What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 17
Author
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 363
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/09/21 23:53:47 (permalink)
The first BBQ joint that I can remember, was Mack's BBQ in St. Louis County....back in the 50's and 60's. Very good BBQ sandwichs home cut frys and killer ribs. don't know if they're around anymore, I left the area in '66.
I've been to most of the central TX joints that have been mentioned, lived in Austin for 25 years and rode motorcyles all over that part of TX...and my belt line shows it :)
Now we're in discovery mode on the east coast...so I'm taking notes and putting push pins on the map.
Thanks,
Big_G
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/09/21 23:59:38 (permalink)
I live in the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex. Home of great BBQ but the best I ever have ever had is the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse N.Y. And all the side dishes are equally as good. A fried of mine who's a vegetarian drives 45 miles for the sides. They are that good.
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/09/22 03:06:59 (permalink)
A Texan saying the best bbq comes from NY? That takes a lot of guts. Shows how good Dinosaur really is.
Smitty in CT
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/09/22 15:22:03 (permalink)
My vote has to go to the Railhead Smokehouse BBQ (Ft. Worth, TX) ".....because life's too short to live in Dallas"

Second choice is Silver Springs BBQ in White Settlement, TX

Up here in CT, we have Danny's Little Taste of Texas (South Windsor)......for "Yankee BBQ" it's pretty good.

Smitty
Miss Prissy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/09/23 18:36:18 (permalink)

Best pulled pork, baby back ribs, beef or pig pickin' cake I ever had was my own. Guess that's terrible, huh?
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/09/28 15:52:03 (permalink)
I would have to say it is:

Kentucky Gregg's in Cheektowaga, NY

Sonny's BBQ on Tyvola Rd in Charlotte, NC
billybgood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/02 13:30:27 (permalink)
Dreamland - Tuscaloosa, AL (in 1983, haven't been back)
Rendevous - Memphis
Bubbalous Bodacious BBQ - Orlando, FL (best collards)
Smokehouse - Minneapolis, MN
Dairy Queen - Carlsebad, NM (that's right, a DQ with a pit)
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/03 07:09:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by billybgood

Dreamland - Tuscaloosa, AL (in 1983, haven't been back)
Rendevous - Memphis
Bubbalous Bodacious BBQ - Orlando, FL (best collards)
Smokehouse - Minneapolis, MN
Dairy Queen - Carlsebad, NM (that's right, a DQ with a pit)

I suspect the DQ was owned by Danny Gaulden, a very well known BBQ guy.

John
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/03 07:15:19 (permalink)
Again:

Dreamland in:

Mobile
Bham
Huntsville.

The one in Tuscaloosa is probably the most famous but not the best.,

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
susanmarie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/09 23:48:18 (permalink)
ITS GOT TO BE DALE HOLLOW BBQ IN CELINA TN.
ITS NEAR DALE HOLLOW LAKE..TRY IT WHEN IN CELINA
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/10 01:23:35 (permalink)
My favorites have been the Interstate in Memphis and Reo's Ribs in Aloha, Oregon.
hotpep1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/12 20:39:02 (permalink)
The best barbecue I've had:

Tom's Place (West Palm Beach, FL)
Tom Jenkins Barbecue (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - no relation to Tom above
Bubbalou's Bodacious Barbecue (Orlando, FL)
Jim's Pit Barbecue (Orange Lake, FL)

Obviously, I don't travel outside Florida a lot...but I'm working on it!
Brooklynq
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/13 12:34:21 (permalink)
Sams in Austin
City Market in Lulling
dale1prosist
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/15 18:36:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mcsweets

Luling, Lex No. 1, Melear's, Wilber's, Parker's in Wilson, N.C. -- and, if you find yourself in Philly, Sweet Lucy's does not disappoint.

Sweet Lucy's was GREAT during two visits in Jan. 2006. The sides are special too.

And it's just a couple blocks off the Interstate.
Kingman3
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/27 02:11:04 (permalink)
The resident Kansas Citian simply must chime in here:

Gates = good but stingy with portions
Bryant's = way overrated
LC's = the only two letters you need to know.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/27 17:50:35 (permalink)
The problem I have with the "best" BBQ you've had, is that there are so many different styles of QUE.
from pork to beef, shoulder to brisket
ribs, short to spare to baby back
wet vs dry
qued vs smoked chicken
vinegar vs tomato based

It could really make your head spin, my motto is "When in Rome do as the Romans do", eat what the locals eat.

My preferences:

Carolina Style - I like western Carolina over eastern Carolina (more tomato then vinegar)
TN style - Eastern, wet and tomato based... Western dry rubbed ribs
TX style - Beef I like a tomato based sauce over a mustard based
KC style - sweet and tomato based
Northern Bama - White and good on fish chicken and puppies

As for best place, how can you choose 1 child over another. I can't.

I guess I will just have to try them all!!
jtoops
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/28 00:52:20 (permalink)
For me, City Market in Luling, Texas is tops for atmosphere and bbq. Smitty's and Black's BBq in Lockhart, TX are close seconds. Louie Mueller's in Taylor TX is next.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/28 01:39:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jtoops

For me, City Market in Luling, Texas is tops for atmosphere and bbq. Smitty's and Black's BBq in Lockhart, TX are close seconds. Louie Mueller's in Taylor TX is next.

Wow! That matches my list-exactly!
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/10/29 17:36:52 (permalink)
I know that Bubbaloo's Bodacious is held in very high regards in central Florida. And I know that this forum is not "The Worst BBQ You Ever Had." However, I ate there last week with mixed results.

I educated myself about Texas BBQ brisket and sausage at Black's, Smitty's, Kreuz's, Crosstown BBQ, Southside Market, City Market, and Sonny Bryan's, amongst others earlier this year. At Bubbalou's my dining partner ordered the sliced pork sandwich and I ordered the brisket and sausage.

The smoke ring on the brisket was nonexistent and the meat had no smokey flavor. What surprised me the most was that the meat was greasy. The fat and sinew that would have broken down and softened if the meat had been cooked in the Texas style just coated the slices of almost tasteless meat. The sausage reminded me of an Oscar Mayer's Smoky Link. The smoke flavor came from the flavor put in during manufacturing, not from the smoking process at Bubbaloo's. There was no snap to speak of with this sausage.

I know that these items were not advertised as "Texas Style". However, I do not think they were properly prepared regardless of cooking style.

My dining partner fared much better. Her sliced pork had a nice smoke flavor and was moist, not greasy. There was a small (1/8 inch) smoke ring that showed that it had spent at least a little time in the smoker. When I mentioned that her pork was much better than my brisket and sausage she said that there was a pig on their sign so of course the pork was going to better!

What a Doh!! moment for me. This woman had no idea what roadfood is, but had grasped one of the basic concepts. Go for the item that is on the roof (or the sign).

I am not trying to start a war here. I am just the umpire trying to call 'em as I see 'em.
Relentless
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/11/02 00:29:28 (permalink)
BBQ is a strange critter. What is good Q in one part of the country might be sneered at by someone from another region...of course, that same variety is what makes it such an interesting subject that so many of us are passionate about.

I am going to eat barbeque wherever I find it, and truly enjoy the different styles I encounter around the country. Being from W. KY. I tend to think that the only REAL barbeque is pork from an open pit using hickory wood to fire the pit. That said, a friend who is from Wisconsin makes a great sandwich with shredded ham in a sauce. It has never seen a pit or any smoke...he calls it BBQ. I disagree, but it is an excellent sandwich.

Some of the best BBQ I ever had was brought home by my wife from a trip to New Braunfels, TX....brisket and sausage with a great smoke ring and flavor. Don't know the name of the place that cooked it, but it sure was good. Nothing wrong with that Texas BBQ.
Mr Meatfest
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/11/02 11:41:34 (permalink)
HERE'S MY TIP. THE BEST IN THE WORLD BBQ is about 30 minutes west of Paris in Martin, TN. Damron's BBQ and Meat. Their slogan is "You can't beat our meat". Cooked 24 hours over charcoal and hickory. On at noon and off the next day at noon. Get it by tjhe pound and a couple sides family style instead of the plate IMO. It's so good we served it at our wedding! and our wedding was kind of fancy. It is pulled in large pieces (not chopped with some fat and grissle like Trollinger's) and always has good bark on it.

Another really good place is The Keg restaurant in nearby Fulton, KY.

Hope this helps.
yeahuno
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/11/13 01:21:24 (permalink)
The best BB-Q place is Hocutt's BB-Q in Moundsville, WV. The ribs, flounder, sweet tea, crawfish, and the other food there is excellent. Can't forget the sweet hushpuppies with butter, honey butter, molasses butter,and hot sauce butter. It is a great atmosphere and excellent hospitality. It's on 10th Street across from the old WV penitentary.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/11/16 20:49:11 (permalink)
I've never had bbq outside of the PNW, and most of that's been either mediocre or just plain bad.

I was working in South Seattle when Pecos Pit opened and went there for lunch on their 3rd day open. I ordered the brisket sandwich (which I'd never had before), I remember opening the sandwich to have a peek and the meat had a layer of red (from the smoke, isn't it?) and I thought OMG! This meat isn't done!. lol I took a bite and nearly fainted, I didn't know anything could taste that good. And their beans were incredible. I worked in that area for 2 years and went there probably an average of twice a week. Got everyone in the office hooked too.

So, Pecos Pit in Seattle is it. If there's better bbq out there I just can't even imagine it.
Rockbeast
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/11/16 22:20:36 (permalink)
I've enjoyed Interstate in Memphis, Gates in KC, and unknown shacks in Sonora, TX, Houston, Ruston, LA. But from my childhood, I remember after church on Sunday my family would drive way out in the country in west Knox County, TN, near Dixie Lee Crossroads at the Loudon County line, and sat at the counter of a white little shack with cords and cords of hickory drying under cover outside and a stream of fragrant smoke coming out of the little chimney that led down to the inner sanctum of flavor.

I can't believe it but at the moment I can't remember the name of the place! Wait! I just remembered...Ott's BBQ. A little family owned place. It was very cute with the pictures of pigs on the wall, the flat buns for the sandwiches. Part of the fun as a kid was being able to pick my very OWN potato chips from the little metal clip stand. It didn't matter if I chose Salt 'n Vinegar because they were all mine!

Man, I loved that place. I went back a few years ago, and it was still great...but since then the family business has disappeared. A sad loss for me and probably several others here west of Knoxville, TN.

Now I might get Buddy's BBQ, but it's not nearly as good. A chain, Famous Dave's has pretty good ribs.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/11/16 22:27:37 (permalink)
Does Ott's also make a salad dressig that is only sold in the midwest? I recall that every time my brother goes to KC, he picks up a couple bottles of this, (as well as some bottles of Gates BBQ sauce)
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/11/16 22:30:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Meatfest

HERE'S MY TIP. THE BEST IN THE WORLD BBQ is about 30 minutes west of Paris

Come on, what do the French know about BBQ?
Legran22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/11/20 11:43:04 (permalink)
I literally grew up cooking and eating BBQ in West Texas in the 1950's. My Dad made a BBQ pit circa 1955 out of various sized pipeline available in the oil patch. We used to cut our own mesquite to make the fire. We BBQ'd all the time. It was the primarly social interaction for my family and our friends. The rare occasion we would eat out would be at Johnny's BBQ in Midland which had home made tables and sawdust floors. It still operates today sans the sawdust floors.

As an adult I kept the tradition going and have eaten BBQ all over the country; Texas, KC Kansas, South Carolina (which they can keep), Tennessee, you name it, as well a smoking some pretty decent stuff on my own wood burning pit. So I have, I think, a pretty broad knowledge and palate for BBQ.

Here is my list:

#5 Goode Company Kirby location in Houston: very consistent mesquite smoked brisket and the best potato salad I have ever eaten.

#4 Interstate BBQ Memphis: Best pulled pork sandwich going, moist and with a cole slaw topping.

#3Kruez BBQ in Lockhart, Tx: Haven't been to the new location yet but the old location had great sausage and shoulder clod. And you just gotta love a place where you have to step around the fire to get to the pit.

#2 Luling City Market, Luling Tx Absolutely great ribs and sausage. Superb sauce. Grab a hunk of onion, cheese and a Big Red Soda to go with it. The real deal. Could have been my #1. You won't get cheated if you only make to Luling City Market.

And the Grand Champion #1 BBQ: Louis Mueller's in Taylor, Texas: Go through the swinging screen doors to that big old room with sooty smoked walls and the best sausage, brisket and sauce served by the lb. on butcher paper on the planet. The sausage is coarse ground. Once you've had it nothing else compares. Two kinds of sauce. I love boffum. If I could only eat at one BBQ joint, this would be it.

Honorable Mentions: Williams Smokehouse (ribs) in Houston, Southside Market (sausage) in Elgin, Tx and Cooper's BBQ (sirloin) in Luling, TX., Rendezvous (dry coated ribs) in Memphis although I did kill my wife's dog by feeding her a slab of their ribs in 1992. Choked on a bone I think.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/11/20 12:51:15 (permalink)
Legran -

I was on a barbecue quest in May and made it to 3 of your five. They were Interstate, Kreuz, and Luling City Market. Of these I liked Luling the best. I also made it to 2 of you honorable mentions - Southside Market and Cooper's. Both were very good.

When I talk about the tour, everyone asks me if I made it to Louis Mueller's. I have determined that the next time I am within 500 miles of the place I will detour to have a meal. Of course, I will have to try a few other places to justify the trip. Num, num. Can't wait.
TexSkills
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/12/04 10:04:10 (permalink)
Kreuz Market - Lockhart, TX
Bodacious BBQ - Tyler, TX (INCREDIBLE brisket)
Shorty's BBQ - Miami, FL
Arthur Bryant's - KC
Interstate BBQ - Memphis

Not a real big fan of Carolina BBQ
dbrandon
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/12/04 10:13:18 (permalink)
Whichever one I'm about to eat.

Dan B,
indiscriminate
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1