What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/15 16:35:18 (permalink)
My first job, believe-it-or-not, was as a HoJo's bus boy.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/15 16:36:01 (permalink)
My fave treat at a chain restaurant is the coconut shrimp at the Outback steakhouses.............no one does them any better!!
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/15 16:36:21 (permalink)
Much of this HoJo talk was covered in a thread already. Long lost chains was the name I believe. Look it up...there's lots of good stuff in it.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/15 17:57:08 (permalink)
Hey Grampy,
If you had a table near the entrance and exit from the Kitchen, you could have swiped the unused Parsley Sprigs as they returned to the Dishwasher station...

On another subject...The one the thread calls for, One of my favorite bar foods is the 'Coconut Shrimp' served at Outback. At times a couple of orders of those little devils and a couple of American Foster's make me a happy snacker. (CHEEEZZZZZ Sorry I didn't see your similar post above....but I agree with you 100%)

About Howard johnson's... I, like I-95, had a job early in my life cooking on the 4pm to closing shift at the HoJo's on rt 95 north of Boston. I think the best meal in the place was on "Fish fry Nite" I recall that it was all the flounder , Fries and slaw you could eat for a Buck (1963-64). That WAS good fish.
For ice cream, ButterCrunch was my favorite...But HoJo was the only company who has ever made a Peppermint flavor ice cream that didn't taste like Mylanta.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/15 18:11:26 (permalink)
I mention the parsley because I picked up a sprig of it as a joke and bit into it. Nobody in Queens that I knew ate parsley in 1960 -- "parsley is garsley," as Ogden Nash said. My parents thought it would give me a stomach ache. From what the Mayor says, they were right. Whatever, the ice cream was a cure.

I thought that HoJo's was especially sophisticated because they had whipped potatoes, not mashed.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/15 18:59:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
Not to have to patronize chains unless I want to or have to... that's my favorite treat there.
Not To Eat Is To Eat, Third Eye Half Blind Ort.
P. S. Mom-and-pop eateries are the cat's pyjamas!!!

Dearfolk,
Don't get me wrong... I'm not particularly anti-chain, I just find that mom-and-pops serve better, if more quirky, individual food - and often at cheaper prices. Plus, there's wads more to learn by eating at such establishments than at anyplace that could be anywhere, not just where they are. All too often, chain places are like Gertrude Stein's apt description of Los Angeles: "There's no THERE there!"
Besides, right now, with lettuce prices soaring as high as Ben Franklin's thunderstorm kite, Waffle House's chef salad is a hard-to-beat bargain. And there are others similar....
Clarifyingly (Not Quite Like One Does With Butter, Though), Ort. Carlton in Clear-As-Crystal Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I don't own any chain restaurant t-shirts except for one Gyro Wrap one that dates back 11 or 12 years. (David Carter, the local franchisee, says mine is the oldest wearable one he's seen lately.) I did. however, spring for a Normaltown Cafe' shirt today.
What I really collect is obscure beer t-shirts, but that's for another ramble....
i95
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/15 19:12:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Hey Grampy,
If you had a table near the entrance and exit from the Kitchen, you could have swiped the unused Parsley Sprigs as they returned to the Dishwasher station...

On another subject...The one the thread calls for, One of my favorite bar foods is the 'Coconut Shrimp' served at Outback. At times a couple of orders of those little devils and a couple of American Foster's make me a happy snacker. (CHEEEZZZZZ Sorry I didn't see your similar post above....but I agree with you 100%)

About Howard johnson's... I, like I-95, had a job early in my life cooking on the 4pm to closing shift at the HoJo's on rt 95 north of Boston. I think the best meal in the place was on "Fish fry Nite" I recall that it was all the flounder , Fries and slaw you could eat for a Buck (1963-64). That WAS good fish.
For ice cream, ButterCrunch was my favorite...But HoJo was the only company who has ever made a Peppermint flavor ice cream that didn't taste like Mylanta.

Great discription and an even better memory, ATMB !!
i95
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/15 19:15:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Wow.

That's cool.

Not like batboy for the Tigers or the Orioles cool, but cool.

Can you feel the excitement over the Tejada signing? Have you re-upped your season tickets yet?

While they're interchangeable (Boston vs. Baltimore), I'm actually a displaced New Englander and a card-carrying member of the Red Sox Nation. Chowder Heads Rule !!! Watch-out in 2004 !!

P.S. F@#% Babe Ruth !!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/15 21:55:17 (permalink)
The kid's size cheeseburger at Roy Rogers
Breakfast biscuits at Hardees
Chicken and Biscuit at ChikFiLet
White Castles
Biscuits and Gravy at Bob Evans
Hash Browns at the Waffle House
Green Beans at Cracker Barrel
Any breakfast at First Watch

Oddly, I don't like the donuts at Krispy Kreme...although I have seen raves from others about them
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/16 15:38:02 (permalink)
I'm partial to the chocolate pies at Baker's Square. The entrees there, which I've never tried, look pretty mediocre. Does anyone remember when this place was called "Poppin' Fresh Pies"?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/16 16:48:23 (permalink)
O'Charleys has a great butterscotch pie. I use to go there, but since they had the hepatitis problems a few months back, I have not returned.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
i95
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/16 17:01:30 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

Wow.

That's cool.

Not like batboy for the Tigers or the Orioles cool, but cool.

Can you feel the excitement over the Tejada signing? Have you re-upped your season tickets yet?

While they're interchangeable (Boston vs. Baltimore), I'm actually a displaced New Englander and a card-carrying member of the Red Sox Nation. Chowder Heads Rule !!! Watch-out in 2004 !!

P.S. F@#% Babe Ruth !!

You're a Chowd? That explains a lot. I mean alot.

How about that Curt Schilling then, eh?

Clothier-hoping the Tigers manage to lose "only" 100 this year.

Let's just hope they can hold onto to Garciaparra.

NNNOOOOOOOOMMMMMAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/16 19:22:29 (permalink)
Most anything at a Steak "N Shake.

Wally
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/19 13:50:14 (permalink)
My fav far and away is La Madelines, French Bakery Cafe,
Their out of Texas I belive, Wood burning Ovens for all of their baked goods,
And a nice jop on all the entres . Good and very inexpensive.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/20 13:30:03 (permalink)

Is it my imagination, or does the plate of lobster appear to be floating in midair above the plate of steak? I wanna go there!
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/20 13:38:36 (permalink)
I wanna go here, too...

berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/20 14:43:17 (permalink)
Cinnabon is a good one for satiating a hungry sweet tooth. We used to like the fruit rollups at Perkins, but the local Perkins all closed a few years ago. They just built a new one, and the staff there never heard of fruit rollups.

Blueberry pancakes at Bob Evans are great. One of the few places that mixes them into the batter instead of just serving a blueberry sauce on top.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7016
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/20 22:57:06 (permalink)
Yeah, real nice pics! Ohhhhh, Floating Lobster, my favorite! Maybe they here having a seance and levitated it......the two guys in the picture look suspicious.

clothier, if you paint your roof orange, you can't have ET cuz it'll clash with her RED HAIR!!!

And you'll have to sign a contract saying you'll promise to make Fried Clam Strips every Friday night. " />
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/21 02:24:33 (permalink)
That's actually very funny! "Wiggie", was my unfortunate childhood nickname. We used to have a family business and had a "special" employee who had ingested a few too many illegal substances in the 60s. One day he was trying to coerce me into leaving the book-keeping to go play basketball with him out back. He enticed me with the basketball, "Look, don't you want to play with it...it's so big, and shiny, and ORANGE..." When I ignored him he got angrier and angrier and finally shouted, "Oh, c'mon, you BIG ORANGE WIG!!!" That has been my even more unfortunate nickname ever since.

But if you're offering clam strips, I'll climb right up on your big orange roof...
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7016
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/21 02:38:00 (permalink)
Elise, what else are you gonna climb on? Huh? Naughty red head!
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2003/12/21 05:16:56 (permalink)
That was not a double entendre!!!
autumneyez04
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/02/21 22:08:18 (permalink)
OH goodness so many to list. Guilty Chain Pleasures
Here are a few good ones!

Quesadillas at TGI Fridays

Tiramisu from Olive Garden

Cannoli from any place that sells it

Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie from Chili's -A warm, chewy bar layered with chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut. Topped with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with hot fudge and caramel.

Just thinking about these things right now gives me a warm feeling in my tummy
autumneyez04
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/03/16 16:52:11 (permalink)
I went to Outback Steak House for the first time this past weekend and tried the Chocolate Thunder from Down Under Sundae I've heard so much about! It was almost to die for and I'm not even a brownie person!!! *drooling*

Chocolate Thunder From Down Under®
Fresh-baked pecan brownie, rich vanilla ice cream topped with hot homemade chocolate sauce, fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

And for the record... their salads are huge, be sure to try the tangy tomato dressing... WOW!

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/03/16 17:14:37 (permalink)
quote:
Don't get me wrong... I'm not particularly anti-chain, I just find that mom-and-pops serve better, if more quirky, individual food - and often at cheaper prices. Plus, there's wads more to learn by eating at such establishments than at anyplace that could be anywhere, not just where they are. All too often, chain places are like Gertrude Stein's apt description of Los Angeles: "There's no THERE there!"

Ort: Gertrude Stein said that about Oakland (her hometown), not Los Angeles, and regardless, like most people, you're misusing the quote. She was referring to the fact that her childhood home had been demolished, not giving a blanket dismissal to the city as a whole. It's a regretful quote, not a snidely dismissive one.

Speaking of snidely dismissive, I do so love the way that certain people always have to be among the very first posters on any chain-restaurant thread to remind the rest of us of how morally superior they are because they refuse to patronize such horrid establishments. Food snobbery's an ugly, ugly thing, folks, and it makes me sad whenever it shows up here.

That said, I gotta agree with the Peanut Buster Parfait. If you could only buy this at one dairy bar in upstate New Hampshire between June 18 and August 26 of odd-numbered years, the food snobs would be wetting themselves in fulsome praise of this treat.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/03/25 15:58:20 (permalink)
Cracker Barrels Chocolate Cobbler.
It is really warm chocolate cake topped with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce. It is wonderful.
Kindred One
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/04/08 23:20:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by danimal15

I'm partial to the chocolate pies at Baker's Square. The entrees there, which I've never tried, look pretty mediocre. Does anyone remember when this place was called "Poppin' Fresh Pies"?
Kindred One
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/04/08 23:31:32 (permalink)
stupid computers. Let's try this again. As far as I understand, Poppin' Fresh Pies, Baker's Square, and Village Inn are all the same, but different for different regions. In IL, it was called the former two. In Orlando, it's Village Inn. Same pies, same names for the pies. (But I agree: french silk rocks!)
As far as the Original question that got buried under a plethera of food fantasies: one of my favourite chain desserts is Chili's paradise pie. They had to wreck it by cheapening the presentation of it-- used to be delivered in a sizzling skillet, and everything got carmelized. It's still good-- but it was better before. Leave it to "Corporate" to continue to live up to our low expectations.

Oh! If anyone is traveling through Orlando...you've got to go to Pebbles restaurant. There's one close to Disney...the food, the Service!, the atmosphere is wonderful. Try the goldbrick sundae. YUM.
Green_Chile
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/04/09 00:15:53 (permalink)
Butterscotch or cherry dipped cones at DQ. My absolute favorite though was at a small local chain here called Bob's Burger, which they no longer make called and Orange Whip. It was kinda like an Orange Julius only way tastier, and just on the verge of turning into a slushie....better brain freezes are hard to find.

Ahh just remembered another good one, used to get frozen cokes from Burger King before all the ones on my side of town closed. Very nice for when it's 98 degrees in the shade
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/04/09 08:21:07 (permalink)
My favorite treat at a chain restaurant is the sweet potato pecan pie with vanilla ice cream at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen. Delicious!
albinoni
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/04/09 11:47:55 (permalink)
Old Country Buffet--most of their food is ordinary, even ghastly, but the fried chicken is really good, if (and that is a big if) you get it as it arrives right out of the kitchen. It means you have to locate yourself at a table where you can see what's going on, and it takes some work, but it is worth it.

I also like their insanely oversugared desserts--apple crunch, bread pudding, chocolate something-or-other and peach cobbler. Cookies are not bad either.

I only go to OCB when I am in a mood to flagrantly violate all of my most cherished eating principles as well surrendering any claims to being a healthful eater.

Charlie
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1