What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 17
Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/24 09:34:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wannabchef

http://www.hitchingpost1.com/Menu.html

Can't beat this one - I'm most fond of the Santa Maria style BBQ.

Jeepers, is that expensive!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/24 10:05:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

quote:

???
Full Dinners include:
Fresh Vegetable Tray, Crackers & Butter
Bay Shrimp Cocktail or Fruit Cocktail
Mixed Green Salad
Baked Potato or Homemade French Fries* or BBQ Vegetables
Garlic Bread
Coffee or Tea
Ice Cream or Sherbet
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/24 10:46:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

quote:

quote:

???
Full Dinners include:
Mixed Green Salad
Garlic Bread
Coffee or Tea
Ice Cream or Sherbet

But it isn't a cue joint at that point, it's a nice place that grills their meat.
Green salads and bay shrimp cocktails don't fit within my parameters, I guess.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/24 11:29:27 (permalink)
true, true. You are correct Sir.
Bkemdanno
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/25 14:53:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

In 1981, my family and I ate at Stubby's Hickory Pit BBQ in Hot Springs, AR and our lives were forever changed. Before then, brisket was corned beef or pastrami. In addition to the incredible meat was the best (and biggest) pit-cooked baked potato I've ever eaten. We were tempted to drink the sauce in lieu of sweet tea. Thanks to Michael and Jane--it was in their first RoadFood book. Has anyone been there in the recent past? Still good?
Bkemdanno
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/25 14:59:26 (permalink)
quote:

In 1981, my family and I ate at Stubby's Hickory Pit BBQ in Hot Springs, AR and our lives were forever changed. Before then, brisket was corned beef or pastrami. In addition to the incredible meat was the best (and biggest) pit-cooked baked potato I've ever eaten. We were tempted to drink the sauce in lieu of sweet tea. Thanks to Michael and Jane--it was in their first RoadFood book. Has anyone been there in the recent past? Still good?

I used to eat at Stubbys at the Park Ave location in the 70's- It was mouth watering...especially the cole slaw. I havent found any close to the flavor of Stubby's like it was back then. In the 90's I went to one of the newer locations and couldn't wait for the coleslaw. When it came to me it was a small portion in a styrofoam container with no taste....like it was dished out of a 5 gallon generic pail. If anyone remembers the old cole slaw at Stubby's and can forward on a location for similar or the recipe, that would make my life complete! Thanks.
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/25 15:31:29 (permalink)
after all these years of enjoying BBQ all over this great country I still find Memphis to be the best location and the Rendezvous as my all time favorite. ..............

[url]www.hogsfly.com.[/url]
thediningroom
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/25 15:40:47 (permalink)
Steve's Soul Food in Detroit, Michigan. Stevies is a 2 level huge institution that serves the world's best bbq pork ribs and bbq chicken. They had a portable trailer down at the Olyimiacs(sp) when it was in Atlanta, that speaks volumes that a northen bbq restaurant can do business in the south!
BBq King
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/25 16:18:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bkemdanno

quote:

I used to eat at Stubbys at the Park Ave location in the 70's- It was mouth watering...especially the cole slaw. I havent found any close to the flavor of Stubby's like it was back then. In the 90's I went to one of the newer locations and couldn't wait for the coleslaw. When it came to me it was a small portion in a styrofoam container with no taste....like it was dished out of a 5 gallon generic pail. If anyone remembers the old cole slaw at Stubby's and can forward on a location for similar or the recipe, that would make my life complete! Thanks.

I second the motion about Stubby's. I always thought it was far superior to McClards. I think the secret about the Park Ave locaton was that the ovens hadn't been cleaned since the place opened and a nice blanket of flavorful crud had built up,
BBq King
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/25 16:21:22 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

quote:

quote:

???
Full Dinners include:
Mixed Green Salad
Garlic Bread
Coffee or Tea
Ice Cream or Sherbet

But it isn't a cue joint at that point, it's a nice place that grills their meat.
Green salads and bay shrimp cocktails don't fit within my parameters, I guess.

When I think of anta Maria BBQ, I only consider Tri-tip, which I missed on the menu. All else isn't even in the discussion.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4058
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/26 16:31:17 (permalink)
Even though I am a true believer in Eastern NC minced whole pork (see above), I live in Dallas and just had the best pork spare ribs I can remember at Rudy's BBQ (north access of Dallas Tollway @ the FC Dallas stadium) in Frisco, TX. Rudy's is a small TX BBQ chain and I enjoyed them so much on a business trip to Lubbock last year I just had to try their new store here in Collin County. That said, I sampled my wife's brisket and "was not impressed".
acmalcolm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/26 20:24:20 (permalink)
Here's my list. However,I retain the right to change my mind at any time.Best Western NC style:Lexington #1 in Lexington,NC.Best ribs (not sauced):Cooper's in Llano,TX. Best ribs (sauced):Archibald's in Northport,AL. Best Memphis-style ribs:Germantown Commissary in Germantown,TN. Best Memphis sandwich: A&R on Elvis Presley Blvd.(also don't miss their caramel cake).Best Memphis other:cornish game hen at Cozy Corner. Best Texas brisket:(tied)Luling City Market in Luling and Kreuz' Market in Lockhart. Best Texas sausage (tied):Southside Market in Elgin and Smitty's in Lockhart.Honorable Mention has to go to:Abe's in Clarksdale,MS (sandwich);Leatha's in Hattiesburg,MS (sandwich);Payle's in Memphis (sandwich);Central in Memphis (ribs).Some famous,some not so. All killer.
wfmitchell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/29 11:09:35 (permalink)
Dreamland BBQ ribs in various Alabama locations are the best ribs I've ever had.

I cook them myself and placed 2nd in the Virginian Pilots Best Ribs in Hampton Roads contest in 2007. I lost by one point and competed against the five best BBQ restaurants in the five city area. I say this for credibility.

Dreamland's ribs are just spectular.
Scylla0809
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/31 11:15:08 (permalink)
My mother dragged the family over to every BBQ joint she heard of when I was a kid; always looking for BBQ "as good as [somebody] and Bones" that she ate in the 30s. The very best she would dismiss with "just not as good." We finally found 'cue that good at Wilber's in Goldsboro, NC. She was looking for DownEast style all along! The best DownEast I've had is the Skylight Inn (Jones BBQ) in Ayden NC. But I lived in Little Rock Arkansas in the 70s and used to get a great (at least in my memory) BBQ sandwich in the Arkansas style at a small, unairconditioned, red painted house just north of Baseline Road. I can't remember the name.
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/31 12:17:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wfmitchell

Dreamland BBQ ribs in various Alabama locations are the best ribs I've ever had.

I cook them myself and placed 2nd in the Virginian Pilots Best Ribs in Hampton Roads contest in 2007. I lost by one point and competed against the five best BBQ restaurants in the five city area. I say this for credibility.

Dreamland's ribs are just spectular.

I need to get down to the restaurant and try them but the ribs I received from them by mail were not very good at all. I keep hearing good things so I'll give them a visit when we head down to Austin in the spring.

LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/31 12:44:23 (permalink)
ROFL, my own I guess

LL

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/31 12:51:38 (permalink)
The first three answers I have won't do anybody any good:

1. Rudy's in Coral Gables, FL (closed)

2. My Place near Sweetwater, FL (closed)

3. Dirty Don's BBQ (Private Club, by invitation only.)

4. I really enjoyed some Fiorello's Jack Stack ribs that someone air-freighted to me as a gift.

5. The Pit, 17 miles west of Miami on US41.

6. St. City Church of God 9302 NW 22nd Ave Miami, FL Ribs, Rib sandwiches, Sweet Potato Pie, Souse. ("Inner" city, take-out-only)
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2007/12/31 13:47:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

4. I really enjoyed some Fiorello's Jack Stack ribs that someone air-freighted to me as a gift.

They are next on my list..guess I'll get that order in today.
Smokinq72
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/04 07:44:33 (permalink)
There is a great story at the following website that sort of explains our obsession with Barbecue. http://www.storysouth.com/winter2003/bbqframe.html/

I have only had one bad experience with "real slow pit smoked barbecue" in my life. Whether it was brisket, sausage, chicken, ribs or pork (pulled, chopped or sliced). So does it really matter who thinks they have had the best or have the best?

As a certified Memphis Barbecue Network Judge, formerly Memphis in May, I can say that I have had some very good barbecue. But we are trained to judge our daily intake of barbecue as that which is the "best" that day and not compare it to what we cook, where we normally eat or where we take friends to eat when they come to town. Barbecue is a very personal thing, each of us has a criteria we look for each time we choose to eat barbecue. Some of us like it spicy, some sweet, some with lots of smoke and a bite, some with a mellow smoke, smoke so hot it burns your lips before it gets to your tongue and then there are those that don't know squat about any of this and cook their BBQ in a slow cooker or in the oven with out the benefit of smoke or charcoal. Yes, Barbecue is personal. My favorites will not be your favorites, but darn if I don't know what yours are so I can try them too!! 'Cause my taste buds are always looking for another BARBECUE JOINT.
Mine are in no particular order:
Interstate - Memphis, TN
Johnny's - Cullman, AL
Greenbrier - Mooresville, AL
Maurice's Piggie Park - Columbia, SC
Country's - Columbus, GA (Good for a chain)
Big Bob Gibson's - Decatur, AL (best chicken you'll ever eat)
Archibald's - Tuscaloosa, AL
Mizlou's - Columbus, MS
Little Dooey - Columbus and Starkville, MS (try the tamales, also)
Horne's - Elba, AL
Dreamland - Tuscaloosa, AL (they don't call it Dreamland for nothin')
Gibson's - Huntsville, AL (different family)
Byron's - Auburn, AL (great for football weekends)
Ubon's - Yazoo City, MS
Sam's - Killeen, TX
Rendevous - Memphis, TN (but don't eat the ribs, the bbq nachos and pork plates are much better)

These are just the ones that come to mind quickly, all have very good food and are recommended.
Bama Q
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/07 18:31:14 (permalink)
The Brick Pit in Mobile Al will change your whole concept of what BBQ is all about. Chicken smoked for 6 hrs, ribs for 12hrs, and shoulders for 25 to 30hrs over pecan and hickory. Look it up in one of Jane and Michaels books. On The Splended Table, (MPR program),they called The Brick Pit a "Pork Epiphany". Franklin Graham said they were the best ribs he ever had, and if you can't trust him, who can you trust? Pull up their web and find out for yourself.
krew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/07 18:45:37 (permalink)
If you are coming in Kansas City you might check out this web link. A group of locals visit a different KC BBQ joint every month and post their reviews at

http://www.gasbbq.net/

I have found some great out of the way local places (I live in KC) from that web site.

Top 5 (all in KC):

1. Arthur Bryant's
2. Gates and Sons
3. Rosedale (in KC, KS)
4. 135th Street BBQ (Martin City)
5. Jack Stack (Martin City)

honorable mention, Quick's in KC, KS

norton
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 14:29:09 (permalink)
I didn't wade thru every page here, but Jim-N-Nicks outside of Birmingham was the best I ever came across. Where I live in Indiana there is absolutely NO BBQ places worth mentioning and last summer we made the trip to Owensboro to Moonlight. I thought it was awful and really greasy. Never go back and I don't know why everybody raves about it.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6250
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 14:43:55 (permalink)
Hi,
For my money,of all the states I've tried barbecue in,Kansas city is the best. Arthur Bryants is famous and very good, but a lesser known gem is Rosedale Barbeque. There is a whole thread on it, and there is a link there for a video about the place.
My wife lived in KC for many years when she worked at Hallmark cards..and for her, and many of her friends, Rosedale Barbeque was the best..haven't had the thrill of eating there in recent years..but since the same family still owns it...I'll guess the food is just as good...and the prices just as cheap.
leethebard
jettababs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 14:44:57 (permalink)
My husband and I thought the Rendevous in Memphis was great, until a friend of ours who's from there suggested Central BBQ. The last time we took a roadtrip south, we actually detoured about three hours out of the way just to eat their ribs and mac and cheese. I have dreams about those ribs. Heavenly, smoky, juicy, flavorful. There's a BBQ place in Indy, called Hogshead BBQ, that serves Memphis-style dry rub ribs that are about as good as you can get this far north. When I get take-out after work, it's all I can do to get them all home safely and intact.
norton
Junior Burger
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 15:36:56 (permalink)
If you don't mind me asking, where is this Hogshead bbq please? I make trips to Indy occasionally.
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 15:44:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Hi,
For my money,of all the states I've tried barbecue in,Kansas city is the best. Arthur Bryants is famous and very good, but a lesser known gem is Rosedale Barbeque. There is a whole thread on it, and there is a link there for a video about the place.
My wife lived in KC for many years when she worked at Hallmark cards..and for her, and many of her friends, Rosedale Barbeque was the best..haven't had the thrill of eating there in recent years..but since the same family still owns it...I'll guess the food is just as good...and the prices just as cheap.
leethebard

I forgot to comment on the Rosedale post just how inexpensive it is. Beef on a bun in $3.75! It was a large oblong hoagie type bun with sesame seeds.
The fries were enough for 2 people and were $1.85
They sell RC cola!
jettababs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 15:55:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by norton

If you don't mind me asking, where is this Hogshead bbq please? I make trips to Indy occasionally.

Sure, it's in Broad Ripple, across from the Monon Trail in a little white house. I think they have a website, if you Google it. It's around 65th & Cornell, but I'm not positive, I just always follow my nose. It's really good, right up there with King Ribs or Judge's, but different.
norton
Junior Burger
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 16:01:19 (permalink)
Thanks jettababs. I was just in Broadripple here a while back and was looking for something to eat and ended up at the corner wine bar. Awful! I wish I would have known about it then.
Mossman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 19:59:25 (permalink)
It would have to be"Smitty's Barbeque" in Panama City Florida

http://www.smittys-bbq.com/
pglenn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 22:35:54 (permalink)
living in the fort lauderdale area we have MANY BBQ places (georgia pig for one comes to mind)... but I also feel that different meats, even different side dishes for the meats, almost beg for different BBQ sauces to be used, which of course works well for home and picnic meals...

being that I happen to sell hot sauces and BBQ sauces myself, I ALWAYS have a great selection to choose from :-) and I always have at least 3 or 4 open bottles in the fridge to choose from at any time

Patrick
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1