The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets?

mitsui

• Total Posts: 3
Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Thu, 06/9/05 4:03 PM (permalink)
I used to love these. They were so damn good, then about 8 or so years ago my local KFC stopped selling them (it was around the time that they started selling those horrible chicken strips). It was the only thing I could eat from KFC (that and their french fries but then they dumped those for those potato wedges which also suck)... are they still avalible in other places? Who was their supplier? Boy would I give anything to be able to have those tasty little pieces of chicken again

Mr. K

• Total Posts: 4
    RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Thu, 06/9/05 4:12 PM (permalink)
    Yes! My earliest memories of Kentucky Fried Chicken (before its recent incarnation as KFC) are of their very delicious chicken nuggets! I can recollect that I loved the nuggets while I was a toddler during the 1980s. Ah, memories...

mitsui

• Total Posts: 3
      RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Thu, 06/9/05 4:20 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Mr. K

Yes! My earliest memories of Kentucky Fried Chicken (before its recent incarnation as KFC) are of their very delicious chicken nuggets! I can recollect that I loved the nuggets while I was a toddler during the 1980s. Ah, memories...

Thank goodness I am not the only one to recall these wonderful treats!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Thu, 06/9/05 5:27 PM (permalink)
        I wish I could report from this neck of the woods, but KFC has served nothing but crap here... Needless to say, once my favorite fast food place, I wouldnt hand them a nickle anymore...

Mr. K

• Total Posts: 4
          RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Thu, 06/9/05 5:27 PM (permalink)
          They were veritable nuggets of gold! [:p
          quote:
          Originally posted by mitsui

quote:
          Originally posted by Mr. K

Thank goodness I am not the only one to recall these wonderful treats!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Thu, 06/9/05 6:22 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Oxtail2000

What is wrong with you people?

You should all just shut up about the stupid chains and only let the smart people post here!

Oxtail... Welcome to the forums! But knocking someone elses opinon will get your nowhere. Just adds fuel to the fire... Yes, KFC now sucks, but we get beyond that! Do one better and report on one (or two) of the best chicken joints in your town! (And explain why)... Yet some of these forums can get a bit testy at times, but if you read carefully, there's tons of info to be extracted from folks that care!

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Thu, 06/9/05 6:24 PM (permalink)
              I'll admit it, when I was about 10 years old (before discovering Roadfood) I also enjoyed those nuggets. Thanks for bringing back memories.

archinIL

• Total Posts: 26
                RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Tue, 07/5/05 11:53 AM (permalink)
                I did like the Kentucky Nuggets as well. Nowadays, all I can eat at KFC is their chicken (sounds kinda dumb, but I am sure you know what I mean). They dropped the chicken littles a while ago. About 8 years ago, they dropped the nuggets. Then, about 5 years ago, they dropped all sandwiches except the zinger. And that snacker they have now. Both of which I do not care for.

I know some KFC's have liberty as to what menu items they can carry.... would be interesting to hear if any existing KFC's still have the nuggets.

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
                  RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Tue, 07/5/05 6:39 PM (permalink)
                  Haven't seen nuggets in some time aroud here, but it looks like there's chicken-fried steak in their future. Noticed a sign on the KFC in a neighboring town advertising it on Wednesday nights.

Buffalobrown

• Total Posts: 5
                    RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Fri, 07/8/05 4:27 PM (permalink)
                    It was determined, that they in fact, were NOT chicken, along with anything also claiming to be chicken which is served at McDonald, Burger King or Wendy's.

Jadey

• Total Posts: 9
                      RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Tue, 10/31/06 10:27 PM (permalink)
                      Kentucky Fried Chicken used to be my favorite fast food place. In high school I would eat there almost everyday. It was either 3 chicken littles, fries and a drink or nuggets, fries and a drink.

Now I can't stand it. My girlfriend is 7 years younger than me and absolutely hates KFC. She's never even heard of Chicken Littles and doesn't believe they ever had nuggets. She thinks I have it confused with some other place.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that misses their old menus.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                        RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Sat, 11/4/06 5:28 PM (permalink)
                        It's a shame that KFC stopped carrying their nuggets,I used to enjoy them,I remember you could get a box of 20 for about $4.00,maybe if enough people right to them KFC might bring them back.

Big Sausage

• Total Posts: 137
                          RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Sat, 11/4/06 6:13 PM (permalink)
                          If it weren't for the lack of good takeout chicken KFC would have folded long time ago, The Coronal would roll over in his grave if he could see what happened to the quality of his franchise. I still remember when they use to make a darn good meal, now it's just tasteless crap.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                            RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Sat, 11/4/06 7:34 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Big Sausage

If it weren't for the lack of good takeout chicken KFC would have folded long time ago, The Coronal would roll over in his grave if he could see what happened to the quality of his franchise. I still remember when they use to make a darn good meal, now it's just tasteless crap.

Are you saying that KFC has "good takeout chicken"

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                              RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Sat, 11/4/06 8:28 PM (permalink)
                              I interpreted that to mean BECAUSE there is no other good take out chicken,KFC has to suffice....

DamnTheCowboys

• Total Posts: 69
                                RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Wed, 11/8/06 11:00 PM (permalink)
                                Don't remember the chicken nuggets, but hey...

KFC offers boneless wings for $2.99, six piece. Get the honey bbq and dunk in ranch. You'll forget the nuggets ever existed.

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
                                  RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Thu, 11/9/06 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                  I knew I hadn't been to KFC in quite awhile. There are just too many exciting non-franchise places around that I would rather try. Even when I do slink into a franchise it obviously isn't KFC. You see, until reading this post - I didn't know that they had dropped the nuggets. When I did go to KFC, I usually ordered the nuggets too.

Sundancer7

RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Thu, 11/9/06 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                    In my opinion chicken nuggets should be served fresh and ho0t. A lot of places loet them sit for a while and they get cool and hard an seem to lose taste.

When I buy nuggets any place, I always ask them to drop them for me and get them hot and fresh.

Perhaps that is why KFC stopped selling them as they tend to let things sit around for a while.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

caver

• Total Posts: 104
                                      RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Fri, 11/17/06 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                      KFC has gone through a number of disturbing menu choices. The one that finally put me off it entirely was what I believe they called the 'rotisserie' chicken. It looked like it was just some chicken with some spices, but in fact had this sticky, nasty coating on it that tasted like something I didn't want anywhere near my mouth.

Leave it to a big company to screw up a good thing. I can't believe they stay in business.

Now it's Popeyes, Mrs. Winners, or Princes.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                        RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Fri, 11/17/06 7:00 PM (permalink)
                                        Good God. People still patronize KFC????

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
                                          RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Sat, 12/2/06 9:44 AM (permalink)
                                          the kentucky nuggets were very good, so good that sauce wasn't required to make them edible (as is required for mcnuggets...) and they weren't as greasy. tasted like original-recipe kfc chicken, unlike the current greasy strips that have little flavor... i wasn't crazy about the chicken littles because here in seattle, they insisted on putting pickles on them..

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4480
                                            RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Sat, 12/2/06 1:19 PM (permalink)
                                            This thread should be moved to the FFF forum

I95FastFoodJunkie

• Total Posts: 9
                                              RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Mon, 12/18/06 6:18 AM (permalink)
                                              I have travelled up and down the east coast the last few years for work and I've only found ONE KFC that still has Kentucky Nuggets, and yes they do taste different than the chicken strips that every other KFC has. The difference is very simple, they seem to be made from Colonel Sanders' Original Recipe and taste very much like it, and a little less greasy. KFC's chicken strips (that every other KFC has) are more like the newer Extra Crispy chicken (which I don't even believe is a Colonel Sanders recipe either). And no, Kentucky Nuggets are not (nor were they ever) all white meat chicken. They appear to be a mix of white and dark meat, but much better/leaner than the original gristly McDonalds McNuggets and still tastier and spicier than McDonald's new McNuggets today. And they have a LOT more taste than KFC's bland Crispy Strips. I can't figure out for the life of me why KFC discontinued Kentucky Nuggets nation-wide in favor of the strips. The company seems to just make 1 bad decision after another.

So if you miss KFC's Kentucky Nuggets and are ever travelling up or down I-95 on the U.S. east coast, believe it or not, you can find them about a couple miles from the I-95/I-695 exit just east of Baltimore in Essex, Maryland. It's the only KFC I've found that STILL has the Original Recipe Kentucky Nuggets! And since they don't get promoted by KFC anymore, they are almost always made to order in 6, 9, & 20 piece orders, so you have to have exactly 9 minutes to spare (that's what they always say), but it's worth it. They are exactly the same as they were 10 years ago. I kid you not. The 11 Original herbs and spices don't lie.

By the way, I hate KFC's potato wedges & wings. KFC's original french fries were much better, but the problem with them was that if they weren't fresh, they were just awful. The potato wedges seem to have a better shelf life. I guess that's why they switched. What a shame. And don't even get me started on those discustingly aweful boneless gelatinous candied imitation honey/barbecue winga-ma-things. I don't want to have to barf in public. If you have to dunk the chicken in that much sugary goo, why not just go all the way and dip them in chocolate or caramel next time? Just discusting. What were they thinking???
                                              And while I'm on a rant, did you know that KFC's new "Bowls" are "famous"??? Famous for what I have no clue. Poor Colonel Sanders must be turning over in his grave. KFC has really gone down hill.

fourscoreandtwenty

• Total Posts: 1
                                                RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Tue, 07/17/07 3:36 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by I95FastFoodJunkie

I have travelled up and down the east coast the last few years for work and I've only found ONE KFC that still has Kentucky Nuggets, and yes they do taste different than the chicken strips that every other KFC has. The difference is very simple, they seem to be made from Colonel Sanders' Original Recipe and taste very much like it, and a little less greasy. KFC's chicken strips (that every other KFC has) are more like the newer Extra Crispy chicken (which I don't even believe is a Colonel Sanders recipe either).

A note from the distant future. Hope you guys are still listening.

This is primarily what I wanted to comment on. In Australia, Kentucky Nuggets are still on the menu. They did try to remove them a few years ago (we were a bit slow on adopting the strips, you see,) but failed. I don't know if they are exactly your Nuggets, as they are primarily white meat, but they are seasoned in the way you suggest. They certainly are the same recipe as those I fondly remember from the 1980s (also in Australia.)

You also mention fries versus wedges/wings. Wings are a "limited time only" item in Australia, and I have never seen wedges. We have chips, which are likely to be similar to your fries. These are seasoned, and in general much better than the shoestring fries available at other outlets in Australia (Hungry Jacks nee Burger King and McDonald's.)

So if you want to relive your childhood, I'd suggets a visit to Australia. You'll have to leave the road at some point though, which I guess puts this post off-topic.

(The e-mail works, but I am not really residing in Washington and my name isn't Abraham. I'm from the land down under.)

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                                  RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Tue, 07/17/07 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Adjudicator

Good God. People still patronize KFC????

Yes we do. I picked up KFC the other night for a family of 5. I got 10 pieces of extra-crispy chicken, 2 large sides of mashed potatoes and gray, 1 large side of slaw, 6 biscuits, and a gallon of tea for under $21 (which included tax). And it was all eaten - only the chicken bones were left. Our KFC near where I lives is very good. The grandkids love it. If I'm not ordering the fried chicken we get the barbequed chicken wings (not boneless) which are also very good.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                    • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Fri, 07/20/07 9:15 PM (permalink)

ADMISSION OF GUILT

Yes, I too like KFC

We have them "cater" some of our family get togethers, 60 pcs chix, 1 gallon potatoes, 1 gallon mac & cheese, 1/2 gal, bbq beans, 1/2 gal green beans, 2 large gizzards, 2 large cole slaw, 25 biscuits, 25 corn bread muffins, 2 family size popcorn chicken all for $120.

Usually feeds 35-50 people, no cooking involved, very little clean up.

I am also addicted to the Honey BBQ wings (with bones) I ate......(let's just say too many the other night, my sugar level was 325)

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                                      RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Fri, 07/20/07 9:34 PM (permalink)
                                                      Doesn't KFC have popcorn chicken and boneless wings? I guess they figure that is close to a nugget.

Quartz

• Total Posts: 153
                                                        RE: Whatever happened to KFC's chicken nuggets? Sun, 08/19/07 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                        The Colonel may have been just as corrupt though. I heard the claim that he will never eat that Chicken in this life and he wants to watch other people wat it and die.

And NO KFC location uses the 11 Different Herbs and spices, just bits and spices of it from two completely Confidential Seasoning Companies, along with Salt, Black Pepper and MSG.

It's somewhere in a well-concealed vault at the headquarters in Chicago (the Hard Copy List of Ingredients written by the Colonel himself).

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com