What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/11/20 13:26:44 (permalink)
I'll thrown in my favorites:
oysters...any way! anytime!
soft shell crab
shrimp - any way
lobster - soft shell, had this near the Nubble lighhouse in ME
eel - when served in a sushi place...

Making me hungry!!
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/11/27 16:51:44 (permalink)
HMMM i have to agree with dendan.. i love oysters anyway- anytime (especially the ones that i've had fresh out of the mississippi down in 'nawlins.. those were the best!! other than that.. i'm a shellfish lover.. lobster, shrimp,crab (regular- not softshell- never had that one) and eel-- battered and fried not raw!!!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/11/27 16:56:23 (permalink)
Fresh water fish: Walleye
Crappie
Catfish
Salt water Fish: Halibut
Swordfish
Haddock
Polock
Cod
Salt Water Shrimp
Fresh Water Shrimp
Oysters
Alaska King Crab
Squid

Paul E. Smith
Lobster
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/11/27 21:09:39 (permalink)
Octopus served hot and grilled or as a salad. It really grows on you.
The-Porcus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/11/30 13:53:26 (permalink)
These aren't my favourite (so whaddaya doing in this forum twit?) but there are so darn many pretty clear front-runners - hot boiled lobster with drawn butter, fried clams, Atlantic (Crassostrea) oysters served cold on the half shell with absolutely nothing atop --so I'll give you a couple of unusual faves no one might mention - dried roe-on-kelp slathered with oolichan grease and goose-neck barnacles harvested fresh from the most treacherous high exposure rocky shores of the Pacific northwest.
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/11/30 16:29:03 (permalink)
Being from Baltimore, crab is a natural favorite, but I'm also very fond of shrimp.

My hubby makes a Thai peanut shrimp dish that is my absolute favorite dinner. He uses Taste of Thai peanut sauce mix, but makes it smoother and creamier using actual crunchy peanut butter, and zips it up with extra chilies, and pretties it up with scallions, and uses Thai jasmine rice . . . Faaaabulous.

The Thais do excellent things with crab, too. House of Siam in Springfield (7056 Spring Garden Dr.) makes a wonderful crab fried rice. In fact, at one point we were getting Thai food from there once a week, and driving an hour and a half home to Baltimore with it in the back of the car. And it was in those annoying foil trays with the plastic lids, so you couldn't even pick at it. An hour and a half, sitting with that aroma wafting from the back seat . . . Ahhhh sweet torture.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/12/29 22:01:56 (permalink)
The Seafood Platter at Papadeaux with a dozen r'oysters on the side!
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2003/12/29 22:21:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by olphart

The Seafood Platter at Papadeaux with a dozen r'oysters on the side!

I love that place! There's one in Albuquerque, NM and I eat there(and The Frontier) every time I go to Albuquerque for my job (about three times a year).
pfarmer241
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/01 09:56:36 (permalink)
South West Coast of Florida has some very nice LARGE shrimp. Great for fixing anyway you like them. Have shrimped in the intercoastal waterways and got buckets of shrimp. I prefer tempura shrimp - have a great recipe. "Cold" water is the trick. Happy New Year to you all!!!
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/01 10:12:22 (permalink)
Everything except raw oysters. For some reason, I can't STAND eating raw oysters... and shrimp: I am sadly allergic to them

Other than that, I am a happy seafood lover: shellfish, fish, crabs, lobsters--bring 'em on. And of course, being Chinese, I demand only the very freshest in seafood!
The Old Salt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/03 15:21:26 (permalink)
My favorite seafood is a Taylor Bluefish (a small 2-3 pound bluefish) freshly caught and fried on the boat or on a barbeque as soon as caught. Clean but leave head on. Remove head, skin, and any dark meat before eating.

The large choppers of 10 - 15 pounds are overloaded with dark meat and foul tasting oils that permeat all the meat when cooked. You can minimize tht by soaking in a vinegar solution overnight in the refrig but it won't be as good as a small blue.

After that I really enjoy oysters on the half shell or oysters Rockefeller. I don't like oyster fritters, they are too strong tasting for me. My best oysters use to be hand picked at Stony Brook, LI when the water was clean. Then I liked Chincoteque oysters but favor Apalachicola Bay oysters, preferably at "That Place On 98" in Esatville, FL between Apalachicola and St. George Island.

The most unique oysters that I have eatten was at a place on Ocean Drive in Santa Monica, CA. They served a dozen oyster with 2 from different world-wide locations with a sampling of several wines to go with specific oysters. I would never have believed the difference in taste that oysters could have and have all of them taste great.

My first shellfish on the halfshell was when I was sixteen. They were clams in Lake Montauk in a small cove where the fishing fleet is berthed now. In those days you could walk across almost the whole cove. You could also see the bottom in twenty feet of water like there was only one foot of water from the end of the pier at the Coast Guard Amphibian planes hangar to the west of the Montauk RR station.

I have never seen any salt water fish that I didn't like except for sardines, anchovies, and most salmon with king salmon being the exception. I have never eaten a fresh water fish that didn't taste like mud or a dishrag. :)
stridge
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/06 20:10:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by skylar0ne

Okay. Let's say you're at your favorite seafood restaurant/fish camp, and you're looking forward to your favorite seafood meal. (For the purpose of this discussion, let's assume that lobster is not on the menu). So what do you order? Flounder? Trout? Shell fish? How do you want it cooked? Broiled? Fried? Grilled? What kind of sides do you like to eat with it?

My personal favorite is fried salt and pepper catfish fillets, served with a baked potato, some good red slaw, and hushpuppies. Sweetened iced tea to drink. Grilled shrimp stuffed with crabmeat would run a very close second. Tell us what's on YOUR plate.
I like cold plates of shrimp,scallops and cole slaw.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/08 11:25:48 (permalink)
We dont get to NYC as much as we once did, but yesterday we went down to see a matinee of AIDA (great show, even this oldtimer who does not "get it" with rock music absolutely loved the show).

We got off the train from Poughkeepsie at Grand Central and headed straight for the Oyster Bar. We hesitated to enter the retaurant - it was being picketed by its workers who, god knows, deserve better pay and benefits, and we both, being long time union members, are loath to cross a picket line. But, please forgive us, we did , and chose Malpeques and Chincoteagues on the half shell for starters and New England Clam Chowder and Oyster Pan Roast for the meal. All was excellent. We sat at the oyster bar and received fast efficient and friendly service (even if hey are scabs - they were doing a credible job).

After the theater we went to Virgil's BBQ on 43rd St, but there was a
fifteen minute wait and the hostess had an "attitude" that turned us off, even if there hadn't been a wait, so we walked out of Virgil's and got a cab to Grand Central (very cold windy day in Manhattan) where we had excellent Martini's on a place on a balcony overlooking the Main concourse (taught the waitress to call that vodka drink by its proper name- Stalini - and she reported the information to the bartender), some little sandwiches, tiramisu and coffee before catching the 6:10 back to Poughkeepsie. I guess none of it was "roadfood" but it was a very nice day.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/08 12:10:36 (permalink)
I think probably shrimp, in almost all forms: steamed, fried, boiled, in stir-fries, au gratin, in curries, pasta sauces etc. etc. etc. Don't really like them raw, though ceviche's good.
Scallops (esp. Digbys in NS!): deep-fried, lightly coated w/ seasoned flour & pan-fried w/ garlic and parsley (or with white wine, mushrooms, scallions or, or). Prefer them cooked too, although ceviche works!
Crab cakes - gotta get with the Maryland thing!
Lobster in almost all forms, esp. Asian styles.
Clams: Fried (whole please!), w/ pasta.
Oysters: raw, fried, Bienville, Rockefeller etc.
Salmon (pref. non-Farmed): grilled or broiled.
Tuna: lightly grilled or broiled, sushi.
Also never met a seafood soup I didn't like - Bouillabaisse, Bourride, Tom Yam Kung, Gumbo, Cioppino, Soupe au Poisson etc etc....
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/08 13:37:24 (permalink)
Being from the Midwest, yah gotta love a FRESH poached Walleye fillet with a touch of lemon and a lot of melted butter! Also, a cast iron drying pan full of lightly breaded crappie fillets or perch.

When I lived in Annapolis MD it was steamed Blue Crabs with a ton of Old Bay on them. Dump em on the table, a few ears of fresh corn and cold beer!

Here in Denver it's always a treat to go to McCormicks downtown for a dozen VERY FRESH Atlantic Oysters. Wash em down with a couple Stalini's.

Don
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/08 17:39:22 (permalink)
Speaking of perch, fresh yellow perch, and small mouth bass caught in my favorite Finger Lake, lightly coated and pan fried (for breakfast....or dinner)are both number one on my list.

Followed closely by fried calamari, and shrimp any-old-which-way!
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/09 18:24:39 (permalink)
Hey Cosmos, Agree! I don't know where you are but when I was in Michigan we used to catch a lot of Perch out in the "Bay" and Lake St. Clair. Clean em and dowse in flower and fry in a cast iron pan. Wow! Nothing frozen, same day!

Also, just remebered, SMELT! In Chicago we used to go to the "rocks" and net smelt by the hundreds! Fry them ASAP at home, in a pan, with flour breading, and that was a FEAST!

Don
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/09 18:31:16 (permalink)
The Sundancers #1 favorite is winter caught crappie that is fresh and fried.

My number one experience was several years ago with my now deceased father in law. He lived on the Holly Glenn Tree Farm Estate which had about a mile frontage on the Chicamauga embayment of the Tennessee River. He had a cove that came into his property and in late January and early in the morning we caught several dozen crappie. We did the filet thing and fried them for breakfast along with Tennessee potatoes and Tennessee cornbread.

I do not know how many of you have experienced these neat pan fish but they are wonderful.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 11:48:31 (permalink)
Freshwater-fresh caught catfish, fried in some good cornmeal served with some creamy coleslaw and chunky hushpuppies.
Saltwater-a nice red tuna barely seared covered in seseme seeds, sliced thinly and served wtih a light teriyaki sauce, served with a fresh salad with ginger dressing.plus a good bottle of Kirin beer.
Bivalve-Oysters raw or steamed, with some lemon, hot sauce and maybe butter. i prefer them steamed hot off the grill on a cold night around a bonfire. mmmm
Shellfish-a good pot of crabs just poured onto a picnic table with fresh corn on the cob, potatoes, its a chaos of the senses.
Other-of course sushi, with wasabi and pickled ginger..its the perfect food.
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 12:13:35 (permalink)
Has anybody ever eaten orange roughy? I've heard this fish is good baked, as it doesn't have a fishy taste or smell. Just wondered if any of you have tried it, and if so how you prepared it.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7054
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 12:35:21 (permalink)
Skylar, orange roughy is a very mild white fish that arrives in the US frozen, mainly from New Zealand. I personally do not care for it (or Chilean sea bass) for the fact that the fish has been previously frozen. Ok, I admit I'm spoiled from eating fresh fish in Boston for years and now in AK. But as far as preparation goes, you could do it any way you would cod, haddock, flounder or sole......ie broiled, pan fried, baked. I think a la meunieure might be the best........coat the fillets with seasoned flour, saute in clarified butter on both sides, remove from pan, deglaze with white wine, add a squish of lemon, chopped parsley and swirl in a piece of whole butter. Pour this over the fish and serve with some nice boiled potatoes.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 13:34:32 (permalink)
I just remembered what may have been the best fish dish ever: a huge caught-that-morning red snapper in Jamaica, baked with onion, garlic, and hot peppers. Three generations of my family feasted like no tomorrow and there were still leftovers. Now that was a fish!!
Dipstick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 15:09:36 (permalink)
In just the last few months, I've become quite the fan of tilapia. It's a very mild flavored fish with great texture.
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 15:49:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

OYSTERS OYSTERS OYSTERS

I can hardly wait until Thanksgiving dinner when we will start off with Oyster and Artichoke soup.......a wonderful beginning to a great meal.

If you want to try another oyster stew one cold night later in the winter, here's one of my favorites:

OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER STEW – 4 servings

4 slices bacon
1 cup thinly sliced leeks
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/ 8 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 cups half-and-half
2 cups milk
1 1/ 2 pints shucked oysters and liquor
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups thinly sliced raw spinach leaves
Salt and black pepper
1 Tbs. butter (optional)
Oyster crackers to serve with stew

In a large heavy saucepan or soup kettle, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel, crumble and reserve. Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of drippings from the skillet.

Add the leek and celery and saute over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the cayenne pepper.

Add the half-and-half and the milk and bring to a simmer. Add the oysters (cut large ones in half) and the Worcestershire sauce. Return to a simmer. Stir in the spinach and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the spinach is just wilted and the oysters are cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Swirl in the optional butter, if used, and serve immediately in large, shallow bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with the reserved bacon.

I cannot wait to try this! Since I'm the only one that eats oyster stew, well, any kind of oysters for that matter, in my family, so one will gripe when I add these extras to my stew.

I also wanted to mention that a co-worker of mine just got back yesterday MD and went to Casey's Crab Company in Laurel, MD, and brought me 2 crab cakes back(they aren't cooked yet)! The employee at the store/restaurant was kind enough to pack all both of them in dry ice and a cooler almost big enough for a 12 pack of beer, so that the cakes would survive the trip back to me. Can't wait to try these tonight. Again, no one will fight me for them. These rate right up there with oysters. Anyone ever been to Casey's??
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 16:30:08 (permalink)
My favorite seafood dish is a Portuguese seafood stew. 2 dozen little necks,1 dozen cleaned mussels, 2 16 oz cans white clam sauce, 1 bottle of clam juice, cup of dry white wine and 16 oz. good Portuguese linguica or chorizo. Homemade bread and good ale or glass of red wine. Real close to heaven.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 20:20:31 (permalink)
Hey Clothier and Cosmos, the Perch were great there and fun catching them. Lived there for 15 years and enjoyed the fishing on Lake St. Clair, Houghton Lake, and Steel Head fishing on the Platte, Manistee, and up at Harrisville. Always had a freezer full of great Michigan fish to dive into!

Don
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 21:48:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by axvawe

My favorite seafood dish is a Portuguese seafood stew. 2 dozen little necks,1 dozen cleaned mussels, 2 16 oz cans white clam sauce, 1 bottle of clam juice, cup of dry white wine and 16 oz. good Portuguese linguica or chorizo. Homemade bread and good ale or glass of red wine. Real close to heaven.

Why is it that the Portuguese are to best at seafood. I was in Valdez AK and the best seafood dish was at a Portuguese restaurant?

Those people know how to do it right.

Perhaps only lleechef can do it better.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7054
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/12 22:07:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by axvawe

Why is it that the Portuguese are to best at seafood. I was in Valdez AK and the best seafood dish was at a Portuguese restaurant?

Those people know how to do it right.

Perhaps only lleechef can do it better.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

You are too kind. When I was at Yankee Lobster we always had the two staples: clam chowder and lobster bisque. I always added a third soup/stew that changed every day. It got to the point that when I made Portuguese Fisherman's Stew, the customers would get on their cell phones and start making the calls.......and I'd be sold out of it by 1PM. But then there were all the Brazilians, Hondurans, Cape Verdians who worked with me.......smelling the cooking of the Portuguese in the morning and systematically raided the kitchen before noon! Oh, it is one AWESOME soup!
daddytom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/13 08:42:22 (permalink)
I'm going to take the easy way out and cast my vote for the Fried Fisherman's Platter - clams, shrimp, haddock chunks, and scallops, on a bed of fries, topped off by a huge pile of onion rings, and accompanied by hot sauce, cocktail sauce, tarter sauce, and vinegar for dipping. A glass of unsweetened ice tea with lemon goes great with it. And the best places are J. T. Farnham's and Essex Seafood on Route 133 in Essex MA. A once-a-week visit isn't often enough!

quote:
Originally posted by skylar0ne

Okay. Let's say you're at your favorite seafood restaurant/fish camp, and you're looking forward to your favorite seafood meal. (For the purpose of this discussion, let's assume that lobster is not on the menu). So what do you order? Flounder? Trout? Shell fish? How do you want it cooked? Broiled? Fried? Grilled? What kind of sides do you like to eat with it?

My personal favorite is fried salt and pepper catfish fillets, served with a baked potato, some good red slaw, and hushpuppies. Sweetened iced tea to drink. Grilled shrimp stuffed with crabmeat would run a very close second. Tell us what's on YOUR plate.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/16 17:51:30 (permalink)
I mentioned above the seafood platter at Pappadeaux. Have to add that the Pappadeaux on Richmond near Kirby has a great Sunday brunch. The boiled, seasoned shrimp alone is worth the trip.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1