What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 17
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/10 12:50:19 (permalink)
Lol Ellen. I was thinking about you when I wrote the "bit boss" thing. Kinda like an old Mearl Haggard song, "thers two kinds of babies to hold".

V960, your uncle must be a poker player. Hard to make a living gambling in LV any other way. AS far as leaving TN, hey, if your a gambler, you gota go where the action is.

Oh, a good freind of mine moved to LV back in the 80s. He made me bring him BBQ from Dallas. There was no Texas style BBQ in LV at the time. I hear there might be now.
Joe
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13510
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/10 13:06:42 (permalink)
For me, in this order"

1: Dreamland in Huntsville, Birmingham and Mobile
2: Kreuz in Texas with Bushie
3: Hays in Lexington, TN
4: Moonlite in Owensboro with "The Mayors" entourage.

I am sure there are many more that are very good. I have been to many BBQ places that were OK, some were close to terrible but the list above is my favorite.

Another thing that amazes me is how many definitions of BBQ there is. I even have a few of my own. Some places merely cook meat of some sort, then put sauce over it and call it BBQ? Go figure??? Definition varies quite a bit from region to region. Even experts have different opinions.

I have wondered many times about how the definition varies from pit to smoking? Dreamland does pit. They use wood in a pit and their ribs cook in slightly more than a hour and smoking, which Hays does very well usually takes many hours. Hays reported to our group that he usually smokes with hickory for about 18-22 hours. He has to baby sit with the product.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/10 13:27:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

Here you go WVH, straight from Google.

Choo-Choo BBQ, I-95 Exit 5, Dover Bluff Rd., Brunswick, Georgia. It is truly beyond good, it is an excellent sandwich. Simple location, a BBQ house, a gift and Georgia peanut shop and a Shell gas station.

John

Nice job John A. You've solved the mystery. Thanks dude!
And yes, excellent basic bbq, pork or beef if I recall correctly. Been there at least twice, but missed on my last couple trips south.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/10 13:27:42 (permalink)
We started shoulders last night at about nine and they won't get wrapped in foil to rest until four this afternoon. LOW and SLOW.
SWOhioGuy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/10 14:36:36 (permalink)
Cooper's, Llano, TX.

Amazing. BBQ ambrosia.

http://www.coopersbbq.com/tour.asp

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/image/35111

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-11-09/food_set3.html

Of course, there's a lot of amazing BBQ in the Texas Hill Country:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-11-09/food_set10.html
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/10 17:41:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WVHillbilly

quote:
Originally posted by John A

Here you go WVH, straight from Google.

Choo-Choo BBQ, I-95 Exit 5, Dover Bluff Rd., Brunswick, Georgia. It is truly beyond good, it is an excellent sandwich. Simple location, a BBQ house, a gift and Georgia peanut shop and a Shell gas station.

John

Nice job John A. You've solved the mystery. Thanks dude!
And yes, excellent basic bbq, pork or beef if I recall correctly. Been there at least twice, but missed on my last couple trips south.

Your welcome. I remember a street sign in Brunswick about 5-6 high that said "In the event of a hurricane the water will come up to here", or something to that effect. Neat older town.

John
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/10 22:11:41 (permalink)
Oops! Almost forgot to put C&K BBQ in Kansas City in there too! My wife nearly slapped me when she found out that I forgot to include one of her favorites!
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/10 22:40:05 (permalink)
You need to fill me in , I live in KC and have never heard of C&K BBQ. Where the heck is it, I'm ready to go.....
tabazco99
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/11 16:03:02 (permalink)
Crap, I really dislike you guys. I just read everyone's response and so many joints I have visited and it made me hungry. Damn you guys all to heck!

Cooper's in Llano
Black's in Lockhart (hurry if you guys want some good stuff, because Edgar says he will retire soon and pass it on to his CPA son)
LC's in KC (better than Arthur's but not by much)
Arthur Bryant's in KC
Whole Cafe in Little Rock (the pulled pork has a very nice taste to it)
South Side and Meyer's in Elgin for the sausage.
myway
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 310
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/11 17:57:58 (permalink)
Hi,

Boy thats a hard one to answer. I have always been a fan of the Goode Company in Houston, Tx., they have spectacular Brisket. But there are a few of the mobile places that are really stepping it up a notch. I wish I could try them all.
KBminihorse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/11 18:51:21 (permalink)
Just got back from a Bar B Que road trip. Jack Stack in KC was excellent! Their menu said they were #1 rated in America. The beans have shreads of bbq meat in them, and are a meal in themself. Really great all around. Sonny Bryants in Dallas is very good too. Liked it better than Angelo's BBQ in Ft. Worth. Thought the GA Pig was average, not spectacuar. The same can be said of the Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC. (been there since 1830, so they must be doing something right, just didn't seem outstanding). Interstate BBQ on 3rd st. in Memphis was outstanding. Really liked that one. Going to try Kreuz in TX in Sept. Lot of people seemed to like that one in this forum.
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/11 21:12:13 (permalink)
Salih's, later Solly's in Dallas, and no longer open SFAIK, was the best, period.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/12 00:05:39 (permalink)
I love Mr. Bones on Anna Maria Island in Florida. It has a quaint and made for BBQ atmosphere and the BBQ is excellent. If you ever go to Long Boat Key or Sarasota it's a must stop, just like the Anna Maria City Pier.

Andrea

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4253
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/12 11:44:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemaxx

Oops! Almost forgot to put C&K BBQ in Kansas City in there too! My wife nearly slapped me when she found out that I forgot to include one of her favorites!
I thought C&K was in St. Louis. My wife is originally from KC; been back to visit about a hundred times; eaten in almost every 'Que joint there is, and we ain't never heard of C&K BBQ in KC. I have heard of C&K BBQ in St. Louis. Are you thinking of C&K BBQ in St. Louis?

Enlightenment please.

Buddy
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1093
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/12 14:55:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

I'm not nearly as well traveled as a lot of people on this board but for me it is definitely Wilber's in Goldsboro, NC. And I will be eating there again in 22 days.

Check out this link for the reason why Wilber's is so good. Now that is a smokehouse!

http://hkentcraig.com/BBQ48.html
GB944
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/12 15:13:16 (permalink)
quote:
It is actually MUCH worse than it appears. The floors sway and tthe porch is a death trap if you get off the plywood.

This reminds me of my favorite customer quote about BBQ (from the menu at Red, Hot and Blue, before it became a chain):

"This is the best BBQ I ever had in a building that wasn't condemned."

That said, the best I ever had was at Louie Muellers in Taylor, Texas, while on a lunch break from my employer in Austin. I seem to recall that it was worth a 120 mile round trip and a three hour lunch.

Kiowa1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/12 15:16:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

InTexas:
No. 1- Bakers Ribs, Dallas. (Greenville Ave location.)
No. 2- Louis Mueller, Taylor, Texas.

I agree to Baker's Ribs... best ribs and brisket... long necks, too...
I like the Commerce Street location...
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/12 15:19:53 (permalink)
Wilber's has another draw not related to food. Seymour Johnson AFB is home to the 4th Fighter Wing flying F-15's and is right across the street from Wilber's. Get your q sandwich to go, sit on the back of your car and watch your tax dollars at work.

Wilber's also has great q.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/12 18:12:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

Wilber's has another draw not related to food. Seymour Johnson AFB is home to the 4th Fighter Wing flying F-15's and is right across the street from Wilber's. Get your q sandwich to go, sit on the back of your car and watch your tax dollars at work.

Wilber's also has great q.

Yes sir, and if people complain about the noise just tell em that's the sound of freedom.

John
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/13 11:59:48 (permalink)
Greenbrier's (the old one), not the one you can see off the interstate spur on I-565 near Huntsville, AL. I am a big fan of their white sauce and Big Bob Gibson's, Decatur, AL.
We have a Dreamland here, but I am not crazy about it like some people are. I guess because I grew up eating Greenbrier's and Big Bob's. Did eat at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa and it was pretty good, but haven't had the same luck here in Huntsville.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/14 09:46:48 (permalink)
Best "Q" I've had? Can't say I haven't had them all yet. Another item to add to the list of things I must do before cashing in the chips. The list just keeps growing. Chow Jim
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/14 22:47:47 (permalink)
When I'm presented with a question like this, I always have to wax nostalgic, so here goes:

My first favorite real bbq was at Arthur Bryant's in KC. This would have been mid-70's. I had loved the pork ribs at Crosstown and the hot links at Big Joe's Snack Shack in Springfield, MO, but Bryant's was heaven. I haven't been back there in over 4 years, but I loved it still the last time I was there.

In the early 80's, Louie Mueller's in Taylor, TX was my nirvana. That was when Fred Fontaine was the pitmaster. Best brisket and "gravy" available then. It will never again be like it was.

Also in the 80's, the Southside in Elgin, TX had tremendous sausage and mutton, at the original location downtown.

Kreuz in Lockhart became my favorite for central TX bbq many moons ago. To this day, it's the one I recommend above all others. Their sausage and beef shoulder clod are unsurpassed, as far as I'm concerned. Although I will not argue with anyone who thinks that Luling City Market is the best (the one in Luling, not Houston), I still go with Kreuz.

As for pulled-pork, Hay's Smokehouse in Lexington, TN (whole-hog pork) is the finest place in the country by far.

P.S. - Had to come back and mention the best sausage I've ever eaten. Charlie's in Smithville, TX (some folks called this place Charles) made their own sausage with a combo of beef and pork. Also made their own sauce, and the experience was unlike anything I've ever had, sausage-wise.

I learned of this place after reading a review by Michael Stern sometime in 2002. I went there as much as I could (about 120 miles round-trip for me) until Charles died in early 2003, when they closed.
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/14 22:58:49 (permalink)
The Best B.B.Q. I ever had was in Colorado Springs. I don't rember the name but I remember where it's at. Sawatch St. one block south of Colorado Blvd. Great ribs! Worth walking in 10 degree weather for just a sniff of thier pit smoked Pork Butt! The veggies were the best also. Does anyone rember the name of that place?
rjb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/14 23:17:44 (permalink)
Whole Hog Productions, Bronxville NY
jzwagar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/15 00:47:20 (permalink)
Best ever...driving between Shepherd and Huntsville, Texas. Cold, rainy, 3o'clock in the afternoon, missed lunch, promised myself I'd eat at the next purveyor of anything edible-no exceptions! Around the next curve was a homemade sign reading "Mississippi Hillbilly BBQ & Flea Market". The "restaurant" was an old, tiny travel trailer with a walk-up window and the kitchen was outside directly behind the trailer. There were a couple of long "picnic shelters" with table after table loaded with used car parts, tires, and miscellaneous bric-a-brac. I ordered a pulled pork sandwich, a bag of chips, and a Coke (in a returnable glass bottle!). I returned to my car to eat and was treated to the very best BBQ I'd ever sunk my teeth into. When I finished eating, I walked back up to the trailer to return my Coke bottle and told the woman in the trailer I'd never had better. She told me the secret was half hickory and half pecan wood for smoking. Works for me...to this day I regret not getting a slab of spares to go!

Jon
LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/23 07:34:28 (permalink)
just posted on where should I eat...last night Mo's BBQ in Troy, NY...right now is our local BBQ Nirvana.....great ribs, chicken..can't swear by the pork as they were sold out...only thing that we didn't care for was the baked beans...which were so sweet..I said you could top vanilla ice cream with it....and it's byob, if you want something other than water or a canned soft drink. Best bets...ribs, chicken..onion rings and sweet potato fries

douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/23 07:52:14 (permalink)
lexington #1
caratzas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/23 09:51:13 (permalink)
It's like asking a mother to pick her favorite child but my best rib experience so far has been at the ninth and only BBQ wonder of the world, Curtis BBQ in Putney Vermont. I usually don't like BBQ ribs, but there's something about the way he makes them...
Swage
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/23 17:50:41 (permalink)
My favorite BBQ places, not necessarily in this order:

Paynes--(Shoulder (chopped brown) Memphis
Sam's---Brisket, Austin
Black's--(Brisket),Lockart Tx
Southside Market, (hot guts aka sausage) Elgin Tx
Cozy Corner--(Cornish Game Hen) Memphis
Allen & Son Barbecue-- (shoulder)Chapel Hill
B's Barbecue--- ( ribs from ths slow cooked whole hog) Greenville
The Skylight Inn (chopped shoulder) Ayden N.C

Now I'm hungry Again, Swage
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: What's The Best BBQ You Ever Had? 2006/06/25 19:40:36 (permalink)
Hard to say since I have had a lot of great Q over the years.

Although it was a long time ago, and I was just a kid, I had some great BBQ from roadside stands on Hwy 75 between Houston and Dallas (pre I-45). Every October we would go to the Huntsville Prison Rodeo, and along the highway into Huntsville there were numerous individuals selling homemade BBQ.

I don't know if it was the entire experience of the trip From Houston, or the fact that I wasn't exactly a BBQ connoisseur. But I do remember looking forward to eating at these places.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1