Helpful Reply~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ...

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
2012/05/13 15:19:07 (permalink)

~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ...

I just came across this review for a restaurant in Northampton, Massachusetts ...

May 13, 2012
good food, a bit expensive
by freshfoodfollower (4 reviews)

You can't beat the flavor of this Indian food. It has a complex, delicate but distinct flavor. It is also consistently good. You can absolutely count on having a delicious meal here. Unfortunately, the meat portions have steadily declined to the point of being absurd, especially since the price is definitely on the high end. That being said, the food is outstanding. Everything, down to the nan and the chai is authentic and genuinely delicious. ... 

...  The deal breaker for me though was when I discovered that the owner family keeps the tips and doesn't give ANY of the tips to the waiters. Haven't been back since I learned this from a first hand source (someone who worked there.) This puts the customer in an awkward position. The food is already expensive and the skimpy portions make you feel like you are over-paying to begin with. Then to think you are stiffing your waiter, and giving the owners a generous tip on top of it all makes it kind of problematic.

... I wouldn't think of not tipping unless the service and the food were terrible, (the service is consistently very good by the way) so, my solution, is to not go at all, which is a shame. There seems to be something deceptive and unethical about this practice because the customers think they are tipping the waitstaff ...

So ... My topic here is how does a policy like this set with y'all ???

I understand that the owner takes your order and brings your bill ... but after that, they have nothing to do with the service, the people who keep your water filled, paces your meal, clean the table, brings your drinks, etc.

Is this standard ???  Is this Okay ???   
post edited by wheregreggeats.com - 2012/05/14 11:04:07
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/13 15:55:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Speaking as someone who makes a portion of his living off of tips, I can tell you it is NOT standard, and it is NOT okay.  Unless the wait staff is very generously compensated in the form of a high salary (not likely), and if this is being reported accurately, this amounts to a practice just short of slave labor.

Is it possible the person who wrote this review misunderstood, and the tips are collected by the owners and then redistributed in equal shares to the wait and bus staff?

If ownership is truly keeping all those tips, I'm amazed they have any wait staff at all.  Not to be overly snarky or suggest anything untoward, the only way I would work under those conditions would be if I was an undocumented immigrant, working illegally in this country, and desperately needed a job.

Buddy
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2455
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/13 16:06:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
If the tip doesn't get to where you intended it to go, then I wouldn't tip. The owner is making his profit on the meal. It looks like the owner wants a bigger piece of the pie..................
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/13 17:23:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Occasionally, I'll use a credit card to pay for the meal and tax and then put cash in the folder for the tip and hand the little folder to the waitperson or just hand the cash to the waitperson. They smile and thank me and I get great service on return visits. GOOD Waitstaff work hard for their money. If there's one thing I hate it's giving money to the government just so they can waste it!
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/13 19:01:48 (permalink)
Foodbme If there's one thing I hate it's giving money to the government just so they can waste it!

Thankfully, most Americans are happy to participate in a civilized society and do not encourage the violation of our laws by evading income taxes. (You just can't help yourself, can you, Foodbme?)
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/13 19:34:38 (permalink)
Hmm--does the IRS KNOW this!???? If i worked there they would!

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 10:10:44 (permalink)
Oops, political!  But befire the thread gets closed, let's remember that evading taxes is illegal, avoiding taxes is not.  We all avoid taxes, and do our level best to do so.

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 10:17:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I, too, will pay the bill by check or credit card, and make sure the tip is in cash, which I hope leaves more options open for the waitperson.  And I often ask if the tip is all theirs, or if they have to share,  Around here, they usually say it's all theirs.

If the bill is larger or we're out of town, we'll pay by credit card.  If it's a small, family,  local place, we pay by check, so they can avoid the credit card charges.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5148
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 10:30:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Wasn't Mario Batali's restaurant ownership group successfully sued over this practice?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 10:34:56 (permalink)
It's not standard or ok. The source of the story is a little weak. A blurb in a restaurant review. When most people hear something like that and it's something they will be sharing in the future...they gather all the facts or don't even mention it.

Sometimes in ethnic communities there is more to the story and some things get lost in translation. I doubt anyone would or could work for free...on their own volition.

Word on the street is that The Brail Rail in <<<Hoboken >>> is haunted by ghosts.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 10:43:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
pnwchef

If the tip doesn't get to where you intended it to go, then I wouldn't tip. The owner is making his profit on the meal. It looks like the owner wants a bigger piece of the pie..................

Agree 100% with u, as well as BUDDY ROADHOUSE !
I was shocked when Gregg & I heard about this "owner keeping tips" practice yesterday.  We were having lunch with the gal who wrote the review.
She said she was'nt gonna go back to that Indian place, anyway, cuz the portions were too small for the high prices.  BUT, I suggested that she (or anyone else who goes in there) make a comment right in front of owner, & the waiter, that they will NOT be tipping, cuz the OWNER gets to keep the tips !!  Instead, they would like to meet the waiter , across the street , when their shift is over, to give them what they deserve.

wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 11:02:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I didn't mention it in the original post ... but I do know the blogger ... and I know her source and am certain the report is credible. 

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 11:11:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
If it is reported to the proper authorities it will be stopped and the restaurant owner will face serious legal action. If someone is stealing money from workers in a hostage situation it will take more than a comment or a topic on a forum to make it stop. If it's accurate the employees have nothing to lose.

The instinctual reaction for most people that discover something like this through a source who happens to be the person experiencing this is ...why are you still here?
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/05/14 11:54:21
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 11:19:47 (permalink)
Bruce Bilmes and Susan

Thankfully, most Americans are happy to participate in a civilized society and do not encourage the violation of our laws by evading income taxes.
[/quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good one!!
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 12:46:44 (permalink)
porkbeaks

Bruce Bilmes and Susan

Thankfully, most Americans are happy to participate in a civilized society and do not encourage the violation of our laws by evading income taxes.
[/quote

Evidently, you find reality amusing.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 13:55:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Since the name of the restaurant was in the original post I decided to read every Yelp review.

The owners are regarded as charming warm friendly nice.

Comments on the staff are nothing but excellent nice happy happy happy helpful warm friendly.

There is mention about students being employees. Is the source a student?
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:~ When the OWNERS TAKE the tips ... 2012/05/14 14:16:45 (permalink)

porkbeaks

Bruce Bilmes and Susan

[/quote

Evidently, you find reality amusing.

The reality is the only thing keeping most Americans from evading income taxes is the fear of getting caught.
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1