Helpful ReplyWhere Did Everyone Go?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/19 22:11:09 (permalink)
X1

I have my IRL Roadfooders that I keep in touch with, and perhaps check this site a few times a week, but rarely post anything anymore. Why bother?

I don't understand this comment. You post food pictures or discuss food elsewhere, why bother posting there? Not questioning why you do so, just wondering why you feel other places are worth your time, but this one isn't. 

X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/19 22:31:17 (permalink)
Why bother means...why bother posting here, when things I say (that should be said) get deleted, while other comments (that shouldn't be said) stay.
Why bother means...if nobody "in charge" responds to e-mails, that means they don't really care, so why should I?
Why bother means...the good leave while the bad eggs stay, so more power to 'em, I guess.

Other places are worth my time because I get feedback, not nasty comments; other places are worth my time because the mods care; other places are worth my time because I belong to several other websites, and this is the ONLY one I've ever had comments deleted - for no reason other than to forward someone else's agenda.

Hence, back to my first sentence: I got bored with the bulls**t. If the mods, admins, site creator and site owners want to let the place go down in flames, then I guess that's their choice. They promote bullying here, not curb it. This place is favoritism at it's worst...more than almost any other site I patronize. 
So, I check it from time to time, to see if anything is new or interesting, but rarely comment anymore, because I never know if my comments...or the entire thread...will disappear.

Sorry, but you asked. Feel free to delete this...I know you probably will anyway.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/19 23:00:06 (permalink)
No plan to delete your reply. I don't like seeing what you wrote, but appreciate your honesty and I'm glad you explained further. I don't recall ever receiving a message or complaint from you, but apologize if I did and failed to reply and that contributed to your feeling the way you do. 
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/19 23:03:42 (permalink)
I haven't ever sent you a direct e-mail, so no apology necessary.

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8074
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/19 23:58:19 (permalink)
I've had things I've written deleted and I just figured what I wrote wasn't appropriate.

I've also written the mods, they have answered and in at least 2 cases positive action was taken.

This is a good board and like ALL boards people come and go, people argue and jockey for attention and the flow of topics change like the tide.

Mods:  Keep up the good work!
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 00:11:26 (permalink)
Your experience is different from mine, obviously. And others, too, since they're not here any more (or as much).

I don't need an explanation of how boards work; thanks, though. 
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8074
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 00:15:41 (permalink)
You're quite welcome.  
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1563
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 00:42:40 (permalink)
I am probably one of those who has deserved getting reprimanded on occasion.  I've made some comments on here that weren't necessary, and I've apologized for them.  My intent has never been to hurt, but I've seen where I've done so.

However, there are those with far more posts than I that are allowed to run roughshod over this site.  Their insults are thinly veiled and there are continuous attempts to make others look stupid, insult pictures of their food or preparations and to basically denigrate them.  When they are called on it, they simply say that they are just "giving an opinion".

People like Wandering Jew (who I've been a jerk to on occasion, which was unwarranted), JB-007 and others who put the time and effort to make trip reports are the people that make this site go- whether or not the trip reports have pictures doesn't really matter-it's the effort that they put into it.

www.lthforum.com is a good site to model after.  There is banter, but they keep the focus on the food, and it doesn't seem to get out of hand, and if it looks like it's going that way, it is quickly reined in.

One of the ways to improve this site would be to eliminate the Off-Topic and Lighter Fare- that is where a lot of the crap starts.  I have to look at myself.  I enjoy the section, but there are times when we go after each other over there.  In fact, I spend most of my time there rather than on the food parts of this site, which essentially means that I am adding very little to what this site is supposed to be about.  How many discussions have had to be shut down or edited on the Off Topic and Lighter Fare area.  Is it really worth it?  That area is fun, but that area seems to foment more heartache and spite than any other section on Roadfood.

And as far as those who blame everything on the moderators, it's the members of this site that have to take responsibility for their actions.  The moderators have to step in when people can't handle themselves correctly.  If people do that, then the moderators don't have to do too much.  At the same time, when people see the moderators letting the same people do the same stuff over and over again, they either become disenchanted with the site, do nothing, or take a cue from the a-holes and start acting that way themselves.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 07:00:12 (permalink)
saps, I never knew you were so darn eloquent!  But you did go right to the heart of the problem with this site.  Certain people ALLOWED to run roughshod over others.  Let me add some of my favorites to your list:

Ellen - What happened to her and the way she was treated on this site is dispicable.  Most were deleted, but some of the disgusting comments to her can still be found on this site.  And why, because she posted a blurry picture?  

John A - A kinder man could not be found.  But he was run off this site by the chosen few.  Didn't matter that most people on this site, including me, learned a lot from him through his posts.

Baah Ben - Another example of the chosen few getting their way.  When it come to commerical operations, you could not find a more informed person than Baah Ben.  His was always a great contributor to this site.

Carolina Bob - I don't think I need to go into this one because it was so recent.

Now, look at the four names above.  What do they ALL have in common?  Yes, they were all great contributors to this site(and I am only scratching the surface).  They came here and helped build this site and had fun while they were doing it.  But that is where the problem lies.  You see, there are a handful of longtime posters who consider this site their life.  And when people come here and have fun, they feel like you are peeing on their life.  So they lash out, knowing they can get away with just about anything.

Quick solution, more oversight.  Double the moderator crew with even tempered longtime posters who can help repair this sites image and keep threads going in the right direction.  Negative, hurtful comments need to be addressed immediatly.  They longer they stay the more they hurt.

And please, don't ANYONE give me the BS about having to be tough.  "This is the internet, you need thick skin".  NONSENSE!!!  This is a food site.  Understand, a food site!  

Ice Cream Man
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 08:48:35 (permalink)
I agree totally with X1, i had the same experience here.
I was not a member that long but was having fun until I was personally attacked. My answer was to defend myself.
I didn't send Mods emails but asked in threads why they let this stuff go on, no answer, because the Mods don't read the threads. How can you be a Mod if you don't read the threads?
Don't give me the I'm to busy answer, if you're to busy quit and let someone who has the time do it.
In the end I figure I would try to get banned, I insulted the mods and the owners of this site, still no reply, why, because their to busy to read the posts, or like being insulted, or maybe I'm not good at insulting people. I couldn't believe I didn't even get a warning.
So I found something better to do with my time.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 09:39:55 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

I agree totally with X1, i had the same experience here.
I was not a member that long but was having fun until I was personally attacked. My answer was to defend myself.
I didn't send Mods emails but asked in threads why they let this stuff go on, no answer, because the Mods don't read the threads. How can you be a Mod if you don't read the threads?
Don't give me the I'm to busy answer, if you're to busy quit and let someone who has the time do it.
In the end I figure I would try to get banned, I insulted the mods and the owners of this site, still no reply, why, because their to busy to read the posts, or like being insulted, or maybe I'm not good at insulting people. I couldn't believe I didn't even get a warning.
So I found something better to do with my time.

Should we interpret this as you volunteering your time or would you prefer we ban you? Let us know as it isn't really clear from your post.

There are very easy ways people can report issues or areas of concern they come across. You are offered a chance to report a post right at the bottom of each post. You can't make the effort do that simple little task...one click...but feel the moderators are at fault for missing the one or two posts out of thousands that bothered you. 

The moderators will undoubtedly miss stuff, and even when we do catch it, there is no guarantee we will handle it in the way you will like. The system isn't perfect, but each week we get less than half a dozen posts that are flagged (many weeks there are NONE) yet when a thread like this comes up we start hearing about all the stuff we missed. Unless you give each poster their own personal internets chaparone things are going to be missed. Thinking a handful of moderators can read each post is kind of ridiculous. I think you have the job confused with this guy's duties...

Ice Cream Man
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 09:53:36 (permalink)
You can ban me if you want.
I have lost interest in this site, so no I am not volunteering, as if you would let me anyway.
I and many others read every post in the pro section, not to mention lots of posts in other areas, I have no problem doing that nether should a good Mod.
At least if we had a Mod that was interested we would have someone to talk to if we disagreed with his or her decision.
Your reply does nothing to help, just the same old theme, if you don't tell us we can't help because we"re to busy, So let someone who has time do it.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 10:02:05 (permalink)
Ice Cream Man

You can ban me if you want.
I have lost interest in this site, so no I am not volunteering, as if you would let me anyway.
I and many others read every post in the pro section, not to mention lots of posts in other areas, I have no problem doing that nether should a good Mod.
At least if we had a Mod that was interested we would have someone to talk to if we disagreed with his or her decision.
Your reply does nothing to help, just the same old theme, if you don't tell us we can't help because we"re to busy, So let someone who has time do it.

So let me get this straight. The moderators aren't interested because we don't react to complaints you don't make. I have never ignored a complaint or question. I may have missed some, but sometimes my paying job takes priority over this volunteer position. Once again, I don't have the time or desire to read every post made. If you have so much time your help would be very much welcome.  The last few moderators of the pro section simply vanished shortly after taking on the job. I can only guess what happened, but it would seem they may have underestimated the amount of time it takes. If you are up to the challenge we would sincerely welcome your help.

Come on now. Don't be one of those folks who just complains but isn't willing to fix the problem. 

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 11:12:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Every post has a box to "Report Abuse" in the area below the post. I'd like to see the field renamed to something like "Have a moderator review this post". Hopefully more people will start reporting threads containing negative, hurtful comments.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 11:30:28 (permalink)
David_NYC

Every post has a box to "Report Abuse" in the area below the post. I'd like to see the field renamed to something like "Have a moderator review this post". Hopefully more people will start reporting threads containing negative, hurtful comments.

I'd like that too David. I have no issue with what X1 and "Ice Cream Man" report as they are right, things are missed and in some cases inappropriately tolerated. I too hate the way some people post unnecessarily mean and hurtful comments. All I am saying is assistance in finding these issues is going to help matters. When such posts are found late in the game the threads become so contaminated the options are to delete the whole thread or spend a long time I don't have to clean it up. I'd like to catch things early and would appreciate any help at getting to that end.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 11:58:52 (permalink)
While I find it particularly strange to be speaking up for moderators who seem to delight in locking me out because of my brilllance, the fact is, these guys -- volunteers all -- are few and the posts on Roadfood are many. They can't keep up with all the stuff that gets posted here and are bound to miss things. That's just the way it goes. I am one of ten sysops on one of the busiest boards on the web and we constantly miss offending stuff simply because there's too much to deal with. On that board we depend on members to call to ur attention things we miss. I know that's the case here, too. And I know it works here because I've brought things to the attention of the moderators and they've acted on them -- not always to my liking, of course. The point is, these guys do what they do because someone has to. Could they use some help? Sure. Will they get it? Beats me. But regardless, ease up folks. They work hard for their pay. And they work hard here for no pay at all.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 12:08:46 (permalink)
Why Michael,
What a thoughtful post. You are to be commended for your perspicacity.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 12:16:55 (permalink)
Perspicacity is what perspicacity does.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 12:20:25 (permalink)
Maybe a help section w/ the suggestions I had about how to navagate the site, and how to use the "report abuse" button, and....

Maybe the abuse button needs a new name? It seams clear to me what it could be used for though.

Weird that I have not had problems any such problems like mentioned above. Maybe I make myself look foolish enough so no one else tries to do it? :~)

I do hate if Ellen, and the others Joe mentioned, had probs. I would have reported that if I had seen it.

I think we should all report behavior that is against the rules if we see it. That abuse button I right there.

Oh, whenever I have discussed something w/ a mod here it was always a good experience.
Joe
seocom
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 13:14:29 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

smokestack lightning

Just my thoughts. I can predict that some of them
will make rude comments. So be it.

What a thoughtful post. You are to be commended for your perspicacity.

Hey Michael,

I must admit, I learn a lot of things on Roadfood, besides about good food. I had to Google "perspicacity" just to see if you were insulting him

Good topic, with good ideas coming out also.

Stan...

PS: I wonder how many others had to look that one up too???

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 13:26:41 (permalink)
Why I would never insult anyone here.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 13:48:04 (permalink)
I think Michael is very perspicacious, after all he grew up near Yale....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 14:10:10 (permalink)
Around the corner from the Bowl, to be specific.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 14:25:04 (permalink)
Joerogo, I agree with every thought you stated above....Having had some people abuse me years ago, THE MODERATORS STEPPED IN, AND WITH HELP FROM COMPUSERVE, PUT AN END TO THE CYBER BULLYING OF ME AND MY FAMILY....THIS IS NOT FACEBOOK,THANK GOD...WE ARE HERE TO TALK FOOD, AND DISCUSS AND ,YES, SOMETIMES DEBATE...WHEN OPINIONS BECOME SLINGS AND ARROWS,THAT IS SICK....THAT SAID, I CONSIDER ALL OF YOU CYBERSPACE FRIENDS AND THE MAJORITY OF THE CONVERSATION HERE IS BOTH INFORMATIVE AND FRIENDLY...I APPECIATE THE JOB THE MODERATORS SELFLESSLY DO. THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS AND THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING THIS A GREAT DAILY STOP.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 14:51:04 (permalink)
I tend to post more on the Facebook, where I can mock the people I don't like in peace.
susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 14:59:57 (permalink)
I have made some great friends on this board that I communicate with almost daily outside of this board.  However, I was more of a poster some months back but stopped.  I grew weary of someone I had never had any contact with before commenting on my post in a snarky manner.    Nothing serious enough to require a moderator's assist.  Just not worth arguing about.
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 16:36:16 (permalink)
I am still lurking here but have not posted much lately as I am in the middle of moving to AZ from AK.
  I think that most of the site has been taken over by "doggers" so I have to filter out 80% of the posts. I don't do trip reports because I don't get out much as I usually work 60 hours per week. I usually cook at home which is why most of my posts are on the recipe threads.

David O.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 16:42:52 (permalink)
Chef, try my "posts since last vistit" deal. When you don't have much time you can scroll right past things that you don't want to read about right now. I also get busy and don't post much sometimes. Oh, I have called you "Chef" since the first time I met you maybe 5 years ago. Hope it's OK.
Joe
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 17:58:41 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
I tend to post more on the Facebook, where I can mock the people I don't like in peace.

And all of us here would like to say Thank You and.....well, facebook is the place for stuff like that, not RF,  So thank you for not doing it here anymore.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:Where Did Everyone Go? 2010/10/20 18:33:34 (permalink)
I am glad you know how much your approval means to me.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1