The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had?

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617 > | Showing page 14 of 17, messages 391 to 420 of 481
WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 07/1/08 11:27 AM (permalink)
The best BBQ I've ever had probably has less to do with the Que, than the situation. About 12 years ago , my buddy and I had just spent 12 days backwoods camping, portaging, and canoeing up in the Canadian Boundry waters. About 7 days in to the trip, a bear climbed the tree we had strung the food up in durring the night and had a feast while we watched from the tent flap. All the remaining fresh food was destroyed, and a fair amount of our dried food too. We decided to stick with the original trail plan and just live off the land as best we could. Meals the next 5 days consisted of dehydrated corn, dehydrated peas, dehydrated potatoes, scant wild mushrooms and eadible plants, dehydrated eggs, a couple walleye and pike(bear broke one fishing rod, and we had to jury-rig the other), but was mostly bland, unsalted(bear stomped all spices), and calorically lean considering our daily workload.

Back at the trailhead we packed up with stomachs growling and hit the first restraunt we came across. It was a small BBQ shack on the outskirts of a small town in northern Minnisota. We ordered up a feast of ribs, pulled pork shoulder, and brisket slices with all the sides. Way too much food for two people. We polished it off. Our bodies desperately needed the protein and fat, the smoky meat and sweet spicy sauce was an expolsion of flavor compaired to the last week of lean bland bear leftovers.

I'm sure the Que was pretty average at best, but to this day my buddy and I still reminisce about that one meal and just how amazing it was at that moment in time.

cy_dugas

• Total Posts: 199
    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 07/1/08 11:32 AM (permalink)
    Having just been...Cozy Corner, Memphis!

Wonderful.

Palmiro

• Total Posts: 1
      Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 03/10/09 9:54 PM (permalink)

I've only been to one BBQ restaurant that cooked the baby backs so tenderly and with sauces that made them so succulent that I wanted to go back the next day for more: "The Whole Hog Cafe" near downtown Little Rock.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 03/10/09 10:24 PM (permalink)
        On the first page of this thread, I rated Baker's Ribs (Dallas) as my number one and, Louis Mueller's (Taylor) as number two. 
        Given that those ratings were made a few years ago, I would like to bring my current favorites up to date.
        (1) Louis Mueller's. Taylor, Texas.
        (2) Smitty's. Lockhart, Texas.
        (3) City Market. Luling, Texas.
        (4) Southside Market. Elgin, Texas.

That said, I must be honest and say, I have not had the opportunity to experience BBQ in Kansas, Memphis, and the rest of Tennesee or, either of the Carolina's. But, I'd like to.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
          Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 03/10/09 10:27 PM (permalink)
          Palmiro

I've only been to one BBQ restaurant that cooked the baby backs so tenderly and with sauces that made them so succulent that I wanted to go back the next day for more: "The Whole Hog Cafe" near downtown Little Rock.

I've heard that place is very, very good. Thanks for the tip and, welcome to RF. 

'QueperMan

• Total Posts: 45
            Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 03/14/09 5:49 PM (permalink)
            I'm certainly not well traveled, but I've got to say my favorites are:

B's Barbecue, Greenville, NC
            Boss Hog's BBQ, Washington, NC

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1929
              RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 03/14/09 6:08 PM (permalink)
              Toss up between Rigas Barbecue in Birmingham, AL and Bobby B's in East Ridge, TN, both establishments now somewhere beyond the rainbow in barbecue heaven.

JayL

• Total Posts: 213
                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 03/14/09 8:00 PM (permalink)
                Hands down...the Skylight Inn.......Ayden, NC

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 03/16/09 1:34 PM (permalink)
                  The best ribs I've ever had came from Bob Sykes in Bessemer AL ( going back next month! ); the best Lexington-style ( NC ) was from the now-defunct Wallace Bros BBQ, which was in Virginia just across the state line from Mount Airy NC; the best brisket came from Arthur Bryant's in KC; and my all-time favorite Q ( any style ) can be found at the Ridgewood Restaurant in Bluff City TN. 

wfmitchell

• Total Posts: 37
                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 03/16/09 1:59 PM (permalink)
                    I lived there for seven years and Sykes is fine but nothing I've ever had compares to Dreamland BBQ in Birmingham. And they are not even baby backs. Nothing like them here in Virginia.
                    <message edited by wfmitchell on Mon, 03/16/09 2:01 PM>

mountain traveler

• Total Posts: 130
                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 04/6/09 2:53 AM (permalink)
                      nocarolina

The best ribs I've ever had came from Bob Sykes in Bessemer AL ( going back next month! ); the best Lexington-style ( NC ) was from the now-defunct Wallace Bros BBQ, which was in Virginia just across the state line from Mount Airy NC; the best brisket came from Arthur Bryant's in KC; and my all-time favorite Q ( any style ) can be found at the Ridgewood Restaurant in Bluff City TN. 

I'll agree with you on Ridgewood. I'm a green horn when it comes to BBQ but Ridgewood made a believer out of me!

carolina bob

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 04/9/09 10:20 PM (permalink)
                        On my way down to the Roadfood Festival in N'awlins, I ate at McClard's BBQ in Hot Springs AR. Sorry, Bob Sykes, but you're no longer my #1 rib place; the ribs at McClard's are truly wonderful. Lousy bbq beans though; all you taste is vinegar. And McClard's tea is unsweetened and surprisingly weak. If there's a next time ( I hope! ), I'll have a Coke instead.  

mikeam

• Total Posts: 192
                          Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 04/15/09 8:24 PM (permalink)
                          Not where you would expect good BBQ but the RBC Center in Raleigh, home of the NC State Wolfpack and the Carolina Hurricanes, serves a great BBQ sandwich. The pork is unsauced, tender and tasty. There a bottles of Eastern and Western NC sauces available. The best sandwich I've ever had at a sporting event.

This is a great sandwich.

<message edited by mikeam on Wed, 04/15/09 8:28 PM>

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
                            Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 04/15/09 8:52 PM (permalink)
                            The best Eastern NC style BBQ I have ever had was at the Skylight Inn in Ayden NC.... it's always great.

The best Western NC style BBQ I have had was at Lexington BBQ in Lexington NC.

Dennis in Cary
                            <message edited by DLnWPBrown on Wed, 04/15/09 9:33 PM>

smarmorine

Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sun, 04/19/09 3:11 PM (permalink)
                              I have eaten at many of these places listed. Love most of them. But I tell you a BBQ in a gas station in Kansas City called Oklahoma Joe' IS amazing!!

carolina bob

Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sun, 06/28/09 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                Earlier this evening, I had dinner at Twin Anchors, a bar & restaurant on Chicago's north side that's been around for decades and specializes in ribs. My meal was the ribs and roast chicken combo, with sides of barbecue beans and coleslaw, and a Coke to wash it down. I'm happy to say that this place serves some dynamite ribs, possibly the best in the Chicago area. Lean, meaty and delicious, with a very tasty ( and spicy ) BBQ sauce. Great chicken too. The beans are excellent, but the slaw is only so-so. Overall, a wonderful meal that I wouldn't hesitate to order again.

rsmugs

Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/18/09 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                  In a small town, Indiana,PA (Jimmy Stewart's Birth Place) i found Pa Barbeque ! My family shared different entrees and pulled pork and their ribs are at the top of my list.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                    Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/18/09 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                    http://goodiesbbq.net/
                                    Goodies
                                    5841 Hamilton Avenue
                                    Cincinnati, OH 45224

I think this is the best bbq place in greater Cincinnati

I lust after their ribs, rib tips, fried okra, red beans and rice and chicken

NYPIzzaNut

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/18/09 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                      nocarolina

We  had a Bob Sykes in Jasper AL until they burned down.  I couldn't wait to eat there back in the 1970s - when I lived there.

ajp1111

• Total Posts: 18
                                        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/18/09 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                        Man, this is one that is hard to answer. I have been to many of the spots mentioned, Sonny Bryans, Arthur Bryants, Rendezvous, Corky's, Neely's, and too many places over the years to keep track. But for me, one that really stood out was Joe Allens in Abilene, TX. Great brisket and hot links and terrific sides.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/18/09 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                          Pulled Pork platter at Boston Butz in Ross OH

I'm sure there is much better to be had elsewhere, but that is indeed the best I have had, and imo and for what its worth, the best bbq in Cincinnati

NYPIzzaNut

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/18/09 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                            TJ Jackson

Pulled Pork platter at Boston Butz in Ross OH

I'm sure there is much better to be had elsewhere, but that is indeed the best I have had, and imo and for what its worth, the best bbq in Cincinnati

This place is great - we were there many years ago and I believe I liked their ribs the best, and some of their sides.

stumpworks73

• Total Posts: 3
                                              Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/18/09 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                              Third the nomination for stlouisguy's picks.
                                              I add:
                                              Rudy's  Austin, TX
                                              Big Al's   Dallas,  TX
                                              City Barbecue  Columbus, OH

NYPIzzaNut

Re:What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/18/09 10:32 PM (permalink)
                                                stumpworks73

Third the nomination for stlouisguy's picks.
                                                I add:
                                                Rudy's  Austin, TX
                                                Big Al's   Dallas,  TX
                                                City Barbecue  Columbus, OH

If you tried the City BBQs in SW Ohio you might not think as highly of them.

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                                                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/18/09 11:07 PM (permalink)
                                                  The BBQ I make at home...that's the best.

Jam

• Total Posts: 2
                                                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sun, 07/19/09 2:29 PM (permalink)
                                                    Vince Staten's Old Time BBQ in Prospect, KY for the ribs, Peak Bros in Wavery, KY for the mutton and ham, and the Moonlight in Owensboro, KY for the spread of their BBQ buffet.  I have also eaten and enjoyed the beef brisket from the Central Texan in Castroville, CA.  I have eaten BBQ in Texas, Missouri, but never the Carolinas which I very much want to do and now I may have to take a trip to Alabama.  Road Food trips are the best way to travel.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 07/21/09 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                                      willybonk

has anyone had Rudy's down in texas? I'd say the best in the major cities down there.

I have eaten at Rudy's in San Antonio.  It was actually my introduction to Texas style BBQ, and thogh I've eaten at quitet a few  other Texan joints, I still remember Rudy's because it was an eye opening experience and far cry from the KC style I grew up with in Iowa.

trueblushorthairs

• Total Posts: 6
                                                        • Location: Pilot Point, TX
                                                        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 07/22/09 12:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        #1-Elmer's It Be Bad BBQ in Tulsa-Badwich, pork ribs, beans
                                                        #2-Jack Stack-Martin City/Kansas City, MO
                                                        #3-Luling City Market-Luling, TX, Houston, TX
                                                        #4-Salt Lick-Driftwood, TX
                                                        #5-Dreamland-Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, AL

Legran22

• Total Posts: 26
                                                          • Location: Houston, TX
                                                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 08/6/09 3:01 PM (permalink)
                                                          macphile

I'm not really a BBQ person and don't go around testing it or anything, but all the same, I'm going to say Goode Company in Houston. I always get the brisket and Czech sausage.

The main thing that stands out about Goode Company for me, though, is their potato salad. I really don't care for potatoes, as a rule, and whenever I normally get potato salad, I eat a couple of bites and give up. Goode Company's the only place I've found that makes potato salad that I actually like. Down to the last bite.

I'm with you on the potato salad at Goode Co. I usually don't care for potato salad but they really do have delicous tater salad there. I get cravings for it sometimes. And for that poster who says pork takes on a smoke taste and that beef taste overwhelms the smoke hasn't tasted Jim Goode's brisket. A very delicate mesquite beef balance. I think many people do not understand that different regions of Texas have different styles of BBQ. The sweet sauce you find in East Texas is completely diffent than the vinegar based sauce you find in the Hill Country. And the drippings based sauce you will find at Goode Co. is much diffent than either of the others. Overall, I prefer Louis Muellers as their brisket and coarse gound German style sausage and their two types of sauces that you shake onto the meats along with the BBQ Joint Ambiance ( you got to appreciate that Stevie Ray Vaughan was a regular and you can see his written adulations tacked to the walls) IMHO its the best BBQ place there is.

tybeeguy

• Total Posts: 87
                                                            • Location: Tybee Island, GA
                                                            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 08/6/09 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                                            Somewhere in N.C.   I agree with the boys in this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617 > | Showing page 14 of 17, messages 391 to 420 of 481

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com