The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA)

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 146
Michael Stern

What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 6:50 AM (permalink)
Looking over a bunch of 35mm slides from Roadfood's early days, I realized just how compelling (and how much fun) restaurant signs are. Here is one of my favorites, from Lighting's Bar-B-Q, which I believe was in Arkansas. The pitmaster made some wickedly good sauce which we took away in a Jack Daniel's bottle (the only container he had on hand; and, I believe, one of the sauce's secret ingredients). The sauce, alas, was lost when our car was tail-ended by a gravel truck, splattering a whole trip's worth of great sauces across the highway.

If you have a favorite Roadfood sign, please post it here. We would love to see it.

BTW, I recently digitized several hundred vintage Roadfood slides and will be posting them in the forums (or with restaurant reviews, if the slides are still apropos). Next up: I will supplement the Arthur Bryant's review with a shot of legendary barbecue master Arthur Bryant at work in the kitchen of what he used to call his "Grease House."

buffetbuster

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 8:29 AM (permalink)
    Michael, I think you told the story about the guy filling up a not so clean Jack Daniel's bottle in Two For The Road.  I know it is one of my favorite moments in the book.  It is great to see the photo of where that took place and what a great sign they have.  The guy tackling that pig (it is a pig, isn't it?) is absolutely priceless!  Can we assume Lighting's BBQ is long gone?

So glad that you digitalized your photos and I can't wait to see them.  I have a couple of favorite sign candidates and will look for the photos.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
      Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 8:55 AM (permalink)

buffetbuster

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 9:04 AM (permalink)
        porkbeaks-
        Leonard's was one of the first ones I thought of.  And as good as it looks during the day, it looks even better at night!

Tony Bad

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 9:39 AM (permalink)
          A few personal favorites:

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
            Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 9:46 AM (permalink)
            That last one is interesting. Must be a pretty classy place to have a couple condom dispensers next to the menu-board.

MiamiDon

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 10:10 AM (permalink)
              I bet that Coney Island sign looks great at night.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 10:29 AM (permalink)

Psssst.

That's Tony's Living Room.

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 10:40 AM (permalink)
                  Cliff, I am assuming Lighting's indeed is long gone. That was about 30 years ago. Here's another sign from that era from a BBQ we found in Front Royal, Virginia. Earl's was in the original edition of Roadfood.

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 10:41 AM (permalink)
                    One of the all-time greats, for sure!
                    porkbeaks

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 10:54 AM (permalink)
                      This has to be one of my favorites

My visit to Bruce's Bar in Severance Colorado this past summer.

Tony Bad

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 10:57 AM (permalink)
                        bill voss

Psssst.

That's Tony's Living Room.

No, we have a cigarette machine and charge for the knuckle sandwich

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                          Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 11:22 AM (permalink)
                          My favorite was a sign on an East Columbus place that is now a used tire shop. It read:
                                          GRACES TAVRN
                                       HOME COOK FOOD

And no, I did not leave out any punctuation marks or letters.
                          <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Fri, 04/9/10 11:24 AM>

Ralph Melton

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 12:01 PM (permalink)
                            I'm very fond of this one, particularly because it was a childhood favorite of Lori's on her trips to Cook Forest. Unfortunately, the food isn't quite as splendid as the sign.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                              Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 12:31 PM (permalink)
                              Maybe it's just me, but I have always been partial to this sign:

buffetbuster

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                Two classics from out West.

The bucking bronco at The Mint Bar

and the spinning, futuristic design at Maddox Ranch House.

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                  I suppose 3-D statues should be a whole other category, but my two favorite top-of-the-roof characters, Maurie and Flaurie, are Roadfood signs par excellence:

Tony Bad

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                    I love those dogs!

Here is another classy sign...and no Bill...this one isn't in my living room either...

DocChuck

• Total Posts: 88
                                      • Location: Columbia, MD. and Houston, TX.
                                      Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                      WOW!

What a super thread this could be (or ALREADY is) for us old-timer road warriors.  I, for one, will copy and paste EVERY photo into a 'special album' on my computer (whether, or not, that is legal --- LOL).

During our travels, my wife and I have collected hundreds of photos of vintage eateries from coast to coast (and in Europe --- where there are some REAL doozies, especially of some of the pubs in Ireland and Scotland). 

I look forward to viewing and collecting copies of YOUR photos.

Thanks for the effort.

mimicooks

• Total Posts: 37
                                        Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                        Seen on a diner menu in Arkansas years ago: Special today - Salad Bowel

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 4:10 PM (permalink)
                                          In a Nashville BBQ Brew Pub in 2006 Poverty Pete pointed out this poster for a 'Charity Walk' to raise funds for training 'Sight dogs'. While a bit on the risque theme, It certainly attracted our attention while we ate !

Tony Bad

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                            buffetbuster

Two classics from out West.

The bucking bronco at The Mint Bar

This one reminds me of this place in Wyoming...

<message edited by Tony Bad on Fri, 04/9/10 4:49 PM>

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 4:53 PM (permalink)
                                              You know you are not in Kansas any more when you see this sign on a buckwheat farm at the northernmost end of Route 1 in Fort Kent, Maine:

Michael Stern

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                                The Mint Bar at night:

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                                  Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 6:01 PM (permalink)
                                                  Here's a Milwaukee classic...

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                                    Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    ... and a classic in Toledo.

JUDYJACOBS

• Total Posts: 6
                                                      Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                                      I LIKE THE WOODEN PAINTED PRETZELS ON THE ENDS OF SMITTIES PRETZEL LIGHTHOUSE AND THEY HAVE A BLUE NEON PRETZEL IN THE TOP OF THE LIGHTHOUSE ROADSIDE STAND- YOU CAN SEE IT GOOD AT NITE CAUSE ITS LITE ALL NITE. JUDYJACOBS
                                                      Attached Image(s)

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                                                        Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                                        How long have you been flacking for Smitties?

buffetbuster

Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 8:09 PM (permalink)
                                                          Everything is bigger in Texas!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                                            Re:What's Your Favorite Roadfood Sign? (all across the USA) Fri, 04/9/10 8:13 PM (permalink)
                                                            All these signs are an absolute, hoot! Please, keep 'em coming!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 146

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com