Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood?

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 115
skylar0ne

• Total Posts: 473
What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 5:53 PM (permalink)
Okay. Let's say you're at your favorite seafood restaurant/fish camp, and you're looking forward to your favorite seafood meal. (For the purpose of this discussion, let's assume that lobster is not on the menu). So what do you order? Flounder? Trout? Shell fish? How do you want it cooked? Broiled? Fried? Grilled? What kind of sides do you like to eat with it?

My personal favorite is fried salt and pepper catfish fillets, served with a baked potato, some good red slaw, and hushpuppies. Sweetened iced tea to drink. Grilled shrimp stuffed with crabmeat would run a very close second. Tell us what's on YOUR plate.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
    RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 6:18 PM (permalink)
    Let's see...Oysters, oysters, then, I don't know...how about some oysters? Start with a dozen on the half shell, follow that up with a pan roast, and finish off with an oyster loaf.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 6:38 PM (permalink)
      Location and circumstances definitely affect this one..
      1. Freshwater fish...The winner is---Catfish either corn-mealed and fried or lemon-pepper pan-fry.
      2. Shellfish- Fried Whole Belly Clams (north-shore Mass. style) or Scallops batter and fry. Or skewer and grill. Then comes Oysters in almost any format and style.
      3.S H R I M P - Stuffed and deep-fried. or scampi, or 'Alfredo w/ Linguini'...or peel and eat or or or
      4. Saltwater Fish- Swordfish or Halibut steak broiled or off an outdoor grill
      Add to this list Crawdads !!!

We do enjoy our seafood.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
        RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 7:44 PM (permalink)
        OYSTERS OYSTERS OYSTERS

I can hardly wait until Thanksgiving dinner when we will start off with Oyster and Artichoke soup.......a wonderful beginning to a great meal.

emmymom

• Total Posts: 94
          RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 8:17 PM (permalink)
          Crab cakes! The lovely, Chesapeake bay area kind, almost solid lump crabmeat with just a hint of binder and seasoning. Broiled, not fried. That and a good coleslaw, and I'm set.

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
            RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 8:29 PM (permalink)
            Freshwater Fish- White Perch (that's crappie to some of you)

Saltwater fish-Lemon Fish (that's ling or cobia to some of you)

Bivalve-Oyster

Shellfish-Shrimp and Crabs run a dead tie- I like shrimp when I am peeling them and crab when I am not. If I had to keep my family from starving by picking crabs they would not last very long. Claw and Backfin please, you can have the lump, it's waaay overated and overpriced.

If I could get it fresh all of the time like when I was living in Baja, I would also throw abalone into this mix. MMMMMMMM

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
              RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 8:29 PM (permalink)
              Shrimp when I'm on the Gulf Coast
              Crabs when We're on the Chesapeake
              Whitefish or Walleyes on the Great Lakes
              Oysters, only for them Months with an "R"

All fried in grease, barbecued and broiled ... Somethimes steamed

Poverty Pete

RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 9:04 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

If I could get it fresh all of the time like when I was living in Baja, I would also throw abalone into this mix. MMMMMMMM

Does abalone still exist? I thought I harvested the last of them around 1980. There is nothing like an abalone steak, but it's hard work making it ready for consumption. Say, do they still have the Tecate-Ensenada bike ride? One of my better memories of southern California life.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                  RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 9:37 PM (permalink)
                  Fresh sea scallops wrapped in bacon and lightly grilled over a wood fire -- as well as accompanied by a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.

seafarer john

RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 9:53 PM (permalink)
                    Chincoteague or Malpeque oysters on the half shell with mignonette sauce - a dozen will do. Oyster pan roast at the Grand Central Oyster Bar or Harrison's in Ocean City MD. Crab cakes along the Chesapeake. Shad roe, sauted with onions and bacon at home.
                    Steamed shrimp with Old Bay sprinkled all over them - and cold beer.
                    PEI mussels cooked ala mariniere with crusty bread and cheap white wine. And then to the main course, a flounder filet deep fried , crispy outside and moist and succulent inside. Sorry, but there's no favorite- it depends on the season and the location...

And then there's catfish, and sunfish, and trout, and weakfish and codfish (cakes with onion and potato) and grouper and red snapper,
                    and clam chowder or broth....

kdiammond

• Total Posts: 133
                      RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 9:55 PM (permalink)
                      Favorite seafood -- toss-up between blue crab and caviar (does that count?). Love hardshells steamed, softshells floured and pan fried in butter, and caviar (oh just pick one!) with blini, sour cream and onions! Also high on the list are shad roe with bacon and fried oysters, and clams in black bean sauce.

seafarer john

RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 10:03 PM (permalink)
                        Oh! I forgot lox with cream cheese, onions and good rye bread!

hermitt4d

• Total Posts: 367
                          RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sat, 10/25/03 11:47 PM (permalink)
                          My favorite seafood meal when I eat out? That's easy: a dozen oysters on the half shell, dressed with a squeeze of lime, a sprinkle of salt and a dash of Tabasco, followed by a whole, butterflied, deep-fried catfish with a light cornmeal coating, accompanied by perfectly golden fries, hushpuppies and a small paper cup of cole slaw, washed down with a draught (or two). This is my regular order at Capt. Benny's, Capt. Tom's or the Captain's Oyster Bar and Restaurant in Houston. (All of these are descended from the original Capt. Benny's ca. 1950s either by ownership or management and have virtually identical menus, suppliers and prep).

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 2:23 AM (permalink)
                            I definetely prefer shellfish. Scallops first by a hair, then oysters then shrimp. I like 'em fried in batter, or scampi style or whatever and for oysters raw with lemon, tobassco and horseradish. Either all 3 or just some. I'll eat 1 to 2 dz this way.

Matter of fact I'll be in Annapolis later today and will be doing some damage to the oyster population there.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 6:49 AM (permalink)
                              Hmmm...favorite seafood(s). Hardshell crabs from MD...lobster from ME...Fried Ipswich clams from MA...lox and whitefish salad from NY...BBQ shrimp from LA...Stone Crabs from FL...homemade gefilte fish.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                                RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 8:55 AM (permalink)
                                There's nothing wrong with an expertly cooked grouper sandwich. I had lunch at the Vinoy Resort recently and had a "grouper reuben sandwich" - an interesting take on the traditional reuben. It was so big I was unable to use my hands, so I had to knife & fork it. But it was on this great roll, with kraut, 1000 island and swiss, just like a real reuben, only with grilled grouper. I'll see if I can sweet talk the recipe out of the chef...

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
                                  RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                  My favorite seafood meal would depend on the time of year and how I'm feeling at the time. When they're in season, there's nothing like a pile of steamed, well-seasoned hard shell blue crabs with fresh, sweet corn-on-the-cob and a few cold brews. When crabs are not in season, or when I don't feel like picking them, I would choose any kind of shellfish, but preferably oysters, and preferably fried (although I eat fried foods sparingly).

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                                    RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                    not an easy deal here......start w/ raw clams on the 1/2 shell(oysters as well)...proceed to sauted scallops, followed by a 3lb Maine lobster BOILED OR STEAMED(anyone that puts a broiling element on a lobster should be examined)......of course, i have omitted 'mussels' in green sauce(portugese), dungeness crab, and Long Island striped bass
                                    I am starting to feel weak and nostalgic, curse this thread

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
                                      RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Poverty Pete

quote:
                                      Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

Does abalone still exist? I thought I harvested the last of them around 1980. There is nothing like an abalone steak, but it's hard work making it ready for consumption. Say, do they still have the Tecate-Ensenada bike ride? One of my better memories of southern California life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply from Mayhaw, the computer moron who can't get the quote thing down pat

They still have the bike race, along with some kind of car thing around Ensenada almost everyweekend (apparently, judging from people with cars on trailers using the rural Tecate crossing instead of the rediculous Tijuana or Otay Mesa crossings below San Diego).

And you are right, the Guadalupe Valley is something to see for those in El Norte that have never bothered. Tons of grape acerage and supposedly the largest concentration of olive trees in the world. I used to drive it alot on weekends heading for Ensenada for a little grazing on Fish Tacos and Cockateles.

Another highly underated drive in that part of the world is the drive along the border from Tecate to Mexicali across the Rumorosa mountains and into the salt flats on the west side of Mexicali (where there are also alot of really good, really cheap chinese joints run by the Chinese population left there after the railroad was completed. You would be suprised how may people in that part of the world are named Juan Wong). Really desolate and beautiful. We used to drive up to Rumorosa to go sledding, as they get a suprising amount of snow up there on occasion. The salt flats are really popular with the offroad crowd as well.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                                        RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                        If lobster's not on the menu I'm not in the restaurant.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                                          RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 1:10 PM (permalink)
                                          Got to go with broiled scallops

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                            RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                            Scallops! Broiled or BBQed! Then catfish, "blackened or fried, then grilled "meaty" fish like swordfish, Ahi and Mahi-mahi. But of course, when in New Orleans crawfish rules!

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                              RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 2:58 PM (permalink)
                                              In a perfect world, I'd have a crabmeat cocktail - a large container of lump blue crabmeat with browned butter for dipping. Then I would have fresh flounder fried in a crumb breading with a squeeze of lemon but only if it's VERY fresh. I would also check if they had some kind of baked or broiled rockfish on the menu. If so, I'd forget the flounder and order that.

But when traveling, I would go with the local specialties. One of my most memorable seafood meals was in Haiti, where we had freshly caught sea urchins and broiled lobsters with lime.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                                RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by chezkatie

OYSTERS OYSTERS OYSTERS

I can hardly wait until Thanksgiving dinner when we will start off with Oyster and Artichoke soup.......a wonderful beginning to a great meal.

If you want to try another oyster stew one cold night later in the winter, here's one of my favorites:

OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER STEW – 4 servings

4 slices bacon
                                                1 cup thinly sliced leeks
                                                1 cup thinly sliced celery
                                                1/ 8 tsp. cayenne pepper
                                                3 cups half-and-half
                                                2 cups milk
                                                1 1/ 2 pints shucked oysters and liquor
                                                2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
                                                2 cups thinly sliced raw spinach leaves
                                                Salt and black pepper
                                                1 Tbs. butter (optional)
                                                Oyster crackers to serve with stew

In a large heavy saucepan or soup kettle, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel, crumble and reserve. Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of drippings from the skillet.

Add the leek and celery and saute over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the cayenne pepper.

Add the half-and-half and the milk and bring to a simmer. Add the oysters (cut large ones in half) and the Worcestershire sauce. Return to a simmer. Stir in the spinach and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the spinach is just wilted and the oysters are cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Swirl in the optional butter, if used, and serve immediately in large, shallow bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with the reserved bacon.

skylar0ne

• Total Posts: 473
                                                  RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 4:11 PM (permalink)
                                                  These posts are whetting my appetite like you would wouldn't believe. I'm with the Mayor on the whole belly clams, I was on Cape Cod a couple of weeks ago and had some...yummy! And the scallops everyone's talking about are awesome too, I love those grilled. I guess the only seafood I'm not really crazy about would be the oysters. I like the taste, but not the texture.

Poverty Pete

RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 5:32 PM (permalink)
                                                    Mayhaw Man,
                                                    While you were in that area, did you ever make it to San Felipe, the home of the fish taco?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6217
                                                      RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Sun, 10/26/03 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                                      Oh my goodness, there isn't a creature in the water that I do not adore. Opah, tuna, striped bass, Dover sole, turbot, halibut, catfish, King crab, Dunginess crab, oysters, clams, scallops, sea urchin.........on and on and on. I'll make it baked, broiled, pan-fried, grilled, steamed, anyway! Never met a fish I didn't love to cook!

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                                        RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Mon, 10/27/03 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Mayhaw Man,
                                                        While you were in that area, did you ever make it to San Felipe, the home of the fish taco?

We used to camp there when I was a little kid. The tide would go out for miles and there would be millions of shells and sand dollars...it was like a dream.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                                                          • Location: Lexington, KY
                                                          RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Mon, 10/27/03 3:23 AM (permalink)
                                                          I ate my first oysters in the late 70s on a visit to Birmingham, Alabama. Oliver Wintzell, founder of the original Wintzell's in Mobile had opened a second Wintzell's in Birmingham. He was at the restaurant the evening I was there, shucking at the raw bar and telling jokes to the large crowd waiting to be seated. I sampled and fell in love with oysters on the half shell that night. It wasn't long before I tried pan fried oysters, and for years they were my favorite food.

Incidentally, Jane and Michael included Mobile's original Wintzell's Oyster House in the most recent edition of ROADFOOD

The lofty oyster remains a favorite food, but I'm far from the coast and rarely get to enjoy them fresh (I only like them fresh). On a Charleston vist a few years ago, I was unable to find raw oysters on the shell. I was told that few businesses are now willing to risk exposure to liability on such an uncertain harvest. Some seafood establishments that had sold them raw on the shell were, however, offering them steamed.

For a while I knew a retired minister turned commercial oysterman who supplied his harvest of oysters to 3 Mt. Pleasant (the town across the Cooper River from old Charleston) restaurants. He would tell me where to go for his oysters, and if I could give him a definite eating place and time, he would phone the cooks and ask them to take care of me. Boy, those were the days!

Fortunately, I'm going to Charleston for a few days in early November and will be looking for the best oysters in town. Since recent Charleston visits were in summer months, I don't know who's doing a good job with pan fried oysters right now. And I don't know if anyone in the area still servs them raw on the shell (except Hyman's). Any suggestions, gang?

familydok

• Total Posts: 231
                                                            • Location: Harrells & Topsail B,NC & Murrells Inlet,SC
                                                            RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Seafood? Mon, 10/27/03 5:53 AM (permalink)
                                                            I have not met a seafood I didn't like! It may be raw, steamed, fried,etc. A good Spanish paella, seafood stew or soup is hard to beat! I'll always eat a Calabash fried combo.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 115

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com