What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe????

Author
offlady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 343
2009/08/19 00:34:25 (permalink)

What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe????

OK, I know it's still August, but I've already been asked to provide recipes for my senior citizen nutrition classes in preparation for the holiday season (which is fast approaching). 

Since it's for the elderly, I need to keep it simple--4 or 5 ingredients, nothing exotic. 
 I need some fresh ideas, and you guys are the best!

19 Replies Related Threads

boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/19 03:10:23 (permalink)
    A couple of weeks ago I made Kentucky Hot Browns. It is one of my wife's favorite dishes. I had to buy a whole turkey breast and roast it for the recipe. Alas, what to do with the left over turkey? I made a very tasty casserole with it tonight.

1 lb chopped roasted turkey
      1/2 lb par cooked egg noodles
      1 can cream of celery soup mixed with 1 can of whole milk
      2 carrots, peeled and diced
      2 ribs celery, chopped
      1 medium sweet onion, chopped
      1/2 lb frozen peas
      1/4 lb grated, sharp cheddar cheese
      1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
      2 tsp each fresh ground pepper and rubbed sage

In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients except the crumbs and cheddar and mix well. Pour into a large buttered casserole dish. Top with the cheddar and then coat evenly with the bread crumbs. Bake in a 375 degree oven foe one hour. That's it. The process only took about 20 minutes except for cooking time.  Total cost: about $8.00  and change to feed 4. The cheese and turkey were the most expensive ingredients but I usually have some kind of poultry and cheese in my fridge most of the time anyway.

David O.
    emmymom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/19 04:09:42 (permalink)
    Turkey Tetrazzini

Saute some diced onions and green peppers and sliced mushrooms in two tablespoons of butter (cup or so of each).  Add 1/4 cup of flour and mix well.  Deglaze with a couple tablespoons of sherry and add 2 cups of milk.  Stir over medium heat until thickened.  Add a cup and a half of diced leftover turkey to this sauce.  Place a half pound of cooked spaghetti in a flat casserole dish and top with the sauce above, poking it gently to let the sauce trickle down through.  Top with a half a cup of shredded parmesan, and bake at 350 for half an hour to 40 minutes, until bubbly and brown.

I make this every year after Thanksgiving and look forward to it as much as the main event.

Scalloped Potatoes with Ham

Scrub four large potatoes and slice thinly (it's not necessary to peel them, but you can if you want to.)  Peel and slice thinly a large onion.  Layer them in a deep casserole thus:  layer of sliced potatoes, sliced onions, salt and pepper, chopped leftover ham, sprinkle of flour (couple of teaspoons on each layer), dot with butter or margerine. You can also add parmesan or cheddar cheese, grated, with the flour.  Keep layering the same way.  When your dish is nearly full, pour in milk up to the level of the top layer.   Bake at 350 until the potatoes are soft (this could be up to an hour and a half - poke them with a long handled fork to see.)
    post edited by emmymom - 2009/08/19 04:13:29
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/19 10:23:35 (permalink)
    For a real simple leftover Turkey crockpot recipe:

Shred all the remaining turkey and place in crockpot
    Put all suitable leftover vegetables into the crockpot (peas, corn, potatoes, etc.)
    Pour the remaing gravy into the crockpot
    Pour two cans of cream of celery into the crockpot
    Pour one can of turkey or chicken broth into the crockpot

Cook on low for 4 - 6 hours stirring occasionally

Salt and pepper as desired when done.

This makes an easy and nutritious creamy turkey stew.

Andrea
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/19 11:40:07 (permalink)
    Turkey and Ham Tetrazzini:

Turkey and Ham [  (Serves 6)

8 oz. spaghetti, (can break into 2" pieces), cooked

Saute: 1/4 cup chopped green pepper and 1/2 lb. (or 1 can) sliced  mushrooms in 1/4 cup butter.  Then blend in 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 tsp. white pepper, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg.Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. 

Remove from heat.  Stir in 1 can (14 1/2 oz.)  chicken broth and 1 cup milk.  Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute stirring constantly.  Blend in 3 TBSP sherry or any red wine. 

Add 2 cups cooked turkey, cut into small pieces, 1/2 cup cooked cubed ham (or cooked bacon if you don't have ham)  and 1 egg yolk to sauce.  Mix well.  Pour into a 2 quarat baking dish.  Sprinkle with  1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup slivered almonds (I use about 1/4 cup of each - And I have extra on the table, for those who like to load up on parmesan.)

Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5025
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/19 14:14:55 (permalink)
    For me the most simple casserole is leftover turkey + leftover stuffing/dressing + leftover gravy with additional dressing and gravy added if needed.  Honestly, I don't even bother to measure; I just throw everything together until it's moist but not soupy.  Cook covered in a glass baking dish at 325 or 350 until it's hot all the way through (shouldn't take too long) and then uncover until the top is browned to preference (I like it dark and a little crunchy).  Alternatively, the casserole can be heated in a microwave and then browned under a broiler.

This and a hot openface turkey sandwich with potatoes and dressing on the side are my favorite ways to use up the leftovers.  Offlady, I'm sure these 2 dishes are already on your list and prepared by many of your students but it's tough to argue with their simplicity!

If there's just turkey to use up, enchiladas are pretty easy.  Tortillas, sauce, and cheese are the only additional ingredients needed and those who might suffer from arthritis can use small tortillas and fold them over instead of trying to roll them.

Brad
    post edited by Brad_Olson - 2009/08/19 14:19:06
    easy1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/19 15:05:55 (permalink)
    For ham, really easy to make, cut up ham into 1/2" dice, about two cups.  One bag (pkg from bakery) pizza dough, you can use the Pilsbury stuff, but the local stores have it fresher.

I make homemade calzones, adding the ham, and any other ingredients that are around.  You can use all kinds of cheeses, broccoli, tomatoes, etc.

Stretch out the dough on parchment, let it rest at room temp if needed, lay on your fillings, roll and seal.  Paint with eggwash and sprinkle with herbs and parm cheese, bake on parchment 400 for 30-40 minutes until the calzone is well-browned.

Let rest five minutes, slice with serated edge knife, watch out, molten insides!

Turkey can be just as easy, cut up turkey into bite size chunks, throw into a casserole dish 2-3 cups cut up turkey.  Add any leftover veggies, peas, carrots, potatoes, cooked onions, even green beans and broccoli.  Pour gravy over the top, I'll use the Heinz FF gravy if I run out of home made, enough to cover the fillings.  Lay over top a pre-rolled Pilsbury pie crust, brush with milk, bake @375 for an hour.  Quick and easy turket pot pie, I serve with biscuits and jelly!  
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1004
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/19 21:01:07 (permalink)
    I also do the turkey stew thing, but with dumplings. I'm already looking forward to it!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/19 22:26:56 (permalink)
    Growing up grandma kept it simple: leftover sliced turkey and the leftover gravy. Start heating the gravy up, when warm add the turkey and continue to heat until bubbling. Heat up the potatoes in a non-stick pot with some added cream and water to keep it from becoming to thick. Ladle hot turkey over the potatoes with cranberry sauce on the side. She would also had sliced boiled eggs to the gravy mixture with extra black pepper.

Dennis in Cary
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/20 00:28:27 (permalink)
    How about Left over Turkey Vegetable Soup?

Depending on the amount of leftover Turkey:
    2-3 Cans of Vegetable Broth
    Chopped Carrots
    Finely Chopped Onions
    Small slices of Celery
    1-2 cans of Diced Tomatoes, your choice of flavors
    A small or 14.5 ounce can of Tomato Sauce depending n the amount of Turkey
    Herbs Provence to Season
    Water as needed

Heat all ingredients on the stove to blend the ingredients
    Add the shredded  Turkey and heat through & Serve.

how about
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/20 15:38:07 (permalink)
    Within 3 days, the holiday food is all in the trash.
    If I'm just not reheating and eating the same meal again, I would make a nice turkey salad or a ham salad with the leftovers.
    Ham salad:  mayo, minced ham, sweet pickle relish, celery, green pepper, pepper.
    Turkey salad:  mayo, minced turkey, celery, salt, pepper.

Offlady, I see you are from Hawaii, a nice mango or pineapple chutney on a sandwich with the turkey salad is great!!!
    cribari
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/21 11:54:20 (permalink)
    The tetrazzini, of course, and my favority Kentucky (turkey and/or ham) Hot Brown though it takes a bit of doin' with the cheese sauce.  Also, turkey or ham salad.  What's easier than cubing the meat and tossing with mayonaisse, celery, sweet pickle, salt and pepper?
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/21 12:38:39 (permalink)
    Turkey:  club sandwiches  and turkey and dumplings stew.
    Ham:  ham and scalloped potatos and then ham and cabbage
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/21 22:36:47 (permalink)
     We usually have a smoked turkey with dressing and the usual sides for the noon meal - then we have the leftovers that night.  Anything left over but the turkey after that goes down the disposal.

After the turkey's carved, we make a stock out of the carcass, refrigerate it and the next day, skim the fat from the top and use the broth and leftover turkey to make gumbo - we started this many years ago after we bought a Justin Wilson cookbook and there was a recipe for After Thanksgiving Gumbo - we just always have a smoked turkey and I think it makes for a better tasting gumbo.

cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/22 18:09:48 (permalink)
    I love it when someone cooks a ham.  I practically beg for the ham bone & any small chunks.  I make a ham stock with the bone along with onion & garlic.  Then use the stock to make red beans, bean soup, potato soup, baked beans, etc.  The ham chunks are used in the same dishes.  I try to make big batches of each to freeze for those long work days when we don't want to cook.

cy
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1160
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2009/08/23 11:59:16 (permalink)
    I'm with Cy, I take that ham bone, make stock, and with the bits of ham, make navy bean soup.

This doesn't have a name - In a saucepan, melt a 2-3 TBS. of butter, saute finely chopped onion, add turkey pieces and set aside.  Cook Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice mix according to pkg. directions, then add the turkey mixture. 
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2010/11/26 13:30:15 (permalink)
    Time to revive this old post from last year. Everybody likes holiday leftovers.

Turkey Casserole
      1 lb chopped roasted turkey
      1/2 lb par cooked egg noodles
      1 can cream of celery soup mixed with 1 can of whole milk
      2 carrots, peeled and diced
      2 ribs celery, chopped
      1 medium sweet onion, chopped
      1/2 lb frozen peas
      1/4 lb grated, sharp cheddar cheese
      1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
      2 tsp each fresh ground pepper and rubbed sage

In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients except the crumbs and cheddar and mix well. Pour into a large buttered casserole dish. Top with the cheddar and then coat evenly with the bread crumbs. Bake in a 375 degree oven foe one hour. That's it. The process only took about 20 minutes except for cooking time.  Total cost: about $8.00  and change to feed 4. The cheese and turkey were the most expensive ingredients but I usually have some kind of poultry and cheese in my fridge most of the time anyway.

Any others out there that haven't been posted?

David O.

Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 393
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2010/11/26 19:43:38 (permalink)
     i like to make turkey posole and turkey burritos with my leftovers...
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2010/11/26 22:32:17 (permalink)
    After Thanksgiving Turkey Gumbo - a Justin Wilson recipe and we make it every year - always on Saturday after turkey sandwiches on Friday.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:What's your favorite leftover turkey/ham/holiday recipe???? 2010/11/27 06:48:46 (permalink)
    Yesterday my long awaited turkey sandwich and today a huge pot of turkey stock. I will divide it in half and make turkey vegetable soup with half and turkey & dumplings with the other.
    My husband also made what he calls turkey hash to serve over toast or biscuits. He sautes lots of onions and garlic and adds cubed turkey, gravy. soy sauce and other seasonings.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1