When making a big pot of chili...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/23 12:50:40 (permalink)
Jrp, yep, good basic recipe. I sometimes do almost the same except, I use pickled jalapenos for the heat. I cut and rinse out the seeds for a milder batch. I just love the jalapeno flavor. Do you use the Penzey's chili mix?
Joe
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2647
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/23 13:11:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Jrp, yep, good basic recipe. I sometimes do almost the same except, I use pickled jalapenos for the heat. I cut and rinse out the seeds for a milder batch. I just love the jalapeno flavor. Do you use the Penzey's chili mix?
Joe

Joe - I sure do. I buy the Medium Hot Chili Powder from Penzeys.

My wife nixes any thought of adding jalepenos.

Jim
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/23 13:21:51 (permalink)
JRP, so you use the chili powder and not the mix?

And, never fear, hope is here. When I make my family chili that is mild, I chop up some pickled nacho sliced jalapenos, with pleanty ot the juice, for folks to add to their bowl. The juice blends right in for a great jalapeno flavor. I use pickled jalapeno juice for all kinds of things, mmm.
Joe
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/23 16:12:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

JRP, so you use the chili powder and not the mix?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking Joe. I use this stuff ... http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyschilimed.html It is not pure ancho chili powder, it is a chili powder mix. But it is all spices & herbs, no fillers are added. I don't skimp on it, because it adds intense flavor.

Jim

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/23 18:12:35 (permalink)
Thanks JRP! They also make a "chili con carne seasoning" with a few other things in it, like bell pepper and onion. They also make a mild version of the mix like you use.
Joe
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/28 08:50:01 (permalink)
I like my chili hot, HOT HOT, it starts with seasoning the meat, lots of garlic, a couple different hotsauces and a packaged chili mix and brown off the meat (ground beef/pork mix or finely diced stew meats) then hot rotel and chopped jalapeno's or if serano's where on sale a can or 2 of garlic and herb tomato sauce and a few more dashes of hot sauce and occasionally a bit of cinnamon, a can or 2 of hormels hot with beans and 2 or 3 chopped spanish onions. Put it all in the crock pot and simmer. Taste occasionally and add hot sauce as needed. Top with shredded chedder and sliced pickled jalapenos b4 serving. If you dont need a bite of bread and butter after every 2nd spoonful its to mild! My daughter adds a squirt or 2 of chocolate syrup or half a candy bar, to each bowl, to help mellow out the heat
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/28 09:59:27 (permalink)
A question Dreamz, when you brown the meat w/ the seasonings, do you drain any grese off? I usually use some pork sausage and there is a bit to much grease. When I drain it, allot of seasonings ger drined off w/ the grease. I hate when that happens.
Joe
dreamzpainter
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/29 13:58:35 (permalink)
Yes Papa, I do drain the grease and other fluids and there is of course some loss but the meat has absorbed a lot of seasoning while cooking. If making taco's or the like I use a 2nd packet of premade seasoning mix after draing and follow the directions
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/29 16:23:53 (permalink)
Thanks Dreamz! I just hate pouring off those spices. When I have pleanty of time I leave the grease in and then refegerate. Then I scoop off the undesired grease. Lotsa times I don't have pleanty of time though. If I just use ground chuck or cubed stew meat I find no need to drain. It's when I add some pork breakfast sausage ( 1lb to 2 lbs. of beef )that there ends up being toooo much grease. I love greasy chili but you can overdo anything.
Joe
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/29 21:16:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Yes Papa, I do drain the grease and other fluids and there is of course some loss but the meat has absorbed a lot of seasoning while cooking. If making taco's or the like I use a 2nd packet of premade seasoning mix after draing and follow the directions

DP - Why don't you wait until after draining the fat to dump in your spices?

I want every last atom of my chili powder and other spices in my chili, not congealed in a container with the beef fat. I don't think you will keep more than a fraction of the flavor in your chili if you add spices before draining the fat. Usually I brown the meat separately, for later addition, and cook my spices with the onions, peppers, etc.

jrp
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10284
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/29 21:55:26 (permalink)
I made a batch of 'Red" for my posse over the holidays using Penzeys Pre-mixed Chili Con Carne Seasoning, which has no heat. Added their Medium Hot Chili Powder for the heat. I also use "Chili Grind" Chuck Roast. If you haven't tried Chili Grind meat ask your butcher to grind some for you. It's a courser grind than regular hamburger meat and has more body and texture when you cook it. I cook my meat sans spices, except salt & pepper and drain it on Paper towels in a colandar. I use practually every type of canned tomato products, Diced, Pureed, Stewed, etc in my chili including Rotel's "Chili Fixins". Mades a great Chili.
Penzeys just opened a retail store in Scottsdale, AZ so it makes it easy to try a bunch of their stuff with relatively little expense.
dreamzpainter
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/30 10:19:30 (permalink)
JRP, I used to do just what your saying, browning the meat and then adding the spices but my daughter-n-law only eats ground turkey and thats where I got the idea (trying to make ground turkey taste like something) The packets of seasoning are fairly inexpensive so using one to brown/cook with then adding another(or 2) afterwards doesn't break the bank. It really does make a difference.

Papa, the chilling and skimming method would work if I wanted to take the time but when Im in the mood to cook..... waiting for it to cool just isn't in the cards! I have used the drained off mixture to fry potatos (don't let my doc know) or brushed it on tortilla's b4 popping them in the oven
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4629
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/30 11:16:57 (permalink)
I steam the grease off the meat with beef bulllion rather than pouring it off. Works much better.
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1687
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/30 11:31:13 (permalink)
quote:
bill voss Posted - 12/30/2006 : 11:16:57
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I steam the grease off the meat with beef bulllion rather than pouring it off. Works much better.

Steam the grease off??? ...how do you do that?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
RE: When making a big pot of chili... 2006/12/30 11:40:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

JRP, I used to do just what your saying, browning the meat and then adding the spices but my daughter-n-law only eats ground turkey and thats where I got the idea (trying to make ground turkey taste like something) The packets of seasoning are fairly inexpensive so using one to brown/cook with then adding another(or 2) afterwards doesn't break the bank. It really does make a difference.

DP - That would be our difference. I use relatively pricy spices, so I don't want to dump them out and have to add more.

Jim
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1