The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 17, messages 241 to 270 of 481
Akavar

• Total Posts: 361
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 10/8/07 7:33 AM (permalink)
FWIW - For brisket in the Luling - Lockhart area I prefer City Market in Luling. If I can't have that then I prefer Smitty's in Lockhart. There is nothing "wrong" with Kreuz's, I just like Smitty's and the ambience there.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 10/9/07 6:43 PM (permalink)
    Next to my own:

Kreiz for shoulder clod
    Louie Meullers (Taylor TX) for brisket
    Rudy Mikeska for something different
    Southside Market for sausage
    Salt Lick for anything "q"

And in my mant travels the second exit off I95 North in Kingsland Georgia next to the Wendy's, Blue's BBQ for ribs. Totally awesome.

When in Texas (where I live) I would rather take an ass whuppin' than eat at Rudy's.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Wed, 10/10/07 9:14 PM (permalink)
      Recently The Arkansas Heritage Festival aka The King Biscuit Festival had many vendors serving BBQ. Tops was an outfit called Jones and Jones. It was the best I've ever eaten.

Big Country

• Total Posts: 6
        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 10/15/07 3:35 PM (permalink)
        A private vatering company in the Fresno Cloivs area of California. Deep South BBQ. I was told they are working on a sit down place. I sure hope it pans out.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 10/15/07 4:09 PM (permalink)
          My earlier post stands, but I'll add Smitty's for sausage and Kreuz for brisket.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 10/19/07 10:34 PM (permalink)
            I recently had the fine opportunity to attend a conference in Austin, TX. My boss had arrived a day earlier and picked me up at the airport. This was lunch time, and I convinced him to drive a half-hour down to Lockhart to sample some of the finest 'q in the land.

We did lunch at Smitty's, and even after warning him not to over-order, he described himself as suffering from a "meat coma." I ordered two slices of brisket, three ribs and one sausage link. He ordered two-two-and-two. Having eaten at Smitty's before, I should have known better to ask them to slice the brisket a little thinner and they gave me three of the largest ribs that they must have had in their cooker. It was an enormous portion of food. I could not finish the sausage and left part of one rib, too.

On the way out of town, I suggested that we hit Southside Market in Elgin "on the way out of town" (sort of!). I did not over-order here, and my boss didn't either (fool me once...). I did, however, also get some additional brisket to take on the plane. While everyone else was eating peanuts, I chowed on some fine beef brisket. I also ordered a small piece of sausage, which died an unfortunate death in the back seat of my rental car. Oops...forgot it was there.

The general consensus was that the sausage was tops at Southside and the brisket was best at Smitty's. Having eaten at both Smitty's and Kreutz's numerous times, I cannot say definitively that one is better than the other.

Sundancer7

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 10/20/07 4:27 AM (permalink)
              Traveling Man: Sounds to me like you did the right thing by traveling down to Lockhart. I recall the last time I was there, we got the sausage at Smitty's and it was super. Brisket at Kreutz was also very good.

It is hard to be the BBQ in that part of Texas.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

glcarey

• Total Posts: 3
                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 11/1/07 3:44 PM (permalink)
                My stepdaughter and I both agree that the best BBQ we have ever had (other than off her grill) is at Super Smokers in Eureka, MO.

I also ate once at the Ridgewood and that ranks right up there too.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 11/1/07 4:27 PM (permalink)
                  Is Super Smokers still in business? All their St. Louis locations went under. The one on the far north side of town, near where I-270 turns into I-70, has been replaced by a Bandanna's BBQ.

Buddy

chuck - 48

• Total Posts: 8
                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 11/1/07 4:49 PM (permalink)

Around Syracuse, NY, it's the Dinosaur BBQ (www.dinosaurbarbque.com), but down South, it's Smokin Jim's BarBarQue (Coventon, Ga.)

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4724
                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 11/2/07 12:15 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Is Super Smokers still in business? All their St. Louis locations went under. The one on the far north side of town, near where I-270 turns into I-70, has been replaced by a Bandanna's BBQ.
                      Terry Black reorganized and reopened the[url='http://www.supersmokers.com/locations.asp']original location[/url] in Eureka. I'd like to stop there sometime but I'm never around Eureka during their business hours...

Brad

TheNose

• Total Posts: 29
                        RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 11/26/07 4:43 PM (permalink)
                        1) City Meat Market in Giddings, Texas

2) Smitty's in Lockhart, Texas (father-in-law owned Kreuz's before he died)

3) City Meat Market in Luling, Texas

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 11/26/07 7:10 PM (permalink)
                          Living up in Maryland i seldom get good BBQ, but when in Tennessee I always go to Ridgewood outside of Bristol.

Akavar

• Total Posts: 361
                            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 11/27/07 8:26 AM (permalink)
                            Robear -

I managed to get to Ridgewood once. It was a great BBQ and it intorduced me to their style of Eastern TN BBQ. I can't wait to get back there.

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
                              RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 11/27/07 8:50 AM (permalink)
                              There was a Black guy who set up shop at the foot of the bridge in west Bainbridge, GA in the old Johnny's Seafood location, near Elberta Crate and he had the best barbeque beef I think I ever had. And enormous portions to boot, with wonderful tangy hot ketchup based sauce.

He lasted there maybe not quite the summer and fall--certainly not a full year. One day I drove up and he was packing things, so I asked him what's the deal and he replied he had been called back to the Ministry. That was a sad day for me, as I thought he was already doing God's work with his barbeque. This was all about ten years ago as best I can recall.

I hope she's still out there somewhere, doing well.

Second to that was the sliced beef barbeque that a certain James Taylor served when he was running Country Boy's restaurant--a side of the road palce on the Faceville Hwy that has gone through innumerable incarnations (Mr. G's, Country Boys, Michaelangelo's, and on...) since at least the late '70s. This was maybe the mid '80s. He also served humongous portions with exxcellent french fries, but sadly, also closed up shop after a year or two for some reason.

bighank66

• Total Posts: 5
                                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Tue, 11/27/07 11:59 AM (permalink)
                                Parker's in Wilson, NC and Danny's in Raleigh/Cary, NC.
                                Tough to beat either one!
                                Reading these posts is making my mouth water...

Brocktoon

• Total Posts: 10
                                  RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 11/30/07 9:14 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by glcarey

My stepdaughter and I both agree that the best BBQ we have ever had (other than off her grill) is at Super Smokers in Eureka, MO.

I also ate once at the Ridgewood and that ranks right up there too.

My parent's go there every couple of months, even though it's on the wrong side of a 80+ mile trip to st. louis.

I'll say my mom's ribs.

Rab Dalas

• Total Posts: 16
                                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 12/3/07 12:11 PM (permalink)
                                    Circle M BBQ in Liberty, SC
                                    Sadler's Creek BBQ in Anderson, SC

Both are swell. I prefer the BBQ at Circle M, but Sadler's Creek is an amazing value and close in quality.

Rockbeast

• Total Posts: 44
                                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 12/17/07 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Rockbeast

I've enjoyed Interstate in Memphis, Gates in KC, and unknown shacks in Sonora, TX, Houston, Ruston, LA. But from my childhood, I remember after church on Sunday my family would drive way out in the country in west Knox County, TN, near Dixie Lee Crossroads at the Loudon County line, and sat at the counter of a white little shack with cords and cords of hickory drying under cover outside and a stream of fragrant smoke coming out of the little chimney that led down to the inner sanctum of flavor.

I can't believe it but at the moment I can't remember the name of the place! Wait! I just remembered...Ott's BBQ. A little family owned place. It was very cute with the pictures of pigs on the wall, the flat buns for the sandwiches. Part of the fun as a kid was being able to pick my very OWN potato chips from the little metal clip stand. It didn't matter if I chose Salt 'n Vinegar because they were all mine!

Man, I loved that place. I went back a few years ago, and it was still great...but since then the family business has disappeared. A sad loss for me and probably several others here west of Knoxville, TN.

Now I might get Buddy's BBQ, but it's not nearly as good. A chain, Famous Dave's has pretty good ribs.

Ott's is being rebuilt! I posted this in another thread about Tennessee BBQ, but wanted to update my previous post. I think it will open up in early 2008, new owners, but I've heard they hired some people who worked for the original family who originally owned Ott's...

Liquorsuit

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 12/20/07 9:45 PM (permalink)
                                        In Buffalo, NY we have several worthy candidates for best BBQ: Donnie's BBQ, Kentucky Greg's and Al-E-Oops. All in their own way are excellent. I will not pick a best, just try all three and I am sure you will be impressed. I think that any of these 3 places could hold their heads up high to any BBQ joint in the US.

Many people tend to think that great BBQ can only be had in only the BBQ capitols: KC, Texas, Carolina's etc. Each of those has their own unique style. Sometimes YOUR local BBQ joint is an amalgamation of all the great places in the US.

Eat Local, Dine Nationwide.

Big_g

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Thu, 12/20/07 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Rockbeast
                                          Ott's is being rebuilt! I posted this in another thread about Tennessee BBQ, but wanted to update my previous post. I think it will open up in early 2008, new owners, but I've heard they hired some people who worked for the original family who originally owned Ott's...

I drove past it yesterday heading home from Knoxville...they've got a way to go but they were sure gettin' busy with it. I bet its ready to go before spring. YUM!

Coldwind

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 12/21/07 2:37 AM (permalink)

The best 'cue I ever had was a pulled pork sandwich at a kiosk
                                            about four blocks south of Mainstreet in Louisville Kentucky,
                                            not far from the Courthouse. Smokey, tangy tomato-based sauce,
                                            served on white bread in a wax paper wrapper, a cold can of soda
                                            pop, ate it on a low concrete wall in the parking lot, thought
                                            I might die.

Very good pulled pork at Sarge's on South Street in Philadelphia,
                                            and an immense bowl of excellent collards, but it's got to be gone
                                            long ago.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                              RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 12/21/07 7:54 AM (permalink)
                                              Some of the best I've had was at Parker's BBQ in Sylvester, GA, on Rt 82 between Tifton and Albany. Going West it's a little wooden building on the right side of the road. It's been a while since I've been up that way, hope he's still there doing well.

tbmbuzz

• Total Posts: 1
                                                RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 12/21/07 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                                Goode Company in Houston for awesome beef brisket

Mary's Pit BBC in Maysville, AL for "ribs" which are actually pork chops!

Tomvista

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Fri, 12/21/07 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                                  two years ago, we took a trip back east. Stopped at a lot of the barbecue joints in Texas (city market, blacks, Kreuz market,Smitty's market, and Myers) and the Carolinas(sticky fingers, Bessingers, Lexington barbecue, Jimmy's BBQ, barbecue Center) and in Kansas City (Jack Stack, Arthur Bryant's, K. C. masterpiece). We had some fantastic barbecue.

Several months ago, they opened a barbecue place in my home town of Sierra Vista. It's called El Paso barbecue. It's a small chain. I think their brisket, ribs and pulled pork is as good as anything I ate back east. The finishing sauces aren't as good but their meat sure is.

So if you have an opportunity to eat at one of these El Paso chains take advantage of it.

matty373

• Total Posts: 17
                                                    RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 12/22/07 12:19 AM (permalink)
                                                    The best bbq I ever had is a tie. The first was in a dilapidated shack outside of West Plains, Missouri. They had the greatest sandwiches with coleslaw on top and beans that I crave to this day. They were made using the some of the same sauce they had for ribs and there were burnt ends mixed in. Unbelievable. The other was a guy in a parking lot in Lawrence, Kansas. He was a retired cartographer and had welded an old map cabinet to the frame of his crappy old Toyota pickup. The drawers got bigger from top to bottom and he would put the heat source in the bottom and fill each drawer with different kind of meat. The top ones had sausage, then ribs, then brisket, chicken, pork, etc. Not only was the meat perfect, but he was as interesting as you would ever hope to meet. There are places in KC, Memphis, NC, Texas and elsewhere that I love and will eat whenever I can, but those two are the ones that are stuck in my head. Both places were perfect for roadfood and sadly, I can't tell you how to get either.

On a different note, I am new to the Evansville, Indiana area and would love some advice on the best around here. Especially any epically good spots, within an hour or so. Thanks.

Coldwind

• Location: Minneapolis, MN
                                                      RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 12/22/07 5:42 AM (permalink)

In Evansville you are only a few miles from Owensboro, Kentucky -- one of the only places (the only place?) they barbecue mutton. It's the local specialty. I don't know where to tell you to go, but go you must, & let us know what you find.

campbed8

RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 12/22/07 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                                        Try out Baby Back Joe's in Hendersonville, NC. The ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender and the barbequed pork and beef stands alone (no sauce needed, although the available sauces are delicious).

Wannabchef

• Total Posts: 157
                                                          RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Sat, 12/22/07 11:50 AM (permalink)
                                                          http://www.hitchingpost1.com/Menu.html

Can't beat this one - I'm most fond of the Santa Maria style BBQ.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                                            • Location: McKinney, TX
                                                            RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? Mon, 12/24/07 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                                            Brisket: Tom & Bingo's Hickory Pit BBQ, 34th St., Lubbock, TX. Brisket and only brisket; no sauce needed!
                                                            Minced Whole Hog: Wilbur's, Goldsboro, NC. Bring on the Scott's Sauce & hush puppies!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 17, messages 241 to 270 of 481

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com