The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 3 of 17, messages 61 to 90 of 481
Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 06/27/06 9:52 AM (permalink)
Best Ribs: Dreamland, Huntsville, Al.

Best Chicken: Big Bob Gibsons, Decatur, Al.

Best Pulled Pork: My house, Toronto, On.; Corky's, Memphis, Tn and Jack Daniels, Lynchburg, Tn.

Yes, Mr. Jack has a bbq lunch on Fridays on a hill overlooking the hollow. If you ever get the chance, do it. $20, all you can eat. Fabulous pork, beans, slaw and Lynchburg Special Pie.
No Jack though, it's a dry county.

DT

oltheimmer

• Total Posts: 214
    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 06/27/06 10:29 PM (permalink)
    In my experience the best barbecue I've ever had in my life is usually the one I'm just walking out the door of, provided it's one of the following (in alphabetical order, since my preferences change):

Black's, Lockhart, TX (I've read on eGullet that Edgar Black has announced his retirement; his son, a CPA, will be taking over. This doesn't bode well for Black's, I'm afraid).
    City Market, Luling, TX
    Kreutz - Lockhart
    Louie Mueller - Taylor
    Williams Smokehouse - Houston

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 06/27/06 10:54 PM (permalink)
      Aside from my own, and not in precise order:
      • Nina's, Union City, TN
      • Li'l Porky's, Covington, TN
      • Curly & Lynn's, Brownsville, TN
      • Grayson's, Clarence (near Natchitoches), LA
      • The Public Eye, Memphis, TN
      • The Rendezvous, Memphis, TN
      • Brookshire's, Natchitoches, LA
      • Louie Mueller's, Taylor, TX

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 06/27/06 11:05 PM (permalink)
        I see GA pig come up quite a bit. I passed by there and thought about eating there, but remembered other Roadfooders' comments about blatant racism by the GA Pig's staff. I decided not to eat there. Now who knows how many eating establishments share this type of ignorance, but if I know about it, I'll pass. The big city Texas locations never struck me as too good-- Angelo's, Sonny Bryan's, Williams, etc. Maybe something to do with not enough room. Big city Q that I put in the upper echelon are Arthur Bryant's in KC and a few places in Memphis. Maybe because they don't need big smokers. Better Texas barbecue has always been found in the smaller towns. This is just my opinion. Don't want to appear snotty and diss people's individual tastes. I'm not a bbq expert. I just love the stuff.

Barney

• Total Posts: 115
          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 06/27/06 11:38 PM (permalink)
          My favorite BBQ places in order are: Wilber's - Goldsboro NC Starlight Inn - Ayden NC (to watch the meat being chopped and the sound is worth a trip not to mention the flat crispy cornbread)!
          Rosedale BBQ - KC
          Arthur Bryants KC (best fries as well as sliced pork sandwich)
          Jack Stack KC
          Little Jakes KC (not sure of name but near Plaza; best sweet potato fries ever!)

Kent Daniels

• Total Posts: 38
            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 06/28/06 6:58 PM (permalink)
            Well, I've never been east of the Mississippi, so I can't weigh in on "eastern" barbecue, but the best I've had is Arthur Bryant's in KC -- the burnt ends, the brisket...the fries. I keep a bottle of sauce in my fridge to eat on steak, ham sandwiches, leftover turkey...
            But the most interesting barbecue was in Little Rock, I THINK the name was something like L&M Barbecue, hidden in a mostly residential neighborhood between the capitol building and the University hospital. Pork ribs in a thin sauce, hacked up with a cleaver (watch the bones!), some really great beans, and despite being a Sunday, the guy behind the counter tried to interest me in some of their "special lemonade" with a little something extra added. I had a Coke instead. That was 6 years ago, and I can't find any signs of their existence anymore. I guess it was one of those special finds when you get off on the wrong highway exit.

BigEd3

• Total Posts: 36
              RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sun, 07/2/06 3:51 PM (permalink)
              O'So Good Bar-B-Que. US Hwy 231 Oneonta,Al.The best ribs and sauce.

HankNBugsy

• Total Posts: 79
                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 07/3/06 2:32 PM (permalink)
                I also vote for Kreuz with a #2 vote for Texas Pride outside San Antonio

ctfrasier

• Total Posts: 253
                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 07/4/06 12:02 AM (permalink)
                  Hay's Smokehouse in Lexington, TN. If you're driving along I-40 it will be well worth your time to make the 20-minute side trip.

awesson

• Total Posts: 1
                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 07/5/06 12:01 PM (permalink)
                    The best I've ever had is Mama's Coal Pot in St. Louis, MO. I recently found the Roadfood.com site and am thrilled to find people of like mind, so I tried to submit my fave bbq place, but am having some trouble publishing my review. The point is...this is some damn good food. Pork steaks, and ribs, and chicken, and my stomach has started growling from the thought that I'm now 952 miles away.

bobj143

• Total Posts: 8
                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 07/13/06 8:44 AM (permalink)
                      Man - Oh - Man, never forget The Salt Lick in Dripping Springs, TX -just south of Austin!

bigmoe52

• Total Posts: 9
                        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 07/19/06 4:42 PM (permalink)
                        I do not travel much anymore but I went up to visit my nephew in Rye, N.H. and he took me to a place called "Muddy River Smokehouse" in Portsmith. It was outstanding. Whenever I do go back, a trip to Muddy River is a must.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 07/19/06 6:00 PM (permalink)
                          Arthur Bryants KC
                          The Rendezvous, Memphis, TN

ChiTownDiner

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 07/19/06 6:48 PM (permalink)
                            Clark's in Tioga Texas - Brisket, brisket and more brisket followed by cream pies.
                            Locally, Uncle Bub's in Westmont Illinois - Friday for the applewood smoked pork lion.

Riku The Surfer

• Total Posts: 31
                              RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 07/20/06 5:56 AM (permalink)
                              Biffle's in Concordia, MO.

Can't stand the local place here...way too greasy...(BBQ Pit Stop in Marshall, MO)

Nancan

• Total Posts: 15
                                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 07/20/06 7:34 AM (permalink)
                                Spent six months in Memphis,TN last year.Family there was bringing home Pig and Whistle in Religh it was a staple.It was in the neighbourhood.Pulled pork and coleslaw nothing better.In Alameda,Ca now{The Island}.A co-worker brought some BBQ sandwitchs from the local pit.IT WAS VERY GOOD TASTING and had been smoked.Nice slices of pork on a white bread roll with big containers of hot and mild sause,side of potato salad,tomato slices and a dill pickle.
                                Memphis is BBQ.You know you are there when you can see the smoke from the pits at sunrise.That was then.You can take the mouth outta the South except whent it comes to BBQ.

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
                                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/22/06 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                  I am not nearly as well travelled as some of you and I certainly don't consider myself to be an expert on bbq - but having said that, I will mention the outstanding places that I have visited.

Fiorella's Jack Stack in Overland Park, Kansas (metro Kansas City)

Dreamland in Tuscaloosa (it took us an hour to find the places, so I was very hungry when we did get to eat)

Sam & Dave's BBQ 1 in Marietta, Georgia (metro Atlanta)

I am not rejecting any of the other places listed by others, because I have not yet been able to experience the bbq. This thread is greatly increasing the size of my already very long short list.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
                                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 07/22/06 3:19 PM (permalink)
                                    Slightly OT...has anybody ordered from Kreuz's online store? I'm wondering how the mail order product compares to eating there.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
                                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sun, 07/23/06 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                      nobody heh? guess i'll put it on my "to buy" list and give it a shot. dont see myslef getting down to texas anytime soon unless they decide to dome in the entire state and turn the A/C on high.

HadYourPhil

• Total Posts: 11
                                        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sun, 07/23/06 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                        Chicken Comer's in Phenix City, Alabama. Think it's gone now, and if the sauce is also gone, that's a loss of Biblical propotions. Lexington BBQ #1 in Lexington never disappoints.

olddocdiner

• Total Posts: 50
                                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 07/24/06 4:54 PM (permalink)
                                          Al-the-Mayor likes Moonlite in Owensboro, but as a former resident of that fair burg, my favorite is Old Hickory in that same town. I wonder if any of the rest of you who have gone to the trough (as the Moonlite is known locally) have ever tried it. I love it! Mutton is the best.

Also in Kentucky but down farther west at the dam that makes Lake Barkley is Knoth's BBQ. As they say there, Best BBQ in the Whole Dam Area. Specializes in pork shoulders.

Way off the beaten path, near Fort Campbell, is Knockem Hill BBQ. Really good chicken.

buffetbuster

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 07/26/06 1:46 PM (permalink)
                                            The first time I ate at Lexington #1 in 1999, I thought it was very good, but not anything special. Then I ate there again last November and had the best barbecue of my life. Typically, when I go back to a place I haven't been to in a long time, it rarely lives up to my memory's expectations. But this time it was much better than I remembered.

Others that I have particularly enjoyed:

Cozy Corner in Memphis
                                            Abe's in Clarksdale, Mississippi
                                            Sweatman's in Holly Hill, South Carolina
                                            Kreuz Market in Lockhart, Texas
                                            The Ridgewood in Bluff City, Tennessee

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                              RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 07/31/06 11:54 AM (permalink)
                                              Thye call it bbq but it's a push. RO's in Gastonia, NC.

I thought about the question and took it to another level...if I could have but one more meal of bbq what would it be...RO's!!!

Two regular sandwiches, an order of crisp fries and since it's my last meal, a cheery Sundrop. Don't forget to drown the sandwiches w/ Texas Pete at the table.

susanmarie

• Total Posts: 6
                                                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 08/1/06 9:02 PM (permalink)
                                                ITs got to be Dale Hollow BBQ in Celina Tn. Near Dale Hollow Lake.
                                                The ribs are to die for, and the shoulder mmm good!!

oltheimmer

• Total Posts: 214
                                                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 08/1/06 9:59 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

nobody heh? guess i'll put it on my "to buy" list and give it a shot. dont see myslef getting down to texas anytime soon unless they decide to dome in the entire state and turn the A/C on high.

Sorry I didn't see this before. I've never ordered but have frequently brought home boxes of the sausage rings from there and Black's. They keep well, can be frozen and reheated easily and are very good. I'd be less sure about reheating the brisket or ribs and have never tried.

It's been cooler here than in many other parts of the country this year . Come on down! Or wait until the autumn or spring, or for that matter, winter. Those fires in the pit room at Kreutz probably feel really good in January!

KVON

• Total Posts: 12
                                                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 08/11/06 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                                    Tough question... I'm from Huntsville, and both were drives from here, but both were worth it.

I've been to Hays in Lexington, TN and I've been to Ridgewood too. Because I love the sauce, I'd HAVE to say Ridgewood, but Hays is definitely a very close second. If this was a meat-only section, Hays would win.

Can't wait to try the new place that yeahyeah101 has opened in Nashville in the Berry Hill district... sounds like the Nashville critics like it.

trayguy

• Total Posts: 16
                                                      • Location: Fort Worth, TX
                                                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sun, 08/13/06 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                                      Surprisely the best BBQ I've had is Colter's . They still have pretty good size ribs and the BBQ sauce is great. I prefer the 2 meat combo myself.

strickda

• Total Posts: 12
                                                        • Location: Coconut Creek, FL
                                                        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 08/23/06 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                        Has anyone ever eaten at Whitt's Barbecue in Nashville, TN. I had a pulled pork sandwich last week and it was the best!!!

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                                          • Location: Schertz, TX
                                                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 08/23/06 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                                          I didn't know you could order from Kreuz's online. Been to Lockhart many times over the years,but never ate BBQ there.I have eaten at Tom's Ribs and Harmon's BBq in Cibolo,which is in an old store building.Also have eaten at Texas Pride BBq on Loop 1604 out by St.Hedwig.
                                                          In the summer,they have on Fridays a fish fry.Unfortunately my friend from work Nancy doesn't like fish,and I don't think she'd stay to listen to the live music they have those nights.They do this during the summer.Have heard of Salt Lick BBq near Austin,but never been there.I think Rachel Ray while doing Austin went there.Have seen the place on tv before.

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                                            • Joined: 12/13/2005
                                                            • Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
                                                            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 08/23/06 3:41 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by V960

Thye call it bbq but it's a push. RO's in Gastonia, NC.

I thought about the question and took it to another level...if I could have but one more meal of bbq what would it be...RO's!!!

Two regular sandwiches, an order of crisp fries and since it's my last meal, a cheery Sundrop. Don't forget to drown the sandwiches w/ Texas Pete at the table.

so what about the famous slaw sauce? Is that on every bbq sandwich?
                                                            Is that why you liked it? I saw RO's on Food Network, and a co-worker swears by em. But from what I've heard, it's the "slaw sauce"
                                                            that makes the place famous..

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 3 of 17, messages 61 to 90 of 481

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com