When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/15 18:48:37 (permalink)
How funny Al, I completely forgot about that guy...he sure had us all going for awhile!!!I say we send Vittorio a link to our site..
guspas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/15 19:42:39 (permalink)
so did anyone send an email?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3879
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/15 20:34:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
Originally posted by doggydaddy

One roach story that I'll always remember was when I had some Moo Shoo pancakes and was applying the plum sauce. Looking at the pancake, I saw that there was a roach that was in the sauce.
I got the waiters attention and he took the jar and replaced it -immediately. Later I realized that he probably got the replacement sauce from the same container that the roach was originally in.

mark

Once in Tijuana, I got a shot of tequila with flies in it. So I got a replacement shot, and that one had flies in it too. I asked to see the bottle and it was chock full o'flies. They must have been making it in buckets and refilling the bottles!

Imagine that! I once got a bottle of tequila with a worm in it!

roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/15 23:11:21 (permalink)
You can always add your own review, Elise!

http://palmsprings.citysearch.com/profile/509877/palm_desert_ca/vittorio_ristorante.html

And then, here is a link to email them.
http://www.palmsprings.com/elpaseo/ristorantevittorio/index.html
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2876
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/15 23:26:52 (permalink)
I did one for Citysearch, but I think it has to be approved first.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 00:53:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Rick, it is interesting that the person who posted the thread you linked in your comment, has not posted since he posed that issue. Many thought he was trolling to get an argument going, and his posting activity tends to prove that out. did you notice that he claimed to be in a rural Alaskan community? I think Elise's 'review' is reacting to some different behavior patterns by the 'Boss' of the place in Palm Desert.
Hmm. Didn't remember about his location; and I agree that he might well have been trolling. But I do think that both (if he was telling the truth) of the bosses was analogous in that they both had to have been downright crazy--maybe clinically so!
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 01:00:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by guspas

so did anyone send an email?
I did. No reply so far.

annpeeples, a thousand times no! I like us: often nice, semi-respectful of each others' idiosyncrasies, and willing to be slapped down if we err too far.

How's that for saccharine?!
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 01:58:35 (permalink)
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 02:00:46 (permalink)
Oh my God!

You are a Photoshop wizard (Luckily it was the smaller, German cockroach variety, not like it makes it that much better)

mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 03:21:45 (permalink)
Frank, that is funny.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 03:42:04 (permalink)
Do I sense a Photoshop challenge? See what you can do with the crab cakes!

IansMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 07:05:42 (permalink)
LOL Nice work Frank
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 07:23:55 (permalink)
Just a little tongue in cheek,Rick F!
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 10:40:39 (permalink)
quote:

Those were exactly what I expected the crab cakes to look like. The crab is so fine that you can't tell what it is besides breaded mooshy crab. I know, as I used to make them that way. My memory is foggy, but I bet I used Dungeness crab instead of the Chesapeake Bay variety. This may explain why they seemed different.

I have been reading this thread with great amusement. I also like the 'Professionals section' as it covers so many aspects of this business. Your story reflects what goes on behind closed kitchen doors (and out onto the street). Everybody has a 'Bad Boss' story, but Vittorio is the champ among his employees.

I have met my fair share, as I reminisced about 'Rage-ero' in S.F. but I do have a recent story. I had a job cooking in a kitchen with an Egyptian chef, and his Turkish sous-chef, who ran the show. The menu was pretty much Italian. I always thought that their background was unusual for doing this cuisine. But in this region of Connecticut, anything with red sauce is Italian.
They worked at this place for over 15 years each and bragged how they terminated previous cooks no matter how good. They were not good enough.
They kept the recipes to themselves and I found it incredibly revealing that the pantry girl who had worked for over two years did not know how to make a simple house salad dressing. Knowledge is power and they wanted all the power. As long as only they knew the recipes their jobs were safe. They could not be replaced as nobody else knew how things were made.

On my first day, I introduced myself to some of the waitresses, and one of them said "Good Luck", but not in an encouraging way. After my first two weeks, one of the bartenders came back and asked "You're still here?"

I would work doing things their way. My problem was that I would let the chef know when we were running out of items. He would become irate, as he felt that it was a challenge to the fact that he was the chef and knew what was needed and required. It became an issue of "Are you telling me my job? You are not the chef, I am!" Whatever.
I became so tired of his tantrums that one night I got to the point where I said "My mama did not raise me to be talked like this by a guy like you." and I walked.

This is a lot of writing about two chefs in one place. Yes, on the first day, I felt that there might be problems. I knew I was in the wrong place when one of the chefs asked a waitress if she was thirsty. It was a hot August day and she said "Yes". The chef said, "Open your mouth...!!!"
I'm from San Francisco, where the women are tough and the men are pretty. If you said that to a waitress back home, you would be kicked between the legs and dragged from there across the kitchen.

These guys make me wish that I could find them in a dark alley away from their home turf where they think they are omnipotent. I'm betting that if I ever saw them in the real world, they would slink away....like cockroaches. There was only one place that they have power, that is the kitchen. They were small people in a big world.

mark
kayteedee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 11:09:13 (permalink)
quote:
The thing that made me suspicious of the crab cakes was the bits of intense pink color inside and the unusual texture. Maybe he gets his crab somewhere that uses a lot of claw, or maybe he sues a pink ingredient, because I have a pretty sensitive palate, and it didn't taste like "krab".

Is it just me? Or does anyone else have a problem ordering fish in the desert?
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 11:45:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kayteedee

quote:
The thing that made me suspicious of the crab cakes was the bits of intense pink color inside and the unusual texture. Maybe he gets his crab somewhere that uses a lot of claw, or maybe he sues a pink ingredient, because I have a pretty sensitive palate, and it didn't taste like "krab".

Is it just me? Or does anyone else have a problem ordering fish in the desert?

I live right next to the Pacific ocean, but our fish is not caught out in front of the restaurant where it is served. It is caught in Mexico, and Hawaii, and the Atlantic. So I figure the chefs in the desert have access to the same crab for Maryland that the chefs in San Diego have.

Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 12:08:20 (permalink)
You should definately report this to the health department!

However, I find his defense pretty flimsy about roaches in the desert. I spent most of my life in the galveston area and we had roaches a-plenty no matter what we did. The house was exterminated monthly, all food was stored in plastic containers etc. Even with following all the advice of the exterminators we'd still occassionally see roaches outside and in the garage.

When I lived in So Cal I never saw a roach period. Not in my house, not at a restaurant, not at a store, not at a motel, never period. We never had to have an exterminator inside the house for roaches, and every 3 months they would spray the exterior of the building for ants. I asked an exterminator why there were no roaches and he said that roaches thrive on humid areas and that while they had some it wasn't a huge problem in the desert like you would see on the gulf coast. I was there for almost 5 years and really wondered if they existed in the desert so what is this guys problem?

EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 14:03:49 (permalink)
It's not as bad as in humid environments, but they definitely exist.

Unless that one was a snowbird like Lleechef!

renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 14:44:57 (permalink)
quote:

These look a little too perfect, like a frozen in the bag job. Not at all like crab cakes formed by hand. Even with a mold or ring. The coating is a bit too perfect as well. Just my take. So I would not be surprised if there was some Krab in here.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2212
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 15:55:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by renfrew

quote:

These look a little too perfect, like a frozen in the bag job. Not at all like crab cakes formed by hand. Even with a mold or ring. The coating is a bit too perfect as well. Just my take. So I would not be surprised if there was some Krab in here.

Kinda look like Kroquettes. pb
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 18:37:29 (permalink)
Maybe call the local tv news "problemsolvers" and get them in on the action ... they're usually looking for an opportunity to do one of those exposes on (to quote Ben Bradley) "ratsh*t in restaurants".
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 18:44:24 (permalink)
quote:

Oh my God!

... Luckily it was the smaller, German cockroach variety, not like it makes it that much better

I'm picturing the goose-stepping, straight-arm-saluting cockroach army in the old Fat Freddy's Cat cartoon.
Vittorios would make a *great* subject for a underground comic.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: When Chefs Attack - Avoid Vittorios Palm Desert 2007/01/16 22:52:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

quote:

Oh my God!

... Luckily it was the smaller, German cockroach variety, not like it makes it that much better

I'm picturing the goose-stepping, straight-arm-saluting cockroach army in the old Fat Freddy's Cat cartoon.
Vittorios would make a *great* subject for a underground comic.

Oh, I LOVE Fat Freddy's cat! Only on Roadfood...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1