Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's on your steak?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44
Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
What's on your steak? Thu, 03/4/04 7:09 PM (permalink)
I like to fry up fresh mushrooms in olive oil and butter. When they are good and brown I add a bit of beef broth and reduce it a bit. I then add some black pepper, rosemary and about a tablespoon of stone ground mustard. Afer simmering a bit a throw in some whipping cream or 1/2 and 1/2.

Heaven on earth.

What do you put on your steak?

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
    RE: What's on your steak? Thu, 03/4/04 7:11 PM (permalink)
    After not afer, sorry about that. Haven't even had a cocktail yet..maybe that's the problem!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
      RE: What's on your steak? Thu, 03/4/04 7:14 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Theedge

What do you put on your steak?

Salt and pepper. I'll often marinate a steak, but that's it. My favorite marinade is garlic, pepper, olive oil and white wine. Sometimes I'll add cumin and ancho chili powder. But that's it.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: What's on your steak? Thu, 03/4/04 8:26 PM (permalink)
        Several of the steakhouses in this area automatically add a pepper rub "crust" to their steaks without any descriptors on the menu or warning by the Wait Staff.
        I wish they wouldn't do this.....or at least let us know we can order the entree without the crust. I like the meat to be "plain". I will salt and pepper it to taste when it arrives at the table.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
          RE: What's on your steak? Thu, 03/4/04 9:37 PM (permalink)
          half inch thick slice of a sweet onion (Maui, 10/10,Vidalia) saute until just starting to brown or cooked on the grill. When the steak is cooked, preferably medium rare, I place a nice chunk of butter on top of the steak, grind pepper & sea salt on top, then crown with the onions. Did this just the other day as a motter of fact!

Rex Allen

• Total Posts: 157
            RE: What's on your steak? Thu, 03/4/04 9:59 PM (permalink)
            If the steak is a great piece of meat, I do not add anything. I let the steak flavor come through, sides are a good glass of wine, baked potato. Thats it.
            Rex in expensive, cool, and dripping San Diego. Rain,rain go away, we live in a desert for a reason.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
              RE: What's on your steak? Thu, 03/4/04 11:41 PM (permalink)
              Nothing at all on my steak: I assume it was salted and peppered before it hit the grill, but when the mood strikes, I might ask for a bottle of A-1 and a bottle of Tabasco, which I mix about 3:1 on the side or on my bread plate. A little dab'll do ya.

Burp!

• Total Posts: 42
                RE: What's on your steak? Thu, 03/4/04 11:50 PM (permalink)
                Chalk another one up for the "nothing" crowd. Other than a bit of salt, I like to savor the taste of the meat. Add a side of smashed taters (especially w/ garlic), some green beans, and I'm happy as a pig in slop.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                  RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 2:28 AM (permalink)
                  Whine at wife. Refinance house. Start with a bone-in strip steak from Lobel's.

Fresh-ground pepper, salt. Maybe a bit of garlic. On the side: BP w/ butter, sour cream, chives, S&P; mushrooms sauteed in butter with a splash of wine (color varies: whatever is near to hand). Salad

BigGlenn

RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 2:44 AM (permalink)
                    Heinez 57 0r A-1 if its a cheaper cut of meat but I rather eat it just like it is. Yum Yum.........

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                      RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 7:22 AM (permalink)
                      A knife and fork---and sometimes a little salt and pepper---but those mushrooms sounded good--can i get a bowl of them on the side please

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                        RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 8:01 AM (permalink)
                        Always Penzies' garlic salt, fresh ground pepper. Sometimes a dollop of Boursin (sp?) garlic herbed cheese broiled over the top. Sometimes saute'd mushrooms.

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
                          RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 8:26 AM (permalink)
                          On the prime cuts, nothing. With the tougher cuts, like flank steak, I like a marinade that my mother uses. It has ginger in it, but I don't know what else.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                            RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 9:01 AM (permalink)
                            I usually just go the salt and pepper only route. I just like the flavor of the meat. But every now and then I will order a Bernaise sauce on the side if it is available. I think it goes especially well with a ribeye.

Willly

• Total Posts: 396
                              RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 9:01 AM (permalink)
                              Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Charred black over rocket-engine hot mesquite charcoal...

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                                RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                I second Willy...kosher salt and ground black pepper pre-cooking. We prefer the pan-searing/oven roast for prime cuts. We have been known upon occassion to make a pan-sauce of mushrooms, shallots, and a red wine reduction.

When I had friends over for some filets a while ago, I made a bunch of differnt compound butters for fun. Let me just tell ya, the gorgonzola butter on my filet just about knocked my socks off! It was SO good!

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
                                  RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                  Kosher salt and a little fresh ground pepper for the better cuts. Lesser cuts of beef I like fried onions slowly carmelized and mushrooms. Theedge's mushroom recipe sounds perfect.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                    • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                    RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 6:05 PM (permalink)
                                    Ok, I confess -- when I grill a steak at home, I will douse it in Heinz ketchup. There's just something about the flavor of sweet tomatoes with half-raw (and that's how I like it) meat. It just mushes together so well in my mouth.

Of course, I practically eat ketchup with my ketchup. I'm addicted to it and all things tomato.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6216
                                      RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 7:14 PM (permalink)
                                      Ketchup? On steak? Really?

On the grill for me it's salt and pepper.

Pan seared in the winter I like to add some shallots and deglaze with red wine, swirl in a pat of butter and pour over steak.

Stogie

• Total Posts: 128
                                        RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                        For the most part, I like nothing but S & P, but I get bored with that. I eat so much of this wonderful red meat, that I just had to start trying some things differently.

So, here are several recipes I have had great success with. They are nothing more than a combo of rub and sauces....but they match each other perfectly!

I also think it is a MUST to top both steaks and burgers with butter. Has nothing to do with juiciness. The fat in the butter carries the flavor...that is all it is meant for.

You can use any cut of steak...filet, strip or rib-eye and of course porterhouse and T-bone.

Enjoy!

Stogie
                                        _______________________________________________________________

I will put my favorite at the top. I HATE bleu chesse, but for some reason I LOVE it in this combo. Go Figure! Men......sheesh!! LOL

Couzan Billy Steak

RUB
                                        6 Garlic clove(s)
                                        1 tablespoon Rosemary, dried
                                        1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
                                        1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Black pepper, coarsely ground

BUTTER
                                        1/2 stick Butter
                                        3 tablespoon(s) Cheese, Bleu
                                        2 tablespoon(s) Parsley, fresh, chopped
                                        3/4 teaspoon Rosemary, dried
                                        1/2 cup Walnuts

Prepare the rub in a processor until it is a thick paste.
                                        Apply 2 teaspoons to each side of filets.
                                        Let stand 1 hour.
                                        Toast whole walnuts in oven.....be careful not to burn.
                                        Then mince to smaller size.
                                        Add remaining ingredients in processor and blend.
                                        Grill steaks and top with butter when served
                                        ______________________________________________________________________________________

Texas Chili Steaks

4 Steak(s), Rib-eye
                                        RUB
                                        1 tablespoon Black peppercorns
                                        1 teaspoon Chili powder
                                        1 teaspoon Kosher (coarse) salt
                                        1 teaspoon Brown sugar
                                        1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
                                        1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
                                        SAUCE
                                        1/2 cup Ketchup
                                        1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
                                        1 tablespoon Red wine vinegar
                                        1 tablespoon Brown sugar, dark
                                        1 teaspoon Chili powder
                                        1 teaspoon Onion powder
                                        1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground

Crush the peppercorns and combine with all other ingredients.

Rub into meat on both sides.

Apply olive oil to both sides of the meat.

Grill over high direct heat for about 7-10 minutes.

Make the sauce in a small saucepan, add enough water to get your desired consistency.

Simmer for 10 minutes and serve warm with steaks.

For larger roasts, triple the rub portions and double the sauce portions.
                                        _______________________________________________________

Zesty Rubbed Strips

2-3 pound(s) Steaks, porterhouse or NY strips

RUB
                                        2 teaspoon(s) Black peppercorns
                                        2 teaspoon(s) Mustard seed
                                        2 teaspoon(s) Paprika
                                        1 teaspoon Garlic powder
                                        1 teaspoon Kosher (coarse) salt
                                        1 teaspoon Brown sugar
                                        1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper

SAUCE
                                        1/2 cup Ketchup
                                        2 tablespoon(s) Steak sauce
                                        2 tablespoon(s) Molasses
                                        2 teaspoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
                                        2 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
                                        1 teaspoon Garlic powder
                                        1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground

Grind peppercorns and mustard seed. Combine with remaining ingredients for the rub.

Trim steaks and apply the rub pressing into both sides of the meat.

Then, spritz or brush with some olive oil, both sides.

Let sit for 30 minutes at room temp.

Grill over high heat by searing each side 5 minutes.

Turn heat to indirect medium and cook until desired doneness.

To make the sauce, whisk everything together and add water until you reach your desired consistency.

Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve warm with the steaks.
                                        ______________________________________________________________________________

Steaks with Roasted Garlic Butter

1 head Garlic
                                        1 teaspoon Olive oil
                                        2 tablespoon(s) Butter, softened
                                        1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
                                        1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
                                        4 Steak(s)
                                        Steak Rub

Place the head of garlic in 8 inch square of foil and drizzle with oilve oil.

Seal the foil and cook over indirect heat(or in a low oven) for 30-45 minutes.

Squeeze out the garlic and mash.

Combine with the mustard, butter and Worcestshire sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Rub steaks with your favorite steak rub.

Grill and top with butter just prior to serving.
                                        _______________________________________________________________________

Make Me Growl Steak

6 tablespoon(s) Butter, softened
                                        2 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
                                        1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
                                        1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
                                        1/4 cup Olive oil
                                        4 teaspoon(s) Garlic, minced
                                        4 teaspoon(s) Paprika
                                        2 teaspoon(s) Brown sugar, light
                                        2 teaspoon(s) Salt
                                        2 teaspoon(s) Pepper
                                        4 Steak(s)

Mix first 3 ingredients and store in refrigerator until ready to use.

Make a paste with the remaining ingredients.

Rub paste onto the steaks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.

Allow steaks to warm to room temp.

Grill to desired doneness.

Top with butter and serve.
                                        ____________________________________________________________________________________

Finally, what I think is the best stand-alone rub. I use this on my award winning brisket recipe.

Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning

4 tablespoon(s) Salt
                                        2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
                                        1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
                                        1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
                                        1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
                                        1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
                                        1/2 teaspoon Coriander
                                        1/2 teaspoon Turmeric

Mix together and use on any beef.

Makes about 1/2 cup.

Sundancer7

RE: What's on your steak? Fri, 03/5/04 8:26 PM (permalink)
                                          Quite frankly the Sundancer only likes quality steak with salt and pepper. I do not add any flavoring such as A1 or any other.

I want it medium rare and the taste of steak.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                            RE: What's on your steak? Sat, 03/6/04 3:35 AM (permalink)
                                            As it so happens, I had a 10-ounce rib-eye at Le Caveau in the Back Bay tonight (where the menu is largely Belgian and therefore they don't blink when I ask for mayo with my frites) and it came topped with a light glazing of anchovy butter. I wouldn't want it every time, but it made a nice change.

lamertz

• Total Posts: 290
                                              RE: What's on your steak? Sun, 03/7/04 8:17 PM (permalink)
                                              When I have a prime cut,I like it simple with just a bit of salt and pepper. Otherwise,some sauteed onions,mushrooms in red wine would be nice.
                                              Here's a nice marinade for flank steak:
                                              1/2 cup soy sauce
                                              1/3 cup honey
                                              2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
                                              3-4 chopped green onions

Marinate for a few hours or more
                                              Grill each side 4-5 minutes for med rare
                                              Top with Bleu Cheese right after it comes off the grill--slice against the grain

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                                                RE: What's on your steak? Mon, 03/8/04 12:39 AM (permalink)
                                                With good steak, salt is my only seasoning. After looking at Michael's sumptious food photos from Doe's Eat Place (the Greenville, MS steakhouse), porterhouse steak has been on my mind for several days. I wonder if Michael knows the trouble his food pictures cause?

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
                                                  RE: What's on your steak? Mon, 03/8/04 7:27 AM (permalink)
                                                  My father's favorite way for a sirloin to be broiled or grilled was to lightly coat the steak before cooking with...Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard!!Excellent.

sauceman

• Total Posts: 184
                                                    • Location: Johnson City, TN
                                                    RE: What's on your steak? Mon, 03/8/04 3:06 PM (permalink)
                                                    Not even pepper. Just kosher salt. That's it.

Fred Sauceman

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                                                      RE: What's on your steak? Mon, 03/8/04 3:20 PM (permalink)
                                                      this site is loaded with real steakfolks. nada on all the fancy stuff for this boy, salt and pepper will do just fine. If it's a cheaper cut, I give it to my in-laws and then take the rest of the brood to Charlies(in Tampa)

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
                                                        • Location: Columbia, MO
                                                        RE: What's on your steak? Mon, 03/8/04 4:42 PM (permalink)
                                                        Starting in about five weeks, a great pile of fresh morel mushrooms simmered in real butter.

Otherwise, salt and pepper. Maybe a little garlic. Maybe a mound of sauteed button mushrooms.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                                                          • Location: Laurel, MD
                                                          RE: What's on your steak? Mon, 03/8/04 4:45 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Bill B.

Starting in about five weeks, a great pile of fresh morel mushrooms simmered in real butter.

Bill B., I hope you are planning to hook the rest of us up with those morels!!! YUM! Or maybe we can all just stop by....?

Rex

• Total Posts: 109
                                                            • Location: Greensboro, NC
                                                            RE: What's on your steak? Sat, 03/13/04 5:05 AM (permalink)
                                                            I may not know a darn thing about baking cakes....but me and steak....lol...well that's another story.

Rule #1: You never EVER cook steak inside on the stove. I don't care what time of year it is (and I live on the east coast)...on the grill...with nothing but garlic pepper. Medium rare...with a nice pink tinge. The cut has to be just right though. Sometimes I may add a little lea & perrins...maybe.

The best steak should always speak for itself.

Something that makes a winter storm much easier to deal with...grilling steak on the back porch.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com