Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

When one ethnicity does another...

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 37
NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 2:05 PM (permalink)
We have these strange hybrids in NY:

Hispanics open pizza places

Greeks serve Italian food (or vice versa) I mean a "pizza and gyros" menu.

Japanese serve Hawaiian (well that is not such a leap, but we have hardly any Hawaiian in NYC).

And the strangest: Tex Mex places run by Asians (tacos, quesidillas, burritos)(there are many of these in NYC - cheap take out)

Usually the crossover isn't that good.

Is it similar for you?

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 2:08 PM (permalink)
    What about all the WASPS that run Pizza Joints outside of the more ethnic metropolitan areas of the Northeast (in other words the majority of the country) sure some of them "proclaim" to be Italian, but then you find out there last names are actually Smith, Brown and Johnson???

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
      RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 3:03 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by wanderingjew

What about all the WASPS that run Pizza Joints outside of the more ethnic metropolitan areas of the Northeast (in other words the majority of the country) sure some of them "proclaim" to be Italian, but then you find out there last names are actually Smith, Brown and Johnson???

Hey, my cousin Vinny Johnson wants to have a woid wit chu....

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 3:09 PM (permalink)
        WJ, your side of the country is ripe for natives from other lands-But maybe their ancestory is different from their last name??Like Grandma was from Italy and taught her kids/grandkids how to cook authentically?

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
          RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 3:17 PM (permalink)
          Denver in the late 70's-early 80's was ripe for Irish/Mecican fare!
          Jose O'Sheas for example.
          Columbus has a number Petes for Hot dog/chili dogs- Like its Cinci bretheren-all Greek owned, with the Greek spiced aomatic chili.
          britt

TerrierMom

• Total Posts: 108
            RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 4:16 PM (permalink)
            quote:

It comes of our tendency of intermarrying with Italians. Especially if we are Irish. Ms./Miss Gina Esposito marries Mr.Robert Brown. They decide to open a restaurant, because Gina's homecooking that she learned at her Nonnie's knees (Nonnie's fingers always smelled of garlic) will knock your socks off. Badda-bing, Italian or Pizza restaurant owned by people named Brown

rongmtek

• Total Posts: 503
              RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 5:15 PM (permalink)
              OK- here's one I'll bet nobody else has seen.
              In the mid-70's, I worked as a musician in Oakland, CA. I had a jazz trio, and one of our regular gigs was in a Jewish deli that had been bought and was run by the Moonies.
              Although the vibe was occasionally pretty weird, I must admit the food was damn good. (They paid us 10 bucks each and a sandwich per night.)
              Ron

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 5:22 PM (permalink)
                Once frequented an Irish pub that was owned by two
                Jewish Brothers.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 5:22 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by TerrierMom

quote:

It comes of our tendency of intermarrying with Italians. Especially if we are Irish. Ms./Miss Gina Esposito marries Mr.Robert Brown. They decide to open a restaurant, because Gina's homecooking that she learned at her Nonnie's knees (Nonnie's fingers always smelled of garlic) will knock your socks off. Badda-bing, Italian or Pizza restaurant owned by people named Brown

Back in my old neck of the woods (NYC and vicinity) Jews and Italians are notorious for intermarrying- hence you end up having...
                  Gina Goldstein!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                    RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 5:44 PM (permalink)
                    Does a Chinese Buffet that puts out lasagna and corned beef and cabbage count?

qwerty79

• Total Posts: 165
                      RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 5:53 PM (permalink)
                      Most of the pizza places here, in the Daytona beach area are Greek owned. We go to one quite a bit, not for pizza but for gyros. There is also a kosher Israeli (SP?) pizza place which I haven't tried yet, but they were at a fair here recently and it looked just like NY pizza I grew up with. I'll have to give it a try.

NYNM- There is a Mexican place in New Hyde Park on the Queens border that is run by Asians. It was fantastic! Great quesidillas! When my Grandmother was in LIJ for quite some time, we would go there quite a bit. It was a few years ago but it was right around the corner from the hospital.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
                        RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 5:55 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

And, I'm sure that Mr. Hoffman agrees with me that the lasagna and the corned beef on that buffet are likely to be of the same quality as the Chinese food on the buffet--namely, lousy.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
                          RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 5:59 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by NYNM

We have these strange hybrids in NY:

Hispanics open pizza places

Greeks serve Italian food (or vice versa) I mean a "pizza and gyros" menu.

Japanese serve Hawaiian (well that is not such a leap, but we have hardly any Hawaiian in NYC).

And the strangest: Tex Mex places run by Asians (tacos, quesidillas, burritos)(there are many of these in NYC - cheap take out)

Usually the crossover isn't that good.

Is it similar for you?

In New Jersey, I have found that most of the "Japanese" restaurants are actually owned and operated by Chinese people. I found this out while dining with my former S.O., who used to take delight in translating the Chinese conversations overheard in these pseudo-Japanese joints.

Also, a very large percentage of the Pizzerias that have opened in NJ over the past couple of decades are actually owned and operated by Egyptians, and in a few cases, by Albanians. So much for authenticity.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                            RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 6:39 PM (permalink)
                            In the early '70s I encountered more than one Chinese American/Mexican diner in the Southwest and California. The most impressive diner was in Barstow, CA. There were Chinese cooks making tacos, chow mein, enchiladas, huevos rancheros, fried rice and egg foo yung, using giant woks. I could see right into the kitchen from the counter. It was great to watch. The food was very good.

On the other hand, we wandered in to a sub basement sort of place in NYC that had an Italian
                            menu, cooked by Chinese and Southeast Asians and run by Eastern Europeans of some sort. It was not in any way good, in fact it was the worst food we had in New York. Lapse of judgment, there.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 6:56 PM (permalink)
                              Last year we bought some Czech Sausage and Kolache from a place near Temple Texas run by a guy named Lopez??

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
                                RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 8:39 PM (permalink)
                                DC had a big Irish guy open an asian restaurant. It no longer exists. One and done.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                  RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 9:36 PM (permalink)
                                  I worked for Chuck Martin's Pizza in 1961. Maybe that wasn't a stretch. Dean Martin was Italian.

I did eat in O'Grady's Irish pub in Cusco, Peru. There was not an Irishman in sight and they did not have Guinness on tap.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                                    RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 10:02 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:

And, I'm sure that Mr. Hoffman agrees with me that the lasagna and the corned beef on that buffet are likely to be of the same quality as the Chinese food on the buffet--namely, lousy.

I would agree, but of coure I'll never know as I don't do buffets.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                                      RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                      In my book it always becomes something different. I tend to go for authentic original recipes. To me it is a matter of preserving historic food ways. If we lose the base, we lose the history and if we lose the history, we have lost our past, if we lose our past our future is uncertain. The only thing certain after that is we will be fed corporate food pretending to be ethnic. If that happens we have lost it all.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                        RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by the ancient mariner
                                        Once frequented an Irish pub that was owned by two Jewish Brothers.

Dearfolk,
                                        That's not as far-fetched as one might initially think! There is a significant (and very old!) community of Jews in Dublin, Ireland (and, I assume, in other Emerald Isle cities as well).
                                        The Jewish Dublin accent is about half "Sure an' begorrah" and about half "Oy vey!" Having heard an Irish Jewish gent on Atlanta radio, that's as close as I can attempt.
                                        I bet their corned beef sandwich was delicious!
                                        Unpunningly, Ort. Carlton in Growing Green Athens, Georgia.
                                        P. S. My friend Jeremy (who is Jewish and looks like he needs to be holding a shillelaugh and four-leaf clovers) swears that a large number of leprechauns are Jewish. I've forgotten his logic (he needs to remind me of this one), but I remember his argument as holding water.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen
                                          Last year we bought some Czech Sausage and Kolache from a place near Temple Texas run by a guy named Lopez??

Mr. Mayor; Dearfolk,
                                          I don't doubt it at all. One of the best accordion players in San Antonio back in the 1960's was a guy named Fred Zimmerle. He looked Mexican, but had the Bavarian square head! He was the end-product of a turn-of-the-century intermarriage in Monterey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico between a Bavarian engineer in a factory there and a Mexican woman (which lasted for 52 years, Fred offered). Fred's actual name was Friedrich, by the way, and he didn't speak a word of German! That engineer was his grandfather.
                                          His playing can be heard on an ARHOOLIE LP (maybe issued now on CD) named "Viva El West Side."
                                          Conjuntoically, Ort. Carlton in Ole Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 10:37 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Davydd
                                            Dean Martin was Italian.

DavyD; Dearfolk,
                                            Dean Martin's real name was Dino Crochetti (sp.?), and he hailed from Steubenville, Ohio... still has family there, too.
                                            By the way, Steubenville also gave us two other musical entities: The Stereos (one chart single['I Really Love You'] on CUB Records circa 1960, plus a slew of local hits) AND Wild Cherry ("Play That Funky Music, White Boy"). My favorite Wild Cherry single is "1-2-3 Kind Of Love" -- it was a monster hit on the Carolinas' Beach Music circuit.
                                            Drifting On And Off Topic, As If Sweeping Headalong Down The Ohio On A Housetop In A Flood, Ort. Carlton in Recovering From Flooding Yesterday (But No Tornado Here!) Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: When one ethnicity does another... Sun, 03/16/08 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Tedbear
                                              quote:
                                              I would agree, but of coure I'll never know as I don't do buffets.

Michael,
                                              Not even Jimmy?
                                              Aparrotly, Ort. Carlton in Laid Back Athens, Georgia.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                                RE: When one ethnicity does another... Mon, 03/17/08 8:04 AM (permalink)
                                                Here in DC, on Cap Hill, there's Thai Roma Restaurant - they serve thai and italian food.

and almost all of the pizza delivery places are run by people with ethnic ties to the middle east or india.

MiamiDon

RE: When one ethnicity does another... Mon, 03/17/08 8:43 AM (permalink)
                                                  In Miami, we of course have Cuban pizza shops.

Here is 3 Guys from Miami's take on them:

http://3guysfrommiami.com/pizza.html

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                                    • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                                    RE: When one ethnicity does another... Mon, 03/17/08 1:59 PM (permalink)
                                                    Today I passed a small Indian place, specializing in lassi. The write-up in the window praided the chef: Heather Carlucci-Rodriquez...

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                                                      RE: When one ethnicity does another... Mon, 03/17/08 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                      In Memphis, the Pig and Whistle barbecue restaurant is owned by a Jewish family.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                                                        • Location: Robbinsville, NJ
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: When one ethnicity does another... Mon, 03/17/08 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                                        Wasn't it Tony Bourdain who pointed out that, at upscale restaurants, whether they be Italian or French or Scandinavian or Cajun or whatever else you can think of, your food will most likely be prepared by natives of Mexico and Central America?

We have no problem with that. The subject of "authenticity" is tricky. Authentic to what tradition? Even an Ecuadorian cook preparing food for Ecuadorians in Queens, NY may have to compromise because some ingredients aren't available, and others are of different quality than what they're used to back home. Or maybe the cook just isn't very good. Or maybe the local Ecuadorian population has developed a fondness for some Egyptian spices that they've tasted in the neighborhood two blocks away and now their local, "authentic" food has touches of Egyptian cooking. Evolution in food never stops...

SoulOnFire

• Total Posts: 22
                                                          • Location: Yardville, NJ
                                                          RE: When one ethnicity does another... Mon, 03/17/08 3:58 PM (permalink)
                                                          I just ordered a mexican platter from a Chinese place. They are only one of three places that deliver around here. The other two places are Italian with almost identecial menus. When you are stuck in a food void, I guess anything will do.

My theory is that places incorporate different cuisines because they have cooks of different ethnic backgrounds who can actually make the food.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                            • Joined: 11/20/2000
                                                            • Location: Rogue Valley
                                                            RE: When one ethnicity does another... Mon, 03/17/08 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

Only in oHIo.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 37

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com