What's Your Favorite Italian Beef Recipe?

Author
arelabs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2007/01/14 14:09:44 (permalink)

What's Your Favorite Italian Beef Recipe?

Since Super Bowl is coming up and Italian Beef Sandwich recipes are very popular, I think this would be a good time to get other's tried and true recipes. The Stern recipe from the Tribune is a good start. I have this in my Crock Pot right now. I didn't have a rolled roast in the freezer, so I'm using about 4 1/2 lbs of boneless pot roasts I had. I used a couple of carrots, celery stalks and onion to flavor the juice, as for stock. This does add to the flavor. I set the roasts on top of the vegetables. It's seasoned with 6 cloves of garlic, oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Normally, I use a Boston Roast, which is a rolled chuck roast. This is sometimes called a Cross-Rib Roast. It's very flavorful and works well for this type of recipe.

Once it's cooked, I use the following to zip up the juices:

5 cups broth (either homemade stock or canned, such as Swansons)
1 Tablespoon oregano
Garlic powder, to taste (if needed)
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste (I use part celery salt)
3-4 Tablespoons oil from gardiniera, preferrably Scala's
Degreased pan juices (or 1-2 cups liquid from cooking)
Simmer approximately 30 minutes. Adust seasonings. Strain.

DH is a retired police officer, and some years ago, he claims he learned that Al's adds gardiniera oil to their juice. I don't know if that's true, but ever since I started doing it, the flavor is more authentic.

I don't like the taste that bouillon cubes add to the juice, so I prefer stock or broth.

Italian Beef (Stern recipe)

6 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
1 boneless chuck roast, about 3-4 pounds
1 cup water
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon each: crushed red pepper flakes*, dried oregano, salt, coarsely ground pepper
8 hero rolls or 4 lengths of Italian bread
Drained roasted peppers or giardiniera (spicy pickled vegetables), optional

*I use less during cooking

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Use a small knife to insert the garlic slivers into the roast all over. Put the water in a deep baking pan not much larger than the roast. Add the roast; top the roast with the seasonings.

Cover tightly with foil; bake, basting occasionally, adding water if necessary, until meat is fork-tender and browned, about 2 hours, 30 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan; let stand 15-20 minutes. slice into razor-thin pieces; set aside.

Meanwhile, degrease the pan; taste pan juices and adjust seasoning. (It should be highly seasoned with a peppery bite.) Place the sliced beef in the juices; set aside 15-20 minutes. Serve on the rolls with peppers or giardiniera.

3 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Beef Recipe? 2007/01/14 22:25:56 (permalink)
    Just a comment on Italian Beef: (I've got a beef)...I was born in Brooklyn, NY and grew up in a (mixed) Italian family, in a semi-Italian neighborhood, and I never heard of Italian beef until a few years ago. We have tons of Italians in NY and they never made the dish (or labled it as such), I think its a West-of-the-Hudson tradition, even if the cooks all came from Italy.....
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4317
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Beef Recipe? 2007/01/14 23:00:40 (permalink)
    NYNM, Italian Beef is a Chicagocentric sandwich. I don't know a lot about the origins, but I have heard one version that sounds fairly plausible. Forgive my clumsy telling of the tale:

It started back in the early part of the 20th century when large waves of Italian immigrants were coming to America. Most of these newcomers were working class folks striving just to make a living.

Whenever there was a special occasion; a wedding, a christening, etc. the whole neighborhood would be invited for a celebration. In order to feed the masses economically, they would roast up huge hunks of beef and then slice it razor thin, soak it in the signature au jus that turns regular roast beef into Italian Beef, and serve it on crusty rolls. The au jus would soak into the bread "extending" the beef flavor, making it seem like you were getting more meat than you actually were.

Today's Italian Beef sandwiches are huge mounds of shaved beef soaked in gravy and topped with either sweet or hot peppers.

There are a few Italian Beef stands in other parts of the country where you will also find large numbers of ex-pat Chicagoans hungry for same along with Chicago Style Hot Dogs and Deep Dish Pizza.

Buddy
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Beef Recipe? 2007/01/15 12:55:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

NYNM, Italian Beef is a Chicagocentric sandwich. I don't know a lot about the origins, but I have heard one version that sounds fairly plausible. Forgive my clumsy telling of the tale:

Buddy

Buddy: Thanks for the background, which I never knew. I guess us East Coast EyeTalians had differrent weddings.....(I just think of those candy almonds wrapped up in mesh...)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1