Hot!Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 16
Author
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/12 09:31:10 (permalink)
Hello jra929, and welcome. Regarding changing tastes, and as David NYC mentioned "dark decor and the heavy food", these certainly are factors in the scarcity of German restaurants. However, when I seek German food, that's exactly what I want, traditional dishes and atmosphere and it's usually a little bit of an occasion. Although it's one of my very favorite cuisines, the frequency that I choose German is after (in rough order) Chinese, Italian, American, and Middle Eastern.

I hope there will always be at least Zum Stammtische here in NY and I look forward to trying the Oak Chalet (thanks kozel) and Plattdeutsche (again, but 40 years later).
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 840
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/13 08:23:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MacTAC

I hope there will always be at least Zum Stammtische here in NY and I look forward to trying the Oak Chalet (thanks kozel) and Plattdeutsche (again, but 40 years later).

BTW, about Oak Chalet, I understand the owner or chef has a connection to Zum StammTisch. The food is very similar. Oddly, we were also at the Plattdeutsche in the last month too. It was a dinner for the German Genealogy Group (I'm researching my ancestors from Wash DC) and in the next room was a prizefight, ring and all. It was more of a catered menu but the sauerbraten was good. re: my ancestry search www.kozel.net
Sheetzaholic
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/16 20:22:57 (permalink)
Well it's a little of the map from the orginal entry, but hey... Pittsburgh has two restaurants that are worth a visit. Both are located on Pittsburgh's North Side. Actually, in the aptly namned Deutschtown (East Allegheny) neighborhood which is just north of downtown. The first is Max's Allegheny Tavern. Max's is a neighborhood place with solid German fare. It is located at Suisman and Middle Streets. The second is Penn Brewery located just to the east of Max's. It has a web site, but I cannot recall the address. It is an award winning micro brewery and certainly a bit more "upscale" in price, but just as friendly as Max's. Just up the Allegheny River is another German restaurant, but I cannot recall the name. It's in the town of Springdale.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5168
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/11/22 16:00:00 (permalink)
I just stumbled into the middle of a conversation between my wife and her parents, and the in-laws were talking about an excellent German meal they ate at the restaurant at the Stone Hill/Stonehill Winery in Herman, MO. Comparisons were made to the reputedly excellent cooking of my wife's great-grandmother, who was born and raised in Austria.

Brad
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/12/23 20:01:18 (permalink)
Sad news in West Michigan. Another one bit the dust...
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5853838

auf Wiedersehen, German Village

Updated: Dec 23, 2006 04:44 PM

STANDALE - The German Village, a mainstay in Standale since 1921, will close its doors Saturday night for the last time.

All day long, customers and employees celebrated with food and drinks, offering a free buffet and music for their guests.

In business for 85 years, The German Village was one of the few building to remain standing when an F-5 tornado roared through town in 1956.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2726
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/12/23 22:27:46 (permalink)
In the 1980's, I frequently ate lunch with the gang from work at a German restaurant in San Clemente, CA. Google refreshed my memory, it was Alex's Restaurant(2801 S El Camino Real). Alas, that location is now occupied by Antoine's Cafe serving burgers, salads and FRENCH CUISINE. << Picture Redd Foxx grabbing his chest, "This is the big one Elizabeth. I'm coming to join you ..." >>

The only thing we ever had was the family style sausage platter, so I can attest to nothing else on the menu. It was a great diversion for a bunch of midwestern guys from surf food and tacos. I recall the place was run by a retired couple from South Bend, and was regularly closed for extended periods when they travelled.

Add another one to the list.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/12/24 00:34:49 (permalink)
Nice quote there Jeff. Now to find Oliver crying for no more Hotcakes...
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/12/27 14:16:37 (permalink)
There is the Heidelberg in Cocoa Beach, FL.
More than good German food, it also has a Jazz club as part of its property.
Here is their link...
Click menu link to see the whole menu.

http://www.heidisjazzclub.com/Default.htm

Here is a 56K video...
http://www.discoverfla.com/cms/play56k.php?partner=166

Here is the 256K video
http://www.discoverfla.com/cms/play256k.php?partner=166
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/12/29 18:53:10 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I have visited the Heidelberg in Cocoa Beach in the late 90's when my parents lived in nearby Merritt Island .

I enjoyed the food , above par .

Benzee
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2006/12/30 18:10:01 (permalink)
Mrs FL and I had a flawless meal at Maders Saturday afternoon. From the parking lot attendant who let us park while we took in an afternoon Nutcracker presentation nearby through our hostess, bartender and waitress. Our food was light and uniformly excellent. The Mrs has sauerbraten and caramelized onions baked in phyllo and I opted for the goulash. An ala carte oxtail soup and draft Spaten Oktoberfest made the meal one I'll want again and sooner rather later.
koch71
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/01/03 13:25:29 (permalink)
If you live in North Carolina or just visiting, please visit the Old German Schnitzel Haus here in Hickory! You can check them out at
www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com
koch71
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/01/11 22:18:20 (permalink)
If you come to North Carolina, please visit the Old German Schnitzel Haus in Hickory. Wonderful authentic German Food, Beer and Wine.
They have a website,www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com

quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

Dear Friends:

Well, autumn is here. It's getting on Oktoberfest time. I've got a hankering for some really fine German cuisine. Where can it be found? We've eaten at the Berghoff and Chicago Brauhaus in Chicago. Neither one did much for us at all. Our absolute favorite used to be Dieterle's in Elgin, Illinois, but it closed years ago. We've tried Mader's and Karl Ratsch's in Milwaukee. Wasn't too keen on those either. We're willing to make a weekend road trip to find some good German food. Somebody please tell us where it is?!

Many thanks.

KimChee43
Frazier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/01/14 17:18:14 (permalink)
This German Thread is just what I was looking for. However for those in the Pacific NW Specificly Portland Oregon. You all have missed one. There was just an review in the Oregonian A&E Here is a link to that Review. http://portland.citysearch.com/review/8454306
as well as to their website, http://www.berlininn.com
Everything is made from scratch as well as they have a full pastry bakery where they make thier own desserts. There is also a little German Deli next Door that has got to be one of the best on the west coast.
Cheers and Happy eating.
Frazier
koblak
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/01/24 08:50:22 (permalink)
if you are near herkimer ny take the rt 28 exit off the nys thruway and follow 28 thru herkimer north about a mile to the heidelberg bakery and restaurant. it specializes in german and eastern european food and great breads and pastries. when i stopped for lunch earlier this week the special was hungarian goulash.
LJM
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/01/24 09:10:55 (permalink)
Has anybody dined at the Peotone Bierstube (www.peotonebierstube.com) in Peotone, IL? I haven't eaten there yet, but I've been told that the food is very good.

LJM
hoosiergoob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/02/10 10:23:28 (permalink)
Here's a new one: Inge’s German Market & Deli, located at 8395 East 116th Street, Fishers, IN (just north of Indianapolis). I have not yet tried it.
JakeMan
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/03/27 22:10:38 (permalink)
Schmidt's in German Village (Columbus, Ohio) is fabulous! You can check out their site at [url]www.schmidthaus.com/[/url]

Jake
Jeep2000
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/04/25 13:27:56 (permalink)
Not sure if everyone heard, but the Berfhoff in Chicago is open again. We went for the first time after they announced the closing (but before the reopening). It was an excellent experience.
A few months later, we tried the Chicago Brauhaus. It was a bit of a disappointment. In Peoria, we have a German club hall that is rather sterile, and the Brauhaus reminded us of our hall. The food was fine, but not outstanding.
In Peoria, we have the Peoria Hofbrau. They have changed cooks several times, but the food is generally good and the staff is very friendly and fun.
In Bradford, there is a restaurant called the Kaiserhof that was mentioned a few years ago on this forum. Within an hour of Peoria, this is our favorite for German food.
There is also a restaurant/bed & breakfast in Gibson City called the Bayern Stube. We have not been in several years, but the food and atmosphere was excellent. We plan to try it again, soon.
In Milwaukee, our favorite is Karl Ratzsch's. We have tried to visit a place called the Bavarian Wurst House, I think, but they were closed.
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/04/27 13:40:38 (permalink)
I grew up in Barrington, IL in the 40's and 50's. Anyone remember a little restaurant between Barrington and Elgin called Old Heidleberg? At that time it was out in open country. That was where I had my first taste of spaetzle. I believe they served other German foods, too. Mom liked to stop there on our way home from shopping in Elgin. I was too young to remember much about that experience or the quality of their other foods, but have loved spaetzle ever since. Don't suppose the restaurant is still there.

Lynn
BBQG
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/05/10 17:35:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spaetzelboy
Mom just told me about Neiderstein's yesterday . . . I am seriously bummed. Where will we go after funerals now?! This was also where my family celebrated my 40th Birthday last June. Always a good time. Even the funerals were a lot of laughs. Where else can I go for the Bavarian Platter and a pint of Dinkel Acker. Germany I guess.

The word I hear on Durow's is that they sold the parking lot. Sadly, I think that was the last good thing about Durow's.

I guess we can't fight the fact that the demographics are changing in the area. Plus, real estate prices are sky high. Too good to refuse. I grew up in queens, that's how I know this stuff.

I have heard that the food @ Zummstantisch (can we please just say ZST from here on) is genuine enough to be excessively rich. Any input?

Any of you locals still remember the Triangle Hofbrau? Miss that too.

BBQG
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/05/10 17:44:41 (permalink)
Oops, was trying to reply re the previous quote about The Triangle Hauf Brau. We used to live in Richmond Hill and that place was a landmark. We would go there all the time. There was a guy that used to hang out there from the old show Car 54 Where Are You. It was sad to see that go.
I've been trying to find a German Restaurant to go to for lunch on Sat with my mother after we visit St. John's cemetery. We too, always frequented these places after funerals. My whole family is from that neighborhood. I just tried Durow's, but the # is disconnected. Gebhardt's moved, Neiderstein's is gone and Zum Stammtisch is a bit pricey.
Oh, well - Mom will just have to deal with it!
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 840
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/05/11 13:32:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BBQG

Oops, was trying to reply re the previous quote about The Triangle Hauf Brau. We used to live in Richmond Hill and that place was a landmark. We would go there all the time. There was a guy that used to hang out there from the old show Car 54 Where Are You. It was sad to see that go.
I've been trying to find a German Restaurant to go to for lunch on Sat with my mother after we visit St. John's cemetery. We too, always frequented these places after funerals. My whole family is from that neighborhood. I just tried Durow's, but the # is disconnected. Gebhardt's moved, Neiderstein's is gone and Zum Stammtisch is a bit pricey.
Oh, well - Mom will just have to deal with it!

Neidersteins (now an Arby's), Durows (now houses), Sammets (now an Ecuadorian Restaurant), Gebhardts (closed), Triangle HB (medical facility) are all gone. Besides Zum Stammtich, Von Westerhagens (sp?) on Cooper may still be there. There is also Chalet Aplina on Metro in Forst Hills. In Bellmore I like The Oak Chalet. There's also Konig's in Floral Park and the family that ran Gebhardt's in Glendale has a place now in Floral Park too.

My dad's funeral lunch was at Neidersteins; some how going to an Arby's after a funeral doesn't seem right and I don't think you can order a Manhattan either.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2726
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/06/05 11:10:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JSOnline

Brookfield restaurant Ritter's Inn, known for its German specialties and Friday fish fry, will close later this month after 31 years in business.

The restaurant, at 12525 W. North Ave., will close after a farewell celebration on June 27, it was announced today. The decision to close comes after the October death of longtime co-owner Fred Vella.
Another good German restaurant closes.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/06/28 08:48:00 (permalink)
Sadly, another traditional Milwaukee German restaurant has closed its doors. Ritter's Inn is no more.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=625793
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/07/19 00:40:22 (permalink)
Baltimore has Eichenkranz. It is far cry from Hausners, which closed 15 or 20 years ago. Hausners was part museum and part restaurant. It was classic Baltimore. My biggest food regret is that I never went there.

Josef's in Fallston Maryland, about 30 mins north of Baltimore, serves many German dishes, but it is not a true German restaurant.

Baltimore has a strong German heritage. In fact German is the most common ancestry in Baltimore. Nevertheless, German restaurants are few and far between.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8520
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/07/19 09:17:50 (permalink)
Very bummed about Ritters...
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/07/22 08:12:32 (permalink)
In the Philadelphia area the German flavor is still alive!!!

Ludwig's
OX's
Otto's Sunday night Buffet
Ernst A. Illg's German meats and deli
Verinung Erzgebirge German Club
The German Hungarian Club in Trevose

If you go to Rockledge / Warminster area in PA there are still quite a few German places to eat.

VE still has a great German Amaerican day and an Octoberfest.

There is actually a circuit you can get on in these areas with somethning German happening all the time.
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/07/24 18:57:25 (permalink)
A new "find" for us is The Breadbasket in Newton, KS. It is on Main St. a block south of the railroad tracks in a very undermarked building. The entrance is in the middle of the building - halfway between Main St. and the parallel street to the west.

They serve lunch daily - which we have enjoyed. On Friday and Saturday evenings and on Sunday noon they have a German buffet - which ties heavily to the Mennonite heritage of the area. I don't know enough about the various dishes and their formal names to list specifics, but the food was wonderful. Several dishes were familiar to my wife from her Mennonite heritage. I just loved the food.

If you drive I-135, The Breadbasket is very convenient. If you are driving I-35, it is worth the detour.
avalon83
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/07/24 19:38:31 (permalink)
A terrific one is alive and kicking in Stanhope NJ - The Black Forest Inn. Outstanding every time we've been there.
sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/07/26 12:17:29 (permalink)
Here in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia we have two decent German places.

The Bier Garden on High St in Portsmouth is outstanding but a touch pricey when it comes to the beer. They do have about 300 different kinds of beer available.

The German Pantry on Virginia Beach Blvd in Norfolk has very good food and a decent beer selection and is less expensive then the Bier Garden. However it is very small and has more the atmosphere of a deli then a restaurant. There is a good grocery selection there for take home items.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1