What's up with Quiznos?!!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
capnhank
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
2004/02/07 02:56:27 (permalink)

What's up with Quiznos?!!

Can somebody tell me what these things are supposed to be?

According to the Quiznos[url='http://quiznos.thegraphicsarchive.com/Press_Release_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=109&AssetID=562']website[/url], they are "monkeys". Monkeys?!! Now, I'm no zoologist, but I think I know a monkey when I see one and that ain't it!
Also, what's the deal with Quiznos' "pepper bar"? I'm sorry, but jalapenos and banana peppers do not a "pepper bar" make. Can I get some sweet cherry peppers? Roasted red peppers? A nice serrano? Nope. Unless it comes from Allied Sysco in a #10 can, it won't be on the "pepper bar".
Stupid place.
I think what disturbs me most is that they've always got a line out the friggin' door while some excellent local delis are struggling to survive.

That's my rant. Thanks for listening.

74 Replies Related Threads

Leania_1stone
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/07 06:25:46 (permalink)
    Ok thank you thank you thank you someone finally said something about this commercial I'm sorry but this does not make me want to go eat there this makes me have a migraine and want to go crawl in bed LOL I have to change the channel or mute the sucker when this comes on it's sooooooooooo irritating and I have no clue what those things are supposed to be but Monkeys??? Hello no way looks more like deformed hamsters I hope they lose this advertisement quickly!
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/07 08:42:48 (permalink)
    Oooooh, you like the spongmonkeys? Well here's where it all started.
    http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18626
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/07 10:19:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Edwaste

I love it.
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/07 16:52:08 (permalink)
    I just got turned onto the song yesterday, and I can't stop singing it! It's like a train wreck -- I can't stop watching!

I like the MOOOOOOON!!!!
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/07 18:17:01 (permalink)
    It reminds me of a hairy Mr Hankey from South Park
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 09:17:32 (permalink)
    Quiznos is disgusting to me, horrible sauces, thier onions are retched, salads are worse. the "turkey bacon guacamole" is the number one item on the menu list in hell. First of all how can one human being eat a large one? how? and the pepper bar is just sauces with some sad banana peppers on the side hanging out like sad little mistakes.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 09:27:28 (permalink)
    Huh...using rodents to advertise a restaurant. Exactly which Madison Avenue ad exec gave this account to their 23-year-old stoner son because their spouse begged them to give junior "just one more chance"??
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 10:17:12 (permalink)
    I asked my kids the same thing. They think the commercials are hysterical. I am just perplexed. They look like dead hamsters preserved for a lab experiment. When I see the commercials I smell formaldehyde and could not possible eat there. Grosses me out.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 11:12:44 (permalink)
    What's next? Rats-a-Roni?
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1563
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 11:16:54 (permalink)
    I think I saw them scurrying across the floor at the Quizno's near my house. For some reason, I don't think it's a good idea to place deranged rodents with disjointed assymetrical eyes and British teeth in a food advertisement-It's a bad association. They look like they may even be poisonous.

However, these rodents may be more intelligent than the stoned high school kids that work at Quizno's.

If you ever find a small two-inch guitat at your house, be afraid-be very afraid.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 11:57:17 (permalink)
    I was at best neutral about Quizno's. I tried them a while back a time or two. They seemed ok. The last time I tried about a year ago, and was not impressed.

That commercial was the last straw. When I first saw it I thought, WTF? Disgusting. They ought to immediately fire the ad agency, and anyone in the Quizno's organization that approved those commercials.
    johnnym
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 12:12:53 (permalink)
    I actually think the commercials are funny. I would say the ad campaign makes me want to try Quiznos.
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 13:31:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

quote:
    Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

Quiznos is disgusting to me, horrible sauces, thier onions are retched, salads are worse. the "turkey bacon guacamole" is the number one item on the menu list in hell. First of all how can one human being eat a large one? how? and the pepper bar is just sauces with some sad banana peppers on the side hanging out like sad little mistakes.

So, you didn't like it, that's what you are saying?

I know its hard to read me sometimes isnt it? im pretty vague.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 14:00:33 (permalink)
    The weird creature looks like a morphed rat and does nothing for my appetite. We don't have any Quiznos chains in Rochester, so I can't say I've the pleasure, or displeasure (based on some posts) of dining there. We do have a great independent sub deli (forgot the name), and Wegmans grocery has sub shops in their style. Fresh baked rolls made there, and lots of good veggies and cold cuts. Want roasted red peppers ?, no problem...
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 15:13:11 (permalink)
    Every time this commercial comes on, two things happen:

1) I hit the MUTE button
    2) Worry whether someone slipped some bad acid in my lunch; then decide it's the ad agency that's trippin', not me...
    capnhank
    Hamburger
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 15:29:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reassuring feedback! I knew I wasn't alone.

Edwaste, that link explains a lot. I guess those spongemonkeys are somehow vaguely related to those ghastly cats playing the Ramones covers on VH1...

I must say that I, too, find it disgusting to use rodents to advertise a restaurant. As if Chuck E. Cheese wasn't bad enough, we are now subjected to some sort of mutant prosimians beating on guitars. Not healthy, people!
    Pwingsx
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 16:19:48 (permalink)
    They totally gross me out on the Quizno's commercial. However, taken alone and on their own merit, the Moon Song just absolutely slays me.

I'll bet they hit that twentysomething and teenage crowd right between the eyes, however.
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 22:45:09 (permalink)
    I don't know, but being waaaaaaaay past twenty something, I still laffed like hell when I first saw the spongmonkey moon song, and was amazed at Quizno's boldness to use them in an ad. Maybe I'm still a kid at heart.
    The ad does not make me feel like running to a Quizno, but no fast food ad succeeds in that respect. Extreme close-up of steaming greyish-brown grilled beef between a bun make me want to turn Atkins/vegan.
    I been to a Quizno a couple of times before seeing this campaign, and compared to Subway, Quizno food wins hands down. (or should I say monkey paws down?).
    And I live in Subway's hometown.

P.S. look how much we are talking about this ad, and how we remember it's for Quizno's.
    So is this ad campaign a flop?
    Pwingsx
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/09 23:22:22 (permalink)
    Edwaste,

I completely agree with you on this. I wasn't terribly impressed with it as an ad campaign, and being more than twice twenty, it still was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen, when taken alone as the Moon Song. People need to lighten up.

And I know a lot of people who would agree with you on Subway vs. Quizno's. I happen to like them both. For completely different foods and reasons.
    TIPPY LEE
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/10 07:58:42 (permalink)
    Yo! The spongmonkeys ROCK!! I love the moon! A true rock classic....
    capnhank
    Hamburger
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/10 11:23:34 (permalink)
    I'm not saying the ad isn't doing its job, I'm just saying that it baffles me that anybody would find them appetizing (not that they're on the menu or anything, but you know what I mean...).
    Hell, I've got a friggin' Marketing degree for cryin' out loud! I wish I'd thought of a campaign that would generate a fraction of this much conversation (with brand name recognition, no less!). Maybe it's a symptom of the downfall of society that a place as patently mediocre as Quiznos can use ghastly little monkey-like creatures with decidedly limited hunger-building appeal to generate this sort of interest. Then again, I found myself noticing that the food stylist had placed droplets of water on the tomato slice on the McVeggie the other day. It looked strangely attractive, even though I am well aware that the odds of a truly fresh tomato being within a mile of a McDonalds are about a million to one.
    I need to get out more often.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/10 16:50:49 (permalink)
    The ad certainly got my attention although I cannot truly figure out what the creatures are or their purpose.

I like the way Quizno's toat their sandwich. Really improves the sandwich.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1097
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/10 16:52:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Edwaste

I think the spongmonkeys are the most normal thing on that website. I'm just glad I don't have speakers at work so I had to wait until I got home to play some of the things on there.

I will admit that after I listened to it, I spent the rest of the night singing I love the moon in a strange voice. My wife got a little tired of it. It still doesn't make me want Quizno's though.
    goody00033
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/12 10:29:45 (permalink)
    Like all of you, I wondered initially what the heck the Quizno's advertising department was doing. What are those things, we all asked. I finally figured out one of them tonight.

The singer has the body of a tarsier that's sitting on a branch. If you don't know what this is, a tarsier is a small, nocturnal primate that lives amongst the trees. Do a search for some photos and you'll see what I mean. They added the bowler, the strange eyes, and a bizarre mouth to it. I don't know for sure what the guitar player is, but it's not a tarsier.

It's unfortunate that they resemble rodents or roadkill or other negative things, but at least one of them is a primate - just like you and me! I get the feeling from talking to co-workers and reading these posts that about 50% of the people enjoy the commercials in a sick sort of way (I do!), and the other 50% now refuse to go to Quizno's. Regardless, Quizno's has you talking about their restaurant. That, to me, is great marketing. Oh, and I love their sandwiches!

~ Aaron

goody00033
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/12 10:31:53 (permalink)
    Click this link to see an image of a tarsier next to the Quizno's character:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/1521/quiznos_tarsier.jpg
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18626
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/12 12:13:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by goody00033

Click this link to see an image of a tarsier next to the Quizno's character:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/1521/quiznos_tarsier.jpg

I get This page not available.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/12 12:15:56 (permalink)
    I'm glad people are talking about these things. They're disgusting. The commercials look cheap. And they're not very funny.

Our Quizno's here had record crowds on opening day, but once everyone figured out how crappy the food is, their business died off quickly.
    ikayak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/12 12:58:59 (permalink)
    I can't stand Quizno's. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to stand any sub sandwich kind of place in years. Best sub place ever was run out of kiosk on Broadway in Boulder CO in the early 70's Now those were subs!!!

But let me tell you... I love the work of Joel Veitch at www.rathergood.com. Maybe it's because I lived in the high atmosphere of Boulder for too long, but his kitten videos make me smile any day!!!
    Badwaiter
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: What's up with Quiznos?!! 2004/02/12 15:37:34 (permalink)
    The first time I saw that Quizno's ad I wondered where I sign up to become an account exec and get my name on an office door. Its apparently easy to have a career in advertising.

Anyway, if we are going to talk about a chain of sandwich places that toasts their bread, I'd like to put in a plug for Potbelly's. I think they are regional to Chicagoland right now but I like their menu options and their shakes are good as hell.

http://www.potbelly.com/
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1