The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's on your steak?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44
Michael Stern

RE: What's on your steak? Sat, 03/13/04 5:35 AM (permalink)
I have a friend who, no matter how prime and juicy the steak may be, tops it with a few butter pats to melt as she slices. I'm a salt guy, if that, but as a matter of principle, I approve!

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
    RE: What's on your steak? Sat, 03/13/04 12:57 PM (permalink)
    One other thing I enjoy on steak is a mixture of sour cream and mustard. Very piquant on a nice rare steak.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
      RE: What's on your steak? Sat, 03/13/04 2:13 PM (permalink)
      loads of minced garlic sauteed with a little sugar..and some kosher salt.
      I also like to marinate my steaks for 2 days in italian or ranch dressing..amazing..frankly those are my marinades for everything meaty...

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: What's on your steak? Sat, 03/13/04 5:46 PM (permalink)
        Luckily I have 4 butcher shops (within Kent County) I go to and 3 out of 4 normally take care of me REALLY GOOD! My typical steak consists of a 1 1/2 inch slab of Porterhouse - well marbled! I cook this over charcoal with some hicory sticks added before I toss the steak on, along with a sprinkle of Lawrys Seasoning Salt on both sides. The steak comes out tasting awesome, but I like adding A-1 Steak Sauce on top of it! Oh ya, and it has to be Medium Rare, but in case of a few excessive brews it has come out medium (still acceptable).

Now if I have a budget crisis, still craving a steak I'll go with a cheaper one... Then I like to marinate it in either a Ranch dressing with fresh crushed garlic mixture or tomato sauce with fresh crushed garlic for a day... I'll then rinse off the marinade and charcoal cook it with hicory sticks, but add some sauteed onions and shrooms on top when it's done... Luckily the Morel Shrooms will be popping up soon and I'll be able to live without the steak for a couple weeks!

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: What's on your steak? Sat, 03/13/04 6:44 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Pwingsx

Ok, I confess -- when I grill a steak at home, I will douse it in Heinz ketchup. There's just something about the flavor of sweet tomatoes with half-raw (and that's how I like it) meat. It just mushes together so well in my mouth.

Of course, I practically eat ketchup with my ketchup. I'm addicted to it and all things tomato.

Why not take some 1/3" cuts of tomatos, soak them in garlic oil with maybe basil, wrap them in aluminum foil, and cook them on the low heat side of the grill? Put a loose stack together and maybe toss a slice of bacon on top? Should come out tasty once the steak is done!

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
            RE: What's on your steak? Sat, 03/13/04 11:04 PM (permalink)
            Another salt and pepper fan. On the rare occasion I want a topping on a steak, I grill it first and then rub with cut garlic, cover with chopped toasted walnuts and slices of brie cheese and stick under the broiler for about a minute until the cheese melts.

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
              RE: What's on your steak? Sun, 03/14/04 5:36 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by UncleVic

Luckily I have 4 butcher shops (within Kent County) I go to and 3 out of 4 normally take care of me REALLY GOOD! My typical steak consists of a 1 1/2 inch slab of Porterhouse - well marbled! I cook this over charcoal with some hicory sticks added before I toss the steak on, along with a sprinkle of Lawrys Seasoning Salt on both sides. The steak comes out tasting awesome, but I like adding A-1 Steak Sauce on top of it! Oh ya, and it has to be Medium Rare, but in case of a few excessive brews it has come out medium (still acceptable).

Now if I have a budget crisis, still craving a steak I'll go with a cheaper one... Then I like to marinate it in either a Ranch dressing with fresh crushed garlic mixture or tomato sauce with fresh crushed garlic for a day... I'll then rinse off the marinade and charcoal cook it with hicory sticks, but add some sauteed onions and shrooms on top when it's done... Luckily the Morel Shrooms will be popping up soon and I'll be able to live without the steak for a couple weeks!

UncleVic, you are indeed lucky to have 4, no less, butcher shops nearby! I can only wish... As far as I know, any and all good butcher shops anywhere around here (central VA) fell victim to the "healthy food" movement of the 80's and 90's. As for steak toppings, I will sometimes slather a little bourbon and honey mixture on the meat while grilling. It will flare up right nicely and give a delicious blackening effect to the surface of the meat.
              Frank

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: What's on your steak? Sun, 03/14/04 10:01 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by fcbaldwin

quote:
                Originally posted by UncleVic

UncleVic, you are indeed lucky to have 4, no less, butcher shops nearby! I can only wish... As far as I know, any and all good butcher shops anywhere around here (central VA) fell victim to the "healthy food" movement of the 80's and 90's. As for steak toppings, I will sometimes slather a little bourbon and honey mixture on the meat while grilling. It will flare up right nicely and give a delicious blackening effect to the surface of the meat.
                Frank

Well Frank, took alot of taste testing to find the decent ones... My closest one is O'briens Market just outside Downtown Ada... A little pricey but their homemade brats, hot dogs are well worth it! Steaks there are really good also... Then there's Garys Meats in Lowell, I normally buy my Ground Beef there... Nothing even comes close to their quality! (And they make some killer jerky also). Then there's Sand Lake Market about 20 miles north of here... Nothing but locally raised, grain fed product in their window! Then on the west side of Grand Rapids is a place called Burton Meat Farm... Everything is done to order! Only problem there is all they speak is Mexican, and there's been several times I had to wait for another customer to come in and translate my order for me! (But worth the wait)!

Pwingsx

RE: What's on your steak? Sun, 03/14/04 8:02 PM (permalink)
                  Uncle Vic,

your tomato idea is a good one. In fact, it makes my mouth water to read it. I think tomatoes are the perfect food -- I could eat them every day of my life.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                    RE: What's on your steak? Sun, 03/14/04 10:23 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Pwingsx

One other thing I enjoy on steak is a mixture of sour cream and mustard. Very piquant on a nice rare steak.

Intriguing, Pwingsx. Half and half mixture??

Pwingsx

RE: What's on your steak? Mon, 03/15/04 11:55 AM (permalink)
                      Bushie,

Depends on how much of a bite you want. I generally use 2/3 sc to 1/4 mustard. And I love to play with different mustards.

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                        RE: What's on your steak? Mon, 03/15/04 1:26 PM (permalink)
                        I can't believe I went here today to get a "different" steak recipe/idea - thank you Stogie, we will be trying one of those tonight - I think the zesty rubbed strips, but doing it on filet mignon - it's what I have. Ususally I like it just plain, a little montreal steak seasoning maybe - but I wanted to try something a little different tonight - thanks!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                          RE: What's on your steak? Mon, 03/15/04 2:12 PM (permalink)
                          Thanks, Pwingsx. I'll try mixing a little stone-ground mustard with horseradish into some sour cream and fix me a nice rare steak this week sometime.

Pwingsx

RE: What's on your steak? Thu, 03/18/04 12:01 AM (permalink)
                            Oh, such total embarrassment. Did I really say 2/3 to 1/4? Even my dumb dog knows that doesn't add up to 1.

Anyway, I found this out through reading Regency Romances during a time in my life where I was trying to escape reality. Often gentlemen would have cold sirloin for their breakfast and spread them thickly with mustard. Trying it myself, I found that straight mustard overpowered the cold sirloin, which lead me to adding a little sour cream to the mix. Thus was my mixture borne.

Yup, try any mustard you like. You'll be amazed.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com