Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
2008/10/12 19:17:40 (permalink)

When Making A Martini?

What kind of olive do you use?
How many olives?
What do you put in yours other than Olives?
And do you eat them all or share them with others?

I remember as a child my Mother and Father both drank Martinis. And there were six children. The four oldest always wanted one of the prized olives flavored with Gin. Of course there was never enough to go around. One or two of us would get one. Today when I make a Martini at home I put 3 additional tooth pics of Garlic or Jalapeno stuffed Olives for my Wife, Son, and Daughter when she is around. Just wondered if others have the same dilemna. When I go out to dinner I never get an olive out of the first Martini...Russ

9 Replies Related Threads

djmsalem
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: When Making A Martini? 2008/10/12 19:40:11 (permalink)
    Russ,

There is a certain balance between the astringency of the gin and the welcome saltiness of the olive that is essential to the perfect Martini. I like three Goya olives to provide this balance, using only the brine that clings to them. This "dirty Martini" stuff is, in my opionion, for amateurs.

I am happy to share my olives with my wife (we share everything), but anyone else who sticks a finger into my drink is asking for trouble. My personal feeling is that gin-soaked olives are an adult treat, and if my underaged children were to love green olives (assuming I had such children) it would be my privilege to ask for some non-soaked olives on a plate for them.

I REALLY like that a man wants to provide for his family, as every man should. But in the case of one's drink, it may be that it is possible to go too far.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: When Making A Martini? 2008/10/12 19:41:03 (permalink)
    [url='http://www.sbolive.com/default.aspx']Santa Barbara Olive Company[/url] olives, with Hendrick's gin, and Nya vermouth.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    RE: When Making A Martini? 2008/10/14 02:51:56 (permalink)
    I like 3 good sized salty green olives that can be stuffed with anything!
    Russ Jackson
    RE: When Making A Martini? 2008/10/14 06:50:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by djmsalem

Russ,

There is a certain balance between the astringency of the gin and the welcome saltiness of the olive that is essential to the perfect Martini. I like three Goya olives to provide this balance, using only the brine that clings to them. This "dirty Martini" stuff is, in my opionion, for amateurs.

I am happy to share my olives with my wife (we share everything), but anyone else who sticks a finger into my drink is asking for trouble. My personal feeling is that gin-soaked olives are an adult treat, and if my underaged children were to love green olives (assuming I had such children) it would be my privilege to ask for some non-soaked olives on a plate for them.

I REALLY like that a man wants to provide for his family, as every man should. But in the case of one's drink, it may be that it is possible to go too far.

Gin soaked Olives are a delicacy that help bridge the taste buds of teenagers to adulthood. Rum Balls, soaked cherry's, liquor filled chocolates, half glass of wine at a special dinner, a sip of a beer etc... I respect your belief that these things should be kept away from children. But teaching our children the proper way to drink is the key. Lead by example and they will most likely follow. Personally I think it is the parents responsibility to teach their children the right way to consume adult beverages. Not leave it up to a group of kids on a Friday night....Russ
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6283
    RE: When Making A Martini? 2008/10/14 07:04:06 (permalink)
    yes,3 olives,preferrably pre soaked in tanquery or beefeaters!!!!
    Russ Jackson
    RE: When Making A Martini? 2008/11/08 20:29:29 (permalink)
    I got the house to myself tonight watching the Notre Dame/Boston College game and I got all three of the Olives...Russ
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    RE: When Making A Martini? 2008/11/08 22:49:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

I got the house to myself tonight watching the Notre Dame/Boston College game and I got all three of the Olives...Russ

The Sisters of Notre Dame have a team?????
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    RE: When Making A Martini? 2008/11/08 23:08:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Hope the Martini's were better than the game. unless of course you are a BC fan.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: When Making A Martini? 2008/11/09 00:37:38 (permalink)
    We got so many requests for blue cheese stuffed olives We make the dirtiest, filthiest martinis. People love them!! I am allergic, so I cannot give an appraisal.

When I was a child, I preferred the cherries from my Nannys Manhattans. I turned out ok.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1