Hot!Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 16
Author
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/11 00:27:46 (permalink)
I haven't read the whole thread to see if this town has been mentioned, but there's at least two German restaurants on every block just about :)

http://www.leavenworth.org/

There's a link at the top for restaurants, I've had some very good food there.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/11 00:39:14 (permalink)
I've might have posted this before. But, in case I haven't, Kuby's Restaurant/Butcher, Bakery in Dallas.
Great German food at very reasonable prices. The best meat and house made sausage products in Dallas. They will also process your game meats.
A Dallas insitution for many, many years.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/11 00:44:30 (permalink)
this is not a restaurant but there is a german market accross from sheetz off of rt 11 in hagerstown md
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/12 12:21:30 (permalink)
Hagerstown, MD has a german restaurant: Schmankerl Stube Bavarian Restaurant. It is in downtown Hagerstown. I've been there a few times. It is pretty good.

On Sundays they do a pretty good buffet, much better than most buffets.

There is also a nice outdoor patio/beer garden.
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/14 11:59:28 (permalink)
Robearjr, I just found this website http://www.henningsrestaurant.org/ for Hennning's, a German restaurant in Frederick, and was wondering whether or not it might be a good place to stop between Pittsburgh and Richmond.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/14 19:04:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

Hagerstown, MD has a german restaurant: Schmankerl Stube Bavarian Restaurant. It is in downtown Hagerstown. I've been there a few times. It is pretty good.

On Sundays they do a pretty good buffet, much better than most buffets.

There is also a nice outdoor patio/beer garden.

thanks for the tip i work so much havent had the time to explore hagerstown as much as i would like i know theres a boatload of places to eat at! i wanna try that new japanese steak house down by martins and sams club next.ever been there?
thanks
ron
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/14 19:09:33 (permalink)
Did I just search this thread and find zilch mention of the German restaurants in the Amana colonies?? [Iowa]

I know I posted the place I liked in another forum, but frankly if no one has mentioned them here it's pretty amazing!!!
" />
Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/14 19:12:39 (permalink)
I've never heard of that place. It looks like it is on the outskirts of Frederick, and if I go to Frederick I normally eat downtown. Nevertheless, I looked at the reviews and it sounds like the place has good food. I doubt it has much in the way of atmosphere as it is in a strip mall, but on the plus side it will be easy to find, park and get back to I 70.

On a side note, I wonder why their website has .org address. It doesn't matter. It just caught my eye.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/15 03:38:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

I've never heard of that place. It looks like it is on the outskirts of Frederick, and if I go to Frederick I normally eat downtown. Nevertheless, I looked at the reviews and it sounds like the place has good food. I doubt it has much in the way of atmosphere as it is in a strip mall, but on the plus side it will be easy to find, park and get back to I 70.

On a side note, I wonder why their website has .org address. It doesn't matter. It just caught my eye.

no its in hagerstown exit 5 off 81 halfway blvd.
if i get there soon ill give you a review...if you get there before me please let me know...never had kobe beef hope they are serving at least close to that.
thanks
ron
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/15 08:40:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ceciflinn

Did I just search this thread and find zilch mention of the German restaurants in the Amana colonies?? [Iowa]

I know I posted the place I liked in another forum, but frankly if no one has mentioned them here it's pretty amazing!!!
" />

While we were planning our vacation for this past summer, I did a search of several restaurant review message boards to determine where to eat in the Amana colonies. The consistent advice I received was to eat in Iowa City or even Cedar Rapids instead. The places which received so much acclaim many years ago have closed, changed hands, or chosen sales volume over quality. I was looking forward to some great German food in the Amana colonies. Apparently, I waited too long.
cecif
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/16 06:59:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Milt
While we were planning our vacation for this past summer, I did a search of several restaurant review message boards to determine where to eat our the Amana colonies. The consistent advice I received was to eat in Iowa City or even Cedar Rapids instead. The places which received so much acclaim many years ago have closed, changed hands, or chosen sales volume over quality. I was looking forward to some great German food in the Amana colonies. Apparently, I waited too long.

Well Milt, I did post somewhere but I went to the Amana colonies this past July and had a TERRIFIC German meal there. Sorry you missed out. The atmosphere was great too!
Milt
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/16 07:23:06 (permalink)

Well Milt, I did post somewhere but I went to the Amana colonies this past July and had a TERRIFIC German meal there. Sorry you missed out. The atmosphere was great too!

Do you recall where you had your great experience? We would still like to know where you ate.
cecif
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/16 09:52:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Milt
Do you recall where you had your great experience? We would still like to know where you ate.

See this topic:
http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19807&whichpage=2

Ronneburg Restaurant, I'm 99% sure [I wasn't participating in RF forums then, just using an old Sterns book...].

I really enjoyed the Amana colonies, even if a bit touristy. Bought an awesome history book in one of their shops too.
Bluntfacts
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/08/31 00:15:49 (permalink)
Okay. Let's move this to the top. For ANYONE visiting Las Vegas that wants a genuine German place runs by actual Germans, then a visit to Cafe Heidelberg is essential. On East Sahara Avenue; very close to the strip. Other sites will say Hofbraubaus; trust me, it's not even a contest. The next best thing is the Swiss Cafe on E Tropicana, but it is somewhat of a drive from the strip.
SiennaINFLA
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/10/14 20:25:59 (permalink)
schnitzelhaus tampa
Tampa, Florida.
This place is AMAZING!!!

The owners are authentic German folk, live music, they take great pride in making sure you are happy!

We had the Schnitzel (Chicken & Pork), sauerkraut, and Jagerbraten, soup (potato)... plus the homemade Black Forest Cake is TO DIE FOR!

Tfshaw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/10/15 09:51:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GeoNit

Robearjr, I just found this website http://www.henningsrestaurant.org/ for Hennning's, a German restaurant in Frederick, and was wondering whether or not it might be a good place to stop between Pittsburgh and Richmond.

I ate there back in August and the food was amazing. The meals are somewhat pricey ($15 to $20) but well worth it if you are looking for good German. I would recommend the Jager schnitzel - perfectly breaded and fried pork, all tender and buttery, served with spaetzel and salad, along with homemade breads. They also have a great selection of German beers on tap.
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/10/15 12:22:55 (permalink)

Who needs a German Restaurant when you have a German wife???

DD
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/10/15 15:04:45 (permalink)
For German food in Huntsville, AL, try Old Heidelberg. I often eat here and their schnitzal is to die for. My fav. is with a marsala wine sauce, onions, and mushrooms. They also offer chicken schnitzal and many other veal, chicken, and wursts. The meal comes with your choice of fried potatoes or cold or hot potato salad. I love their fried potatoes with a vinegar type slaw that is outstanding.

They also features some great looking desserts that are all homemade, but I am always to full to have dessert. Next time though, I will take a slice of one of their yummy cakes home.
the plainsman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/11/08 11:16:31 (permalink)
TRIANGLE HOFBRAU, PEQUANNOCK, NJ, State Rt 23 South, to Close November 10th. This German restaurant has been a North Jersey landmark since its humble beginnings in 1936 under Hans Gropp, first called the Triangle Grill. It has been there all my life, hosted countless family dinners and parties as well as almost every civic and town organization like Rotary, Friday happy hours, etc. All the good food, plus modern stuff, too. For more about this sad event, see:

http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3ODkmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcyMTAwNzAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNQ==

See you all there one last time! The organ music begins at 6:00 PM, six German beers on tap, too.
mrinans
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/12/16 23:34:20 (permalink)
I have heard of a German restaurant in Detroit, where I live, that is
suppossed to be very good and very authentic.
I will research this and get back to ya.
Milt
Cheeseburger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2007/12/17 11:21:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mrinans

I have heard of a German restaurant in Detroit, where I live, that is
suppossed to be very good and very authentic.
I will research this and get back to ya.

Welcome to Roadfood! We look forward to hearing your report.
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/01 10:16:16 (permalink)
quote:
So, here's my question:
Is "Gus Tavern" in Newburgh run by the same people who operated the place in Cold Spring? I'm sure that old Gus himself is long gone, but perhaps his children run this other place, and perhaps the recipes are the same. If that is the case, I would love to take a drive to that restaurant. Does anyone know the answer to my question?

Ted, I don't know it they're related, but I can tell you that the sauerbraten in the Newburgh restaurant is *really* good. The goulash is great, meatloaf moist, and the rye bread that comes to the table has a great crust. They have Dinkel Acker on tap, and it smells like the German restaurant we used to go to when I was a little kid. My wife (who was born in Germany) and I both love it.

john fischer <--- note the spelling
salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/06 03:30:36 (permalink)
Well, this I guess is kind of a tough subject. I am no expert in the field. My Dad's side was Swedish, my Mom's German, and I really don't feel attracted to either cuisine. I like Mexican and Italian, and French. Middle Eastern and a little Indian.
It seems to me that German is pretty heavy overall, and I just have not ever been big on sausages, even the desserts seem really dense to me. I think too that many people in this country don't like German wines, which in my view have usually been too sweet. German beers are a different story... But I don't even like beer. I think the Swedish side kicks in there, I like vodka, cold climate beverage.
Now, as far as German restaurants go in LA, we had a place between Downtown and Hollywood, called Loewenbrau, that was there for decades. I went there a couple of times, once with a chef friend, and once with my (German American) girlfriend and her family. Really strange decoration in there, and a VERY funky handmade menu. They just died last year. Really tired old servers. The place was on its last legs. Not far from there, there is a place called the Red Lion. Also been there for decades. This is a whole different scene, they do serve food, but it's mostly sausages and potato pancakes, booze and karaoke and hipsters. Live music. Now, beyond downtown, there's a really wacky place directly south about oh, 17 miles, in Torrance, called Alpine Village, acres and acres of German kookiness. Gift shops, communal dining, bad German food cooked no doubt by Mexicans, your worst nightmare. Grandparents and grade school kids. Got it?
As for Texas, well, it's too bad that there was a place located UNDERGROUND in downtown Dallas called the Blue Door that just closed recently. Had been a German place since God knows when, maybe the turn of the LAST century. Was supposed to be really fine dining for the execs in Dallas.
Uh, I have not been, but I know that in New Braunfels, TX, there has been a longtime, since the 1800s, German presence. Probably there are some good restaurants and breweries there.
Now, it's a little off topic, but north of Los Angeles, toward Santa Barbara, there's a town called Solvang, with a big Scandanavian presence, and there are numerous restaurants there with all the stuff you might want, the breakfast dishes, the meatballs, all that famous stuff, and that town is pretty serious about it, what they are doing is pretty true to form, it's not as junky, touristy as you might expect. Nice little small town atmosphere.
Well, that's all I know about!
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/16 20:03:08 (permalink)
Just hit Austrian Village in Rockledge, PA ---UNBELIVEABLE

Great food, great beer.

Would reccomend this for anyone in the area.

Tony
timmmahhhh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/20 03:18:31 (permalink)
I have panned through all eleven pages of this post and I am amazed nobody has mentioned my favorite German Restaurant - Rathskellar in downtown Indianapolis.

Not only is the food great but it is in the Athenaeum, a building built as a Greman Cultural Center. The architecture is as fantastic as the food, right down to the awesome beer hall. We brought our restless young daughters here and in walking around while waiting for our table the nice people running the gym at the Y (well it is a cultural center) let us shoot some baskets while waiting for our table!

It is in the northeast part of downtown on Massachusetts Avenue, which is an art district. For those of you familiar with Indy it is across from the Murat Temple.

Like Berghoff was to Chicago, Rathskellar is the oldest restaurant in the city. Fortunately unlike Berghof it is still around.

Also I really like Mader's in Milwaukee, also an incerdible place, at least three years ago when we went there for Sunday Brunch. Very pricey but worth it, Ithink it was $25/person.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2783
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/20 11:27:27 (permalink)
Here's one I did find in this thread, the Winzer Stube in Hudson, WI. I ate there a couple times when I lived in Hudson, going for the traditional German dishes, instead of the modern interpretations on the menu. Unfortunately, no sauerbraten, except as a Saturday special.

Good German food and great German beer.

http://www.winzerstube.net/
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/22 15:14:12 (permalink)
Mader's has been in Milwaukee for years and i recall my dad said he ate there. His cousin Hildegard
had made reservations.The family didn't eat there very often ,and being German themselves,they had momma's home cooking to rely on.
The old Krause Cafe in New Braunfels is now owned by a family from Germany.I think they still call it Krause's Cafe but not sure.I haven't eaten there yet.Lots of Germans,Czechs and Hungarians around here,but there are few restaurants of these groups around the San Antonio and Hill Country area.
Muenster,Texas was founded by German Catholics,and the town has a website.
There is a german restaurant on FM78 in Kirby east of San Antonio,that had gotten some good reviews in the past,but not sure if it's still open.
You might try googling Krause Cafe.The place has a website and does show their menu.
Jeep2000
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/25 11:56:26 (permalink)
When we go to the Amana Colonies, we always visit the Ox Yoke Inn restaurant in Amana. It was recommended to me by someone who used to live in Iowa, and it's always been good. You won't leave hungry!!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/25 12:39:37 (permalink)
We discovered a "new" German restaurant in NYC "Lederhosen" on Grove St. in Greenwich Village:
http://www.lederhosennyc.com/
It's a sort of beer drinking place with good brews from deutschland and (indoor) picnic tables for the Octoberfest atmosphere. Seems to appeal to college student types.

But the biggest treat, my appreciated by my pre-beer age daughter was Apple Shorle!!! Which is a fabulous apple cider-ish drink we have gotten in Germany many times but I never saw in US. The waitress told me that Ledehosen's owner has a "secret source".

We also liked the spaetzle and cheese, and other typical German far.
Ledershosen was fun, informal.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2008/01/25 14:22:45 (permalink)
For really good Apple Schorle, these folks might be able to hook you up with a retailer:
Possmann North America Inc.
PO Box 27743
Golden Valley, MN 55427
phone: 612.819.6899

http://www.possmann.com/Contact_Us/contact_us.html

I have also seen Rosbacher and Gerolsteiner Schorle in those food stores that sell imported German foods.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1