What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
spweimerskirch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/01/24 21:40:50 (permalink)

King Crab with a spicy cream based sauce, and a spicy tomato based sauce-tons of lemon, forget the butter.

Tilapia when in season with a light cajun coating extra spicy and a side of peach, cilatro, lime, and habenaro salsa. Hot and Cool, get it.

Crabcakes folded with corn and heat. Side of remoulade with a little cumin. Trust.

Ever had Crackered Walleye, Cracker? Ritz, butter, Walleye bites and a real hot grill and garlic olive oil.

Monkfish and lime sausage.

Just a few favorites I make as I can.

Swimmingly,
Shannon
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3309
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/02/11 08:47:31 (permalink)
My favorite seafood includes fresh: walleye, perch, skatefish, salmon, red snapper, monk fish, white fish, smoked fish, chubs, and lox.
Leemart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/02/28 03:26:08 (permalink)
I don't think I have met a seafood that I didn't like, and most of it I LOVE!

Crab - Alaskan Red King Crab split and steamed with drawn butter.
Oysters - Chincoteague or Appalachicola raw on the half shell or lightly battered and deep fried.
Shrimp - Royal Red or Canaveral Browns lightly battered and deep fried.
Clams - Whole Ipswitch lightly battered and deep fried.
Scallops - Digby, NS lightly battered and either pan fried or deep fried.
Rock Shrimp - Split and broiled with garlic butter.
Mussels - Straight from Carraba's in their wonderful garlic/wine sauce.
Fish - Tripletail, Scamp Grouper or Snook fingered, lightly battered and deep fried -OR- Flounder stuffed with crabmeat and broiled -OR- Non-farm-raised Catfish breaded with cornmeal and deep fried.

This will probably raise a little Hell, but while ALL lobster is fantastic, I personally prefer a Rock Lobster Tail over a "Maine" Lobster. Don't pass up fresh Shovelnose Lobster if you ever get a chance to be served some as they have a very sweet taste.
queenb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/03/20 06:39:09 (permalink)
It's hard to say. Of saltwater fish, flounder, grouper,halibut, mahi-mahi and orange roughy are some of my favorites.I like almost all shellfish, and can't decide between scallops or shrimp as to which is better; and I like them any style as long as they're fresh and properly prepared. Which leads me to....catfish lovers, try this. Next time you get ahold of some fresh crappie, walleye, bluegill (or any other sunfish....we call all of them "bream" here in the South), try skinning them before you fillet or dress them. It makes all the difference in the world, and in my opinion these fish are all better than catfish by a long shot. It's the skin that holds the fishy flavor, and that's why catfish are so mild, thay are always skinned.As I said before, it's that proper preparation that makes or breaks seafood.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/02 10:01:17 (permalink)
If I am cooking at home, I like to cook tilapia lightly breaded and fried. I also like to bake salmon with lemon and garlic.

But I live in Gastonia, NC and we are lucky to have a slew of what we call Fish Camps which are non fancy Seafood Restaurants. They serve a seafood platter which usually consist of : Shrimp, Oysters, flounder,scallops, deviled crab along with french fries, hushpuppies and coleslaw. You can also order catfish and other seafood and you have the choice of regular or salt and peppered. They also have wonderful onion rings.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/02 11:42:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

If I could get it fresh all of the time like when I was living in Baja, I would also throw abalone into this mix. MMMMMMMM

Does abalone still exist? I thought I harvested the last of them around 1980. There is nothing like an abalone steak, but it's hard work making it ready for consumption. Say, do they still have the Tecate-Ensenada bike ride? One of my better memories of southern California life.

Never rode that one, but did the Tijuana-Ensenada bike ride when I lived in SoCal. Our reward at the end of the ride was a great Shrimp Diablo dinner in Ensenada at a white table cloth place for $6. Unfortunately my friend's Motobacane was stolen while we ate this fabulous meal. My favorite seafood meal was eating oysters while sitting on the beach on a small island off the coast of Venezula last year. A guy would dig them up in front of you, shuck them, and serve them to you with limes and hot sauce for about 6000 bolavires (about $3).
jettababs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/02 11:54:00 (permalink)
Depends on the mood I'm in, but pretty much any time I'd go for spicy shrimp rolls and mackeral, or scallops pan-fried and finished with lemon. Fried clams and fish and chips, always, and if I'm in a Hoosier frame of mind, crispy, delicate, piping-hot fried catfish served with fries and cole slaw.
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/02 12:46:13 (permalink)
I'll start off with a few humongous chilled shrimp with some good cocktail sauce. Then how about some nice deep fried perch fillets?
A little slaw on the side and a nice glass of white wine and I'm a happy gal. (yes, perch isn't SEAfood per se...but it's darn good!)
NWM
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/02 13:44:00 (permalink)
Last Sunday, we were blessed with a gorgeous spring day. Being a sucker for anything my eye catches at Trader Joes, I had a package of frozen tuna burgers that I threw on the grill. They were great! Some fresh buns from the bakery, homemade tartar sauce and cole slaw, ice tea --- MMMMM! It was a lip-smacking good lunch, if I do say so myself. I am generally wary of buying frozen seafood being an east coast resident. But these were fresh and tasty. Does anyone agree with the "frozen is better" theory for seafood (being frozen at sea keeps it fresher getting to market)?
twodales
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/04 14:33:40 (permalink)
Dislike Tilapia.....it tastes like dirt!

Likes? Salmon, swordfish, tuna, LOVE red snapper, trout, whitefish, crab, lobster, shrimp, lake perch, LOVE sand dabs and Rodspotta (believe it is a flounder), mussels, and just about everything else.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/04 23:02:48 (permalink)
Rodspotta????????

Tilapia - looks and tastes like carp - inedible!
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/05 21:08:13 (permalink)
Is it the time for Smelt Fishing on Lake MI? Not actually "seafood" but a great overnight endeavor and lots to eat!

Montrose harbor off the "Rocks"?

Don
twodales
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/06 11:39:21 (permalink)
Here you go Seafarer John

This explains "Rodspotta" and why it is called that. The English call it "Plaice". It is a type of flounder.

http://www.hem.passagen.se/kent.andersson/rodspotta.htm

Here's one in English:

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Pleuronectes&speciesname=platessa
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/06 12:39:56 (permalink)
Had what was probably my all-time favorite seafood meal a year or so ago at McNasby's in Annpolis, MD. Fried Catfish sandwich, order of steamed clams, and some steamed crabs. Pure heaven.
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/06 19:08:59 (permalink)
Abalone is not quite extinct off California. Not quite, but unscupulous sport divers seem to be doing their level best to make it extinct. If you really like abalone, your best bet would be to leave it strictly alone and hope the population recovers. I can't say for sure about Mexico, but I don't believe that nation affords endangered species much protection.

In the SF Bay area, I enjoy petrale, pronounced "petrolley." I don't believe it's biologically related to sole, but it cooks up like the tenderest, most delicate sole you've ever had. Sautéed meunière or doré, it calls for lemon caper sauce.
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/17 10:32:07 (permalink)
Ipswitch Clams, Snook, Stone Crabs, Swordfish, Yellow Tail Snapper and Lobster

Rich
[url]www.BluemaxxRacing.com[/url]
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/17 12:04:19 (permalink)

The only "fresh" fish available in the Panhandle of Nebraska are white bass and wallege, during fishing season. And they are delectable. But the "Schwans" man talked me into buying some breaded catfish fillets the other day. Lightly breaded, well seasoned. When deep-fried, I almost thought I was back in Indiana! Yum Yum. I envy those able to get all sorts of fresh seafood!

The Lady
Rex Allen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/04/17 12:05:19 (permalink)
Any West coast shell fish, Hamma Hamma's ,and all the rest Abalone will never be extinct as it is now protected and being farmed in Monterey Bay. And the two bike rides mentioned earlier ran last year so I imagine they will run this year. The Mexican economy needs the money, and they get new bikes every year!!! (Joke)
Rex in expensive San Diego. It is supposed to rain today and since we are many inches behnd, we are all hopeing. San Diego really is in a desert.
clemspal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/05/22 15:40:11 (permalink)
it would have to be fried fingerling catfish , with candied yams , ( ok , maybe grits with butter ) , cole slaw , hush-puppies , and sweet tea . if the cats are really good , you won't have room for dessert for awhile , but later , maybe a slice of lemon pie .
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/05/22 16:25:12 (permalink)

I just happened to breeze thru Jungle Jim's (Cincinnati) Grocery Ad's. They Have swordfish at $3.99 a lb this week. Wish the price of gas wouldn't prevent me from a 200 mile grocery run !!
Bushie Hurry Up.. I am looking forward to a Jungle Jim's Shopping run as soon as you arrive.
Man, does Swordfish do well on my grill !!
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/05/22 16:58:05 (permalink)
This is an easy question. And....there is only one real answer:

Steamed lobster, preferably in Maine, but darn good even right here at home in Plattsburgh.

Wally
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/10/11 00:58:55 (permalink)
I love scallops, shrimp, crab, tuna, salmon, grouper. I love scallops with stir fried veggies.

carl reitz
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/10/11 02:14:38 (permalink)
I'm with all the oyster lovers. My #2 is probably shrimp, or maybe salmon.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2019
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/10/12 10:15:58 (permalink)
Buy or borrow a boat. Get out to Cuttyhunk in the Massachusetts Elizabeth Islands. Rent a mooring. Get the attention of the delivery boat. Those guys deliver superfresh 1/2 shell bivalves cultivated by them in the waters of the island. Share a few dozen with friends and family as you drink a few beers. If I can't have that, fried clams at one of several great places.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? 2004/10/13 12:42:26 (permalink)
1. OYSTERS (Chincoteague if available)
2. MARYLAND SOFT SHELL CRAB
3. DELMARVA HARD SHELL CRAB
4. Freshly caught wild pacific Salmon
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1