Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

When making a big pot of chili...

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 45
zzohlman

• Total Posts: 11
When making a big pot of chili... Tue, 10/24/06 9:38 AM (permalink)
do you tend to toss in "extras" that happen to be around? I have a basic recipe which I use, but last night I had a little bit of fra diavolo sauce in a jar left...into the pot. About a 1/4 pound frozen ground sausage...into the pot. Couple long green peppers...into the pot.
Checking seasonings hmm a little bit of oregano, some parsley a little of this and that.
Hmm no beer, but some V-8 juice with picante that is my liquid into the pot.
Came out tasting great

ctchank

• Total Posts: 48
    RE: When making a big pot of chili... Tue, 10/24/06 9:55 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zzohlman

do you tend to toss in "extras" that happen to be around? I have a basic recipe which I use, but last night I had a little bit of fra diavolo sauce in a jar left...into the pot. About a 1/4 pound frozen ground sausage...into the pot. Couple long green peppers...into the pot.
    Checking seasonings hmm a little bit of oregano, some parsley a little of this and that.
    Came out tasting great

No, not really. I would really hate making a batch that was so good I wouldn't be able to replicate - but to each their own I guess.

Enjoy your latest batch!

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
      RE: When making a big pot of chili... Tue, 10/24/06 10:38 AM (permalink)
      Hello All,
      Zzohlman, yes, I tend to toss in extras and also some thing just be creative.
      I've made some great chili and some of the worst in my life, usually the
      worst. Keep experimenting.
      Take Care,
      Fieldthistle

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: When making a big pot of chili... Tue, 10/24/06 11:31 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by ctchank

No, not really. I would really hate making a batch that was so good I wouldn't be able to replicate

see, I'm the opposite. I like to create on the spot. If it comes out well, I usually write down what the extras were that made it good so that I can replicate it (or I just try to remember it when a writing utensil is hard to find). But, I like the the freedom to experiment rather than sticking completely to tried and true.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
          RE: When making a big pot of chili... Tue, 10/24/06 12:40 PM (permalink)
          Zz, here is allot of great info about chili on this site. The whole chili section is full of geat stuff. It sounds like you are a chili head to me. Like jazz, it starts with a few basic notes and just goes from there. My favorite saying is that every pot has it's own soal. Sounds like your pot had some soal!

Ct, I wish I could be more like you. For Field, Score, and I, many a great pot of our chili is lost forever. Ahhh, but there is always the quest for the next great batch.
          Joe

Wendy62

• Total Posts: 81
            RE: When making a big pot of chili... Tue, 10/24/06 12:46 PM (permalink)
            Only time I made really good chili in my whole life: I had some smoked turkey legs, a few sweet potatos nearing the end of their shelf-life, and several Anaheim-style chiles... Some roasted cumin and garlic to make the tastes come together, and I won a prize at the local chili cookoff.

Second prize, mind you XD

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: When making a big pot of chili... Tue, 10/24/06 2:01 PM (permalink)
              I have a set recipe for chili, if I know I am cooking for friends or a pot luck or something like that.

When I make chili for myself, it all depends on what is around the kitchen or pantry

my last chili was 1/2 sausage 1/2 ground chuck, some HOT salsa, ground cumin, ground chipotle, other seasonings, and chicken broth to thin it out a bit (the spoon stood up straight when left in the pot) and was really good for the next 3 days.

I just got bambi put in my freezer so this weekend may be venison chili

zzohlman

• Total Posts: 11
                RE: When making a big pot of chili... Tue, 10/24/06 2:24 PM (permalink)
                That's exactly what I was trying to say Cajunking. I have a "set" recipe for others, when I am making it for no special occasion, I experiment. If it comes out really good, I share. So-so, I eat it myself freezing some for later. I really think there is no such thing as "bad' chili as long as you have a time-tested basic recipe.

PapaJoe8

RE: When making a big pot of chili... Tue, 10/24/06 2:35 PM (permalink)
                  Who amoung us has not posted their time tested basic chili recipe here somewhere at roadfood?
                  Joe

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                    RE: When making a big pot of chili... Wed, 10/25/06 10:22 AM (permalink)
                    I have not. reason: I'm sure it will get slammed by someone. I use beans. so, according to some, it isn't even chili.
                    Although, now that I'm low carbing it, I'm thinking of trying a new low carb version, so it'll be sans beans of course.

ctchank

• Total Posts: 48
                      RE: When making a big pot of chili... Wed, 10/25/06 10:33 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Scorereader

I have not. reason: I'm sure it will get slammed by someone. I use beans. so, according to some, it isn't even chili.
                      Although, now that I'm low carbing it, I'm thinking of trying a new low carb version, so it'll be sans beans of course.

I use beans too, four different types of beans

PapaJoe8

RE: When making a big pot of chili... Wed, 10/25/06 12:30 PM (permalink)
                        I think most folks here have evolved their thinking to consider chili as coming in all kinds of variaties. I have posted all kinds of stuff about chili and, if I got slamed I didn't take it that way. We now have a "sticky" chili recipe thread. The "weird stuff" thread has some real interesting ideas! My recipes are scatered all around the chili section but I may need to post one in the recipe thread. I think this site has the most interesting chili info anywhere on the net.

Soooo........ I would love to hear everyones recipes.
                        Joe

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/5/06 12:12 AM (permalink)
                          Scorereader, post it up! I'll sit on anyone that slams ya.

MikeS.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/5/06 1:22 AM (permalink)
                            On chili making day, same here.. Have a little something to extra, in it goes.. Figure what can it hurt. Even an extra cup or two of coffee will work wonders in the mix!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6204
                              RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/5/06 1:26 AM (permalink)
                              Where is Lone Star when we desparately need her??

oltheimmer

• Total Posts: 214
                                RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/5/06 6:40 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by lleechef

Where is Lone Star when we desparately need her??

Amen.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                                  RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/5/06 8:14 AM (permalink)
                                  Beans, no beans, who cares; how does it taste?

Most of the chilis that I have made using leftovers have mirrored Fieldthistle's experience; occasionally good, usually bad. BUT, you'll never be spectacular unless you risk failure. So, like most chiliheads, I experiment when it's for myself.

Really, the best recipe I have is the most basic one of cubed meat, garlic, onion, and chili powder. Funny how that works sometimes.

Tom

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                    RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/5/06 8:45 AM (permalink)
                                    V-8 Juice is the secret to tangy and tantatlizing chili.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                      RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/5/06 8:50 AM (permalink)
                                      My chili is different every time I make it.....and I agree with the V-8...

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                        RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/5/06 9:42 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by zzohlman

Came out tasting great

Always. Sometimes to my regret.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: When making a big pot of chili... Mon, 11/6/06 11:38 AM (permalink)
                                          Ok life stinks at times

I made a big pot of chili this weekend, added a little of this and a little of that, some of this and some of that. Who knows what the recipe was actually, I was not feeling well and thought this would help.

With my cold I could not taste it to see if it was seasoned right or not, couldn't tell if it was too hot or not. I had to guess.

A good friend who is on my cooking team, told me it was the best chili I have ever made, better than the competition chili we have made.

of course i wrote nothing down, and could not taste it to enjoy it, and now it is gone!

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                            RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/19/06 9:52 AM (permalink)
                                            chili tends to be my pantry/leftover magnet, oh sure theres the basic rrecipe but sometimes...... left over burrito mix, shredded bbq chicken, pasta, that last piece of roast beef or pork roast .. ok so maybe its not chili by the time Im done but a crockpot full of "whatnot" doesn't hang around long

PapaJoe8

RE: When making a big pot of chili... Sun, 11/19/06 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                              Hey, we are talkin chili now yall, jazz it up, anything goes! Sometimes it turns out great. Oh, sometimes.... maybe not, but what great fun!
                                              Joe

Pat T Hat

• Total Posts: 968
                                                RE: When making a big pot of chili... Mon, 11/20/06 1:42 AM (permalink)
                                                Yeah really Joe. It's chili, not ooh la la french pastry. Even if a pot of "pot luck" style comes out a wee bit lacking (or overpowering) it can still be fixed into something pretty tasty. Of course you may end up with 5 gallons of the stuff but again so what. Bath in it if you must, good for the complexion.
                                                In joints I've worked I just call no set recipe chili and soups "...of the moment"

I just turned leftover red sauce with sausage and leftover beef tips in a little brown gravy into a kickin' pot of chili. Had a few different chili's floating around in there and a palm full of cumin, Mmmm that's cookin'!
                                                Made great chili/bean & cheese burrito's (chillito's or whatever your 'ito is). It didn't last the weekend.
                                                I figure if I had not made it, I would not have had it.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                                                  RE: When making a big pot of chili... Mon, 11/20/06 2:02 AM (permalink)
                                                  my philosophy in the kitchen ................ K.I.S.S.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3546
                                                    • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                    RE: When making a big pot of chili... Mon, 11/20/06 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Scorereader

Not necessarily. (This part to be read only by Scorereader and non-Texans). Most of the time I make my chili without beans, however occasionally if making it for a group function I will add pinquitos too. When I started on my low-carb diet I substituted black soy beans in my chili and they worked really well. You can't even identify them as anything except regular beans.
                                                    http://www.soyproducts.com/blackbeans.html
                                                    You should be able to find them easily, especially at places like Whole Foods and Wild Oats.

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                      RE: When making a big pot of chili... Mon, 11/20/06 2:28 PM (permalink)
                                                      Low carb chili w/ black soy beans, interesting Ed! I want that on the menue at the fantasy chili parlor.

Oh, I'm from Texas. I think there was a consensis here at roadfood that chili w/ beans is still chili. Wolf Brand, made in Texas, sells "Chili with Beans". Ok, a bowl of real Texas chili maybe should not have beens. Thats just one kind of chili. I don't mean to start a discussion about this. There is pleanty already if you look in the old chili threads here. It's a peacefull chili world now!
                                                      Joe

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2367
                                                        • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                        RE: When making a big pot of chili... Fri, 12/22/06 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                                        I try to substitute, instead of add, ingredients to my chili in order to keep the liquid-solid proportions right. Last time out, I used 4 cups of shredded barbequed brisket flat instead of the 2 cans of beans in my go-to chili recipe.

It added a great smokey flavor to the chili and a contrasting texture to the ground beef. Next time I'll be adding pulled pork.

These beef and pork cuts are great for chili. They cost less than ground beef, taste great, freeze well, and I always have tons of leftovers when I smoke meat.

jrp

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                          RE: When making a big pot of chili... Fri, 12/22/06 12:47 PM (permalink)
                                                          Wow! Looks great JRP! What else did you put in w/ tha brisket for this batch of chili? Tomatoes, or not, would be my big decision.
                                                          Joe
                                                          Joe

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2367
                                                            • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                            RE: When making a big pot of chili... Fri, 12/22/06 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Wow! Looks great JRP! What else did you put in w/ tha brisket for this batch of chili? Tomatoes, or not, would be my big decision.
                                                            Joe
                                                            Joe

Joe - Tomatoes? Oh yeah! They are plentiful, but not prominent in taste of this recipe.

I used the Penzey's Good Basic Chili recipe. Whenever I try to do something different, I don't like it as much. So I return from Spectacular Exotic Chili to my standby Good Basic Chili.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/recipes/r-penzeyschili.html

The only other change I typically make is to use beef broth instead of water for added richness.

Jim

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 45

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com