2004/02/19 16:51:44 (permalink)

When roosters go bad - gang style

Feb. 19, 2004, 2:29PM

[mg}http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/04/02/19/rooster2.jpg[img]

Roaming roosters have some apartment residents crying fowl
By CHARLIE BIER
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Poultry in motion

Residents at the Tamarac Pines Apartments say they're tired of playing chicken with a flock of five roosters who have been nesting in the pine trees and shrubbery in and around the complex parking lot.

Some residents of the apartments, an independent living retirement home at 10510 Six Pines Drive in The Woodlands, complained the roosters scratch and foul their cars, wake them in the early morning hours, chase wheelchair-bound residents and frighten children.

David Hopper / Special to the Chronicle
A gang of roosters guards turf along a wooded area at the Tamarac Pines Apartments in The Woodlands.

Mary Beth Fredericks said her 5-year-old son, Marcus Johnson, was pecked and scratched while he waited for the school bus to take the kindergartner to Lamar Elementary School.

"My son's in hysterics because everyday at noon when he's waiting for the bus, they're waiting for him," Fredericks said.

Fredericks said when the roosters recently pounced on her son, she tried to beat them back with sticks. Then the roosters came after her.

"I couldn't get them away from him. They're really mean. They have no fear at all," Fredericks said.

Her son said he won't go to the bus stop until the roosters are gone.

"They scare me how their claws start to claw me. I got up and I ran, and then I started crying," Marcus said.

Fredericks said the roosters have been around for all of the two years she has lived at the complex. They nest in a stand of pine trees that sits in the middle of the complex parking lot. The roosters also mill around beneath street lights and below apartment windows, crowing from 1:30 a.m. on through the early morning.

"Nobody can get any sleep," Fredericks said.

Fredericks said it is her understanding the roosters were dropped off near the complex and have found a home in the trees and shrubbery, where they have easy access to food from some residents and passersby.

Nancy Addington, a wheelchair-bound resident, said the roosters run up and peck at her.

"Sometimes, they chase me. I just chase them right back," Addington said.

In response to resident complaints, Kelli Copeland, Montgomery County Animal Control director, said animal control officers tried to collar the roosters Tuesday.

"We're going to go out and try to catch them with some chicken feed. We don't have chicken traps, so we'll have to use dog traps," Copeland said. Copeland said they would try to place any roosters they catch at farms or offer them to livestock auctions.

The roosters probably aren't trying to attack people, Copeland said, but rather have come to associate humans with food.

"Apparently, what happened is the residents have been feeding these chickens and apartment management said they had to stop. So they're coming up to people looking for food," Copeland said.

Tamarac Pines management declined to comment about the situation, but did say residents have been asked not to feed the roosters.

Mary Connell, community relations manager for The Community Associations of The Woodlands, said catching the roosters would be left to animal control officers.

"We're available for help if needed, but officially, we're not really involved. They're wild ... animals that are loose in the county, so animal control would need to come out and get them," Connell said.

Copeland said their office usually turns over similar cases to county or state livestock agents, but will fill in in this case.

Fredericks said one white rooster had been caught and taken away by Tuesday night. According to a television report, a neighbor, Susan Ferris, was going to take it to a farm. At least two other birds also were reported to have been captured by Tuesday night.

Return to top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/19 16:52:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Feb. 19, 2004, 2:29PM

Roaming roosters have some apartment residents crying fowl
    By CHARLIE BIER
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Poultry in motion

Residents at the Tamarac Pines Apartments say they're tired of playing chicken with a flock of five roosters who have been nesting in the pine trees and shrubbery in and around the complex parking lot.

Some residents of the apartments, an independent living retirement home at 10510 Six Pines Drive in The Woodlands, complained the roosters scratch and foul their cars, wake them in the early morning hours, chase wheelchair-bound residents and frighten children.

David Hopper / Special to the Chronicle
    A gang of roosters guards turf along a wooded area at the Tamarac Pines Apartments in The Woodlands.

Mary Beth Fredericks said her 5-year-old son, Marcus Johnson, was pecked and scratched while he waited for the school bus to take the kindergartner to Lamar Elementary School.

"My son's in hysterics because everyday at noon when he's waiting for the bus, they're waiting for him," Fredericks said.

Fredericks said when the roosters recently pounced on her son, she tried to beat them back with sticks. Then the roosters came after her.

"I couldn't get them away from him. They're really mean. They have no fear at all," Fredericks said.

Her son said he won't go to the bus stop until the roosters are gone.

"They scare me how their claws start to claw me. I got up and I ran, and then I started crying," Marcus said.

Fredericks said the roosters have been around for all of the two years she has lived at the complex. They nest in a stand of pine trees that sits in the middle of the complex parking lot. The roosters also mill around beneath street lights and below apartment windows, crowing from 1:30 a.m. on through the early morning.

"Nobody can get any sleep," Fredericks said.

Fredericks said it is her understanding the roosters were dropped off near the complex and have found a home in the trees and shrubbery, where they have easy access to food from some residents and passersby.

Nancy Addington, a wheelchair-bound resident, said the roosters run up and peck at her.

"Sometimes, they chase me. I just chase them right back," Addington said.

In response to resident complaints, Kelli Copeland, Montgomery County Animal Control director, said animal control officers tried to collar the roosters Tuesday.

"We're going to go out and try to catch them with some chicken feed. We don't have chicken traps, so we'll have to use dog traps," Copeland said. Copeland said they would try to place any roosters they catch at farms or offer them to livestock auctions.

The roosters probably aren't trying to attack people, Copeland said, but rather have come to associate humans with food.

"Apparently, what happened is the residents have been feeding these chickens and apartment management said they had to stop. So they're coming up to people looking for food," Copeland said.

Tamarac Pines management declined to comment about the situation, but did say residents have been asked not to feed the roosters.

Mary Connell, community relations manager for The Community Associations of The Woodlands, said catching the roosters would be left to animal control officers.

"We're available for help if needed, but officially, we're not really involved. They're wild ... animals that are loose in the county, so animal control would need to come out and get them," Connell said.

Copeland said their office usually turns over similar cases to county or state livestock agents, but will fill in in this case.

Fredericks said one white rooster had been caught and taken away by Tuesday night. According to a television report, a neighbor, Susan Ferris, was going to take it to a farm. At least two other birds also were reported to have been captured by Tuesday night.

Return to top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6900
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/19 22:00:02 (permalink)
    Lone Star,
    First you admit to EATING QUICHE at lunch with other Texan ladies with Big Hair and Big Jewelery. Now everybody is crying "Fowl, fowl, fowl". What the heck is going on down there?
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/20 05:35:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for making me smile on a very bad week, Lone Star This reminds me of stories of how my mom hated the chore of herding geese on her mother's farm because it always ended up with THEY chasing her instead of her chasing them.
    Lone Star
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/20 10:08:39 (permalink)
    I think it is the weather down here making us all a little crazy. This was a big story on the news. I think somebody finally went out there and collected the rogue roosters. They left behind their leather jackets though.
    Lone Star
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/20 10:33:35 (permalink)
    Here is one explanation for our love of Big Hair:

Governor Anne Richards' salty hairdresser, Gail Huitt - "Honey," she says, "Big Hair was created for one major reason. A woman learned that when her head was smaller than her butt, she looked deformed, like a marshmallow with an olive on top. Big Hair gives a gal proportion."

lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/20 10:47:33 (permalink)
    Y'all must know--the higher the hair,the closer to God.

Speaking of chicken problems,maybe you have heard of the chicken chronicles down here in Key West. The city is full of fowl and the latest development is that the city has hired an official chicken catcher (a local barber) He has yet to catch any offending fowl but he does have a website and is selling a chicken man t-shirt.CNN and the rest of the news services have been chasing all over town and it's hilarious that with all of our small town/big tourism problems,this is what gets us ink.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/20 12:03:59 (permalink)
    Sheesh..........wonder if they rumbled with the pigeons to become "Cock of the Walk"
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/20 12:19:21 (permalink)
    Ladies, um, what is going on here? First quiche, then big jewelery, then Really Big Hair, then rogue roosters, Jackalopes and now the Cock of the Walk. Where are we headed?
    (I LOVE that Smilie!)
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/20 12:24:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Here is one explanation for our love of Big Hair:

Governor Anne Richards' salty hairdresser, Gail Huitt - "Honey," she says, "Big Hair was created for one major reason. A woman learned that when her head was smaller than her butt, she looked deformed, like a marshmallow with an olive on top. Big Hair gives a gal proportion."

You know if your gonna elect a Texan president-----why couldnt it have been this one!!!! I love Anne Richards! Isnt it time you Texas women took charge down there and run those crazy guys back home to mow their lawns tend to the oild wells??!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/20 12:29:02 (permalink)
    I remember Marge at Large-the meter maid lady in Chico Ca until she retired a few yrs ago. She had wonderful big hair and rode a three wheeled Cushman around, tracking down those parking scofflaws. When the state decided that her vehicle was a motorcycle and therefor she needed to where a helmet, she refused--- would destroy her "do",and rather then lose the best source of income the city had---they went out and bought her a small truck! I believe Marge was also originally from Texas.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/20 13:13:49 (permalink)
    Check the "Chicken and Dumplings" thread for the solution to this problem.
    Lone Star
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/27 15:06:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lamertz

Y'all must know--the higher the hair,the closer to God.

Speaking of chicken problems,maybe you have heard of the chicken chronicles down here in Key West. The city is full of fowl and the latest development is that the city has hired an official chicken catcher (a local barber) He has yet to catch any offending fowl but he does have a website and is selling a chicken man t-shirt.CNN and the rest of the news services have been chasing all over town and it's hilarious that with all of our small town/big tourism problems,this is what gets us ink.

lamertz - I saw the piece on the "Sunday Morning" show about the chickens. When they showed the barber/chicken ranger chasing the chikens with the "Bad Boys" song from Cops, I could not stop laughing. They were pretty chickens, but where do they all come from?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/27 15:22:45 (permalink)
    I think they come from eggs........." />
    Lone Star
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/27 15:29:03 (permalink)
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/28 01:36:59 (permalink)
    Now, I just popped in on this thread. But dealing with delinquent roosters isn't that hard (my 3 X great aunt did it all the time): all it takes is a hatchet and some patience. Or, if you can get away with it, a .410 shotgun. . . .
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/28 09:42:05 (permalink)
    Chicken in the pot! Chicken in the pot!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: When roosters go bad - gang style 2004/02/28 11:24:31 (permalink)
    My grandfather named ALL male fowl--"Dinner" I remember when i was really little--say 4--he caught a rooster in the garden chomping on fresh shoots,he reached in his pocket, pulled out a 22 and shot it,then picked it up, handed it to me and said me and said "give this to your Noni"
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1