The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA)

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 146
Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 9:14 AM (permalink)
Ahh, yes, Cliff: Weatherbeaten Signs! I like this one, from Butte, Montana:

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 9:21 AM (permalink)
    Here is a really sorry sign that we came upon when entering a Holiday Inn many years ago. What I don't understand is if the training session is for people who already are competent or for those who want to be. (In the latter case, I suspect the sign maker was an attendee.)

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
      Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 9:25 AM (permalink)
      Michael, here's one that I know is near and dear to both of us...

carolina bob

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 9:30 AM (permalink)
        Correction... make that all of us!
        <message edited by Carolina Bob on Tue, 04/13/10 8:41 PM>

Mediator

• Total Posts: 11
          Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 10:50 AM (permalink)
          Someone needs to share the St. Louis classic:  "Brains 25 cents, Drive-in."  It was painted on the side of a building and was a source of great civic pride until its demise.  I don't have a copy of the image, but surely someone does out there, as it has long been available in these parts as a postcard.

I also have fond memories of a wonderful misspelling on another sign in St. Louis.  It used to advertise, among other delights (shrimp, tripe), "quarter pound bugers."  I wish I had thought to photograph it.
          <message edited by Mediator on Tue, 04/13/10 10:52 AM>

MiamiDon

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 11:40 AM (permalink)
            I can't find any images in the public domain, so here is a link to one at a poster company.

http://www.artistrising.c...-25-cents-drive-in.htm

Mediator

• Total Posts: 11
              Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 2:51 PM (permalink)
              Thanks, MD.  I used to smile every time I passed that sign and I was sure sorry to see it go.

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 3:27 PM (permalink)
                ChiTownDiner

cecif

Elliston's in Nashville?

CORRECT! (no guesses from anyone for the other(s)?)

I'm surprised Billyboy did not tell me I am not allowed to guess the "mystery" signs he's got there, since he KNOWS I know.

BTW here I was feeling badly that I loaded up 5-6 pics, so I made them extra small... I needn't have bothered, apparently.

I don't want to offend anyone, but isn't this a SIGN thread, rather than a buildings/various favorite restaurants/etc thread?? We have lots of space in trip reports for those kinda pics. I think. Just my humble two cents.

<message edited by cecif on Tue, 04/13/10 3:28 PM>

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                  Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 5:05 PM (permalink)
                  buffetbuster

For simplicity and rustic charm, I love the Family Pie Shop in Arkansas.

Beautifully workmanship. Obviously done by an expensive professional.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                    Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/13/10 7:15 PM (permalink)
                    Mr. Billyboy,
                    Though I am much excited that some distant relative runs a much loved Q place,
                    What's the deal with the Monarch Crown sign in the background? Pretty cool also.

buffetbuster

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Wed, 04/14/10 2:31 PM (permalink)
                      Sure, this may be a highly specialized category, but this has to be the best sign, written on a giant meat pie.

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                        Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Wed, 04/14/10 2:38 PM (permalink)
                        Hee-hee!  In one of my RF books, It says " Rhymes with LAZYBONES!"  lovelovelove it!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                          Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Wed, 04/14/10 2:58 PM (permalink)
                          Hey Bill, Club Monarch is a banquet hall/wedding reception/dance club place.  Not sure if it is still open but that building has been there as long as I can remember.  I asked them at Voss' if they knew you and boy, the stories they told me!!  hehe

MS, this is quite the thread you started.  Thanks!

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
                            Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Wed, 04/14/10 7:08 PM (permalink)
                            Cecif, I'll not say anything about those pictures you posted, mainly because I watched you take a couple of them.  I'll let the others have a stab at it.  The only one that was new to me was the one in Nashville where the word "STAG" was plainly visible.  The others I knew in a nano-second.

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Wed, 04/14/10 7:19 PM (permalink)
                              The sign definitely has been spiffed up since we first came across Keaton's:

Carolina Bob

carolina bob

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Wed, 04/14/10 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                Michael Stern

The sign definitely has been spiffed up since we first came across Keaton's:

Carolina Bob

Michael, that sign in front of Keaton's still looks just as tired and worn-out as it does in your photo. My pic is of a new sign that the owners put up at the intersection of US 64 and Woodleaf Rd., about two miles or so north of the restaurant. I guess they got tired of hearing everybody complaining about how difficult it was to find the place; nowadays getting to Keaton's is no problem at all.

Wabbit

• Total Posts: 477
                                  Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Wed, 04/14/10 9:57 PM (permalink)
                                  Carolina Bob, I will meet you at Keaton's next month!

carolina bob

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Wed, 04/14/10 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                    Wabbit

Carolina Bob, I will meet you at Keaton's next month!

Traci, you better not get there after I do or there might not be any chicken left!

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Thu, 04/15/10 4:21 AM (permalink)
                                      Hieroglyph in northern California:

capgemlib

• Total Posts: 1
                                        Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Thu, 04/15/10 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                        What's up with the Swan????

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/16/10 8:06 AM (permalink)
                                          Caffeine in Rocky Mount, North Carolina:

buffetbuster

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Mon, 04/19/10 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                            Spotted this weekend.
                                            <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 04/19/10 2:45 PM>

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                                              Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Mon, 04/19/10 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                              Before I clicked on this thread, I knew EXACTLY which photo I would see.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Mon, 04/19/10 3:04 PM (permalink)

Bob and Ron's Fish Fry
                                                Albany, NY
                                                (photo borrowed from the internet)

Great sign, great fried fish, great memories of my college days.

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Mon, 04/19/10 4:53 PM (permalink)
                                                  That is a beauty! On the subject of fish fries, this is one of my favorites:

Pigiron

Bob and Ron's Fish Fry
                                                  Albany, NY
                                                  (photo borrowed from the internet)

Great sign, great fried fish, great memories of my college days.

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                                                    Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Mon, 04/19/10 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                                      As a graduate of (mccormick&schmick's) Fish University, I'm sayin' that is a damn fine plywood GROUPER....Very nice Mr. Stern,But, WHERE?

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 890
                                                      Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/20/10 12:26 PM (permalink)

Here's one of my favorite signs...

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                                                        • Location: Pittston, PA
                                                        Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/20/10 1:25 PM (permalink)
                                                        Gotta love those combo signs.

joerogo

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/20/10 1:28 PM (permalink)
                                                          Let's not forget, "truth in advertising".

joerogo

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Tue, 04/20/10 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                                            This one is inside Coney Island(Lackawanna Ave) in lovely downtown Scranton.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 146

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com