Hot!What's new in Richmond, VA?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/05/22 19:59:25 (permalink)
i95
P.S. Have you been there NascarDad

Nope, I have not been.  Generally if it is south of the river it's a bridge too far for a commuting day.  ;)  I can probably count on 2 hands the places south of the river I have been, unless you count Petersburg too

Benny's BBQ is south of the river, they however will be moving soon to the Stony Point Fashion Center (and tripling their space and seating) That is good since maybe they will start doing their onion rings for lunch, right now they only do them for dinner.
I will rack my brain to see if I can think of anywhere else roadfood down there. 

A lot of places I make that journey for are ethnic that you cant find in the West End.  For example - Korean (88 Garden) and Spanish (Cafe Pandulche on Turner Road )
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/06/11 12:11:10 (permalink)
Anyone tried Lucille's http://www.lucillesoutherncuisine.com/menu.html at either their original or new location?  I am sometimes in that neighborhood (Brook road in particular) and wonder whether its worth a stop.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/06/17 10:46:04 (permalink)
i95

This is an old thread but still appropiate to inquire whether any of our central Virginia posters (NascarDad, Williamsburger, et. al) have yet patronned... 

Sunset Grill  (graphic removed)

...located in Richmond, Virginia's West End and near Short Pump (1601 Hockett Road in Manakin-Sabot -- near the Short Pump Town Center).

Since i95 asked directly I'll answer - I live in Williamsburg and work in Richmond, but don't have a car, usually, so I'm very limited in so far as what I can get to. I also tend to avoid the Short Pump shopping area like the plague. So, no, I've not tried this place. But I may be going that way soon, so I'll see if it works out. Thanks for the recomendation.

Not new, but I tried the beef ribs at Extra Billy's (http://www.extrabillys.com/) last weekend. OMG! Sweet, smokey, tender and HUGE! One of the best things I've ever eaten. Really.

Cathy
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/06/17 11:23:24 (permalink)
Re: Positive Vibe - I concur. They have excellent food. All their wait staff are volunteers. They've been doing good things for awhile.
They also have a second location (more short order type stuff) downtown in my workplace - the Library of Virginia.
Cathy
mike72988
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/07/16 14:04:57 (permalink)
Just found this site.  Love it!  Also found a new favorite restaurant in Richmond...Belvidere at Broad.  Doesn't look like much, with a bus stop right outside the front door on Broad, but the food is great!  Here's the link:  thebelvidere dot com
post edited by mike72988 - 2011/07/16 14:06:09
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/07/18 08:10:24 (permalink)
I revisited somewhere I hadn't been in years, last time I didn't really give it a full perusal because it was packed and I was late for work.

The place in question, well it's a gas station , and no NOT the old Texaco Cafe on Nuckols (which is now an Exxon and the cafeteria style food is much poorer quality than it used to be)

No, this place is a little further out, on Ashland road near I64, the Wise Choice Citgo

Now a lot of gas stations round here have fried chicken and do a good business at lunch time especially with the landscapers, etc. But this place has real good fried chicken; a thinner  flour based coating with tender chicken, I beleive it is pressure cooked, but doesn't taste like KFC's

Also had some of their fried fish (think it was whiting) and it was delicious, and some type of warm buttermilk donut thing (sorry though no spoonbread).

Really good grab and go roadfood.  Gas is a bit more expensive there usually, but its popular with the truckers, and the good food is the reason.

I had some pictures on my phone but can't seem to find them.  Odd.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/07/18 08:58:39 (permalink)
Hmm having problem editing my previous post but I found a Facebook page for WISE Choice convenience store

http://www.facebook.com/p...e/132833249720?sk=wall

Odd I could only find this FB page through articles, searching on FB itself for Wise Choice Rockville (and dozens of other combos) got me nothing.

Also found a blog post about them, apparently their potato wedges are good too , and their chicken finger  are considered some of the best (and biggest)  in the area as well (and of course my favorite the fried chicken.

http://whinemedineme.word...ders-in-richmond-area/

They have a different special every day, I know Friday's it is the fried fish.  

I should also mention to i95 that it is right up the road maybe a mile from the previously mentioned Sunset Grill.
post edited by NascarDad - 2011/07/18 09:01:28
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/07/19 16:10:38 (permalink)
NascarDad 

Now a lot of gas stations round here have fried chicken and do a good business at lunch time especially with the landscapers, etc. But this place has real good fried chicken; a thinner  flour based coating with tender chicken, I beleive it is pressure cooked, but doesn't taste like KFC's

Sounds a bit like the chicken from the gas station my Dad owned years back. I look forward to trying it when I can.

Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/07/19 16:13:13 (permalink)
mike72988

Just found this site.  Love it!  Also found a new favorite restaurant in Richmond...Belvidere at Broad.  Doesn't look like much, with a bus stop right outside the front door on Broad, but the food is great!  Here's the link:  thebelvidere dot com

Mike,
Glad you found Roadfood. You might want to look around the site some more and get a better feel for the vibe. While the place you posted about looks like a really nice place (and I've hear good things about it) it probably doesn't classify as roadfood.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8649
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/07/19 16:35:33 (permalink)
Actually, there are quite a few high end, one of a kind restaurants that are considered Roadfood on this site.I would definaely give it a try.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/08/19 14:28:08 (permalink)
A new place I want to try - south of the James , east of Petersburg, in Disputanta.   Place is called Bubba's Chikin and Thangs

Read a good review on it, has only been open for a few weeks and having troubles - their verizon line was cut so they cant do credit cards at the moment. That is actually how I saw the place originally was their owner on the news talking about how he has lost most of his business because people dont carry cash anymore.

I have heard their fried chicken is pretty good.  They also have burgers and other "thangs"

Their address is 17607 James River Drive (Route 10) You wont have problems finding it - .  - it's painted BRIGHT YELLOW, almost School bus yellow.

Of course part of it for me is that Kings in Petersburg has pretty good fried chicken (or I remember it that way, havent been in a decade) and also have to pass several Golden Skillets on the way there too.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/08/22 15:38:59 (permalink)
Could you double check the location? Disputanta is on Rt. 460.
audilover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/08/22 21:34:44 (permalink)
Try Longstreets in Petersburg, VA (only about 20 min south of Richmond). They have fantastic food. They have a nice bar, but they are best known for their lunch.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/08/27 20:54:49 (permalink)
Williamsburger

Could you double check the location? Disputanta is on Rt. 460.

I think its just the mailing address, the article I found on the place says on route 10 too.

Dont have the link handy , my tabs have all changed considerably since Monday with the quake near my house and the hurricane preps.  Looks like Willaismburg is getting hammered, so be careful out there.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/09/07 16:04:40 (permalink)
NascarDad 

Looks like Willaismburg is getting hammered, so be careful out there.

Thank you. My DH and I and very well. We lost some food, but some friends lost their house to a tree. This puts all things in perspective.

I'm having a fever dream of doing a RF tour of South of the James starting at Surrey House and ending at Tanglewood Ordinary.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/11/05 12:14:07 (permalink)
I am patiently waiting for the Short Pump location of the Halligan Bar to open, along with the supposed West Broad location of Buz and Ned's that has been in the works for almost 2 years now.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/11/18 09:14:45 (permalink)
New out in Goochland County is a Mexican restaurant. (no, not Peppers, that placed closed probably because they made the blandest tacos I ever tasted)

Frida's Mexican Restaurante, which also has a location Parham, has opened in Goochland County. Looking forward to trying that even though Mexican is not necessarily my favorite

Aw Shucks is a gas station in Hylas (near the intersection of Ashland Road and Pouncey Tract) with an attached cafeteria style restaurant. So far they have pretty good fried  chicken (though I like the Wise Choice Citgo  down near I64 a bit better).  Right now also serving burgers and pizza and some breakfast items.  But next week they start serving more items including some sort of pork steak and fish.  They have only been opened for a couple of weeks; they also have a car wash if you are so inclined.  Also they have a decent beer selection for a c-store, I picked up some Legend Ale  and a 40 of Sam Adams Octoberfest to take home.

Halligan Bar's short pump location still not quite ready but getting close

No word on Buz and Ned's expanded location. They have had that location for 2 years now and not opened it.  It was originally promised in the Spring of 2010, then the summer, then the fall, then spring 2011, now on their website says "Late Summer 2011". . Changed contractors at least once, possibly more times. Who knows. 

Between Halligan and Buz in the west end , one of them may end up being my favorite Q joint, probably will end up to which I will get to go to first.

Which reminds me, the menu at the Hogshead Cafe has expanded a bit.  A bunch of good down home southern stuff on the (still small) menu now  so I will have to go back, especially since they have had oysters a lot lately.  And I have not tried their Memphis Rub ribs yet. They put their daily special blackboard on their FB page.

NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/11/20 00:17:39 (permalink)
I drove past Buz and Ned's new location today - work trucks , on the outside a lot of refuse and debris.  Doesnt look anywhere near opening,  but hey what do I know?

Since Halligan Bar also not yet open, I stopped at a new place called BurgerWorks, its at 10321 West Broad.   It does not appear to be associated with the Red Robin Burger Works outfit.  It IS associated with some DANG GOOD burgers. Not cheap but nothing in that neighborhood is.  And way better than 5 guys.

BurgerWorks also has cheese/bacon fries, fried dill pickles, and a killer milkshake. While I am not sure a Gouda/Bacon burger can count as roadfood, and it is not cheap, I will definitely be back there.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/11/22 13:35:06 (permalink)
Finally tried Hogshead Cafe and was not disappointed in the slightest.  Best food I have had in months at a restaurant.
Link to my post http://www.roadfood.com/F...chmond-VA-m675981.aspx

I may not ever get to try the new Buz and Ned's or Halligan , Hogshead is that good.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2011/12/21 13:36:23 (permalink)
I have tried Halligan Bar in short pump and it was pretty good , it was only their second day open so a few "shake down cruise" type issues, but pretty solid menu and service was top notch.  The kids loved the real fire engine in the place.

Been to Hogshead Cafe now like 7 times. Maybe more.  Also been to Burgerworks a bunch of times.  I have some friends that like both , and the family also loves both, so we are eating out more often

NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2012/01/09 10:48:23 (permalink)
Went to Hogshead again.  Loaded tater tots as an app, and a BLT Fried Green Tomato Shrimp Po-Boy.  Are you kidding me? that is off the charts!  Man I love this joint.

NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2012/02/08 13:57:41 (permalink)
Another on my To Do list, not really in Richmond but not too far from my neck of the woods , is the Barbeque Exchange in Gordonsville.  Whole Hog BBQ or so I hear.

From their website  http://bbqex.com/ it seems that coming up on Feb 16 (A Thursday I beleive) is Porkapalooza!  Too bad it is not President's Day, since I have off lol.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2012/02/09 14:12:23 (permalink)
I also wasn't sure if I should mention, because it's not really roadfood (unless your road is in Szechuan province ), but Peter Chang's new place opened this week.  I was one of the first to get in for lunch and it was amazing.   Try the Fried Pork Belly appetizer, you will not be disappointed.  

No ABC license yet, but the people who know say this place is going to be hell to get into within a week or two, so go now if you have any interest at all (apparently he is a big deal chef, though he himself is shy and not into the hype)
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2012/03/27 11:08:19 (permalink)
Buz and Ned's long awaited new location is set to open next week.  According to this news story, the venture nearly broke him

http://www.richmondbizsen...27/bigger-and-buzzier/
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1037
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2012/04/01 20:32:26 (permalink)
I completely agree about Peter Chang's, it is amazing. More to the point, my wife, who is Chinese, also agrees. But by now it is always packed.

When she first started spending a lot of time in Richmond there were no good Chinese restaurants. This time we also went to King of Szechuan. It had very good and authentic food. Unfortunately the service is also authentic, meaning slow and lackadaisical.

Last night we tried a little new hole in the wall place by the Short Pump Mall called Asia Garden. Its menu listed all the usual American Chinese dishes but also authentic dishes under Home Style Entree. A majority of the customers were Chinese and the food was very good.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2012/05/23 13:09:02 (permalink)
I have tried the new location for Buz and Ned's, they are still working things out with the ordering I think.  But the food was great and the waitresses friendly.

Dixie Chicken is now open down in Westover Hills area.  I want to go get some but they are closed from 2 to 4:30 on most days, which is my prime time to try new places (chance to look at menu, find the place, easier parking especially with my pickup, in and out quicker which is important when dining with a 4 year old). 
But I do know they have "southern buttermilk fried chicken (fried in lard), & pork belly sandwiches" and I do know they are in a bright yellow building that is shared with a laundry mat, next to a Valero, so maybe I will take a chance this weekend.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2012/05/23 13:10:45 (permalink)
Also I should not neglect another place I plan to visit soon, in Carytown - Dixie Donuts.   However I will wait for another month or so, when they add Korean Fried Chicken to their menu
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2013/01/12 19:03:40 (permalink)
I still have not made it to Dixie Donuts, but I have been to Dixie Chicken.  it was  maybe the best fried chicken I have ever had.

Dixie Chicken does their buttermilk brined chicken in real lard. And you can taste the difference. It is made when you order it, so call ahead if you are in a hurry because it takes awhile to make.  Still, worth the wait, but they are really only a takeout place, no sit down available and not a lot of places to stand. 

But since it is over an hour to get there from my place, and Hogshead cafe is  about half that, I am at the Hogshead almost weekly while I rarely get to Dixie Chicken.
post edited by NascarDad - 2013/01/12 19:06:20
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2013/01/12 19:14:50 (permalink)
New on my "To Try" list is a place that goes perfectly with the theme of Roadfood - The Rumbleseat Grill

It is in Goochland County just off I64 on the Manakin exit, on plaza drive.  Basically the road next to the Valero , where the old Country Folks Saloon, and Manakin Grill had been.

The website shows lots of old 50s cars in the parking lot.

Since it is near my regular roadfood takeout stop (the Wise Choice Citgo) I will probably give it a try the next time that the "oil store" (as my kids call it) is out of the fried fish or fried pork chop.
http://www.rumbleseatgrill.com
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:What's new in Richmond, VA? 2013/07/30 11:12:37 (permalink)
Updates -

Sadly Dixie Chicken is closed.  Their chicken was the tops and their pork belly sandwiches were great, but they had a hard time at the location, a very small parking lot, and their food was all made to order so took a long time.  They might try their hand at a truck, food trucks are gaining a lot of popularity in Richmond.

I finally made the trek out to Gordonsville (whch is much closer to Charlottesville than Richmond) to BBQ Exchange , and I have to say I WILL be back.  Even though the place was packed, it moved very quickly.  They filled your orders while you were in line, cafeteria style, not like Buz and Ned's where you have to wait after you order.  And the pork belly sammy at BBQ Exchange was excellent.
The muffins and donuts they had were good too. 

Been to Hogshead Cafe about a hundred times now, and still love that place.  When they have the brisket special, that is awesome, and ditto for their Smoked Prime Rib dip. Really, I prefer most of their non BBQ dishes, the BBQ is good but not as outstanding as say their Shrimp Po Boy...   I just tried Hogshead "Irish Nachos" special app, which are their homemade tater chips loaded with corned beef , kraut and cheese , its like a reuben almost, and it is fabulous. 

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1