Hot!What's happened to the forum traffic on this site?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5117
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 12:49:38 (permalink)
bill voss

Yeah, but if I can reach you, I can smack you.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4708
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 12:51:49 (permalink)
that's my dad
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 433
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 12:55:56 (permalink)
Tony Bad

...and I don't want to have to stop this car! 
Hmm, the Mets are in Florida, Flo's hasn't opened yet, I REALLY wish I didn't watch Goodfellas again the other night 

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 13:15:18 (permalink)
MacTAC

Tony Bad

...and I don't want to have to stop this car! 
Hmm, the Mets are in Florida, Flo's hasn't opened yet, I REALLY wish I didn't watch Goodfellas again the other night 

Flo's is covered in snow. I am looking forward to Flo's...the Mets...not so much.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4590
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 13:19:20 (permalink)
Tony Bad

MacTAC

Aw, c'mon Dad, just a little wordplay.

I am not worried about you MacTAC...but those other kids are always scrapping...and I don't want to have to stop this car! 

Always playing favorites with the Long Islanders.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 13:21:17 (permalink)
We have to stick together, Joe, everyone else hates us.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4708
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 13:50:45 (permalink)
MacTAC

We have to stick together, Joe, everyone else hates us.

even New Jerseyites?
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 13:53:48 (permalink)
bill voss

even New Jerseyites?
Snooki loves us...

kishkaeater
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 15:57:16 (permalink)
I'm hoping that Chewy gets himself a new cameraman/woman.

I miss those mouth watering pictures and descriptions.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 16:29:16 (permalink)
I just can't imagine anybody not liking Tony Bad.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 16:57:25 (permalink)
joerogo

Me neither . My mom says I am wonderful.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6284
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 17:26:06 (permalink)
kishkaeater

I'm hoping that Chewy gets himself a new cameraman/woman.

I miss those mouth watering pictures and descriptions.

He hopes so too, as he doesn't want to buy an expensive camera and have it walk out the door!
ME.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/21 18:56:59 (permalink)
Tony Bad

joerogo

Me neither . My mom says I am wonderful.

See!  There's two of us.  And I'll bet you didn't even have to pay her.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/22 08:27:24 (permalink)
Too clicky-----knock it off. 
Voss, Bad, Rogo, Mactac---report to the principals office.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.  Put that
in your pipe and smoke it. How come youse guys ain't talking about food?

iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2014/08/05 18:38:05 (permalink)
Todays harvest after a few minutes worth of work...............
TONS more on the tree but I cant quite reach them all but I guarantee I will get them! 

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15499
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2014/08/05 21:35:47 (permalink)
One of the few things I do miss about SoCal are the Avocados. The pick-up trucks on the street courners (out in Fontana and Rialto) had the smaller Black ones for 10 for $1 at the height of the season. And YOU-Pick Valermo and Pearblossom Cherries were a Buck a lb. Finding those Orchards back in the Devils PunchBowl area could be a challenge, but it was fun !
The rest I don't miss so much.
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/10 12:20:12 (permalink)
I wasnt sure where or how to start a new post so here goes.......Please move to the appropriate place.
I LOVE cheese and have plenty of it always on hand but for Christmas I received a Hickory Farms giftpack of cheese and this one was included......
I was the most vile tasting cheese I have ever eaten....  DRY VILE and downright nasty!!  I took one bite and almost vomited.

iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/10 12:20:12 (permalink)
I wasnt sure where or how to start a new post so here goes.......Please move to the appropriate place.
I LOVE cheese and have plenty of it always on hand but for Christmas I received a Hickory Farms giftpack of cheese and this one was included......
I was the most vile tasting cheese I have ever eaten....  DRY VILE and downright nasty!!  I took one bite and almost vomited.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3177
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/11 12:11:19 (permalink)
What you received many people would not consider cheese.  Wikipedia defined it as Processed cheese (also known as prepared cheese, cheese product, plastic cheese, or cheese singles) is a food product made from cheese (and sometimes other, unfermented, dairy by-product ingredients); plus emulsifiers, saturated vegetable oils, extra salt, food colorings, and/or whey or sugar. As a result, many flavors, colors, and textures of processed cheese exist. Its invention is credited to Walter Gerber of Thun, Switzerland, in 1911.
Now me, I like burger with Velveeta on it every now and then (waaaay too much salt though) but I would never think of it as cheese. I'm guessing you threw it out. If not, melt it with some Rotel and make a cheezy (sic) dipping sauce for the football playoffs. After a few beers, you might enjoy it.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8923
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/11 14:28:49 (permalink)
The minute i saw Hickory Farms, I knew it was a loser.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/11 16:00:27 (permalink)
If you want to get some really good cheese, go here.  https://www.fromages.com/en/  Pricey, yes, but the cheese is absolutely superb.  Been buying from them for years.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2899
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/11 20:33:19 (permalink)
Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse, but for us old-timers, how much is there really to say about chili? I have gone from chatting to using this forum as research, especially the Trip Reports and Where Should I Eat? I trust the lot of you much more than I trust Yelp. I also use the forum for cooking questions and random puzzlers.

And yes, I can't afford road trips right now.

My guess would be that newbies are confronted with a lot of inside jokes and banter about a post from 2 years ago. Maybe the Glee Club could set up a Welcome Wagon and when you see new people, include them and encourage them. I'm sure some of you do that already.

OK, I'm off to post my cooking question.

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 970
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/16 17:10:59 (permalink)
When I joined 9 years ago this place was on fire.

I know that, personally, I cut way back on posting (actually, stopped posting altogether for a while) when the switch to the new forum occurred. 
Couldn't get the new forum to work and couldn't get any help.  Eventually gave up.

That was long ago.  In more recent years the technology seems to work better ... my system, the forum, my browsers etc.
I think we lost people and interest though.

Certainly there is a momentum, a synergy, that having a certain amount of actively posting members provides ... both having them - and the volume of their posts ... where the effect is greater than the sum of it's parts.

What would attract more new members?  Like I say, it is a "momentum game".

A few SUGGESTIONS ...

More "bricks & mortar" restaurant people might be had by making a section on that topic. 
 That is something I was curious about ... some time ago I thought that the Restaurant Professionals Forum was going to be split so that posts about brick & mortar restaurants would be in one section and mobile & trucks would be in another (???). 
I like bricks and mortar discussion but have a hard time wading thru and/or relating to the mobile stuff.  All the mobile stuff is quite interesting mind you, but not much for me to post about.

And along those lines, maybe a section for "front of the house" and "back of the house" separately; in addition to a General section for (brick & mortar) restaurants (and the separate Mobile section).  At first blush, it might seem that would split already thin postings ... but I think that in reality it gives a more focused "home" for those who work in the kitchen or on the floor ... and the general section provides some specific room/content for owners and managers ... but general reading as well.
There's a lot of folks who work in the business but who rarely see a specific welcome extended to them.

Anyhow, new membership aside ... I do know that if you post, and no follow-up posts (or replies) are posted by others, then there is much less incentive to check back regularly. 
So ... I guess for those of us that are here and don't do it already, if existing members nudged up their contributions, replies and generally checking in, that would provide a more engaging environment for both new and tenured members. 

Getting existing members to participate more closely to the time of each others posts might have some benefit.
What would get existing members to check-in en masse?  Not sure. 
A "happy hour" forum that encourages congenial, drink-in-hand, 2-for-1-drink-specials-and-appetizers kinda thinking?? 
Check in to the Happy Hour forum daily from 4pm to 7pm or at 11pm to 2am and get access to special advertiser coupons or some other time-specific enhancement?  Encourage threads that are a bit of "Ah ... interesting point, you must be posting this from the bar?" sort of discourse (hey, it is the age of handheld devices).
Ok ... this might be pretty off-the-wall kinda stuff ... but hey ... it's 5pm - Happy Hour, my beer is cold, dinner is in the oven, and I'm checking-in.  Happy Hour indeed.

post edited by Sonny Funzio - 2015/01/18 12:48:23
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 341
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/16 17:31:45 (permalink)
I feel your ideas are quite interesting and would like to see how they may develop. I know nothing about restaurant and food industry in general but would love to know something about it. I do respond sometimes to restaurant and food industry threads but not to those asking advice if I can't say anything pertinant.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2987
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/16 23:48:51 (permalink)
I don't care for the way topics are displayed in the new forum, especially for iPad. I don't visit as often because of it. Sorry, that's just the way it is.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 970
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/17 10:23:14 (permalink)
Mosca
I don't care for the way topics are displayed in the new forum, especially for iPad. I don't visit as often because of it. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Interesting.  The way of the world is going to handheld to a great degree ... not me, but many new potential members (and existing).   Understanding that it is a still a compromise ... s this forum made as effective as is possible for handheld device users?
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2987
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/18 09:13:06 (permalink)
I'll try posting a screen shot to show what I mean. The colors are unappealing, and the information is sparse and unreferenced. The reply field is crippled. There is just nothing that makes the forum useful, on iPad. It is hard to read, and hard to share to.

ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1513
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/18 11:07:28 (permalink)
Just speaking for myself there are two main reasons I don't post nearly as often. 
1. I felt I was focusing entirely too much on food in general to the detriment of my health.
2. Financial changes in the last few year have curtailed travel and eating out dramatically.

David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2166
Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2015/01/18 11:35:43 (permalink)
It has been almost 11 years since I have started posting here. This was the first place I posted anything. All of a sudden, I was a published author of sorts! But over the years health issues and the effects of a down economy dampened the interest in roadfood. Search engines keep serving up hits to Roadfood when researching any food-related matter. But the spammers are for the most part gone, probably due to spam blocking features of the forum software. So are the large number of onesie-twosie posters who would contribute to a topic, then never return. Then, there comes a point where everything that needs documenting has been done and only maintenance is necessary. Its pretty hard to come across a new food establishment and know if this will be a Roadfood place or a business failure.

The Yelp site is now my first choice when I am looking for a certain type of food in a specified area, followed by Roadfood. The reviews are often suspect, but many, many more restaurants are reviewed over there. The biggest draw for me is the huge number of restaurants for which there are reviews. Yelp seems to help the process along by buying lists a businesses in a certain ZIP code. They leave the first poster to describe the place for them, unless the list they buy also has a field for the type of restaurant it is. Now when you want to search for buffets in Albany, NY it gives you quite a few results, though they have to be read to insure they really are a buffet.

Changing Times
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->