What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 08:31:40 (permalink)
First uncork a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. Appetizer of half dozen little necks and half dozen oysters cold and briny. Next a plump sauteed soft shell crab. An entree of broiled turbot with a side of sauteed u12 scallops and a side of sweet succulent shrimp swimming in a butter garlic sauce. No dessert needed.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 08:51:23 (permalink)
My favorite is boiled shrimp ... chilled !!!

Then steamed oysters and fried flounder is a close third !!!

RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 10:10:38 (permalink)
Stone crab claws or whole dungeness crabs are my favorites.

John
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 11:28:48 (permalink)
Shellfish is my favorite, broiled with garlic and butter and every once in awhile, with a cajun rub. mmmmmmmm
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 12:17:08 (permalink)
Some of my favorite seafood dishes combine several varieties. For example, cioppino (Italian I think), bouillabase (French), Paella (Spanish), and Mariscada's or Maresco's (Brazilian/Portuguese?). These are basically seafood stews (except paella, which is done with yellow rice) with different bases and combining whatever was good from the dock that day; clams, mussels, scallops, shrimp, fish, lobster or crawfish, various kinds of vegetables, and sometimes chicken or sausage (off topic, I know). The flavors combine somewhat, but also stay distinct. When this is too much work, I'll take a simple Fish and Chips, with haddock my preferred fish.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6649
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 13:18:39 (permalink)
A really nice plate of sashimi.....with the scallops in an oyster shell, topped with tobikko and the yolk of a quail egg. You break the raw yolk and spread it over the scallops and sit back and savor. Along with ahi, uni, squid, bass and snapper.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 14:04:09 (permalink)
My favorite is anything on the menu at "Uglesich's" in New Orleans, closely followed by "Joe's Dreyfus Store" in Livonia, Louisiana, scampi at "La Riviera" in Metarie and any one of the seafood restaurants in Calabash, North Carolina. But then there is catfish in Mississippi and Alabama, and crawfish at "Alligator Bayou" outside Baton Rouge or anywhere in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana with a few Abita Ambers on the side could be the preference if all associated activities are taken into account.
Bad seafood is hard to find (except for that wet goo with 2 inch thick batter served up in parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin).
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 15:24:21 (permalink)
At a catfish house - cornmeal batter fried fish with hand cut fries, hush puppies, cole slaw, and a relish plate with green tomato relish and green onions.

At Pappas seafood (my favorite)

Shared appetizers of crab finger with red sauce and a basket of fried zucchini topped with fresh parmesan

Blackened redfish with Diablo sauce, or stuffed flounder
Baked potato and grilled vegetables

Ice cold Corona

If we are counting crawfish, an etouffee made with crawfish is heavenly.

hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 17:40:47 (permalink)
Fresh
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 20:57:17 (permalink)
Seafood Platter consisting of Grouper, soft shell crabs, scallops and stuffed shrimp. All fried.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 21:17:38 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Seafood? I see food; I eat it (sigh).
Shrinkingly, The-266-#-And-Slowly-Shrinking Ort. Carlton in the Ever-Tempting Menu-Menu-land Named Athens, Georgia.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 21:56:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
Seafood? I see food; I eat it (sigh).

Same here.

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

A really nice plate of sashimi.....with the scallops in an oyster shell, topped with tobikko and the yolk of a quail egg. You break the raw yolk and spread it over the scallops and sit back and savor. Along with ahi, uni, squid, bass and snapper...

Oh my goodness, there isn't a creature in the water that I do not adore. Opah, tuna, striped bass, Dover sole, turbot, halibut, catfish, King crab, Dunginess crab, oysters, clams, scallops, sea urchin.........on and on and on. I'll make it baked, broiled, pan-fried, grilled, steamed, anyway! Never met a fish I didn't love to cook!

I think lleechef pretty much sums up my thoughts.

...with honorable mention:

dbear, I ADORE cioppino!!! One of the main things I miss not traveling to the Bay area anymore.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 22:25:45 (permalink)
Jim in Lexington. We are headed over to Charleston this Saturday. We will stop to have lunch with the Sundancer and probably make it to the coast sometime late Sunday. We have been referred to Bowen's Island Near Charleston for Oysters. The combination of the reference and the link thru family surname is enough for us to try it.
But then we will head south along the coast to sample other places.... with some BBQ slipped in to keep the 4 food groups in Balance.
Last stop on the trip will be Pensacola where we will pick up a cooler full of Ruby Red's, my favorite shrimp specie.
If you are traveling that area during the first week of November watch for the Gold Ford Supercab with Hoosier tags. See ya on the road.
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/27 22:49:49 (permalink)
There's less than a handful of seafood I won't eat & Lord knows I love my crab cakes, steamed crabs, shrimp (fried & steamed). Nothing like a good piece of fresh fish, but I must say my all time favorite is a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch thick filet of MD rockfish (striped bass to those of you not in the know) on top of the baked filet is a mound of backfin crab imperial run under the broiler to a golden hue!!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6649
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/28 03:04:21 (permalink)
oh yes, ocdreamr, crab-crusted fish is divine..........yummmy!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/28 09:11:38 (permalink)
We do a CIA recipe of catfish filet, crabmeat and corn bread crumbs,
baked then run under the broiler , and served with a cream and country ham sauce. WOW!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/28 11:50:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

We do a CIA recipe of catfish filet, crabmeat and corn bread crumbs,
baked then run under the broiler , and served with a cream and country ham sauce. WOW!

Whoa---THAT sounds good!!!!
gonna need that recipe if you dont mind sharing---please please!
as for my favorite---gotta be whole beliiy fried clams with stuffed flounder fillet(oyster,crab meat,paprika,garlic,onion,parmasean, small-diced bread,egg,with a splash of hot sauce) coming in second.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/28 22:55:52 (permalink)
Catfish filets with crabmeat
serves 4
2 tsp butter (plus some to butter the baking dish)
1/4 C minced onion
3 Tblsp heavy cream
3 0z crabmeat
1/4 tsp salt
ground black pepper to taste
4 catfish filets
1/2 cup cornbread crumbs
1/4 C dry white wine
1/2 C fish or vegetable broth or clam juice
1/4 C julienned cured ham ( country ham)
2 Tblsp dry sherry

350 oven
Saute onions in butter, add half the cream and simmer 'till thickened.
Remove from heat add the crabmeat, salt, and pepper. Top each filet with the mixture, sprinkle with cornmeal, place all in a buttered baking dish and set aside.

Bring the wine and broth to a simmer and add to the baking dish - keep the cornbread dry. Place in oven and bake for about 12 minutes -
run under the broiler if the cornmeal has not formed a nice crispy brown crust.

Simmer the remaining cream with the ham 'till thickened - about 3 minutes.

Remove the filets to serving plates. Add the liquid from the baking dish to the cream/ham sauce and simmer another 3 minutes 'till the sauce has thickened. Add the sherry, adjust the salt and pepper. pour the sauce around, not over, the filets and serve

Green salad, or cooked greens go well with this dish. Ratatouille
or even stewed tomatoes work well. We always serve white rice with it.

meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/29 08:47:46 (permalink)
I am here late to this thread, but I must say after reading all of the posts, I absolutely KNOW that I would love to eat with each and every one of you. SeafarerJohn especially won my heart with his mention of shad roe (YUM!) and his recipe above. John, you do indeed live up to your name.

I love seafood in all its forms, but my favorite is a really good piece of fresh fish with crispy skin--I am set. I have such a craving right now and it is 8:45 in the morning. Anybody up for a seafood breakfast?

Meowzart
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/29 09:31:41 (permalink)
Actually, I HAD seafood for breakfast. Leftover calzones that I made with some shrimp creole that was left over from Sunday dinner (picture shrimp pie wrapped in homemade herbed pizza dough). I added sauteed zucchini and some roasted red peppers and voila, Shrimp Creole Calzones. Yummy.

Sadly, there were about twelve of these that I made to eat during the week, but Mrs. Mayhaw forgot about the second batch of them when she went to pick up soccer boys and by the time she got home all that was left in the oven were the last sic "Carbon Calzones a la Robin".
mudbug
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/29 10:23:12 (permalink)
Let's see - what a great topic.
Nantucket Bay scallops from my stove.
Crabcakes from Captain's Galley in Crisfield,MD
Fried clams from Farnum's in Essex,MA
Oysters on the half shell from Black's in Abbeville,LA
Dungeness crab from Swan's Oyster Depot in S.F.
Catfish from Ground Zero in Clarksdale,MS
Boiled crawfish from Hawk's in Rayne,LA
Sea scallops anyway from No.9 Park in Boston
Grouper sandwich from the west coast of FLA
Halibut poached at Lee and Tharon's last week
Second that oyster pan roast at Grand Central Raw Bar
Oyster loaf from Casamento's in New Orleans
Mr. Anthony's daily special at Uglesich's in New Orleans
Lobster from anybody's steamer
The list smilingly flows on...

My fave seafood is an easy one for me.Any Japanese restaurant offering O Toro(fatty tuna).The perfect food.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/29 10:36:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mudbug

Let's see - what a great topic.
Boiled crawfish from Hawk's in Rayne,LA
The list smilingly flows on...

I have extolled the virtues of Hawk's many times and if you managed to find it it indicates that you are probably a very enlightened tourist or a displaced Louisianan, as directions to Hawks generally involve turning left at the one legged dog, etc.
Craig328
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/29 10:45:56 (permalink)
I have to go with simplicity. Iced Cherry Stone Clams on the Half-Shell can easily eat four-five dozen. Served with lemon, cocktail sauce and Tabasco washed down by a cold beer. Honorable mention to BBQ Roasted Clams with drawn garlic butter, U-8 Shrimp that I used to scampi and eat whole or 1 Lb. Lobster Tail Sandwiches served on a heavily buttered and grilled Hot Dog bun which I used to make as chef of a Seafood House in S. Jersey.
mudbug
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/29 13:16:34 (permalink)
Mayhaw-I'm afraid I'm just a traveller who spends three days every year armed with my second copy of Mason Fry's and Julie Posner's "Cajun Country Guide" and a well-worn DeLorme Louisiana Atlas.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/29 13:24:23 (permalink)
quote:

Mayhaw-I'm afraid I'm just a traveller who spends three days every year armed with my second copy of Mason Fry's and Julie Posner's "Cajun Country Guide" and a well-worn DeLorme Louisiana Atlas.

I have reccomended their book to many here. Macon is a very old friend of mine. He is, in fact, the person that took me to Hawks for the first time. I love those "swimming pools" for the Crawfish(He is not a native incidentally, just one of those who came a never left, he is kind of blue blood Virginian, actually).

Julie is now doing a calender of events in Louisiana. It is really great and graphically impressive. When I get home I will post her site, I can't get to it here.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3902
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/29 14:26:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

If I could get it fresh all of the time like when I was living in Baja, I would also throw abalone into this mix. MMMMMMMM

Does abalone still exist? I thought I harvested the last of them around 1980. There is nothing like an abalone steak, but it's hard work making it ready for consumption. Say, do they still have the Tecate-Ensenada bike ride? One of my better memories of southern California life.

Just got back from Ensenada the other day. While walking thru the fish market section of town I saw plenty of vendors with fresh white abalone. Unfortunately, they were all pretty small, smaller than a saucer----seems like the dinner plate sized ones we used to catch off of Palos Verdes are much a thing of the past. The little stands within the fish market had a marvelous selection of food. Shrimp Cocktails were huge and delicious-----the fresh oysters on the half shell were superb and the fish tacos were great. Of course, the tequila at Hussongs wasn't bad either.....

On to the other subject. If lobster is taken out of the equation, I'd have to say my favorites are grilled scallops, fresh oysters and monkfish. Of course, that doesn't take into account all my other favorites at the sushi bar-----fresh halibut, sweet shrimp and any other type of fish or shellfish.

My personal favorite, however----and hard to find these days except at the fisherman's market (and even then only occasionally)----is the spider crab. Ugly, big and the shell needs a sledgehammer to crack-----but the flesh is the sweetest I've ever had. I've been known to eat a 12 pounder myself. Simply steamed, no butter needed------just a few bottles of beer and some time to work on it. Definitely worth searching out and absolutely my favorite!

Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/29 15:39:27 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I have reccomended their book to many here. Macon is a very old friend of mine. He is, in fact, the person that took me to Hawks for the first time. I love those "swimming pools" for the Crawfish(He is not a native incidentally, just one of those who came a never left, he is kind of blue blood Virginian, actually).

Julie is now doing a calender of events in Louisiana. It is really great and graphically impressive. When I get home I will post her site, I can't get to it here.

Sounds like the book my wife used to plan our 4 month "Baton Rouge and Western Louisiana" tour in 2000. Excellent not just for the food, but entertainment and points of interest (how else would we have discovered "Richard's" in Lawtell, "Fred's" in Mammou, the "Liberty Theater" in Eunice, "Tabby's Blues Box" in Baton Rouge, "Slim's Y-KI-KI" in Opelousus and all of those great Cajun dance halls). Matter of Fact, I think that is how we came up "Joe's Dreyfus Store", "Lea's Pies" and "Enola Prudhomme's" restaurant, the air boat rides and gator boat tours on the Achafalaya(spelling) basin. My old buds in Baton Rouge were amazed when I would tell them about the places we were going--as is usually the case, the natives had all of these treasures in their back yard and ignored them (or in some cases were afraid that they would risk bodily harm by going there). As the Louisiana travel motto says, [:I]"Come as your are, LEAVE DIFFERENT"
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/10/30 09:42:53 (permalink)
Freshwater Fish and Overall - Fried catfish
Salt Water Fish - Broiled snapper
Other - oysters on half-shell or boiled shrimp (can't decide) with crabmeat or scallop dishes close behind.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/11/20 12:40:43 (permalink)
Blue crabs and mudbugs, cajun style.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/11/20 13:14:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:

quote:

Sounds like the book my wife used to plan our 4 month "Baton Rouge and Western Louisiana" tour in 2000. Excellent not just for the food, but entertainment and points of interest (how else would we have discovered "Richard's" in Lawtell, "Fred's" in Mammou, the "Liberty Theater" in Eunice, "Tabby's Blues Box" in Baton Rouge, "Slim's Y-KI-KI" in Opelousus and all of those great Cajun dance halls). Matter of Fact, I think that is how we came up "Joe's Dreyfus Store", "Lea's Pies" and "Enola Prudhomme's" restaurant, the air boat rides and gator boat tours on the Achafalaya(spelling) basin. My old buds in Baton Rouge were amazed when I would tell them about the places we were going--as is usually the case, the natives had all of these treasures in their back yard and ignored them (or in some cases were afraid that they would risk bodily harm by going there). As the Louisiana travel motto says, [:I]"Come as your are, LEAVE DIFFERENT"

I have been trying to figure out where to post my adventures on Tuesday and this seems like as good a spot as any. No real details, but I can tell you that I didn't eat anything bad and nobody called
me "youse guys" although there were losts of "ya'lls, honeys, babies, huns, and sweethearts with a couple of chers to boot)

Mayhaw's Tuesday tour for Really Nice Yankee Tourists-

Lejeune's Bakery in Jeanerette

Jeanerette Sugar Processing Coop (we are in the middle of the cane harvest)

Lagniappe Too in New Iberia for lunch

Miles Comeaux's Cypress Furniture Shop in Milton

Tabasco in Avery Island

Hebert's Meat Market in Maurice

Poche's Meat Market in Cecilia (Breaux Bridge technically)

Joe's Dreyfuss Store in Livonia

Camille's Restauarant in Erwinville

We left their hotel in downtown N.O. and drove 475 miles (all of it no farther north than Opelousas) in one 18 hour trip. We ordered rediculous amounts of food at each stop (that was the whole point of the trip) and bought lots of meat- stuffed chickens,stuffed pork chops, andouille, boudin, smoked sausage, tasso, chaudin (stuffed pork stomach-cajun haggis), and they got a turducken at Poches.

All in all alot of fun and a great way to introduce "foriegners" to a really interesting part of the world. I had a great time and came very close toexploding more than once.

If any of you ever want to go for a ride, just give me a call. I never get tired of it and there are a ton of places (7 days worth, or more) that we didn't even get close to.

Edited for bad typing
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1