Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's the worse BBQ you ever had

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 107
bbqbob

• Total Posts: 11
RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 08/29/06 8:29 AM (permalink)
To bobj143:

Thanks for NOT including my place (Hog Wild Bar-B-Q) from your list of Florida worsts! Sadly, you are right - there is little to crow about in FL regarding 'que.

One of the best barbecue joints in Fl, in my opinion, is Peebles in Auburdale. Have you tried it? They've been smokin' since 1948 in the same location.

Thanks again.
BBQ Bob (owner and pitmaster, Hog Wild Bar-B-Q)

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 08/29/06 9:09 AM (permalink)
    The ribs at the Summer House in Woodstock VA were terrible. I like grease, but these had more grease than sauce on them. They almost slipped out of my hands and flew across the room.

Unfortunatly I was travelling. If I had these at home it wasn't anything a little blotting, rinsing off and an application of Sauers BBQ sauce couldn't fix.

bobojay

• Total Posts: 67
      RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Thu, 08/31/06 6:39 PM (permalink)
      I dont remember the name of it...but in Kansas City at Antioch and Vivion Rd. I worked next door and was starvin marvin. It tasted like boiled meat. GROSS.... Also Marie's BBQ in Leavenworth,KS (out of business now) IT WAS BAD!!

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
        RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Thu, 08/31/06 8:40 PM (permalink)
        Kansas City BBQ in San Diego. Location was perfect, by the water downtown. Top Gun was shot in their bar, if that means anything. But the absolute worst brisket of all time-- watery, grey, tasteless. Pure garbage.

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
          RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Sat, 09/2/06 11:06 AM (permalink)
          Up here in the wilds of the Merrimack Valley, there is an item known as a chicken barb. Boiled, shredded chicken served with a mayo sauce. YUCK!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Sat, 09/2/06 11:21 AM (permalink)
            I dont make good bbq-so mine is the worst....

jmshumakersr

• Total Posts: 38
              RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Fri, 10/6/06 8:52 AM (permalink)
              Any barbecue with vinegar in it. I just don't understand putting vinegar in barbecue. Nasty!!!

hotpep1

• Total Posts: 17
                RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 10/10/06 3:33 PM (permalink)
                My worst experience was at a local chain donw here in South Florida called Red's Backwood's Barbecue (I like to call it Red's "Backwards" Barbecue!). I stopped in the first day they opened since it's right up the block from my house. I was worried, though, since I didn't see any smoke coming from the roof.

I tried the chopped pork sandwich...it was gray with no smoke ring evident. I guess it would a good sandwich if you wanted roast pork.

I spoke to the manager and asked about their smoker, which he said they had. All I saw was a grill that they heated ribs & chicken on and grilled burgers. I asked about wood and he said they used gas with wood. This is from their corporate website: "items are slow-cooked for hours using wood-chips in specially designed ovens to seal in the natural juices and savory barbecue flavor". Blech!

I never went back to eat there, although they do have 6 different types of sauce (always a red flag to me for a barbecue place to not have a "signature" sauce!)...anyway, their Carolina-style sauce is pretty good.

By the way, John A, for the record...that place on Oakland Park Blvd. is called Jack's Barbecue Smokehouse. Funny, I've passed it thousands of times, and just a couple of weeks ago I was going to stop in...maybe it's better that I didn't!

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                  RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 10/10/06 4:01 PM (permalink)
                  The worst BBQ I ever had was wonderfull! Even the corn beef BBQ sounds good to me. Hmmm, how about spam BBQ? But... I havn't tried that tire smoked pork yet.

Seriously, I must be lucky to have never had bad BBQ at a restaurant. Maybe I'm to picky about where I stop for Q?
                  Joe

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 10/10/06 5:00 PM (permalink)
                    Famous Dave's

Brooklynq

• Total Posts: 9
                      RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Fri, 10/13/06 12:31 PM (permalink)
                      Smokin Al's in Bayshore. Only time I've fod the Q inedible. Ate the side dishes and left the meat.

allyk

• Total Posts: 154
                        RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Mon, 10/16/06 9:26 PM (permalink)
                        A place in Minneapolis--Can't remember the name. The pulled pork didn't taste bad. It was quality meat, well cooked, and had a tasty sauce. It just didn't taste like barbeque. No smoky flavor at all. More like pork roast with a sauce. Was I ever glad to get back down south!

TheHotPepper.com

• Total Posts: 322
                          RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Mon, 10/16/06 9:41 PM (permalink)
                          I got some ribs at a BBQ joint in Kingston NY ( http://www.hickoryrestaurant.com) that claimed to be a real BBQ joint, smoking the ribs for 12 hours or so, but when I got them, they were tough and you had to literally tear the meat off the bone with your teeth, and it was pink... no smoke rings. They were not smoked, they were grilled up in about 20 minutes. I know the difference.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                            RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Mon, 10/16/06 11:11 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by bobojay

I dont remember the name of it...but in Kansas City at Antioch and Vivion Rd.
                            Could it have been Marty's Barbecue?

Curiously,

Buddy

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                              RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 10/17/06 12:40 AM (permalink)
                              Rudy's in Albuquerque NM. The brisket was fatty and loaded with grisel. Pulled pork was dry and the baked beans tasted only of pepper.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 10/17/06 1:39 AM (permalink)
                                I just had some really bad BBQ earlier this evening in NYC. It was at the Heartland Brewery down in Lower Manhattan near the South Street Seaport. They have a place called Spanky's near Times Square and they are converting a number of their restaurants to a full BBQ menu. I thought I'd give it a try. I started out with smoked chicken wings with a pineapple dipping sauce on the side and a pulled pork sandwich with BBQ baked beans and fries. The wings were ok. Meaty and somewhat smoky (but couldn't tell if it was real smoke or liquid). The pineapple sauce was a nice sweet counterpoint. The pulled pork was tough, no smoke at all and was drowning in sauce. Please, please, please leave off the sauce and let the meat speak for itself. Let ME decide how much sauce I want on it! It can be a BBQ restaurant without the sauce (aka Texas), but it can't be a BBQ restaurant without the meat. Nuff said. The BBQ beans were dry and pasty as though they were undercooked and had little BBQ favor at all. The fries were ok, not good or bad, just ok. The waitress was nice enough but she really didn't seem as though she knew her job very well. I had to remind her of things I had asked for 2 and 3 times. It wasn't very busy either. I did get two free beer glasses with some coupons I had, so it wasn't a total loss.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                  RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 10/17/06 7:40 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

I got some ribs at a BBQ joint in Kingston NY ( http://www.hickoryrestaurant.com) that claimed to be a real BBQ joint, smoking the ribs for 12 hours or so, but when I got them, they were tough and you had to literally tear the meat off the bone with your teeth, and it was pink... no smoke rings. They were not smoked, they were grilled up in about 20 minutes. I know the difference.

I grew up in that neck of the woods in the 50's & 60's. Still have folks that live in Boiceville so I get back up that way at least once a year. I thought the place was pretty good, at least as good as any of the chains I've been in. They certainly get good reviews, doesn't get much better than Zagat. They must of been having a bad hair day when you were there.

John

TheHotPepper.com

• Total Posts: 322
                                    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 10/17/06 4:50 PM (permalink)
                                    Was only there once and it was bad. Yeah, I saw the Zagat, doesn't mean much to me, I doubt they know "real" BBQ.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                      RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Wed, 10/18/06 1:58 AM (permalink)
                                      Yeah, I went to Spanky's in Times Square with some friends about a year ago ands the waitress was "selling" the smoker real hard. "Hey, can you smell the smoke in here?" "Its from our smoker where we slow smoke all of our meats." If you need to "sell" it, I ain't buyin'! Let the meat speak for itself.

drummagick

• Total Posts: 167
                                        RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Sat, 10/21/06 6:55 PM (permalink)
                                        Sadly, I don't live in a BBQ intensive area (North Central WA state). When I lived in Seattle I went to Pecos Pit a lot as I worked just down the street, and loved the place.

The worst BBQ I've ever had was this place in Wenatchee, I can't remember the name of it but it's down by the south bridge over the Columbia. I was happy to see brisket on the menu 'cause it's my favorite. While I was waiting for my sandwich I asked what kind of wood they used, I had seen a big pile out back. I was told "fruitwood trimmings" (we live in an orchard intensive area). So I get my beans and sandwich. Go out to the car to take it home and I'm so excited I can't wait. Open the beans, take one bite and put the lid back on, they were absolutely tasteless. Unwrap the sandwich and take one bite and actually spit it back out. Put everything back in the bag and took it home and threw it in the trash and that is the first time in my life I have ever thrown away BBQ in any form. The brisket was tough and had too much fat on it and whatever 'fruitwood trimmings' they used should not ever be used with beef brisket.

What's odd is, later on I realized that even though they have a stack of wood out back, I don't remember ever seeing or smelling smoke anywhere near that place, and I'm over that way a lot.

They've been open since I moved here in 2003 and it still surprises me.

Candyman_GH

• Total Posts: 8
                                          RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Mon, 10/23/06 6:04 PM (permalink)
                                          Probably the worst BBQ I have ever had would be when I made it myself haha it didnt turn out so great:)

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                            RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Tue, 10/24/06 10:37 PM (permalink)
                                            Unfortunately I've had a lot of bad bbq, I think a that's because I'm always on the lookout for Q places and will try most any place if I'm hungry. I was very disappointed recently in a little place that popped up on the side of the road. Guy had a stepvan with a huge smoker behind. He set up only on Fri and Sat and with the smoke boiling out of that smoker I thought I was in for a treat. Unfortunately the meat was very bland and tasted of nothing. I've also figured out that what I consider good others may not and vice versa.

Charlie

Kingman3

• Total Posts: 9
                                              RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Fri, 10/27/06 2:08 AM (permalink)
                                              The worst I've ever had was definitely KC Masterpiece on the Country Club Plaza. Ridiculously overpriced and not at all like KC barbecue.

LC's is THE only way to go here in the 816, bar none. (Oklahoma Joe's and Jack Stack in the 913).

mst3kguy

• Total Posts: 1
                                                RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Sat, 06/23/07 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                i believe this will be post #3 naming Cincinnati's Montgomery Inn as worst barbecue. Here is why, in my assessment:

cincinnatians, born and raised here, get used to M/I ribs, thereby thinking these are how ribs are supposed to be. what are their ribs like? boiled, then microwaved, if you can imagine; completely covered in a ketchup-like sauce; pick up the wet mess, and the meat slides, not falls, but literally slides off the bone back into the sauce soup. so, cincinnatians get conditioned to thinking this is how ribs should be. then they go to traditional places that smoke their ribs, some don't even put wet sauce on them when bringing the ribs to the patron (gasp!!) and cincinnatians say how horrible they taste, how dry they were, etc. you don't smell any type of smoked wood when you walk into m/i, you smell cologne and perfume. so when i ask someone around here about bbq, their answer is often dependent on the answer to their second question: what to you think about M/I ribs?

M/I is all glitz; it sits on the Ohio River, offers a great view, and is very upscale. they brag that bob hope and other celebs are always visiting, ordering to have the ribs shipped to them, etc. they really know how to "work a crowd". i live in cincnnati, but wasn't born here.

i'll put a second-to-the-last place entry to myself, when i was smoking a pork shoulder using the alton brown/good eats terra cotta smoker, and accidentally put one of the pieces of wood directly on the burner, causing it to melt the plastic housing of the burner. i had headaches for a couple days from that, just from the smoke, didn't even try the meat, what a waste...

djmsalem

RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Sat, 06/23/07 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                                  I'm with LindaW -- worst 'que I ever had was at The Lodge in East Greenbush, NY. It's been a little over a year now, so exactly what we had fades (thankfully) from memory, but everything about the food said they hadn't a clue and didn't care.

schwabpg

• Total Posts: 7
                                                    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Sat, 06/23/07 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                                    Born and raised in Cincy, and I couldn't agree more about Montgomery Inn. It's not BBQ at all, it's a master class in mediocrity.

The good news is that over the past decade number of decent BBQ establishments have opened up around town. Hopefully they will serve to reeducate the palates of Cincinnatians.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3707
                                                      RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Wed, 06/27/07 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                      The worst BBQ I ever had was the same as the worst sex I ever had.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
                                                        • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                        RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Wed, 06/27/07 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by MetroplexJim

The worst BBQ I ever had was the same as the worst sex I ever had.

pork butt???

jgundrum

• Total Posts: 2
                                                          • Location: Columbus, OH
                                                          RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Sun, 07/1/07 4:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          Hoggys in Columbus Ohio. Used to be good when they were in the old drive in.......Guess they think we have no clue what good Q is.

Have to agree with the montgomery inn being weak. Ate there and had the ribs and couldn't figure out what the talk was about.

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                                                            • Location: Toronto, Ontario
                                                            RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had Wed, 07/4/07 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                                            The worst BBQ ribs I ever had were at a place that looked like it should have delightful ribs - a restaurant in a big, old house in Formosa, Ontario with a sign arvertising "Ribs!" Turned out to be bland, boiled ribs leftover from the previous day. Just horrible.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 107

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com