Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's up with Quiznos?!!

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 75
saps

• Total Posts: 1551
RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/12/04 4:01 PM (permalink)
I'll second Potbelly. They move you in and out quick, the counter people are pleasant, the sandwiches are good quality and the shakes are great. They have one in Midway Airport- I always stop there when I'm on the way to a plane.

pants

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/12/04 8:15 PM (permalink)
    i was a fan of the spongemonkeys long before this got started...
    part of me is glad to see them get their "big break" but what usually happens when things go mainstream, they get ruined...hopefully they will remember their roots.

Edwaste

• Total Posts: 168
      RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/12/04 11:06 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by ikayak

I can't stand Quizno's. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to stand any sub sandwich kind of place in years. Best sub place ever was run out of kiosk on Broadway in Boulder CO in the early 70's Now those were subs!!!

Don't think I can run to Boulder when I get the craving for a sub. Sure, any good deli could possibly make a better sandwich than Quizno's. But if I get the munchies at 9:00p.m., where do I find an open deli?

anselmo1

• Total Posts: 126
        RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/12/04 11:19 PM (permalink)
        Quiznos just opened up three stores in the suburbs of Buffalo. There are long lines trying them out since they are new in town. Tried their Black Angus sub and was disappointed in the meat portion. The sub cost me over $8.00 which I thought was kind of steep. As far as the commercial, it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Edwaste

RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Fri, 02/13/04 2:13 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by clothier

OK, wait a second.

And how great was "the apprentice" last night?

I thought 2 should have been kicked last night.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
            RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Fri, 02/13/04 2:42 PM (permalink)
            I'm waiting for Subway to sign up Weebl & Bob to counteract Quizno's Spongmonkey ads...
            http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/pie.htm
            I agree with the posters who have said they are funny on their own merits, but it doesn't make me want to eat at Quizno's. But for the 15 - 30 set, I'm betting Quizno's "cool" factor just went through the roof...

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
              RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Fri, 02/13/04 2:45 PM (permalink)
              Ikayak -- What sub place are you talking about? North Boulder or South Boulder? I grew up in north Boulder (on the hill between Broadway and 19th).

And guys, it's spongmonkeys, not spongemonkeys.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Fri, 02/13/04 6:57 PM (permalink)
                What I want to know, is it pronounced sponge? Or spong with a hard 'g'?

I also agree about it not being an appetitzing draw, but it really does blow their cool factor into orbit.

hungovergourmet

• Total Posts: 188
                  RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Fri, 02/13/04 10:06 PM (permalink)
                  This seems to be a hot topic in many groups I frequent! I first caught the spots when we were in Florida. I figured they were regional, I couldn't imagine they were part of a national campaign. Lo and behold, I get back to Baltimore and there they are.

While I've never eaten at Quizno's and have no desire for a toasted sub (blech!) I think the spots are great and they make me laugh out loud every time I see them. Frankly, the ad agency that came up with the campaign really did their job... when was the last time anybody was talking about Quizno's??!! Sort of like a certain body-part-baring fading pop star who is now in the news...

Ralph Isbill

• Total Posts: 185
                    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Fri, 02/13/04 10:28 PM (permalink)
                    Quiznos has just opened in my town, tried them and was suprised. Better than subway. We had a sub shop, local owned, they beat all the big boys in the taste department, but couldnt make it. Sad

Art Deco

RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Fri, 02/13/04 11:09 PM (permalink)
                      Not to criticize, but "better than Subway" isn't much of an endorsement... There's a small chain (based out of Memphis, I believe) called Lenny's that does a good job around here...

goody00033

• Total Posts: 3
                        RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Fri, 02/13/04 11:32 PM (permalink)
                        sorry about the link problems... clicking on the link seems to make it unavailable. If you copy and paste it into a new browser window, you should be able to see it. There's no doubt in my mind that they used the body of a tarsier.

~ Aaron

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                          RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Mon, 02/16/04 5:31 PM (permalink)
                          I've never seen a Quiznos, but I love the commercials. I enjoy anything that goes against the norm of advertising. My 14 year old daughter loves them too.

I can't say, however, it'll do anything to get me in a Quiznos, I also enjoy anything that goes against the junk food chain system....like a local sub shop.

evilpez

• Total Posts: 18
                            RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Mon, 02/16/04 6:14 PM (permalink)
                            What Quizno's needs to do now is capitalize on the furry critters sky rocketing cool factor and mass produce little beanbag sponge-monkey's with one of them new fangled voice chips in em. So when you squeeze it - he sings a few lines... I remember the squawkin' plush chi-hua-hua's Taco Bell had out a few years back - they sold like hot-cakes, or burritos in that case.

This way in forty years you'd be sitting in front of your television, gumming a double cheeseburger senior meal while watching some old fart who dragged a dusty Quizno's spongemonkey critter to Antiques Roadshow looking for an appraisal.

Personally - I would like to say - I was hip to www.rathergood.com long ago - and these enigmatic balls of hair and teeth had me laughing hysterically then - and moreso now. Mainly because the entire ad campaign has confused the majority of viewers. Angered some. Disgusted others. The ad exec who pitched this thing had balls. And now - due to the over-whelming response to the spots - probably a corner office with sweet view.

Art Deco

RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Tue, 02/17/04 4:34 PM (permalink)
                              No fries. Small order of prunes...

Art Deco

RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Tue, 02/17/04 5:11 PM (permalink)
                                Not yet...

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
                                  RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Tue, 02/17/04 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                  I've never really understood why anyone would want to buy a sub in the first place, unless it came from a small Italian grocery store. I mean, they're so easy to make. A loaf of bread, olive oil, salt and pepper, Genoa salami, sopprasetta, mortadella, capicola, provolone, lettuce, onion, tomato, olives and roasted peppers. Simple. And so very good.

Sundancer7

RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Tue, 02/17/04 8:47 PM (permalink)
                                    Actually in my opinion Quizno's has a pretty neat concept. I like the toasted taste. I bought Quiznos in Columbus, OH in the mid 70's and I enjoyed them very much.

I guess what sets them apart is the toasting process. It makes a difference to me.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                      RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Wed, 02/18/04 5:19 PM (permalink)
                                      I had a toasted sub in a diner in Johnstown, New York. I guess they are known as grinders. Must be why it ground the roof off my mouth...ouch!

eaglerich

• Total Posts: 39
                                        RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/19/04 4:31 AM (permalink)
                                        My kids (12 and 17) both love that commercial and will sing the song for hours after hearing it. That should tell you all you need to know about the Quizno's commercial.

zukitchi

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/19/04 2:10 PM (permalink)
                                          Yes, that animal is indeed a Tarsier, which is a lemur, a relative of monkies and even people. In fact here is the exact picture they used and altered in order to make it:

http://www.primates.com/tarsier.htm

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                                            RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/19/04 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                            In regards to the Quizno's spot, The Chicago Sun Times dedicated a whole page to it in the Monday paper, with people weighing in with their opinions of the creatures. Essentially, a full free page of advertising in a big market newspaper.

Michael Hoffman

RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/19/04 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Edwaste

I don't know, but being waaaaaaaay past twenty something, I still laffed like hell when I first saw the spongmonkey moon song, and was amazed at Quizno's boldness to use them in an ad. Maybe I'm still a kid at heart.
                                              The ad does not make me feel like running to a Quizno, but no fast food ad succeeds in that respect. Extreme close-up of steaming greyish-brown grilled beef between a bun make me want to turn Atkins/vegan.
                                              I been to a Quizno a couple of times before seeing this campaign, and compared to Subway, Quizno food wins hands down. (or should I say monkey paws down?).
                                              And I live in Subway's hometown.

P.S. look how much we are talking about this ad, and how we remember it's for Quizno's.
                                              So is this ad campaign a flop?

Do you live in Subway's orignal home town of Bridgeport, or their adopted hometown of Milford?

Edwaste

RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/19/04 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:

Do you live in Subway's orignal home town of Bridgeport, or their adopted hometown of Milford?

I have lived in Bridgeport during the early days of Subway. I can't remember where his first shop was.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                                  RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Thu, 02/19/04 8:37 PM (permalink)
                                                  I like those little guys and their song. I'd like Quiznos too if for your 6 bucks you got more than 1 slice of meat on your sub.

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
                                                    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Mon, 02/23/04 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                                    I hate that commercial and will not patronize the chain as long as they run it. It is the most annoying thing on TV, and that includes any videos run on MTV and the Anna Nicole show.

Michael Hoffman

RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Mon, 02/23/04 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

quote:

I have lived in Bridgeport during the early days of Subway. I can't remember where his first shop was.

Of course. I forgot. You're one of the East-enders.

Michael Hoffman

RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Mon, 02/23/04 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

I hate that commercial and will not patronize the chain as long as they run it. It is the most annoying thing on TV, and that includes any videos run on MTV and the Anna Nicole show.

if you think that's the most annoying thing on TV, then may I suggest to you that you are not watching enough TV?

I have yet to see that Quizno's commercial.

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
                                                          • Location: Joliet, IL
                                                          RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Mon, 02/23/04 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

quote:
                                                          Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

if you think that's the most annoying thing on TV, then may I suggest to you that you are not watching enough TV?

Trust me, I watch too damn much TV.

Edwaste

• Joined: 12/12/2001
                                                            • Location: Milford, CT
                                                            RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! Mon, 02/23/04 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

quote:

Of course. I forgot. You're one of the East-enders.

Actually, I was from the north end. (that's where the good pizza was at!) Ace is an east-ender.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 75

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com