What's good in San Antonio?

Author
Braatz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
2007/10/20 22:23:42 (permalink)

What's good in San Antonio?

My husband will be on active duty in San Antonio for the next 7 weeks. Any suggestions?

23 Replies Related Threads

cyrano
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/21 12:09:25 (permalink)
    If by chance your husband's stationed at Randolph AFB, my favorite (mostly) undiscovered Mexican restaurant is close by on Pat Booker Rd., which leads to the base-- La Fiesta Patio Cafe. It's been around for years, and features something very different than what most Tex-Mex places have-- healthy food. Free-range chickens, grass-fed beef, light cooking oil, which creates one of the lightest puffy tacos I've ever had. I can really taste the difference, but unlike some places that try to cook healthy Tex-Mex, it still tastes very good. Caveat-- I haven't been back in 3 years. Over a 20-year period, I can say that the food has been of the same quality every time I've been, but there's always that chance.

The only good food on the Riverwalk isn't exactly on the Riverwalk-- Schilo's Deli (forget the address), which has been doing German food for forever. My grandfather was a South Texan of German descent, and Schilo's reflects the strong German heritage of the area.

Pick up a Texas Monthly and read the restaurant listings for more current recommendations, although they tend (with exceptions) to be on the expensive side.
    Braatz
    Junior Burger
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/21 13:43:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestion. He is actually at Ft. Sam Houston. He doesn't mind a little bit of a drive for good eats. I will be joining him in a couple of weeks for a visit so we'll check these places out.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/21 13:46:30 (permalink)
    "Mi Tierra" Mexican cafe and bakery in market square has been around since 1941. It is the one "must go" place I get to anytime I'm near San Antonio. Fantastic, authenic food, atmosphere and baked goods--with a good roaming Mexican quartet. Warning: It is always crowded.
    porkchop922
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/21 15:52:02 (permalink)
    Reevesis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/21 19:07:34 (permalink)
    I always made sure to hit Mi Tierra as well... some say it's mostly for tourists, but what the hell... the food's delicious and the people watching is great fun.

I loved Taco Haven for breakfast tacos... 1032 S. Presa St. Usually loaded with locals and the tacos are huge and cheap.

ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/21 19:42:35 (permalink)
    My father used to take me for chorizo breakfast tacos to Your Tako House on San Pedro, which may still be there. The extended family went to the Barn Door on New Braunfels for steaks. Surely there are many RFers in Texas who will chime in! Keep the topic "active" so that those enlightened folks will see it.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/22 10:55:45 (permalink)
    Braatz, my father has a better memory than I, it seems! This is what he says:

"Taco Cabana across San Pedro from NorthStar Mall: good Mexican food, very reasonably priced, and should not be considered fast food. Plastic tableware, yes, but very good enchiladas. Tourists and locals alike enjoy Mi Tierra downtown, with mariachis and so forth. La Fogata out on Vance Jackson, outdoor atmosphere, mariachis and the whole nine yards; good quesadillas and you will remember the char-grilled scallions. I always try to eat some chicken enchiladas at Mitla Cafe right across the street from the St. Anthony hotel downtown, I don't think there are any better (lunch only). Lulus Jailhouse for chicken-fried steak and cream gravy....and if they are coming from Houston, at Sealy, right on I-10, Tony's Restaurant has the best chicken-fried steaks and gravy in South Texas. You mentioned the Tako/Taco House on San Pedro. If your friends are stout eaters with stainless-steel bellies, the menudo there is the best I have eaten, surpassing Blanco Cafe on Blanco."

Buen provecho!
    Braatz
    Junior Burger
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/22 11:46:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll let him know there are plenty of good eats in town. Keep the suggestions comin.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/22 16:06:35 (permalink)
    Best burgers in the area - go to Chester's
    Braatz
    Junior Burger
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/22 21:49:55 (permalink)
    Oneiron,

Like good burgers. Can you give me an idea where Chester's is?

Thanks.

Hey Ayersian... Went to to Taco Cabanas today for lunch. Funny enough I went to the one by North Star Mall. It was good food and I'm prett sure I'll be going back there to try other things on the menu. I like the salsa bar that they have.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/23 07:13:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Braatz

Oneiron,

Like good burgers. Can you give me an idea where Chester's is?

Thanks.

Hey Ayersian... Went to to Taco Cabanas today for lunch. Funny enough I went to the one by North Star Mall. It was good food and I'm prett sure I'll be going back there to try other things on the menu. I like the salsa bar that they have.

Chester's is a small chain they have about 3-4 in SA. I usually go to the one on the north side freeway (can't remember the exit). Check the phone book or they may be on line.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/23 09:25:11 (permalink)
    There is a Chester's on Blanco Road,but there is also one on Pat Booker Road .It is located in the old Pizza Inn and right next to Mc Donald's as you drive up Pat Booker towards La Fiesta Patio Cafe.
    El Toro,next to McDonald's has good breakfast tacos and other food.They are located in the old Taco Bell,also on Pat Booker.
    Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo is pretty good.I had there one time the smoked catfish.Nice Flavour and texture,would get it again.
    To get there,just go I_35 North,and get off at the Kirby and FM78 exit.Take 78 past RandolphAFB and cross Cibolo Creek.Now you are in Schertz.Keep going on 78 two miles.When in Cibolo,tape I think they call it Loop536.Make a left on 536 and keep going straight till you come to the light,then turn left on Main Street.It will be on your right hand side before the railroad tracks.There is also Catelano's Pizza and the Cibolo Bakery.The bakery has good products,and I liked the stromboli I had at Catelano's.
    El Tortillita in Cibolo is popular.they have specials like Thursday is 2 puffy tacos,2 enchiladas,rice and beans.It's always packed at lunch and dinner.
    Don't know much about places near Fort Sam. There is the Bun and Barrel on Austin Highway,that has bbq and other things.
    on S.W.W.White Road is Mr.and Mrs.G's Home Cooking.It is cafteria style serving line,but all the food is freshly made,and has gotten good reviews in the paper,and I think a few people here have eaten there.They don't have a website.They have fried chicken,greens,etc.etc.
    My sister likes Tomatillo's on Broadway.There is also the Picante Grill on Broadway,as well as a new mexican place.I can't think of the restaurant's name right now,but I think it is in the Old Bejing Express Chinese Restaurant. Another place in town is Rolando's Super Tacos.There was one on Broadway,but i think they moved.But,there is one on Walzam.Their name comes because they make these really big tacos.
    Also there is Goerke's Country Tavern near Marion.I think they have a website. And there is near Adkins,Aurora's Cafe down on 1604.
    Texas Pride BBQ has a website,and they are located on Lavernia Road in the St.Hedwig area. They have on Friday nights a fish fry and live music. Some day I plan to get down there for that.
    There are some places to eat in Lavernia,which is located on US Hwy 87,but the only place there in town I have eaten is Dairy Queen.
    In Seguin,where US Hwy 90 and Us 90 Alternate split,is a mexican restaurant that was very good. But I can't think of the name.
    In front of the building is some sort of monument.
    Also El Ranchito in Seguin is good.It is located on the Texas Hwy 123 Access Road. TX123 will take you to San Marcos,but all I ever ate there was fast food.
    I had a steak tamipcano at Garcia's Mexican Restaurant in Schertz,on FM3009.Have eaten there about two or three times. Carmine's in the same plaza has italian food,and gotten good reviews,though I think the service is slow.
    There is the Grist Mill in Gruene,Texas,near new Braunfels.It was an old mill and sits right next to the Guadalupe River,and you can dine outdoors there. Been years since I was there, but the food was good.
    Also check out SACurrent on line.It is a local paper which has articles and reviews of places to eat as well as clubs,etc.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/23 10:20:45 (permalink)
    Glad you liked it, Braatz. Here's a note from my mother: "When I was in SA last month, a group of us ate at Casa Del Rio on the Riverwalk and we took the boat ride from there. I really enjoyed it, the food was good and I learned some history about the riverwalk, cost for that was only $5. This time of year is very pleasant in that area. They have to go to La Villita, lots of little arts and craft shops. Don't know if your dad mentioned Bill Miller's BBQ, they are all over SA. Taco Cabana is my favorite Mexican fast food, it is good and cheap."

My mother grew up in San Antonio, my father was stationed there in the Air Force, and they both lived there for a few years after they got married. We still have family there, so my folks get down there pretty often. Hope this helps you!
    Braatz
    Junior Burger
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/23 18:03:59 (permalink)
    Holly,
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I just hope I'll have enough free time to get to all these great places. If you think of anymore keep them comin. I'll try to fit them all in.

ayersian,
    tell your mother thanks. can't wait to get down there. I may go down this evening for dinner. I'll let you know how it goes.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/24 07:20:25 (permalink)
    "Steers and Beers" off the shopping mall. Cheesy, cowboy tgif-ish, but fantastic catfish

Olmos Pharmacy 3902 McCullough 210-822-3361
    For Olmos read sterns review I recommend chocolate cherry shakes and chilaquiles

Gm steaks across from the Alamo has good fried appetizers (okra) and fantastic boston cream pie, but the rest is so-so and do not eat the cheap steak.
    GM Steakhouse 211 Alamo Plaza 210-223-1523 (Closed Tuesdays)

Armadillos 1423 McCullough Avenue 210-226-7556

They had something on the menu called "Armadillo Eggs'. I thought they would be deep-fried jalapenos. I ordered a side of them to eat in the car. The hamburgers were served up in 1/3 pound, half pound and full pound patties. Snugly back in the cab I opened the syrofoam container holding the "Armadillo eggs" and immediately started laughing my head off. Nestled Inside the container was perhaps the most creative presentation of snack food I have ever seen...fried round tortillas were sprinkled with jalapenos and blanketed with white cheese. In the center of each tortilla was a little squirt of melted Velveeta that served to make them look uncannily like fried eggs!! And they tasted spectacular. When I got back to the hotel, I opened up my second styrofoam container and again was surprised and delighted. This flying saucer of a hamburger filled the entire container. It must have been seven inches in diameter! That's why the waitress kept harping on size! I guess it does matter. Crispy, greasy, charred to perfection, with a soft squishy bun, it was the quintissential cheeseburger experience.

Mr. Ice Cream 423 E Commerce St 210-224-5749 banana pudding ice cream yum!
    Braatz
    Junior Burger
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/25 11:39:21 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone that has helped us out. Both of us can't wait to try so many of these places. He is well on his way to trying many of thse suggestions and I can't wait to go visit and try them as well. Thanks again.
    Braatz
    Junior Burger
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/28 21:50:54 (permalink)
    Well, I have managed to get to a few of the places that you have all mentioned. Taco Cabana and Casa del Rio on the Riverwalk to be exact. Some of the people I am in class with, that have been here before, have mentioned some of the same places that have been listed in the forum. Looking forward to getting to some more of the ones listed. If anyone has more suggestions keep them coming. Thanks for the info.
    retsof
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/30 13:37:14 (permalink)
    Near New Braunfels, try Clear Springs Cafe, on Rt. 46 toward Seguin

http://austin.citysearch.com/profile/10080939/new_braunfels_tx/clear_springs_cafe.html

It's about 3 miles from New Braunfels, next to a large grain elevator with nothing else around. It's in an old historical cotton warehouse, with bentwood trusses. Picnic tables outside are under some large trees, so fine in themselves for waiting.

1692 Hwy 46 S
    New Braunfels

Catfish is good. Burgers are OK. What you go for is the onion rings, better than the average bear. A "small" order feeds 2 or 3. A "large" order is piled high on a dinner plate, and can serve 6.
    retsof
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/30 13:42:20 (permalink)
    On 842 Fredericksburg Road in San Antonio is Garcias. I think this is the large restaurant that I remember. If you go to a Tex-Mex place for a large chunk of salmon with an interesting sauce, that's the place. It's very cheap for what you get.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/31 13:16:50 (permalink)
    Yeah ClearSprings Restraunt in the town of Clear Srpings is good.i enjoy their fried catfish and shrimp combo.I've had their gumbo once which was good. The hamburger i tried there wan't bad,i thought it was tasty,but that's just me.
    Steers and Beers and Armadillos I have heard of but never tried.
    Has anyone tried the liberty Bar and Grill in the old Bohlner's building near the San Antonio Museum of Art? You can't miss the place because the building leans.
    Haven't been to Olmos Pharmacy yet.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2007/10/31 13:21:33 (permalink)
    I may also be there in the spring. Any good BBQ there? Or do I have to go to Luling, et al?

leannin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2008/03/30 21:33:51 (permalink)
    I don't know if this is too late but we were in San Antonio in mid February. Countyline BBQ in my opinion is just ok; not spectacular. On the Riverwalk we loved Casa Rio the prices are very reasonable. You can get an awesome and inexpensive breakfast at G.M. Steakhouse, across from the Alamo. Its not fancy; the cops eat there, the style is cafeteria to order. For Mexican or steaks/burgers try The Guadalajara Grill in La Villita, you can get there via Riverwalk or from the street, is also a great and reasonably priced dining experience.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: What's good in San Antonio? 2008/03/31 11:22:26 (permalink)
    If you want a little something upscale try Boudros on the riverwalk. Great food and drinks. Esquire magazine voted them them best new restaurant 10-012 yrsa ago and they're still going strong.
    bkk
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1