The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had?

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617 > | Showing page 13 of 17, messages 361 to 390 of 481
Author Message
wfmitchell

  • Total Posts: 37
  • Joined: 8/29/2006
  • Location: Virginia Beach, VA
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 5:57 AM (permalink)
With all due respect I can't give much credence to a place that does so much beef. It may appeal to Texas tastes but that won't get it in the realm of great BBQ.
 
    John A

    • Total Posts: 4295
    • Joined: 1/27/2006
    • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 8:18 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wfmitchell

    With all due respect I can't give much credence to a place that does so much beef. It may appeal to Texas tastes but that won't get it in the realm of great BBQ.


    I'm with you. When it comes to BBQ I think of pulled or chopped pork and ribs.
     
      tallison

      • Total Posts: 1
      • Joined: 5/24/2007
      • Location: Kosiusko, MS
      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 10:42 AM (permalink)
      No question about it. Bozo's Barbecue, Mason, Tennessee.
       
        yaya adley

        • Total Posts: 11
        • Joined: 3/30/2008
        • Location: Memphis, TN
        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by wfmitchell

        With all due respect I can't give much credence to a place that does so much beef. It may appeal to Texas tastes but that won't get it in the realm of great BBQ.


        Now wfmitchell I don't think your opinion of beef BBQ is totally unbiased. A person's preference for beef vs. pork depends on what part of the country they are from. Beef is enjoyed by more people than just Texans. I personally prefer beef over pork most of the time, but a good pulled pork sandwich or a roasted pig are hard to beat. Beef has an equal spot in the realm of great BBQ as pork does. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but let's not totally disregard beef BBQ as an equal just because you don't personally prefer the taste. That is unfair.
         
          wfmitchell

          • Total Posts: 37
          • Joined: 8/29/2006
          • Location: Virginia Beach, VA
          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 12:26 PM (permalink)
          quote:

          Now wfmitchell I don't think your opinion of beef BBQ is totally unbiased. A person's preference for beef vs. pork depends on what part of the country they are from. Beef is enjoyed by more people than just Texans. I personally prefer beef over pork most of the time, but a good pulled pork sandwich or a roasted pig are hard to beat. Beef has an equal spot in the realm of great BBQ as pork does. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but let's not totally disregard beef BBQ as an equal just because you don't personally prefer the taste.(SORRY BUT


          Outside of Texas not much beef is BBQ'd. There is nothing wrong with beef it's just that it has too much flavor of it's own compared to pork as a smoke absorbing medium. The flavors compete rather than harmonize. I do enjoy a brisket sandwich occasionally but not nearly to the extent that I do pork or pork ribs. Both these are specialties of mine to the extent that I have won BBQ contests. Ironically I cook on a Klose Smoker made in Houston. I had David Klose make one to my specs a number of years ago when I went to his facility. He had it flatbedded and sent to me up east.
           
            1bbqboy

            • Total Posts: 4542
            • Joined: 11/20/2000
            • Location: Rogue Valley
            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 12:51 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by wfmitchell

            quote:

            Now wfmitchell I don't think your opinion of beef BBQ is totally unbiased. A person's preference for beef vs. pork depends on what part of the country they are from. Beef is enjoyed by more people than just Texans. I personally prefer beef over pork most of the time, but a good pulled pork sandwich or a roasted pig are hard to beat. Beef has an equal spot in the realm of great BBQ as pork does. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but let's not totally disregard beef BBQ as an equal just because you don't personally prefer the taste.(SORRY BUT


            Outside of Texas not much beef is BBQ'd. There is nothing wrong with beef it's just that it has too much flavor of it's own compared to pork as a smoke absorbing medium. The flavors compete rather than harmonize. I do enjoy a brisket sandwich occasionally but not nearly to the extent that I do pork or pork ribs. Both these are specialties of mine to the extent that I have won BBQ contests. Ironically I cook on a Klose Smoker made in Houston. I had David Klose make one to my specs a number of years ago when I went to his facility. He had it flatbedded and sent to me up east.

            Do they even have Cows in Virginia?
             
              wfmitchell

              • Total Posts: 37
              • Joined: 8/29/2006
              • Location: Virginia Beach, VA
              RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 12:53 PM (permalink)
              I don't know. I'm not a Virginian I'm a Georgian and our cattle are to good to BBQ.
               
                buffetbuster

                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 1:03 PM (permalink)
                After the recent Roadfood bus tour of the great barbecue parlors east of Austin, I have a much greater appreciation of Texas barbecue. But, I'd still rather eat pork sandwiches in Memphis, more than any other style of barbecue. Truthfully, it is all good!
                 
                  marky

                  • Total Posts: 104
                  • Joined: 3/20/2003
                  • Location: boynton beach, FL
                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 2:53 PM (permalink)
                  love bryants and gatrs in k.c. lean towards gates because they have lamb ribs my favorite meat.
                   
                    fauxpaws

                    • Total Posts: 1
                    • Joined: 5/22/2008
                    • Location: Durham, NC
                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 4:31 PM (permalink)
                    TX: Kreuz Market = Nirvana
                    NC (Eastern style): G. Allen & Son BBQ (Chapel Hill) & Ole Time BBQ (Raleigh)
                    NC (Western style): Lexington BBQ
                    KC: Bryant's (sp) in KC, Mo

                    Good BBQ at Buzz & Ned's in Richmond, VA

                    Hope to try Memphis style someday.

                    Oh, and Northerners should know that in the South, BBQ is a NOUN, not a VERB. It sounds strange (We don't laugh, though...) to hear someone ask if we're going to BBQ hamburgers on the grill.

                    Faux Paws
                     
                      mayor al

                      • Total Posts: 15059
                      • Joined: 8/20/2002
                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 05/22/08 8:59 PM (permalink)

                      Several off-topic posts were deleted. Please stay on-topic and remember the 'respect for others' opinion guideline. Personal remarks that are disrespectful will be deleted.
                       
                        wfmitchell

                        • Total Posts: 37
                        • Joined: 8/29/2006
                        • Location: Virginia Beach, VA
                        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 05/23/08 5:14 AM (permalink)
                        Al-The Mayor-Bowen?

                        Were you an old Waggoner HS alum?
                         
                          Akavar

                          • Total Posts: 361
                          • Joined: 12/22/2000
                          • Location: Flemington, NJ
                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 05/23/08 7:25 AM (permalink)
                          IMHO when you are in Texas eat brisket and sausage. When you are in Memphis or the Carolinas eat pork. When in KC eat both.

                          If you are in Texas and don't want to eat the brisket, have some ribs - many BBQ places make them. Or try a CFS.
                           
                            Twinwillow

                            • Total Posts: 4895
                            • Joined: 4/15/2006
                            • Location: "Big D"
                            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 05/23/08 9:52 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Akavar

                            IMHO when you are in Texas eat brisket and sausage. When you are in Memphis or the Carolinas eat pork. When in KC eat both.

                            If you are in Texas and don't want to eat the brisket, have some ribs - many BBQ places make them. Or try a CFS.


                            Sound advice. A true "diplomatic" solution.
                             
                              mikeam

                              • Total Posts: 192
                              • Joined: 8/29/2007
                              • Location: Raleigh, NC
                              RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 06/18/08 6:17 PM (permalink)
                              My favorite......Wilber's in Goldsboro, NC.



                               
                                Twinwillow

                                • Total Posts: 4895
                                • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                • Location: "Big D"
                                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 06/18/08 6:54 PM (permalink)
                                Forget the BBQ. I want to eat that fried thang.
                                 
                                  mikeam

                                  • Total Posts: 192
                                  • Joined: 8/29/2007
                                  • Location: Raleigh, NC
                                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 06/18/08 10:35 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by twinwillow

                                  Forget the BBQ. I want to eat that fried thang.


                                  Wilber has good fried chicken also.
                                   
                                    Rapunzll

                                    • Total Posts: 314
                                    • Joined: 8/22/2000
                                    • Location: Greenville SC
                                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 06/19/08 12:00 AM (permalink)
                                    Another vote for the GA Pig. They also have fabulous Brunswick Stew!

                                    When I drove through Lexington NC looking for bbq the first time, I was surprised that I didn't see one place and I had heard there were a ton of them in town. I finally saw a police officer sitting in his car in a parking lot and pulled up along side and told him my dilemma. I really wanted to try the BBQ Lexington is known for. He smiled, said follow me, and gave me an escort to Lexington's #1. I was on my way to GA so got some to go and the first time I tried it, I thought, sheesh, this isn't very good. But the next day I found I was craving the stuff. Thank heavens there were left overs!
                                     
                                      utvols

                                      • Total Posts: 45
                                      • Joined: 7/23/2007
                                      • Location: Knoxville, TN
                                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 06/19/08 12:55 AM (permalink)
                                      Memphis: BBQ Shop and Interstate BBQ also Corky's on Poplar. Don't forget Topps, Gridley's and Brian's.

                                      Nashville: Neeley's, Center Point BBQ in Hendersonville, Judge Bean's, and Jack's.

                                      Knoxville: M&M's TD's and OTT's, Buddy's(Icky chain)

                                      Greenville: Stan's (And this is the answer for all of upper east)

                                      Johnson City: Dixie BBQ.

                                      Mountain City: Mike's BBQ

                                      TN BBQ answers in case you didn't know.
                                       
                                        utvols

                                        • Total Posts: 45
                                        • Joined: 7/23/2007
                                        • Location: Knoxville, TN
                                        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 06/19/08 12:59 AM (permalink)
                                        How do I edit???

                                        It's Bryant's not Brian's (Brian is my cousin)
                                         
                                          John A

                                          • Total Posts: 4295
                                          • Joined: 1/27/2006
                                          • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 06/19/08 6:35 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by twinwillow

                                          Forget the BBQ. I want to eat that fried thang.


                                          That skin sure looks good from here
                                           
                                            pdmiller

                                            • Total Posts: 3
                                            • Joined: 6/23/2008
                                            • Location: Woodstock, GA
                                            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 06/23/08 1:58 AM (permalink)
                                            I live near Atlanta and I have a few favourites here. One is Fat Mats Rib Shack on Piedmont in Atlanta, and another is Pig & Chick just north of Atlanta. I also just went to a place called Swallow in the Hollow, and it was pretty good, although I didn't try the ribs, just a sandwhich. I'll admit that I'm a BBQ newbie. Growing up I always thought BBQ was just anything you cooked on a grill, but moving to the south I have been re-educated on the BBQ front. Now I search them out.
                                             
                                              wfmitchell

                                              • Total Posts: 37
                                              • Joined: 8/29/2006
                                              • Location: Virginia Beach, VA
                                              RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 06/23/08 7:15 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by pdmiller

                                              I live near Atlanta and I have a few favourites here. One is Fat Mats Rib Shack on Piedmont in Atlanta, and another is Pig & Chick just north of Atlanta. I also just went to a place called Swallow in the Hollow, and it was pretty good, although I didn't try the ribs, just a sandwich. I'll admit that I'm a BBQ newbie. Growing up I always thought BBQ was just anything you cooked on a grill, but moving to the south I have been re-educated on the BBQ front. Now I search them out.


                                              Well now you're ready for the big time. Dreamland serves the best ribs I've ever had. I have finished highly in several BBQ Rib contests but these are as good as the ones I make. Go there and report back to me. I don't live close to a Dreamland so I need to live vicariously.

                                              Dreamland BBQ
                                              Peachtree Corners
                                              5250 Peachtree Parkway
                                              Norcross, GA 30092
                                              (770) 446-6969
                                               
                                                bbqinsmiami

                                                • Total Posts: 1
                                                • Joined: 6/23/2008
                                                • Location: south miami, FL
                                                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 06/23/08 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                                I spent ten years in Rochester, NY where there was a bbq place named Smitty's. Have since moved to the Miami area. Trying to locate the recipe for the sauce. Was vinegar based. Haven't been able to find it on line anywhere. Can anyone help?
                                                 
                                                  dragonfly10

                                                  • Total Posts: 2
                                                  • Joined: 6/24/2008
                                                  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
                                                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 06/24/08 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by mar52

                                                  Dennis, The sauce at Stearn's in Culver City has been a life long quest.

                                                  We used to have it every Sunday for dinner.

                                                  The guy behind the counter used to call my mother and my aunt the Lean & Thin Sisters when they got up to the counter. It didn't matter that they had a standing order with him for years. They'd always tell him to cut the brisket lean and thin.

                                                  A pound of meat, a dozen rolls, a pint of Stearns sauce, cole slaw and a pickle.

                                                  You couldn't beat it and nothing since comes close.

                                                  My brother would probably give you $5000 for the reicpe!

                                                  We grew up on it and then they took it away from us.

                                                  Did you pull out the middle of your rolls and dip it in the sauce?

                                                  I'd probably add my own $5000 if you ever find it!
                                                   
                                                    dragonfly10

                                                    • Total Posts: 2
                                                    • Joined: 6/24/2008
                                                    • Location: Los Angeles, CA
                                                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 06/24/08 8:13 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by mar52

                                                    Dennis, The sauce at Stearn's in Culver City has been a life long quest.

                                                    We used to have it every Sunday for dinner.

                                                    The guy behind the counter used to call my mother and my aunt the Lean & Thin Sisters when they got up to the counter. It didn't matter that they had a standing order with him for years. They'd always tell him to cut the brisket lean and thin.

                                                    A pound of meat, a dozen rolls, a pint of Stearns sauce, cole slaw and a pickle.

                                                    You couldn't beat it and nothing since comes close.

                                                    My brother would probably give you $5000 for the reicpe!

                                                    We grew up on it and then they took it away from us.

                                                    Did you pull out the middle of your rolls and dip it in the sauce?

                                                    I'd probably add my own $5000 if you ever find it!



                                                    I too grew up with Stern's and I miss them dearly! While I have no specific recipe, I do have an observation that may bring back some memory of the sauce. As I recall it was of the Texas tangy variety (a little sweet and maybe even a little bit of spice) and I think the secret was that they chopped up some of their brisket into the sauce. I clearly remember how chunky the bbq sauce was. I have had some other bbq sauces that came close and they always had meat chopped into them.

                                                    It may be as close as we get but find a sauce you like as a base and chop the meat into it. Wish I could be of more help, maybe just the memory will be enough!
                                                     
                                                      oldredeyez

                                                      • Total Posts: 4
                                                      • Joined: 12/3/2005
                                                      • Location: kingsport, TN
                                                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 06/24/08 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                                      If you're ever in Oakland,Ca. you have to try Flint's on San Pablo ave.The ribs and the hot links are the best.The medium sauce is just right in the heat dept. A cold beer is all you need to wash it all down.
                                                       
                                                        steaklover

                                                        • Total Posts: 85
                                                        • Joined: 7/28/2004
                                                        • Location: Fairfield, CT
                                                        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 06/27/08 1:55 AM (permalink)
                                                        It would have to be "Stick to Your Ribs
                                                        "Texas Bar B-Que", in Stratford, CT., during the 1980's.
                                                        I worked in the area at the time and always went every Friday and bought a bunch of wonderful stuff.

                                                        They had a gigantic smoking oven and made the best brisket, pork shoulder, pork ribs, beef ribs, and other stuff. (The pork ribs were my favorite. They were beautifully cooked and mahogany colored, with a perfect smoke ring).
                                                        They made 3-4 homemade sauces, ranging from mild to blistering hot.

                                                        When the shopping center in wich they were located went out of business, their business slowly failed.

                                                        I wish I could find another place like that.
                                                         
                                                          macphile

                                                          • Total Posts: 20
                                                          • Joined: 6/24/2008
                                                          • Location: Houston, TX
                                                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 06/28/08 1:18 AM (permalink)
                                                          I'm not really a BBQ person and don't go around testing it or anything, but all the same, I'm going to say Goode Company in Houston. I always get the brisket and Czech sausage.

                                                          The main thing that stands out about Goode Company for me, though, is their potato salad. I really don't care for potatoes, as a rule, and whenever I normally get potato salad, I eat a couple of bites and give up. Goode Company's the only place I've found that makes potato salad that I actually like. Down to the last bite.
                                                           
                                                            John A

                                                            • Total Posts: 4295
                                                            • Joined: 1/27/2006
                                                            • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                                            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 06/28/08 1:40 AM (permalink)
                                                            What's different about it?
                                                             
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617 > | Showing page 13 of 17, messages 361 to 390 of 481

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 4 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com