What's hot in Des Moines these days?

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5137
2012/04/19 10:18:04 (permalink)

What's hot in Des Moines these days?

Trzhotel, I'm lookin' at you...

A week from today I'll be westbound and down for my annual trip to Des Moines and I'm wondering if there's anything new since this time last year.  I have tentative plans that will take me to the vicinity of Findlay's Smokehouse on Indianola Avenue; is it worth a stop?  Or should I have lunch somewhere else around that area?  Thanks! 

Brad

4 Replies Related Threads

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re:What's hot in Des Moines these days? 2012/04/19 11:12:01 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Trzhotel, I'm lookin' at you...

A week from today I'll be westbound and down for my annual trip to Des Moines and I'm wondering if there's anything new since this time last year.  I have tentative plans that will take me to the vicinity of Findlay's Smokehouse on Indianola Avenue; is it worth a stop?  Or should I have lunch somewhere else around that area?  Thanks! 

Brad

Hope to hear from this thread, I have to fly to Des Moines and go to Ankeny next month and hope to find some Roadfood worthy places!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:What's hot in Des Moines these days? 2012/04/19 13:00:57 (permalink)
    Kevin, since you'll be northbound from Des Moines you could stop in at Smokey D's for some barbecue (IIRC you're a KCBS judge).  I had a pretty good meal there last year:

One place I've always wanted to check out is Chuck's but I've never been able to convince the rest of my friends to go there because of the size of the group.
    trzhotel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    Re:What's hot in Des Moines these days? 2012/04/19 18:46:11 (permalink)
    Most of my recommendations are for restaurants in rural Iowa, there are tons of people with opinions about places in Des Moines. Let me know if you are going through any odd part of Iowa.

I would only hit Findlays if I had already eaten at B&B Grocery on Hartford.

The Full Court Press places are a lot of things, but they are all Bar/Restaurants that put equal emphasis on beer or other libations along with food. They can handle groups, but get busy at odd times, especially the after work happy hour time. They serve large menus at each place some items are served at multiple locations for no apparent reason, lots of average stuff goes along with the specialties at each place.
    http://fullcourtpressdm.com/

There was some sort of weird mind merge in the voters of the latest Cityview Best of Des Moines lists:
    Best Restaurant: Centro
    Best Italian Restaurant: Tursi's Latin King
    Best Pizza: Gusto Pizza Co.
    It seems legitimate at first glance, but Centro is the best restaurant overall by selling mostly pizza and Italian food. Gusto serves meatball sandwiches and pasta with pizza. The the best overall restaurant wasn't the best pizza or Italian place, while the best pizza place also serves Italian.

Beaverdale landmark ice-cream place Snookies Malt Shop is expected to be sold after this summer season is over. It could really be something if the new owners took care of the interior and served good food or anything special instead of just waiting for the loyal crowds to show up every summer. The owners claim to get offers to buy the place once a week during the season.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:What's hot in Des Moines these days? 2012/04/20 10:09:25 (permalink)
    trzhotel
    Let me know if you are going through any odd part of Iowa.

No, I'm only going through the even parts this time.

I do have a few restaurants lined up but the only one I'm planning on stopping at for sure is the Andrew Cafe.  They cut up whole chickens instead of buying parts, the chicken and tenderloins are hand-breaded, and the owner sent a nice reply to my inquiry.

Other possible stops are Tammy Jo's Place in Orangeville (IL), the Island Cafe in Sabula, the Decker Hotel in Maquoketa, the Skillet Cafe in Mt. Vernon, Shuey's Restaurant in Shueyville, Georgioz in Colfax, and Tamale's Industry in Des Moines.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1