What's the worse BBQ you ever had

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
2006/05/20 23:44:14 (permalink)

What's the worse BBQ you ever had

We went to a place recently called "Smokin Joe's Pit BBQ" in our hometown of Ripley, WV.
Now, with a name like that, I expected real pit BBQ with a deep smokey taste and visible smoke ring.
But believe it or not, it was TASTELESS. Boiled meat with KC Masterpiece squirted on top. HORRIBLE. IT was all a disgusting shade of grey-brown. The "pulled pork" looked like some kind of canned meat that had been run through a food processor.
We ate very little, paid the tab, tipped the waitress and left.
I've told everyone I know about the experience and in the same conversation recommended Bro Marsh's REAL pit BBQ in beautiful downtown Ripley. You can see Marshall out there stokin the fire for the ribs and pork butts when you drive by.
Joe is smokin somethin, but it aint meat and his meat is the pits for sure.

106 Replies Related Threads

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/21 13:22:10 (permalink)
    Here in northeast PA "BBQ" means thinly shaved lunchmeat in water kept hot over a staem tray, served on a bun with sweet relish. You have your choice of ham, turkey, beef, or pork. If you think of it compared to real bbq, it all sucks. If you think of it as a regional mis-named alternative to fast food lunch, it's not too bad.

Tom
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/22 08:38:46 (permalink)
    Cannot remember the name but it's on Oakland Park Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. East of I-95 before you get to the Peter Pan Diner, on the south side of the street, horrible is being generous. I took one bite, paid the bill, and left.

John
    C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/22 09:49:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Cannot remember the name but it's on Oakland Park Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. East of I-95 before you get to the Peter Pan Diner, on the south side of the street, horrible is being generous. I took one bite, paid the bill, and left.

John

Don't know what the BBQ place is, but I love the Peter Pan. Great late night eating. At least it was 20 years ago. It's been a while since I've been there.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/22 10:21:44 (permalink)
    The worst spares and chopped pork that I ever paid for was at a place in Helen Georgia located just out of town along side the Chatahoochee Creek. Beautiful location, friendly waitress, but less than ordinary food. Beans tasted like Campbell's straight from the can, cole slaw was cabbage and mayo (if there were other ingredients, the quantities were minute). The ribs had definitely spent some time in very hot water and, if they were exposed to burning wood at any time, the wood was smokeless. The dry, tasteless chopped pork couldn't be saved by the sauce which was red vinegar. It did improve the beans though they were still too bad to eat. All this disappointment from a place with stacks of hickory all around and an actively smoking pit located where you pass it going in the door. We wondered what they did with the meat that came out of it. pb

(reprinted from an earlier post)
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/22 10:24:28 (permalink)
    some of the worst I have ever had has been when I was judging a BBQ contest and the team that sent in the sample used lighter fluid to start their charcoal. It is so bad, you want something to wash out your mouth with before you go on to the next sample. Why do people do this. Especially ones cooking at a contest.

John
    trolasater
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/22 11:08:14 (permalink)
    Seen, but not tasted! I am a State Air Quality engineer and was driving with a co-worker to an early morning plant inspection when we saw a great column of jet black smoke rising from behind a general store way back in the country. Thinking that this was an all to common case of someone illegally burning trash, shingles or even an old mobile home, we stopped to check it out. It was pouring rain. What we found was a bunch of locals cooking a pig over two burning truck tires. They claimed that they needed to finish the pig to sell the next day for a church benefit,but all their wood had gotten wet. They were also drunk as lords. We told that they shouldn't burn tires and that we'd stop back by later. When we came back, the cooking was finished. We were offered some of the pig, but declined.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1098
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/22 11:16:27 (permalink)
    The Knotty Pine in Grandview near Columbus, OH. I had been there before and had a pretty good meal consisting of pulled chicken, pulled pork, brisket, and sausage. They even had a decent Carolina BBQ sauce. On the next trip which was for lunch, I watched the person in the kitchen pull out a container with leftover meat, dump it on a plate and stick it in the microwave. It tasted like a plate of warmed over meat. Awful. They have since closed and re-opened and I do not think they do BBQ anymore.

Second place would be Hoggy's also in Columbus. Though the pork and chicken is not bad the brisket is terrible. It is not brisket. It is pot roast.
    aharste
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/22 11:29:32 (permalink)
    D. Starnes downtown in Paducah KY. Surly service, and cold tough ribs.
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/22 19:16:28 (permalink)
    Mrs. Smokey BBQ was simply the WORST I ever had. The ribs smelled like fish and tasted like fish too!
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/23 10:03:57 (permalink)
    I ordered a BBQ sandwich at Mabry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway and received canned Castlebury BBQ on a bun with a slice of tomato on top.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/24 19:44:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bob in Cary

I ordered a BBQ sandwich at Mabry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway and received canned Castlebury BBQ on a bun with a slice of tomato on top.

I think we have a winner here...
    My condolences, Bob.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/24 21:31:51 (permalink)
    quote:

Bob,
    Look at it this way -- at least they cared enough to garnish it. That's a good start....
    Not On 'Cue At The Moment, Ort. Carlton in Smokin' Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/24 21:36:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90
    quote:
    I think we have a winner here...My condolences, Bob.

Roossy,
    At least they had the aplomb to use Castleberry's: in these parts, that's thought of as a decent brand. Castleberry's Pork BBQ is better straight out of the can unheated and by itself than are many of the frozen brands I've encountered after they're properly prepared and even "doctored up" a bit.
    In'cuebatedly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/24 21:46:48 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    My worst BBQ experience was at a place in East Nashville, when I lived in Tennessee. The guy simply warmed chopped pork on the stove (it wasn't canned: it was "honest" meat). Trouble is, he used waaaay too much water, and the supposed 'cue ran all over the place and was more tasteless than even a non-epicurean brand of cardboard (ask any cockroach which kind IT prefers!). The accompaniment was a sort-of stew that was actually made "from scratch," but it was gloppy and grey and just as utterly tasteless as the 'cue. I cringed as I ate.
    The poor old geezer who ran the place actually seemed to be trying. Three times he asked me if I'd like "a little sum'pin sweet" in his cloying manner. I politely told him that I could not eat dessert, that I was unable to eat large quantities of sugar. He repeated the question twice after that.
    I finally had to beg him for the check (I had someplace to go and he was busy watching some game show on tv). "Now I want to see you come back, y'hear?" he intoned in the same cloying manner.
    I had been there for well over an hour at noon and had been the only customer in the place the entire time.
    The last time I drove down McGavock Pike past the place -- wonder of wonders! -- it was still there, his very same immense van parked outside. "He has to own the building," I thought to myself.
    Pit or no, it was indeed the pits. I've forgotten the name, and for good reason... Bad Golly, Miss Molly!
    Most Unnostalgically Submitted, Ort. Carlton, Glad To Be In Lovely Athens, Georgia 30601.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/25 13:42:16 (permalink)
    Flip's BBQ in Wilmington,NC. Basically roast pork (over done and tough) covered w/ a weird brown gravy. Waitress was Playboy Playmate material however.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/05/25 14:11:57 (permalink)
    quote:

And, I guess that we can assume that the tomato was one of those tasteless, waxy, pink ones from Florida. That type of tomato could even make canned BBQ look good by comparison, so maybe that was the reason for the addition of the tomato.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/04 21:13:40 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    V960's comment reminded me about a BBQ stop I made once in Opelika, Alabama. The 'cue was decent enough and the sauce had a good taste to it, but it was more like gravy than BBQ sauce... some of the strangest accompaniment I ever had, but like I said, it tasted okay.
    They didn't have any BBQ livermush, though.
    Entrally Fixated, Ort. Carlton in Lovely Athens, Georgia.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/07 10:47:48 (permalink)
    Any BBQ that has a sickly sweet sauce is the worst for me.
    And, it's usually served with sickly sweet cole slaw and sickly sweet baked beans as well. I've been to several establishments that served up this sugar fest, and well yuck not again.

Andrea
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/07 11:35:12 (permalink)
    My mother used some sort of green wood to bbq her chicken... all you could taste was .....well....green....
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/07 13:44:18 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, mine was at a place which is supposed to be one of the best BBQ places around - Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous in Memphis. Both my and my wife's ribs were cold, tough, chewy and nearly tasteless. The ribs at Corky's (a Memphis chain) were soooooooooooo much better.
    geographer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/07 16:59:08 (permalink)
    I had a similar situation. About the worst bbq I've had was at the Brick Pit in Mobile a couple of years ago. Also, while it has a good local reputation, Jim and Milt's here in Tallahassee is nothing to write home about....
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/07 18:53:39 (permalink)
    I would have to say that the worst BBQ this Texan ever had was anywhere in northen California. But then, there really is no real reason to eat BBQ in a state with the freshest veggies, fruit and seafood this Texan ever ate.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/07 19:14:19 (permalink)
    I went to my worst based on a "ROADFOOD" positive review. The Q at "Craig's" in DeValls Bluff, Arkansas was not edible. One taste was all that my wife and I could dare swallow. We immediately went across the street to get a pie to chase away the terrible aftertaste.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/07 20:16:32 (permalink)
    I was going to say a McRib Sandwich, but then I remembered the one time I tried the BBQ Rib Sandwich at AM/PM Mini Mart. Ugh!
    bobj143
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/07 21:45:26 (permalink)
    Any place in Florida, except Keller's in Orlando, Rib King in Port Richey, and especially Hog Wild b-B-Q in Riverview ( Tampa area)
    Lamkid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/08 02:54:30 (permalink)
    Sad, but the worst was Interstate BBQ in Memphis. And we were so looking forward to eating there. We had combo plates. And everything was lousy. The meat looked old, and was just drowning in goopey sauce. I mean it. They pour the sauce on the plates! Their pulled pork was greasy, and stringy. I have been to Memphis about three times now, and have had terrific food and service at every other spot we have chosen. This was such a let down. The service that day wasn't the best either. It's a shame too, since it's such a landmark.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/08 17:21:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by trolasater

Seen, but not tasted! I am a State Air Quality engineer and was driving with a co-worker to an early morning plant inspection when we saw a great column of jet black smoke rising from behind a general store way back in the country. Thinking that this was an all to common case of someone illegally burning trash, shingles or even an old mobile home, we stopped to check it out. It was pouring rain. What we found was a bunch of locals cooking a pig over two burning truck tires. They claimed that they needed to finish the pig to sell the next day for a church benefit,but all their wood had gotten wet. They were also drunk as lords. We told that they shouldn't burn tires and that we'd stop back by later. When we came back, the cooking was finished. We were offered some of the pig, but declined.

Goodyear or Firestone??? It makes a difference....
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/08 23:33:54 (permalink)
    bobj,
    come on down to st augustine. i will feed you free. there is some great q in fla and would like to change your mind.
    the worst i ever had and this is from keeping tabs on the comp is woody's and sonny's (hmmmmmmmmm funny part bout them is i hate taxi cabs. just hate the things!!!! and sonny's has gone and put its name on a champ car!!!! blowing chunks on that should have got the name on a taxi for nascar. dale airhead jr would be my choice for that one. man fell beter now). heck sonny's now has pulled beef!!!man pulled newspapers have to have a more moist taste than that!!!!
    on the tires everyone knows that the soft compound hoosiers used in sprints makes the best pig lol
    jack
    LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: What's the worse BBQ you ever had 2006/06/09 10:43:13 (permalink)
    The Lodge in East Greenbush, NY....no grill or smoke taste..cold fatty pulled pork...chicken must have been baked with bbq sauce on it...only saving grace of the meal was handcut fries
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1