2013/06/07 09:17:21
Eggplant parmigiana and a side of penne for me. Eggplant parmigiana and a Caesar salad for lleechef, the only Italian I know who doesn't much care for macaroni. Oh, and a fine red wine -- something called Paisano.
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2013/06/07 09:33:47
"Fine" wine?????????????????
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:What's For DINNER ...??? 2013/06/07 09:44:54
jaylhorner

"Fine" wine?????????????????

Sure. A very rare vintage. It's so hard to find I buy it by the gallon just to make certain I'll have some available.
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 46 of 83