What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4584
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/12/26 21:41:35 (permalink)
I suppose a little toleration for those of us who still find a few select things we enjoy at chains would be too much to ask, WJ?
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/12/26 23:06:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shell

Do you remember Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor? That was my favorite place growing up! Both my brother and I would have Birdthday parties there. Sometimes I wish I lived in California just so I could go to the only two Farrell's still open. (Well, not that bad, I just can't leave Wa State for California!)

Is/was it anything like this?

On a trip through Madisonville, Kentucky, last year I came across a roadfood restaurant downtown called Farrell's. On the west side of Main St./US 41, the building was white except for the windows and green letters spelling Farrell's. Advertising that it had been open since 1929, it was small and everyone sat at the counter. The burgers were cooked on a hot metal surface a la Steak 'n Shake and were small. No onions, unlike White Castle. Talk about nostalgic!
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/12/26 23:19:59 (permalink)
My favorite chain desserts have to be anything from Culver's.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/12/27 00:48:47 (permalink)
I eat whatever is available, and it usually means chains when I'm in a hurry on the road. Given that, I shamefacedly admit to a fondness for Chili's Country Fried Steak. I make no claims as to its authenticity; but it's invariably been piping hot, tender, and tasty when I've gotten it. And the cream gravy is nice and peppery.

(Go ahead: drum me out of the corps. Ring the bell, close the book, and douse the candle, for I have fallen int the sin of heresy. )
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2004/12/27 03:36:05 (permalink)
I'm not a big sweet eater so i'll have to say a couple of double cheeseburgers from Mac's is my guilty pleasure- chain or not!
MYmimi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/03/04 20:52:33 (permalink)
Buca di Beppo's CHOCOLATE CANNOLI:

Three filled cannoli shells on a sea of chocolate Sambuca sauce with candied pistachios and powdered sugar.

These are to die for!!!![:
p]
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/03/06 02:28:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

None, I don't eat at chains! However, there is a local chain here in Rhode Island called Greggs. They have approx 1/2 dozen locations and are known for their desserts. Their carrot cake is just out of this world!
wanderingjew, not to start anymore "chain" trouble, but do you "actually shop in a grocery store"? Do you you use gas stations? Do you go to a regional "chain" hospital? Dr Bud and Martha next door are getting a little long in the tooth. Well if you are, you're going to chains. You should boycott "all" chains, period. Raise your own livestock, brew your own beer, cook your own food and maybe buy an electric car. LOL. Sorry this is kind of a joke, but come on now- with the exception of the few Mom and Pop restaurants in my area, we're over run by franchising everywhere. I have my places and you have your's- relax man.
Green_Chile
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/03/06 04:17:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

None, I don't eat at chains! However, there is a local chain here in Rhode Island called Greggs. They have approx 1/2 dozen locations and are known for their desserts. Their carrot cake is just out of this world!
wanderingjew, not to start anymore "chain" trouble, but do you "actually shop in a grocery store"? Do you you use gas stations? Do you go to a regional "chain" hospital? Dr Bud and Martha next door are getting a little long in the tooth. Well if you are, you're going to chains. You should boycott "all" chains, period. Raise your own livestock, brew your own beer, cook your own food and maybe buy an electric car. LOL. Sorry this is kind of a joke, but come on now- with the exception of the few Mom and Pop restaurants in my area, we're over run by franchising everywhere. I have my places and you have your's- relax man.

Hypocrisy is the crown jewel in this case....you can't convince him. I calls them as I sees them.

Let's get back to tasty treats.

Here's a fine example: Groton,CT at a little Carvels, we used to get Chocolate covered Frozen Bananas on a stick! Those things were just awesome.
jdamia
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/03/28 10:27:26 (permalink)
Restaurant Chains -
Molten Lava Cake - Chili's
Snickers Ravioli - Macaroni Grill

Fast Food Chains -
Chocolate Cherry Love Blizzard - Dairy Queen
Apple or Cherry Turnovers - Arby's
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/03/28 11:43:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

No....no one around here would ever start more "chain trouble." Somehow, I missed this post the first time around, but I can clear this up for you.

I have taken one of the more aggressive anti-chain discussion stances around here -- I am sure that there are many a post that can back that up. But, I am not anti-chain -- as I find that I eat in some of them on pretty rare occasion. However, this site is dedicated to "The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America." It is on the front page -- in big, bold, blue type -- right at the top. You can't miss it. If you want, I will wait here while you go read it for yourself....

Done?

Further, the front page goes on to describe "What is Roadfood?" I will let you view that one on your own time, but you get the idea. If I eat at Carabba's (which I have done on), I don't feel the need to tell people about it -- because it is the same as the Carabba's that you have near you.

If this was a web site dedicated to the local general store, Pop's fillin' station, or bed and breakfast, then posts about Publix, Exxon, and Hampton Inn would likely be just as out of place.

I do my best to shop small businesses where it can be done, is not too inconvenient, and where the business can offer better quality than can be found elsewhere.

This is not meant as a brag, but even the corporate stores/chains/franchises -- whatever you want to call them -- that I frequent, have most of their roots in mom and pop businesses -- Publix is the most clearly defined example that I can think of off the top of my head.

If you want to read this as another anti-chain post -- go ahead, but you would really be missing the point.

Steve
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/03/28 11:51:01 (permalink)
DQ chocolate chip banana blizzard
Steak 'n' Shake malteds
White Castle burgers
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/05/07 08:27:02 (permalink)
The strawberry cheesequake blizzard at Dairy Queen. The apple empanadas and cinnimon twists from Taco Bell are yummy, too.
Tiramisu
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/08 12:46:01 (permalink)
Olive Garden's TIRAMISU.
plantdetective
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/09 16:12:39 (permalink)
Wendy's Fries dipped into their Frosty. Such a guilty pleasure
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/09 16:44:03 (permalink)
No sweets for me so I'd have to say Boston Market creamed spinach
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/09 16:57:13 (permalink)
A Dairy Queen dip cone. Only when on a road trip or it just isn't right.
shell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/09 17:01:13 (permalink)
Okay, "road food" is my preference, I love to go into small places that are just cutting a living for themselves, and serve great food to boot! And being a single Mom walking in the door with three boys, I do get the looks sometimes. That's not fun, but for the most part, the people are warm and welcoming and happy to have us there.

But sometimes, you just don't have time for that and you just HAVE to run in for a quick bite or treat! Baskin N' Robbins is my guilty pleasure! Fudge Brownie IC to be exact! Or for a quick meal, ARby's Roast Beef Sandwich (Although I have to admit, sadly, they are going downhill!)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4584
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/09 17:11:20 (permalink)
The hamburgers (particularly the little buckaroo burgers) and roast beef sandwiches at Roy Rogers.

Yub yub
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/10 11:21:44 (permalink)
Driving by them on the way to my local Bakery!---by the way---Muscogee Bread Works make KILLER Danish! and fabulous brownies!---but i must admit---i too am a sucker for DQ softserve---or ANY soft serve --while on the road!
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/16 21:33:25 (permalink)
I actually went out for dinner with my mother to Red Lobster on Tuesday. Haven't been there since I was about 6. We tried their vanilla bean cheesecake. Wow. It's definitely among my favourite (if not my absolute favourite) chain desserts.
snackmonkey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/30 11:35:22 (permalink)

My favorite chain restaurant treat... this is going to seem gluttonous, I know. Some of you may even say "that's not a treat!!" But I will go on to explain. Here goes;

My favorite chain restaurant treat is a McDonald's sausage McGriddle (no cheese or egg) and a bacon and egg bagel.

First off, I eat this meal twice a year (otherwise I'd be as big as a house!!). Second, I do not eat pork products in my day to day life so me consuming the sausage and bacon combo would shock even my wife!! HA!! When I get this I usually order it to go (either from the drive through or I'll walk in quickly so no one will see me). I then scarf it all down in the relative privacy of my car. I feel like a junkie when I do this though... the thrill of picking up... the initial rush of flavor pleasure when I take that first bite... and the inevitable guilty feeling that washes over me afterwards as I realized I just consumed a weeks worth of calories and fat grams. Did I say grams? I meant ounces!
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/30 12:11:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

A Frosty from Wendy's

You can now get mix-ins with your frosty. They have Oreo, M&M, and Butterfinger. I am not sure if these have been released nationally but we have them here in Ohio. They come in a little plastic cup instead of the regular drink cups.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/30 12:18:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

A Frosty from Wendy's

You can now get mix-ins with your frosty. They have Oreo, M&M, and Butterfinger. I am not sure if these have been released nationally but we have them here in Ohio. They come in a little plastic cup instead of the regular drink cups.

Florida as well. I'm on my way to get one and some frys. Chains are my only choice on UF campus!
aharste
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/30 12:28:38 (permalink)
marshmallow malt at DQ

pumpkin cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory (seasonal)

fish sandwiches at White Castle

Occasionally I get a Big Mac craving

coconut cream pie shake at Sonic (every year when we go to Bristol, TN, since we don't have them in Minnesota)

I guess I don't eat at many sit-down chain restaurants.
n4mtees
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/30 12:57:47 (permalink)
To Al-The Mayor-Bowen and all the other former HOJO employees,
Perhaps we could start a "tell your HOJO employee stories forum"
I was a dishwasher, who then graduated to cook, and finally ran the "middle" at the Binghamton, NY HOJO's. It regularly was the busiest in upstate NY division. All summer long we would have lines out the door and running all the way down to the motel's entrance, about 50 yards.
I have many memories, fond ones, funny ones, sad ones, and on and on.
I met the Beach Boys there and was invited to hear them practice at North High School. When we got there, the school officials wouldn't let us in, so we went around to the side of the building, and joined all the students trying to get inside (apparently if you left the building, you weren't allowed to get back inside). After climbing through the girl's bathroom window, we joined about 10 students waiting for the coast to clear and join the show going on in the theatre.
A janitor heard us and burst in, and we all ran for the window. I was the last to escape and broke the window with my elbow as I made my exit. I still have the scar.
Dennis Wilson told me later he had seen us and went to the door but we'd already started for the side of the building.
I'm not sure how to start a new page/forum, so if Al-The Mayor-Bowen or one of ther moderators could guide me, let's get started.
Thanks!
n4mtees
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/30 13:07:43 (permalink)
There are none so blind, as those who will not see.
Sorry, folks. I see the "New Topic" icon.
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/06/30 13:17:57 (permalink)
The exit.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2005/07/08 15:52:37 (permalink)
In Billy's Burg we are in the land of chains and we eat out alot.
You can't have Pierce's BBQ every day!

McD's - Biscuit & Gravy; their shakes, especially the seasonal flavors like raspberry and eggnog. But lately they don't seem to clean the machine and everything tastes like vanilla.

Taco Hell - Caramel Apple Empanads! They're FRIED you guys!

Hardee's - Peach shakes and very guilty pleasure - pork chop biscuit! with mustard!

Krispy Kreme's cinnamon twists.

Ruby Tuesday's cheese fries, Red Lobster's Coconut Shrimp (although after the recent take out meal, maybe not any more), Ihop's crepes.
dwcregg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2006/07/09 14:26:15 (permalink)
I'm new to Santa Clarita in SoCal and just had my first experience ever with Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. Hard to believe that as a displaced boy from Boston that after living out here for 3 years that I only just now tried Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. Very sad considering I literally live 2 miles away from it!!!

Hey, as a Bostonian, I remember, miss, and love a great place to eat called FRIENDLY'S. Anyone out here ever been to one on the East Coast? It's a franchise that's been around for the past 70 years and they have great food and awesome icecream desserts. http://www.friendlys.com/ My favorite dessert sundae was called the JIM DANDY; five scoops of ice cream, strawberry, marshmallow and chocolate topping, a split fresh banana, sprinkles, walnuts and whipped topping. Wow, wish I could have one right now. I remember they also had an icecream drink called a FRIBBLE, which was a variety of super-thick milk shake.

If you're ever in New England, do yourselves a favor and drop into a FRIENDLY'S restaurant. I can promise you won't regret it. Enjoy!!!
---dwcregg
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: What's your favorite "chain" restaurant treat? 2006/07/09 21:33:11 (permalink)
I have a weakness for the female baristas at Starbucks.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1