When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles...

Author
kathy_in_wlsv
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
2014/02/13 20:58:43 (permalink)

When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles...

We live in the boonies, 100 miles from Buffalo, Rochester  or Elmira.  (Zip 14895) There really isn't a place reasonably close where we can go for a good steak.  There's a local roast beef place, which I love, but their steaks are just so-so..

Anyway we (including our 11 year old daughter) are really wanting  some good steaks,  she is beguiled by the commercials for Longhorn, I've had an Outback steak once.

Cooking it at home isn't an option. We want nice service, and no washing up.

Any suggestions? Are the chains that similar and that bad?  This is a special occasion, we can plan in advance, but can't be out driving100 miles  after dark.

11 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7051
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/13 21:19:22 (permalink)
    Out of sheer desperation (late night, out of town) we ate once at Longhorn and once at Outback.  At both places the steaks sucked and the service was even worse.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3565
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/13 22:36:55 (permalink)
    For chain steak that doesn't cost your entire paycheck, I'm a fan of Logan's. It's not spectacular, but it's a decent steak for a decent price (and they actually let you order black & blue...and serve it that way...which a LOT of places won't because of the undercooked meat thing). Outback to me is food that feels like you ordered it in a mall food court...like Applebee's or TGI Fridays. I've never had Longhorn, so I don't have a clue there.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/14 09:11:52 (permalink)
    I've had very good luck with Longhorn--but only because I know of a right combination to make my meal a fantastic one.  Here's what you do to avoid an average meal at Longhorn.

Longhorn has a condiment known as "Prairie Dust."  This condiment only works well with the ribeye.  Tell the person who serves you that you want a ribeye.  Tell them to put "Prairie Dust" on it...and then tell them to DOUBLE to Prairie Dust.

They normally put some Prairie Dust on their ribeyes, and I had several of them for a while with the portion that they usually put on one.

But one day I asked them to put two full coats of Prairie Dust on my ribeye.  Oh, my gosh!  I never wanted that meal to end!  The flavor was intense and very flavorful.  And it was stunningly delicious.  And I have never looked back.  That's all I ever get there.

And sometimes when the cooks don't put enough Prairie Dust on my ribeye, I ask them to bring out a little bowl with some of it, so I can sprinkle it on myself.

I pass this along to you and to any other roadfooders who want to try this concoction.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7051
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/14 10:14:48 (permalink)
    I forgot about Logan's.  Again, we were pretty much forced to eat there, we were on the road, small town, nothing around.  Same story.  The steak sucked and so did the service.  Should have gone to McDonald's and gotten a salad.
    MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/14 10:19:33 (permalink)
    I've found Longhorn to be reliably good.  It's not Ruth's Chris, but it's good and I've found it to be consistent.  The salads are fresh, delicious (I'm a fool for the house dressing), and the asparagus is delectable.  I know several prime rib lovers who swear by theirs.  
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/14 14:37:32 (permalink)

Add me to those who enjoy Longhorn.  It's certainly not Cattlemen's, but it's one of the better chains.  Our local one has always been good, and has decent service.   As for Outback, forget about it.  Never had a good meal there. 

Glenn

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4233
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/14 15:10:09 (permalink)
    Outback and Longhorn offer good value. 
    In fact, I can't recall a truly bad meal at Outback.
    Maybe that's just luck, but I've been at least 20 times over the years. 
    When in doubt, order a rib-eye:  it's hard to screw that up.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3739
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/14 15:46:27 (permalink)
    With a family of six, we rarely go to our favorite good steakhouse.  We , when son wants a decent steak,  head for Longhorn Steakhouse.  We have always had great service and excellent food.  I am not much of a steak eater so I always order two appetizers: the "Wild West Shrimp" (which is one of my favorite appetizers anywhere) and the mussels which I share with youngest granddaughter. 

My  son usually has the porterhouse and my daughter in law has the fillet.   We can have a great meal, with wine, for two hundred dollars.  At our favorite place, our meal sets us back about $500.00.  We are thankful for such a good chain as Longhorn Steakhouse.......never had anything but really good food  and super service!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10329
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/15 02:14:21 (permalink)
    RESTAURANT OWNERS_ What's your reaction to this idea??? RSVP.
    I'm guessing you're in Wellsville NY and your "Beef Place" is the Beef Haus. Correct?
    The cost of traveling over 200 miles RT might be worth this suggestion.
    Since you're apparently a good customer of the Beef Haus, I assume they know you.
    I suggest you speak very frankly with the manager/owner and let them know you love their beef but are not impressed with their steaks.
    Without ticking them off, Ask them to order some better quality steaks for you for your "Special" occasion and you will pay a price differential. The price differential would be less than spending the money for Gas to drive 200 miles RT. The owners may find that there is a market for better quality steaks in Wellsville that they can make money on. Looking at their web site, they've been there a while and seem to be customer oriented. I'd think they would want to make customers happy and if you're happy you'll tell customers they go the extra mile for you. After all, Wellsville has a limited # of customers.
    Looking at their prices, they're probably not using a very high grade of beef currently. 8 oz. Filet, $21.00???? Not the highest quality.
    RKB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/02/15 11:39:46 (permalink)
    Longhorn is good, but I've had good luck with Outback also. I think their server training (both places) is better than most since it has been consistently good in my experience, as are their steaks. Granted, they are not high-end but then neither are their prices.
    I will never set foot in a Logan's again, I have never had a decent steak there, or even average service.
    YMMV 
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:When there isn't a "good" steakhouse within miles... 2014/03/04 22:16:06 (permalink)
    Can't help you, there are so few places where I will pay someone to cook a steak for me. A great steak is so easy (and cheap) to make at home, I only go out for stuff I can't make at home..I just did a stove top grill pan NY strip tonight, no muss no fuss. The strip was $5.99/# from a small roadside market in Homer NY (Rte11) and it was just fine with a nice bottle of Rioja. Can't wait for the temps to get above freezing so I can fire up the almighty Weber and enjoy a charcoal grilled steak....screw the chain restaurants.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1