What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ???

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Jayla
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
2005/04/08 04:35:27 (permalink)

What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ???

What's You absolute Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? Mines would have to be....I just can't choose

79 Replies Related Threads

Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 06:02:35 (permalink)
    Here's two of my all-time favorites:

Penne with Sausage, Peas, and Mascarpone

3/4 lb hot italian sausages, casings removed
    3/4 lb sweet italian sausages, casings removed
    1 c. onion, chopped
    1 1/4 c. whipping cream
    3/4 c. chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
    1 lb penne
    2 c. frozen peas
    2/3 c. mascarpone cheese
    3/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper

Sauté sausage in Dutch oven over high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 12 min. Transfer to bowl with slotted spoon, set aside. Pour off all but 1 Tb drippings, add onion and saut‚ until light brown, about 6 min. Add cream, boil 6 min. Add broth, boil until reduced to sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 8 min. Return sausage to pot. Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite. Meanwhile, bring sauce to simmer over med. heat, add peas and mascarpone and simmer until peas are tender, about 6 min. Drain pasta, add to sauce and toss to coat. Mix in parmesan, season with salt and pepper, transfer to large bowl and serve. 6 servings.

Spaghetti Puttanesca

2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
    10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 28 oz tin plum tomatoes, roughly chopped, w/ juices
    12 oz dry packaged spaghetti, pref. DeCecco
    ½ c. + 2 Tb chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
    10-14 calamata olives, pitted & roughly chopped, to taste
    2 Tb capers, to taste
    ½ tsp sugar
    ½ tsp crushed red pepper. to taste
    a few anchovies, sliced finely (optional)
    grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

In a large heavy skillet heat the oil over med-high heat, add garlic & sauté until it begins to colour. Add tomatoes w/ juices, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-30 min., stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly. While the sauce reduces, begin heating water for the pasta in a large pot. Begin cooking spaghetti according to package instructions. While spaghetti is cooking, add ½ c. parsley and rest of ingredients except cheese, stir and heat thoroughly. Cook spaghetti al dente, drain and shake vigorously and tip into a large heated serving dish. Spoon half the sauce over pasta, sprinkle w/ remaining parsley and toss well. Serve remaining sauce and cheese alongside.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 11:25:02 (permalink)
    Spaghettini with a sauce of olive oil, anchovies, crushed pepper and capers! I absolutely LOVE the stuff!!! Wonderful with a good italian roast chicken or veal picante! I may just have to do this for dinner tonight!!! With fried eggplant!!!
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 11:39:12 (permalink)
    I though I had a favorite but when I stopped to think it over I realized - IT'S ALL GOOD! If had HAD to pick just 1 it would be spaghetti and meatballs for the comfort factor.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 12:30:12 (permalink)
    I'll be eating with Rhodes. My Italian staple is Spaghetti with Putanesca sauce and I make it almost the same way. His (her?) other recipe sounds great too, but I love asparagus and usually make something very similar but using asparagus instead of peas and chopped prosciutto instead of sausage.

Hey R? When's dinner?

PS: IMHO DeCecco pasta is absolutely the best. I've tried all the others and, by contrast, they seem mushy (I've tried varying the cooking times)--I love the "al dente" bite of DeCecco. The one problem I've had with it, and this has been the case with some lots I've bought from various suppliers including over the internet, is BUGS--little Italian grain weevils. You can see them in the strands of pasta if you look carefully through the celophane on the box. Because of this, I keep my pasta out in the garage or otherwise away from my other grain-based foods, just in case.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 12:50:38 (permalink)
    I gotta agree with both of you non the DeCecco---thankfully i have Lovera's Market down the road in Krebs! It's the best dry pasta on the market. Second only to fresh made.
    Also i must add that when it comes to red sauce- My Noni's recipe stared with a Boston Butt and cooked LONG to a deep rich burgandy in which she would simmer pan browned sausages and meatballs in for about 3 hrs. She would remove all the meat to a serving bowl--including the pork which by now was SO tender and falling apart--"Italian Pulled pork" so to speak The sauce was of course served with all kinds of pasta but my alltime time favorite vehicle for it was Homemade Potato Gnocci!

BTW Rhodes---thanks for the recipes---they both look good! I pulled them into a recipe fill i have that allows me a Roadfood gathered" cookbook. Your tucked nin there with Bushie's Beans!
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 13:53:30 (permalink)
    Remember when Consumer Reports used to list bug parts and rodent hairs in their food ratings. I always thought that was neat though gruesome. Don't know why they stopped--maybe some were offended. I hope it wasn't that the companies persuaded them, as they're supposed to be unbiased.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 13:55:50 (permalink)
    Back to the topic, my favorite is homemade spaghetti with meat sauce, or else lasagna made with meat sauce and bechamel sauce.
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 14:22:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Hey R? When's dinner?

PS: IMHO DeCecco pasta is absolutely the best. I've tried all the others and, by contrast, they seem mushy (I've tried varying the cooking times)--I love the "al dente" bite of DeCecco. The one problem I've had with it, and this has been the case with some lots I've bought from various suppliers including over the internet, is BUGS--little Italian grain weevils. You can see them in the strands of pasta if you look carefully through the celophane on the box. Because of this, I keep my pasta out in the garage or otherwise away from my other grain-based foods, just in case.

Dinner's on about 6:30 pm local time Tonight it's Trader Joe's frozen seafood mix with garlic, white wine, parsley and De Cecco Cappellini , polenta for SO who has a tragic wheat intolerance " /> I remember an unfortunate childhood episode when we discovered we had weevils as my Mom boiled up a big pot of spaghetti and multiple tiny black floaters came up to the surface
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 14:26:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

I gotta agree with both of you non the DeCecco---thankfully i have Lovera's Market down the road in Krebs! It's the best dry pasta on the market. Second only to fresh made.
    Also i must add that when it comes to red sauce- My Noni's recipe stared with a Boston Butt and cooked LONG to a deep rich burgandy in which she would simmer pan browned sausages and meatballs in for about 3 hrs. She would remove all the meat to a serving bowl--including the pork which by now was SO tender and falling apart--"Italian Pulled pork" so to speak The sauce was of course served with all kinds of pasta but my alltime time favorite vehicle for it was Homemade Potato Gnocci!

BTW Rhodes---thanks for the recipes---they both look good! I pulled them into a recipe fill i have that allows me a Roadfood gathered" cookbook. Your tucked nin there with Bushie's Beans!

Thanks Dude, I'm honored! The Penne recipe is truly decadent, generally a once-in-a-long-while indulgence but oh so worth it. The Puttanesca is much more on the order of a weekday dinner type thing. Your red sauce description makes me wish I had an Italian Noni....
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 17:52:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes

I remember an unfortunate childhood episode when we discovered we had weevils as my Mom boiled up a big pot of spaghetti and multiple tiny black floaters came up to the surface

This has happend to me more than once with DeCecco spaghetti. Since, as I said, you can pretty much see them in the strands when they are there and since, after CAREFUL examination I decided they had pretty much all floated to the top, I went ahead with dinner as planned after skimming away all the black bits. I figured any that might still be present were well cooked and improved the protein/carb ratio of the meal.
    sweetgherkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/08 23:16:52 (permalink)
    Linguine aglio e olio, please. My favorite version yet was at a (now departed) mostly coffee house sort of place that also had an Italian menu. In their version of this they used garlic slices instead of chopped, and topped it with toasted garlicky bread crumbs. Absolutely perfect, and even though it is so simple, I can't make it taste the same at home, or maybe that is just my memory playing tricks on me.
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/09 14:45:27 (permalink)
    Oh, Lord, that would be like choosing between my children (if I had any, which I don't). I like ANY kind of pasta and sauce. My cousin claims that my eyes light up anytime someone so much as mentions Italian food!
    AndreaB
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/10 10:05:53 (permalink)
    I like a simple spaghetti with a marinara sauce with lots of garlic and basil. To me, that's the test of a restaurant --- if they can't get that right everything else is likely to be "not so good".
    At home, I love making lasagna packed w/ spicy sausage, ricotta and mozzarella cheese, and a zesty tomato sauce with plenty of garlic, oregano, and basil. Yum!

Andrea
    Chef Susan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/10 21:59:59 (permalink)
    Aglio e Olio - garlic and olive oil with Spaghetti.

Cook the pasta in 1 gallon water to 1# of pasta (yes, I use DeCecco...no, have NEVER encountered bugs)

About 30 seconds before the pasta is done,
    take a small, cold saute pan. For one serving, pour in about
    2 T. olive oil
    1-2 cloves of garlic - sliced
    1/8-1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Turn on the heat, and let the garlic sizzle, turn white...then SLIGHTLY brown around the edges, then add:
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    2 T. freshly chopped parsley

Drain the pasta, toss in the pan with the olive oil mix, plate up and sprinkle with parm.

YUM!!!

forurlungsonly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/10 22:46:51 (permalink)
    I'll eat just about any pasta gladly if it's not covered in tomato (spaghetti, marinara, whatever you'd like to call it) sauce. Yuck! As a child I wouldn't touch the stuff and to this day I don't much like it. I'll eat it now, but it's never my first choice.

One of my favorite ways is to simply mix Italian sausage, garlic, and spinach with hot penne. No sauce needed.
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/11 00:30:00 (permalink)
    There is no way that I can name a favorite Italian Pasta Dish, they are all good. The two recipes that Rhodes posted sure sound good. I have a couple recipes that we use a lot, that are close to these. We will try these for sure. We love the sausages from Lovera's Market n Krebs, Oklahoma. We have found that Crest Market in Midwest City carries this item. Thank the good lord for this as I have got so old that I can't make the trip to Krebs like I use to.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7016
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/11 03:35:31 (permalink)
    My mother is Italian. We go to Italy to see the relatives. We do not eat spaghetti. We do not eat lasagne. We do not eat any pasta that was bought in a groceria.
    The women (me included) all get together and make gnocchi, tortelloni, tortellini, ravioletti, fusilli, linguine, ect. I do not like commercially-made pasta. It's much better made fresh and dried at home.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/11 11:21:08 (permalink)
    Must admit to being a traditionalist with pasta dishes - greatly prefer old Neopalitan-style red sauces above all. Nothing like ribs or pork roast cooked forever into red Italian "Gravy" with fresh pasta. If I use dried, I prefer Barilla.

But I just say NO to the ubiquitous Alfredos that are standard at nearly all restaurants these days.
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/11 11:30:33 (permalink)
    Orecchiette with broccoli rabe braised with garlic and anchovies, finished with parmesan... I like to add a can of chickpeas for extra protein.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/11 13:20:44 (permalink)
    Carbonarra, I could eat it every day. That along with Beef-a-Roni of course.

BB
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/11 16:57:52 (permalink)
    Chicken piccata with linguini is by far our MOST favorite!! YUM!!
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/11 17:19:55 (permalink)
    One of my favorite comfort foods is noodles with butter and salt. Very soothing.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/13 00:31:28 (permalink)
    any pasta shape( preferably with out bugs) cooked al dente and finished in a saute pan of garlic, anchovies, redpepper flakes, chickpeas ans sliced stuffed manzanilla olives, sauteed in olive oil ( enough to coat the pasta) its sooooooooooooooo good. whenever i make it people eat it all up, even folks who "don't like" anchovies.

p.s. ooops, i don't know if it's Italian or not, however... I doubt it.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/13 00:34:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sugarlander

One of my favorite comfort foods is noodles with butter and salt. Very soothing.

i love that ALOT too. and white rice with butter and salt. two of the most comforting comfort foods.... mmmmmmm
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/13 07:52:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hefried

any pasta shape( preferably with out bugs) cooked al dente and finished in a saute pan of garlic, anchovies, redpepper flakes, chickpeas ans sliced stuffed manzanilla olives, sauteed in olive oil ( enough to coat the pasta) its sooooooooooooooo good. whenever i make it people eat it all up, even folks who "don't like" anchovies.

p.s. ooops, i don't know if it's Italian or not, however... I doubt it.

Sounds Italian to me!!
    readjl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/29 02:27:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

My mother is Italian. We go to Italy to see the relatives. We do not eat spaghetti. We do not eat lasagne. We do not eat any pasta that was bought in a groceria.
    The women (me included) all get together and make gnocchi, tortelloni, tortellini, ravioletti, fusilli, linguine, ect. I do not like commercially-made pasta. It's much better made fresh and dried at home.

You cannot eat an oil-based sauce with fresh pasta because it soaks it all up. Certain dishes like Linguini with clams, aglio e olio don't go so well with fresh pasta. Plus, if you're doing it by hand you'll need eggs (uovo) and some Italians don't like pasta con uovo (Neapolitans) and prefer dried pasta.

txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/29 16:59:54 (permalink)
    Hmmmm. I've got to go with baked manicotti, I think. Well.. or rigatoni, or... Basically if it's got a good marinara or meat sauce and melted cheese, I'm happy.
    bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 320
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/29 17:10:48 (permalink)
    As far as brand names, I prefer Ronzoni.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: What's Your Favorite Italian Pasta Dish ??? 2005/04/29 18:02:37 (permalink)
    Favorite Italian Comfort Food: Spaghetti and Meatballs (childhood memories, my mother's meatballs which I can't for the life of me duplicate)

Favorite Italian Food I Make Myself: Vegetable Lasagna - Time consuming, but sooooo worth it.

Favorite Restaurant Italian Food: I have always loved chicken marsala, but a couple of weeks ago my husband and I went to a little Italian place close to our house and I tried Veal Francaise (probably not spelled right). Oh, it was good. Very lemony, which meant it was very sour, but in a good way. I think that's a new favorite.

Does Ceasar Salad count? I know it's not really Italian food, but it's often served in Italian restaurants. SO if it does count, that's a favorite too. (My homemade being the best). If it doesn't count, then please accept a sincere apology from a naive Irish girl!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1