What's the worse BBQ you ever had

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/09 11:23:03 (permalink)
Lots of BAD sounding stuff here, the other "best" thread is way more fun!

That said, that pig cooked over burnt tires has got to top this list, uck!!! And I thought I was an adventuresome eater. :~)
Joe
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/09 11:35:01 (permalink)
I now admit that I'm not a fan of Parker's in Wilson N.C. Maybe it was because it traveled to FL and wasn't straight from the kitchen.
shackburger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/09 14:44:07 (permalink)
I find Famous Daves awful.I realize it's a chain, that's no excuse to screw up Q.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 611
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/10 09:14:52 (permalink)
Our worst was at 17th St BBQ in Marion IL
everything was cold overdone and tough, and they are supposed contest winners, yadda yadda yadda.
And all the after one of the longest waits in my life-
On the plus side- the corn muffins WERE great and they had some weird fried dill pickle slices that were greasy but strangely good.
But the BBQ, never again- I don't care HOW happy that darn pig looked!
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/10 11:45:20 (permalink)
Another worst...I'm currently hiding in my office as the daughter's boyfriends finish the shoulders for the graduation party this afternoon...forty HS seniors that graduated yesterday w/ their parental influences in tow will show up in four or so hours.

The bbq will be fantastic but the crying and hugging will be a pain. I was a good boy last night but will crack open a Hennie in another twenty mnutes. Got to wait until noon but the second will be cracked very soon after the first.

Pulled out one pot of beans from the pit this morning and let the boys eat them for breakfast. The resulting gas will keep them away from my daughters...sneeky old dog aren't I?

The tree frogs had their own party last night. The pool had hundreds of egg sacks floating in it this morning. We skimmed out as many as possible and transferred them to the pond. Open an umbrella and get six or ten frogs on you. Cute little fellas though.

Oh well enough hiding. These boys tend to let the fire get too hot.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 611
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/11 10:43:09 (permalink)
actually V- sounds like a pretty nice graduation party- wish I could come...
I like frogs, beer and BBQ,
and I guess I'm used to boys and beans....
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/11 11:12:41 (permalink)
Party worked out well although my wife does a terrible thing to bbq. She takes chopped q and puts it in a frying pan w/ KRAFT bbq sauce and just a few splashes of Texas Pete hot sauce and frys it. Comes out a sickly sweet sludge, fits in w/ this thread in that I think it is horrible.

Must be a thing here in piedmont NC because it gets eaten as well as the pulled or sliced. The dog is a happy camper today...munching on bones and hog skins. My head has felt better I must admit. Didn't make church today either.

Everything was eaten, there were no broken bones during the touch football game (although the dog did take a nip at a guy for tagging me, that got the dog a BIG slice of pork.) and the "hugging/crying/we'll keep in touch" was reasonable.

Two things made me laugh. One car had to be pulled out of a ditch by the tractor...the wife drove after that. Then I found an empty condom wrapper in the barn this morning, well at least they used one.

Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/11 14:43:33 (permalink)
This happened before Katrina and not all of the places are still there.

My wife and I and another lady had gone to a bridge tournament at Moss Point and the last day drove over to Biloxi and the gambling dens to dissipate before heading back to Atlanta. My wife and I were ready to go a long time before, well, I'll call her "betty," in case her kids should see this. They seem to be afraid she'll spend their inheritance in the slots. Actually, she straight way hit at least one natural royal ($1,000.00 jackpot) which is about what she does every time we see her gamble. "Betty" pretty much stopped thinking about food or the road trip at that point and eventually left more than a grand to the good.

We finally got her away and it was so late we decided to buy take out and eat a late lunch on the road. There was a well recommended BBQ & blues or country place on the other side of the interstate and we came away with sandwiches to eat immediately and a slab of ribs to eat at home. The ladies both had pork sandwiches which they ate and seemed to enjoy.

I ordered a BBQ sausage sandwich. I can easily find good BBQ sausage in the Southwest but its relatively rare in Atlanta, so I try it fairly often when I see it. My first bite had a something hard in it that did not bother me too much at first because I have found pieces of bone in sausage before. This time it turned out to be an apparent kernel of feed corn that looked like a piece of discolored un popped pop corn.

I had been thinking that we might go to that place for the music and BBQ during a future trip. Certainly we will visit the (imploded) gambling den again when it is rebuilt. We will want to go to that bridge tournament again. The hospitality was exceptional. But go to that BBQ place again - NO WAY.
tabazco99
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/11 15:33:23 (permalink)
Gates in KC. I cannot begin to explain the brisket experience that they served me. However, I will try: thinly sliced brisket meat that was still pink in the middle and not from the smoke ring. It was only about 1/8 inch thick but I picked up a slice with an end in each hand and stretched it and it wouldn't come apart. It was not edible, even covered in sauce.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/12 19:50:44 (permalink)
the most interesting bbq was at a place along the St. Lawrence seaway in Canada. The waiter spoke no English but the special was bbq beef. It turned out to be corned beef and it was pretty good.
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/12 20:44:58 (permalink)

The restaurant that I have just quit working at is a contender. We used these pork chunks in a bag that could be used for either carnitas burritos or in our case BBQ pork. We would cook the pork in Cattleman's sauce and add sauted onions. From there, we would store it in the fridge until someone ordered it. Then we would reheat it in a saute pan and top it off with grated cheddar and jack cheese and place it on a bun. I would say that the fries were good except that we never strained the oil after a shift to clean it and it would be used for a week before we changed it.

Without naming names, one of the BBQ joints that is listed as the best in Connecticut is pretty scary. I went there with the hopes of getting a job with them, but after two days, I realized that they had too many problems and yeah, their BBQ sauce was a commercially made brand that could be found at the supermarket. The chili sucked too and they deep fried the hot dogs.

On another note, I will be driving through Wilton, CT. tomorrow and will definitely try Dexter's Dog House.

mark
TOMBSTONE
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/16 04:51:50 (permalink)
Our`s was Bob Sykes in Bessemer,last July 4th,I don`t know if we were the first customers of the day,but the ribs were`nt even warm,,& un-chewable,plus the sauce tasted like 100 % Liquid Smoke,Maybe we just got the last slab before they started serving the fresh-cooked ones......
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/16 11:50:58 (permalink)
Having lived on the upper Gulf Coast for 25 years and used to decent pit BBQ, the worst Q I have experienced was during an 18 month assignment to Cincy....the Montgomery Inn...the ribs were a rack of limp, parboiled, rubbery meat that sloughed of off the bones when you picked it up...the sauce was horrible ketchupy sweet red slime....only ate there once.....folks in Cincy think this is really good.........
geographer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/19 11:52:04 (permalink)
While I haven't had a lot of really bad barbecue, the worst was at the Brick Pit in Mobile. After reading about it all these years, I took a bunch of collegues there as we were driving through Mobile a couple of years ago. The pork was way too tough and the sauce was sickening sweet. Dreadful. I drove past it again last year with my wife and daughter, but this time I didn't stop. Headed straight to the Dew Drop Inn instead...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/19 12:05:19 (permalink)
Tombstone,
We have tried Sykes Place in Bessemer twice in the past 2 years. Both times in the evening. Our experience has been the same as yours. I'll give a place three tries...but Sykes got an earlier visit from us several years ago, with the same results. So much for that place. Not the worst we've ever eaten, but far enough down the list not to be considered again.
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/19 12:13:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lamkid

Sad, but the worst was Interstate BBQ in Memphis. And we were so looking forward to eating there. We had combo plates. And everything was lousy. The meat looked old, and was just drowning in goopey sauce. I mean it. They pour the sauce on the plates! Their pulled pork was greasy, and stringy. I have been to Memphis about three times now, and have had terrific food and service at every other spot we have chosen. This was such a let down. The service that day wasn't the best either. It's a shame too, since it's such a landmark.

I made my first visit to Interstate just last week. I agree with you on the gloopy, saucy ribs, but I found the chopped pork sandwich to be outstanding. Really, it was some of the best sandwiches I've ever had.
ctrueder
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/19 12:49:08 (permalink)
I'm going to have to agree with Shackburger about "Famous Daves."

Agreed, Dave's is NOT Road Food, but a highly-hyped chain. But, I gotta tell ya', in my humble opinion, they serve some of the WORST "barbeque" in the country . . . even for here in Maryland (where I live, temporarily, I hope).

But, when we REALLY get a hankering for que, we drive over to our beloved North Carolina. I can't remember EVER getting bad pulled pork there!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/19 12:55:46 (permalink)

Papa... I was trying to come up with a slogan for that one... maybe a Steel-Belted Smoke Ring would appeal to some folks???
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/25 19:33:18 (permalink)
Without a doubt, Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City! The brisket was sliced very thin and was dry, and it had a strong, watery, vinegary sauce over it. The ribs were cut with a cleaver and they chopped right through the bones leaving little bone chunk "surprises". I had heard so many great things about the place, and it was a sad disappointment.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 531
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/27 10:04:38 (permalink)
Not really sure this counts.

Posey's in Meridianville, Al. It's a small all u can eat place up the road from my inlaws. One day on the buffet they had bbq. It was mostly tasteless meat drowned in an incredibly so-so bbq sauce. I mean drowned too. It was pathetic.

DT.
HankNBugsy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/03 14:29:58 (permalink)
My vote for the worst - Bill Miller's BBQ in Texas
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/03 23:58:16 (permalink)
Here in the Nashville area we have a chain called Whitt's. Their pulled pork is actually just oven-cooked pork roast. It is never touched by flame or smoke. I don't know how they stay in business, much less thrive, in a city like Nashville. But, they do.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 531
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/04 10:24:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ctfrasier

Here in the Nashville area we have a chain called Whitt's. Their pulled pork is actually just oven-cooked pork roast. It is never touched by flame or smoke. I don't know how they stay in business, much less thrive, in a city like Nashville. But, they do.

Glad you posted about Whitt's. They have them in Huntsville, Al. where my inlaws are. We've wondered what it's like. Glad I didn't find out the hard way.

Thanks
DT
cyrano
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/04 12:46:42 (permalink)
Most disappointing was Arthur Bryant's, especially given the buildup about the brisket and the sauce. The brisket was gray and tasteless, could have been cafeteria roast beef, while the sauce was not so much spicy as merely unpleasantly hot.

Most disappointing in Texas is the chain in Houston, Luther's. Not terrible, just blah.
fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/05 08:39:59 (permalink)
The food tasted like kerosene.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/05 10:16:33 (permalink)
A lot of restaurants have a bell curve history; they start climbing in professionalism (often quickly), reach a peak, and then--unless competent management steps in to save it--start to descend (sometimes rapidly, sometimes more slowly) in quality and service. And when this happens, as restaurant patrons, we're all disappointed. It sounds as if a lot of the BBQ places on this thread have had the same sort of experience.

My biggest disappointment of late has been the Shady Rest in Owensboro, Kentucky. For years it was every bit the BBQ destination that the Sterns described. Then, over the last couple of years, the business has been for sale, and the effort put into preparing a quality meal there has waned. Two years ago it was slightly noticeable, but not serious enough to be concerned. I went there again in March of this year, and I could not finish my meal (something rare for me). I almost felt naseous. I really think the Sterns should pull the plug on this recommendation. Every restaurant has its day, and this one is about over.
riblet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/05 19:20:44 (permalink)
Gotta be Country's in Bham. Toughest ribs I've chewed on, literally. Then there was this place in Fairhope AL. Toss-up on these two for the Worst.

Funny thing, each place was packed. Go figure. Maybe different foods for locals and travelers, I dunno.
PhenoBarbieDahl
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/06 15:23:15 (permalink)
Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale, MS. The food is supposed to be quite good most of the year, but we went when they were using the "festival" menu to deal with the crowds. Flavorless, processed "pulled pork" (mostly sauce) and pork and beans straight out of the can...I watched them open the cans in the kitchen and dump the beans straight onto the plate. It was horrible, they should've closed the kitchen and not even bothered.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6531
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/06 19:58:57 (permalink)
I don't know what it is about the cincinnati area, but several area places take after the "ribs king". One of the worst is "The Coachligh Inn" in Aurora Indiana, boiled, rubbery ribs, smeared with catsup and liquid smoke
Cozette
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/07/07 10:18:48 (permalink)
The worst I ever ate was in Colorado it was grey,tough,and tasteless. Could not believe it because it looked like a great place to eat.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1