What's next for Roadfood.com?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2126
2007/01/22 12:40:48 (permalink)

What's next for Roadfood.com?

Roadfood.com has come a long way since its inception seven years ago as a side project of mine during the height of the dot.com bubble. Thanks to the help of many, what started as a couple hundred unique visitors each month has exploded to over 1/4 million. The success of the site has exceeded even the highest expectations the Sterns and I set when we started the venture.

We have many ideas for the future direction of the web site, and we felt other people might appreciate being a part of the process. What do you think Roadfood.com should be doing to better itself?

82 Replies Related Threads

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 13:05:11 (permalink)
    Stephen Are we talking site changes or other additions to the Roadfood.com community?? I know a few people have mentioned the possibility of a roadfood.com calendar, complete with awesome pictures of great places to eat at. That might be something to add to the merchandise section. Site changes, maybe a regional forum, broken down into regions of the us & world Just some thoughts from listening to different commants made from different posters. CajunKing Donald
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4584
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 13:20:58 (permalink)
    I'd like to see a limited picture upload function that ones does not need to be a Insider to use.

There definitely needs to be a beverages forum added.

I'd like to see threads about cooking at home limited by policy to the recipes forum....ie if you want to post about the steak you cooked last night (and please do - lots of good threds about this sort of thing of late), don't post in the steak forum, post in the recipes forum.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 13:34:55 (permalink)
    Chowhound went to regional forums and I find that I don't read much there anymore, I like the forums based on subject and hearing opinons from other parts of the country.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2634
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 13:55:03 (permalink)
    Have you had a National Roadfood Day? Set up a special topic for planning and reporting experiences. We'll need T-shirts and other logo stuff, too. Include a map for participants to post their locations.

This idea is based on the National Smoke Day sponsored by The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/6300076813
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 14:23:15 (permalink)
    There are many great recipes that get posted here. I would like to see a section where you could archive these. Sometimes the search function isn't all that helpfull. Chow Jim
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 14:38:10 (permalink)
    Just don't go the direction of Chowhound.com...ruined site.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 14:57:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Just don't go the direction of Chowhound.com...ruined site.
    What changes didn't you like about Chowhound?
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 15:53:15 (permalink)
    Well, as I said above, now that they have gone to regionalized forums I only read a few that interest me, before, I had it set up to read all the new posts so I read about all of the regions and I learned a great deal about regional foods. I like the Roadfood format because it is based on subject, it's always interesting to see a different viewpoint on a subject based on ones backround and regional experience.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 16:45:19 (permalink)
    I'd like to see new threads cross referenced to old threads covering the same or similar topics. There is a wealth of information sitting in archives that would help posters seeking information but unsure about using the search function.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4234
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 16:58:40 (permalink)
    Take the Regional Forum/Where Should I Eat and add a second section; "Where <i>I Have</i> Eaten" (or something like that). This would serve as a definitive forum for casual reviews that might not qualify as a Restaurant of the Day review. Currently, folks are placing these sorts of reviews along with trip logs and other related postings in the Miscellaneous/Food Related Forum where they get mixed up with all the other...well...Miscellaneous stuff. By creating a separate forum for reviews and trip logs and pairing it with the Where Should I Eat forum you have a perfect match of two related needs that will make it easier to locate restaurants in which you are interested. Most of all, don't go changing things just for the sake of change. You have a sophisticated yet easy to use site here with a high comfort level for even the most casual of users. If you can make the site better with certain changes I'm all in favor of it. If you're just trying to busy idle hands, try wood-working and see if that doesn't take care of most of it. Buddy
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5421
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 17:28:10 (permalink)
    I'd like to see new forum software, there are a lot of better programs out there. The search function sucks. "Currently, folks are placing these sorts of reviews along with trip logs and other related postings in the Miscellaneous/Food Related Forum where they get mixed up with all the other...well...Miscellaneous stuff." I agree "There definitely needs to be a beverages forum added. I'd like to see threads about cooking at home limited by policy to the recipes forum....i.e. if you want to post about the steak you cooked last night (and please do - lots of good threads about this sort of thing of late), don't post in the steak forum, post in the recipes forum. " Again, I agree. MikeS.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 17:51:19 (permalink)
    TJ & Mike if you are going to get "technical" would not the post go in misc food related? a picture is not a recipe. That being said and not wanting to start WWIII, maybe a forum for home cooking and a sub from there be pictures. On the subject of regional, I would like to amend my previous post about adding the regional forum. I think it would lead to people posting in "x" region and then others not looking at the post because they only look at "x" region. The way it is currently is better for a wide rounded view of said topic.
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 17:54:55 (permalink)
    I think a map page would be really cool. The map would have clickable links to 'real' reviews and content from the forums. I think you would need some basic way to differentiate 'real' stuff from forum stuff, I guess with just different icons. There is a ton of really useful information that users are submitting into the forums that is not readily available without some kind of geographic search. I see two basic approaches to getting the geographic information from the forum posts; parsing the user-submitted post text and allowing for users to intentionally add this information (i.e. optional fields on the post submission form(address/city/state/zip)). The optional fields approach would be pretty straight forward and the parsing approach probably wouldn't be that bad either. Look for a address/city/zip and if you don't find it, oh well... Even if you find addresses that aren't directly related, chances are they are closely related. Anyway, nice work with this site. I've had a lot of fun with it. My suggestions may have been self-evident, but hey you asked :) Dave
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8363
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 18:58:26 (permalink)
    I think the headings under "forums" need to be clearer...for instance,under the "roadfood"heading,restaurant professionals,restaurants,and then sub headings,i.e.steaks,fast food,whatever....then,under "non roadfood"non roadfood questions,recipes,remember when,etc.In other words,clear,consise rules about where to post what.When I was a new roadfooder,I found the forums confusing,and then was admonished for not putting topics in the correct spot.Thank goodness for the veterans that pointed me the way!!!
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 19:17:57 (permalink)
    Unless I’m just not doing it right, I think there should be an easier way for me to see my history. On other sites I can just log in and there is a spot to “doink” see all post by so and so or myself. It brings up a list my posts, not the threads mind you, my actual posts. This makes it quick and easy to decide if your interested enough in the subject to pull up the thread again….or if I was having one to many cocktails and would prefer not to read what people posted in response to me. Typically when I use the current search function I just get an error. I can see where it would be confusing to decide where to post pictures of food made at home. I guess I’ve tried to stick with the recipes and cooking thread, makes sense to me I guess but perhaps it could be labeled differently somehow. Hmmm, but it is hard not to post pictures of say a pulled pork butt under BBQ, as you know that’s where BBQ enthusiasts will most likely be looking. Who knows.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3727
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 19:18:27 (permalink)
    Theedge
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 19:34:35 (permalink)
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 19:36:36 (permalink)
    I agree,Theedge-the forum topics are not clearly defined enough...
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 20:19:23 (permalink)
    I am so in agreement with this. I think that it should be pointed out that there are guidelines on where to post and for a person to please follow the guidelines. (Maybe the guidelines should be more well defined.) That is the only thing that I admire about chowhound. If someone posts in the wrong place, it is almost immeditately put in the right forum. Another thing that I would really like is for the Recipe forum's name to be changed to include "My Home Cooking". I really do not like going to a forum and expecting a review of a restaurant and then to see pictures of someone's meal that they prepared last night. Having these photos and details all over the board does not add to Roadfoods at all. I think it would be great to have all those nice posts in one place.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 20:44:46 (permalink)
    Define,define,define!!!!!!!!!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 20:48:19 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2634
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 20:50:22 (permalink)
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 21:14:29 (permalink)
    Still debating my reply...
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 21:18:37 (permalink)
    Great ideas! Please keep them coming.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 22:01:27 (permalink)
    I have a couple of comments regarding suggestions already posted and an idea or two of my own. I would like to see a forum (or subset of a forum) dedicated to <b>TRIP REPORTS</b>. A suggested format would be available that allows for the creative writing efforts of some of our members to be presented or a set form used by those who prefer to 'fill in the blanks' with Photos inserted as desired. A redefining of FF and Chain needs to be done to stop a lot of hassles over which is which and where things should be posted. <u>Perhaps the whole <i>MISC. Section</i> should be redesigned to include more 'forums'</u> <b>1.</b><u>Humor and Light thought</u>. <b>2.</b><u>Travel Tips </u>-roads, hotel-motel, bargains <b>3.</b><u>Fast Food</u>- better defined <b>4.</b><u>Chain-Non Roadfood</u>- a touchy area with poor definition now <b>5.</b><u>Recipe File</u> with subsets that look like the Joy of Cooking Table of Contents <b>6.</b><u>Home-Cooking exercises</u>- Photo Reports, Journals of meals at home, Gardening <b>7.</b><u>Where should I eat ? forum</u> - expand the current one with sub headings --Regions? Menu? States? not sure of the answer <b>8.</b><u>Rest. Pro Forum</u>- require a second registration to POST. Must list name and address of business. All members can read, but only Pro's can post. <b>9.</b> As a moderator I would like to see the 'rules' be clearly defined and posted in a manner that EVERYONE reads them and knows what the 'rules' are. We spend a lot of time repeating ourselves over and over to explain things to a lot of folks. Perhaps including the rules on the registration form and requiring the applicant to check<u> " I have read and will comply with the rules governing posting on this site"</u>. I am <u>NOT</u> in favor of an 'approval of application' before allowing a new member to post, but we DO need to find a way to stop some of the trolling losers from hijacking an old member name or reregistering under a new fake name to use after they have been locked out of the site.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 22:23:58 (permalink)
    Well put,Al
    Theedge
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 22:29:49 (permalink)
    I think Al is on the right path. And what would be cool, and something that I have started on my own. Is a Roadfood 3 ring binder so you can print out and save information you would like to keep. I started my own little recipe binder with the little plastic sleeves to keep everything nice and neat. But wouldn't it be cool? An official binder with logo and index cards that match the threads? Oh yeah baby, now we're talking.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/22 22:46:37 (permalink)
    I would like to see when someone has replied to my post... there is another site I used to frequent that I could see my replies in a flash..that would be helpful.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4017
    RE: What's next for Roadfood.com? 2007/01/23 05:02:46 (permalink)
    I would love to see more of the Rodafood eating events in other areas. I know that's hard with the Stern's agenda but maybe it can be worked in with them or else some of the other principals. L.A< for example---I have visions of Langer's for breakfast, Original Tommy's for lunch, snacks at the Hong Kong Bakery and dinner at El Tepayac. I think as long as it's a few hundred miles or less, roadfoodies would fill the bus easily.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1