Hot!What's happened to the forum traffic on this site?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1512
2011/02/12 11:43:20 (permalink)

What's happened to the forum traffic on this site?

It's seems as though the amount of posts is tremendously lower compared to the past. Did I miss some significant event that drove people away? Perhaps people have tired of the subject matter over the years and have moved along to different sites. I hate to see this happen as the roadfood forums were and still are a daily stop for me.
Charlie

135 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 12:18:10 (permalink)
    I agree, kind of frustrates me. I truely believe this is the best Internet Food forum, so go figure!
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 12:28:18 (permalink)
    I'm pretty new at this forum and only came here because Mar often talked about the food and interesting folks who posted here.  I wanted to see what she was talking about. 
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 13:21:13 (permalink)
    Dimmie---don't believe a word Mar tells you. There are no interesting people on Roadfood.  Take for example----old what's-his-name, you know who I mean---now he sure isn't interesting.  Then there is........
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 13:24:04 (permalink)
    I was away for quite a while and recently have come back. Perhaps if I had been here all along it wouldn't be so noticeable, but I find the site a lot harder to use now.  For example, I have a lot of trouble posting pictures which I didn't have before.  Some even seem to post (they are there as I am composing the post) but then don't (they aren't there in what gets posted).  It's frustrating and limits my desire to post.
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 13:38:23 (permalink)
    the ancient mariner

Dimmie---don't believe a word Mar tells you. There are no interesting people on Roadfood.  Take for example----old what's-his-name, you know who I mean---now he sure isn't interesting.  Then there is........

I tend to agree with you.... old what's-his-name isn't interesting at all.

I'm beginning to think Mar straight-out lied to me about everything! " />
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6413
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 13:59:38 (permalink)
    Facebook has sucked a lot of time away from many of the message boards I frequent so it is not just Roadfood.com. That is one major change in Internet usage that boomed over the past couple of years. Facebook has also kind of scattered people. Here you make friends through postings. On Facebook you have to engage a friend somehow, some way outside of Facebook before engaging on Facebook.

Facebook has some quasi food groups but even though groups can have discussion boards that aspect has never caught on much. All the action takes place on people's individual Wall Profile pages and the aggregate Home page that gathers in all friends' comments.

As for posting photos nothing has really changed. I only wish everyone would use the IMG tags and files that end in .jpg otherwise they cannot be viewed on iPads and iPhones, and I am using my iPad more and more now especially when I am on the road, and I am on the road a lot more. Also, the forum software still has some bugs when using the iPad. The quote messages doesn't work. When I encounter those problems I usually just bail out and say to myself I'll check another time only once visited once forgot and no later followup.

The elimination of any political discussion in the Miscellaneous also diminished the passion for quite a few. So there is some resignation and reluctance for some to engage in posting anything when having to be so PC all the time. So there is good and bad in that decision.

The economy? Restaurant patronage took a big hit the past few years. It only stands to reason that corresponding discussion and reportage of restaurants would take a proportional hit.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8669
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 14:01:37 (permalink)
    I think that we are not seeing nearly as many trip reports, probably due to the economy, and those always sparked much conversation. We are seeing alot more non roadfood related discussions, and while I participate in some, its not about food, and frankly might not be interesting to some. Some people, like BT said, are finding the changed site harder to navigate for one reason or another. And there is so much talk about stuff like canned chili, etc, that those type of subjects may have driven people away. I miss the days when our members would write about going out to their favorite roadfood restaurant in their town and sharing the yummy details.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 14:11:38 (permalink)
    I heard my name being used. 
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 16:36:30 (permalink)
    mar52

I heard my name being used. 

Sorry Mar but I could not tell a lie.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 16:45:24 (permalink)
    Well, I've certainly done my part over the years.  I've tried to keep my comments to just the subject matter of roadfood restaurants with only a few detours here and there, when I felt I had something to contribute.

I guess I could write my area recommendations all over again, but they're here on the site for everyone to see.

Actually I haven't found any roadfood jewels in the rough around my area of western Kentucky/Southern Indiana for a while.  I think I've mined them all.

As to trip reports, when Carolina Bob left the site and Buffetbuster and Wandering Jew and a few others slowed down their pace of reporting, they left a vacuum.  Those acts are hard to follow in terms of information, narrative quality, and entertainment.

If anyone wants to post a pictorial trip report like the one that Carolina Bob and I did last July, let me know.  I'd be happy to play host and do it again.

post edited by Louis - 2011/02/12 16:47:28
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 17:49:32 (permalink)
    Why not ask the man...Stephen Rushmore, are the postings and topics down?
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4566
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 20:45:40 (permalink)
    Did anyone listen to the last thread?  NO!  Save your breadth.

This site is no longer about Roadfood.  It's just a bunch of us Roadfooders who enjoy each others company.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 22:21:37 (permalink)
    I'm still here.
    always will be.
     this is still the best food site on the internet.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 22:23:49 (permalink)
    just noticed 1500 posts!
    GO GET 'EM ROADFOOD!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 22:39:42 (permalink)
    annpeeples

I miss the days when our members would write about going out to their favorite roadfood restaurant in their town and sharing the yummy details.

That's one reason I wandered away:  Unless you maybe live in New York (even in SF, I have my faves that I tend to go back to all the time), once you've posted about your local spots a few times, there doesn't seem like a lot more to say.  And I pretty much am in a rut even when I travel these days:  San Francisco, Tucson, New York, New Orleans, Ormond Beach (FL), every so often Chicago.  That's it--and I posted about my eating adventures in those places years ago and felt like I was repeating myself.

One other thing:  YELP.  When I'm considering trying a new place, for the last few years I always check YELP.  And so I try to contribute to that site by writing reviews of places I'm familiar with for the benefit of others.  It's a diversion from Roadfood.  And maybe Roadfood should consider adding a format like that offering multiple reviews of specific restaurants.
    post edited by BT - 2011/02/12 22:44:11
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6413
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/12 23:18:58 (permalink)
    YELP. There's a thought. In the past couple of years smart phones have gotten very popular and apps like YELP, Urbanspoon and several others have become a go to source via smart phones while on the road and out and about. Just a lot more foodie source competition.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8669
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/13 06:00:08 (permalink)
    This site is still my number one source for suggestions of where to eat in a city I am unfamiliar with. I have gotten to know the people on here over the last five years, and trust their opinions highly.Also, what joerogo said- I enjoy the company. I am sorry to have seen some people go, but there have been wonderful others that have joined. And I have learned to ignore the subjects that dont interest me and embrace the ones that do. Woo-Hoo, sk bob!!!
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/13 08:46:11 (permalink)
    annpeeples

This site is still my number one source for suggestions of where to eat in a city I am unfamiliar with. I have gotten to know the people on here over the last five years, and trust their opinions highly.Also, what joerogo said- I enjoy the company. I am sorry to have seen some people go, but there have been wonderful others that have joined. And I have learned to ignore the subjects that dont interest me and embrace the ones that do. Woo-Hoo, sk bob!!!

I agree Ann. I enjoy and look forward to checking out roadfood each day. Sometimes I post, sometimes I don't but I always log on and read posts every day. I use Facebook to keep in touch with faraway friends and relatives but I don't go on every day nor do I post my every silly though for all the world to see.
    I'm a big supporter of "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    I personally haven't had any problems each time the software has been upgraded. When things change and I have to learn something new it exercises my brain.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/13 09:19:14 (permalink)
    Soon I will celebrate my ten year anniversary with Roadfood.  Over the years I have seen a bunch of folks come and go.  Some continues to contribute, some leave and some becomes not interested anymore.  That is very understandable.  Pretty soon some have nothing else to contribute. 

I have enjoyed my tenure on this site and even though I travel less now than what I use to, I still find certain threads, post and etc very valuable.  I have met many friends on this site that otherwise I would have never known.  Besides the enjoyment of relating my thoughts, meeting these friends have been my gain.  I certainly appreciate that and them.  At this point, they are much to numerous to name.

Change is one of the value's of Roadfood.  Restaurants come and go, experiences come and go and changes of taste come and go.  That is the way of life.  I have seen the site improve over the ten years I have worked with Roadfood.  Some have been a little bit more difficult to adjust to but we all adjust.

Cheers my Roadfood friends and lets continue to improve the site with solid threads and post.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/13 16:27:22 (permalink)
    Louis

I guess I could write my area recommendations all over again, but they're here on the site for everyone to see.

Actually I haven't found any roadfood jewels in the rough around my area of western Kentucky/Southern Indiana for a while.  I think I've mined them all.

BT
    Unless you maybe live in New York...once you've posted about your local spots a few times, there doesn't seem like a lot more to say.  And I pretty much am in a rut even when I travel these days...and I posted about my eating adventures in those places years ago and felt like I was repeating myself.

I think that, for many posters, such is precisely the case (and commend both BT and Louis for succinctly stating as much). It's like a cocktail party conversation about water skiing. Sure, you could contribute about that time you went up to the lake...maybe even drop some knowledge on the types of new skis your neighbor uses. But when you're tapped-out in terms of what you can contribute to that conversation, you're tapped out (lest you be branded that blowhard guest whom keeps repeating the same story [and you know who you are, Tony Bad!]).

That said, that doesn't mean that once active posters aren't still active but now in a different capacity. As annpeeples posted above, "this site is still my number one source for suggestions of where to eat in a city I am unfamiliar." I know that such certainly categorizes me. I've already contributed, to-date, what I know about "where to eat" here or there (and update such as applicable) but now most often come to the site to gain and benefit from those whom "water ski" more than I and so I will know where best to eat next time near the lake. This is certainly not a bad thing.

As the saying goes, "not a sermon, just a thought."
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/13 17:07:33 (permalink)
    i95

But when you're tapped-out in terms of what you can contribute to that conversation, you're tapped out (lest you be branded that blowhard guest whom keeps repeating the same story [and you know who you are, Tony Bad!]).

You mean you don't like the story about the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Or when I got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Or how about the ones about how I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple times until you told me not to anymore? None of them? 

I am hurt.

MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/13 18:30:10 (permalink)
    Phil? PHIL? Phil Collins, is that you?

He just won the Pro Am at Pebble Beach, in real life...
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/13 21:25:13 (permalink)
    Hello all ,
    More about meeting fellow roadfooders to me these days , FB takes a lot of people away from the websites ,  and the economy , too probably .
    Cheers
    Benzee
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/13 21:35:54 (permalink)
    Forum posting is down about 50% from the peak of several years ago.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/14 02:12:05 (permalink)
    IMHO, one of the issues is that newbees don't have any primer of how to use and navigate thru the site. The search function is very hard to find and use properly. I've been clamoring for years that we need a "Primer" on here to educate new members on how to navigate and that will help increase posters. We have many more Lurkers than posters and I believe one of the reasons is the intimidating nature of the posting process and fear of not getting their post  in the right place. I still have difficulty figuring out how to get into the search function. Make it easier Stephen for new and old alike! 
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/02/14 02:13:41
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/14 07:54:09 (permalink)
    Tony Bad
    You mean you don't like the story about the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show?

Oh, I wish that was the only "belly-button trick" of which you pride yourself, Randon, er...Tony (CLICK).

agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/14 09:10:42 (permalink)
    i95

Tony Bad
    You mean you don't like the story about the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show?

Oh, I wish that was the only "belly-button trick" of which you pride yourself, Randon, er...Tony (CLICK).

" />
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/14 12:07:30 (permalink)
    i95

Tony Bad

Oh my.  It's kind of hard to un-see that.  

Just for the record, is it wrong to forward that video along to an ex-girlfriend (on Valentine's Day) who might be a little jealous of the subject's cup size?
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    Re:What's happened to the forum traffic on this site? 2011/02/14 12:27:09 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

Just for the record, is it wrong to forward that video along to an ex-girlfriend (on Valentine's Day) who might be a little jealous of the subject's cup size?
    Yes.

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1