What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/23 23:58:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com
The Smoke House in Braselton, Georgia.

Wheregregeats,
Great Caesar's ghost! I still haven't made it up there, only 26 miles from my very chair. And there's ANOTHER good 'cue place in Hoschton, just south of Braselton!
Looks like my "must-try" list just keeps getting longer and longer....
As If On 'Cue, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/24 00:08:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1
I would have to say it is: Sonny's BBQ on Tyvola Rd in Charlotte, NC

Anselmo,
This isn't a part of the same-named chain, is it?
Cue'riously, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/24 00:15:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com
Dillard's, Buford, GA ...

Dearfolk,
And another one to try....
On Cue, Getting Hungrier And Hungrier, Ort. Carlton in Mighty Nigh On Nearby Athens.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/24 00:16:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew
Best Brunswick Stew- Chad's- Buford, GA

Dearfolk,
Groan... another one.
So Near But So Far, Ort. in 30601.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/24 00:21:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by planojim
Best cornbread-Harolds, Atlanta GA

Dearfolk,
NOW we're talkin'! It's got cracklin's in it, like used to be in Ma Groover's at her late, lamented Pig & Plate in Valdosta, Georgia (which I found in my first Sterns book ever and visited two or three times before it closed).
That cornbread at Harold's was originally made by Harold Hembree's mother, and now it is made by his widow, or so I am told... his mama would have to be 105 years old if she was still with us; the place opened in 1947.
Well-Bread (And Wishing I Had A Hunk Of It - RAT Now!), Ort. Carlton in 68-Miles-Too-Far-Away Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/24 00:27:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Linda A
There is a great little mom-n-pop rib joint across from Old Town Suwanee off Peachtree Industrial in north Atlanta. It's called Dillards and you can smell the pit-cooked ribs a mile before you get there. Tiny place next to the railroad tracks; if you wear socks, you're too dressy.

Another good choice for ribs is in Columbus, GA and is called Country's. The pit aroma will drive you crazy with rib-lust! Best sides ever, too.

Linda A,
Thank you for your better directions to Dillard's -- it was mentioned elsewhere as being in Buford. No, it's not -- not by a dam site!
Country's has several locations. You ought to opt for the one in downtown Columbus, something like 1320 Broadway, in the old bus depot. And make sure you order you up a baked sweet potato... ooh, boy... some fine eatin' there!
As If On 'Cue Again, Ort. Carlton in Lovely Athens.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/24 00:34:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorDan
Lots of good BBQ in the greater Atlanta area. In no particular order:

Sam & Dave's (2 locations in Marietta)- brisket is outstanding.
Harold's in south Atlanta - cracklin' cornbread, yummmm!
Old South BBQ in Smyrna - nearest to me and always good.
Spiced Right BBQ in Lilburn (also now in Roswell)just rite Brunswick stew.
Williamson Bros in Marietta - excellent sauce.

you can't go wrong at any of these places, but currently, my
favorite is Spiced Right.
Doctor Dan

Doctor Dan,
You're going to make me a busy eater when I manage the time to go try all these places! I've been to Harold's and Spiced Right, and have to admire your taste.
An old friend tells me that I haven't lived because I've never been to the Old South BBQ in Smyrna.
Now -- have you ever been to Anderson Bros. BBQ on Willis Mill Road in Adamsville in S/W Atlanta? It's a perfectly safe place; a single (Southern white) woman I know goes out there frequently by herself, and has always been treated very well by everyone.
Sometimes I think that good barbecue is the ultimate equalizer; the finest experience to be shared; the one thing you just can't hoard for yourself.
All 'Cued Up And Ready, Ort. Carlton in Athens.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/24 00:39:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Duesy
Famous Dave's.

Dearfolk,
Or, as I offered when one opened near me (it has since closed after only a six-month-or-so run) "Dave's can't be too famous. I've never heard of it before now."
Confucus-Ort. say: Beware of any restaurant that tells you how famous it is or how good it is. Chances are that you'll be plumb disappointed.
Saccharinely, Ort. in 30601.
P. S. That probably sums up Dave's Famous Sauce, too... gloppy and sweeeeeeeeet. Glarb.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/24 00:50:58 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
The best I've found thusfar in Athens, Georgia (among surely 25 places) has to be Jot 'Em Down Country Store at 150 East Whitehall Road. I've only been there once and it's clear across town from my house, but it's worth the drive. It's a woodburner, too.
A place that has been highly recommended to me (but I haven't been there yet) is Carithers 'N' Scott Bar-B-Que at 4007 Danielsville Road, about 4 miles north of town. It's a real woodburner; you can smell the smoke all up and down the road. It's on OLD U. S. 29 north.
Next to Jot 'Em Down, I think I like The Barbecue Shack on Lexington Road the best.
Wishfully, Ort. Carlton in Pit(i)less Athens, Georgia.
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 442
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/01/24 08:40:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
The best I've found thusfar in Athens, Georgia (among surely 25 places) has to be Jot 'Em Down Country Store at 150 East Whitehall Road. I've only been there once and it's clear across town from my house, but it's worth the drive. It's a woodburner, too.
A place that has been highly recommended to me (but I haven't been there yet) is Carithers 'N' Scott Bar-B-Que at 4007 Danielsville Road, about 4 miles north of town. It's a real woodburner; you can smell the smoke all up and down the road. It's on OLD U. S. 29 north.
Next to Jot 'Em Down, I think I like The Barbecue Shack on Lexington Road the best.
Wishfully, Ort. Carlton in Pit(i)less Athens, Georgia.

I wish I could match Ort's Athens barbeque experience, but I have been to Jot 'em Down and it is indeed very good barbeque. The others will have to be really good to match it. Only downside is you can't get a Budweiser with the barbeque, so you have to take it home for that.

wfmitchell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/11 15:35:18 (permalink)
quote:
Only downside is you can't get a Budweiser with the barbeque, so you have to take it home for that.

Exactly why would anyone want a Budweiser?
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/11 17:01:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wfmitchell

quote:
Only downside is you can't get a Budweiser with the barbeque, so you have to take it home for that.

Exactly why would anyone want a Budweiser?

Because it's better than Milwaukee's Best, Red, White and Blue, and Pabst Blue Ribbon for starters.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/12 00:21:27 (permalink)
And that's just about the enders too!
wfmitchell
Junior Burger
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/13 15:59:02 (permalink)
I think I'd rather give up BBQ than have to drink a Budweiser. Gimme a Yuengling any day.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/13 16:13:24 (permalink)
Amen to America's oldest brew. By the way...if taste serves me, Bud tasted different(stronger) in the 60's. The dumbing down of brands????
Big Frank
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/13 16:21:01 (permalink)
Little Jakes in Kansas City.
chuck - 48
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/13 16:26:52 (permalink)
Living in Central New York, one would be kicked out of the state if they said anything but the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse. But, I used to travel down South and the best (and friendliest) was a little joint in Covengton Ga., called Smokin Jim's BBQ Shack. Picnic tables outside and on the screened in porch. One of the few places I found that treated Yankees like folk. I don't know if it's still around, but I would always go out of my way to eat there in my travels.
wfmitchell
Junior Burger
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/13 17:20:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Amen to America's oldest brew. By the way...if taste serves me, Bud tasted different(stronger) in the 60's. The dumbing down of brands????
wfmitchell
Junior Burger
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/13 17:22:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wfmitchell

Budweiser was diluted in the 60's to make room for Michelob. I believe it was a project by Russell Ackoff who at the time was the dean of Operations Research at The Wharton School. The Anheuser-Busch Co. called him in to increase the sale of Bud. His team decided that the public perceived Bud as being overpriced so they needed to market a beer that was very overpriced to put Bud back into perspective. They put Michelob in a can which heretofore had only been a draft and brought it out at $5-6 a six pack which in the 60's was the equivalent of at least $40 a case in today's dollar. Then a funny thing happened, the sale of Michelob was not that bad so they called Ackoff back in to increase the sale of Michelob. Ackoff's team decided that the best thing to do was decrease the price of Michelob until it started to affect the sale of Budweiser, then increase the price back up again slightly. The rest is history. These facts have been rounded off a little but you get the idea. I was in one of Ackoff's classes and he described this case but would not mane the parties. It was pretty obvious however and when we confronted him he got very irrated. BINGO!
The facts have been rounded somewhat due to typing limitations but you get the idea. At least I think that's why it's diluted but let's face it, they know what sells. They have been at this a long time. They did miss the microbrew phenomena somewhat but sooner or later they'll be big in that as well.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/13 21:26:49 (permalink)
Hi,
I read in an advertizing book once that american beers in the 60's were watered down to appeal to the growing female market.So...if Bud is watered down from the old days what is Bud lite....or Miller lite..or Coors lite etc. etc.Americans don't want beer,they want ice cold water they can drink one after another.So the next time you see that Hell's angel drinking a Miller lite, tell him he's drinking a girly-girl drink!!!
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1038
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/13 22:00:49 (permalink)
I think I read somewhere that American beers are made lighter (watered down) to keep drinkers from feeling full so they will drink more.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/14 05:13:58 (permalink)
What ever the reason,you aren't drinking the BEST beer in the world. Water and ribs, nah!
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/14 08:41:30 (permalink)
quote:

What ever the reason,you aren't drinking the BEST beer in the world. Water and ribs, nah!

I have to admit, just having been in Dublin, that Guinness tastes totally different over there, fresh from the local brewery. It is much creamier not bitter tasting at all, unlike the canned Guinness you get over here. Very nice.

Any British or Irish ale or stout drunk in a local pub beats American beer hands down.

Eric Idle: "Why is drinking American beer like making love in a canoe?" Because it's fu@$ing close to water.

leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/02/14 11:11:53 (permalink)
Eric Idle...You speak the truth!
Legran22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/03/06 14:53:47 (permalink)
Sad to report the demise of one of the country's truly great Bar B Q restaurants, Williams Smoke House in the Acres Home section of Houston. The fire in the pit got away from them and it burned to the ground (gotta watch that wood)a few weeks ago. Mr. Williams reportedly indicated that he would likely not rebuild. I got the impression that his advancing age and the pressures and long hours of running a family owned and operated business with little outside help were major factors in his decision. As anyone who ever visited his restaurant will attest, its a big loss of one of the truly original style Bar B Q A"joints" and Houston will miss it.
DoctorDan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/03/06 15:30:10 (permalink)
Haven't eaten a lot of BBQ outside the greater Atlanta area,
but I really like Sam & Dave's (2 locations in Marietta), Spiced Right in Lilburn and another place in Ballground, GA whose name escapes me for the moment.
Ate at Arthur Bryant's in KC but that was a long, long time ago.
I remember getting the meat and two pieces of white bread, a drink and not much else. Of course it was good!!!

Doctor Dan
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1151
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/03/06 15:49:02 (permalink)
I am reluctant to name any Q joint ouside of Texas as the best I've ever eaten but there is a place just off exit 3 north I 95 in Kingsland Ga called Blues. Just a roadside stand with a huge pit on wheels and the man can cook some ribs.
Now that Budweiser has started this insane "born on date" and the useless Budweiser Select. If I want beer with my Q it's Shiner. And if it wasn't so expensive Hefe Weisen.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/03/06 15:58:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Legran22

Sad to report the demise of one of the country's truly great Bar B Q restaurants, Williams Smoke House in the Acres Home section of Houston. The fire in the pit got away from them and it burned to the ground (gotta watch that wood)a few weeks ago. Mr. Williams reportedly indicated that he would likely not rebuild. I got the impression that his advancing age and the pressures and long hours of running a family owned and operated business with little outside help were major factors in his decision. As anyone who ever visited his restaurant will attest, its a big loss of one of the truly original style Bar B Q A"joints" and Houston will miss it.

I don't know if it is the best BBQ I have ever had, but it was my favorite BBQ joint in Houston. I was on the phone with a friend the other night planning a possible trip to Houston and it saddened me when I realized that I wouldn't be able to stop at Williams for some darn fine 'Q.
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1151
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/03/07 11:02:04 (permalink)
I'm having one of them days where as I sit here at my desk at 10 am simply dying for a plate of burnt ends, some white bread and a side of sausage. Anybody else?
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2008/03/07 16:52:55 (permalink)
BrisketBoy,

SOUNDS GREAT!! When you get that heeping plate, let me know and I will be right over!
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1