Hot!Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 16
Author
Rex
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/01/23 19:09:58 (permalink)
Ah, thank you all so much for the input. Yes the Gluhwein sounds like a recipe that I found online called "mulled wine". And I have heard of Glog before as well. i95 the recipe would be interesting and I would like to give it a try. But I think that the Gluhwein/Mulled Wine could be the one that I had that time at the restaurant.

But they both soound great..I think we have keepers here. ;)
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/01/24 14:27:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rex

And I have heard of Glog before as well. i95 the recipe would be interesting and I would like to give it a try.

Rex, here you go:

Glögg

5 whole white cardamom pods, cracked
2 whole cloves
1 1-inch piece of cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon dried orange peel
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup Madiera wine
1 cup good-quality red wine such as burgundy
Put all of the ingredients in a stainless steel pan and slowly heat but do not boil. Strain and drink immediately or forÝ stronger flavor, let spices steep for several hours or overnight;Ý strain and gently reheat.

(From http://www.swedishkitchen.com/ , FYI.)
fullejc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/01/25 12:48:09 (permalink)
If you're willing to travel a few hours from the Chicago area, you might try the Kaiserhof German restaurant in Bradford Illinois. Some friends and family members say it's the best German food they've had.
marcbla
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/02/16 16:45:58 (permalink)
lehigh valley mall allentown, pa Mr dunderbacks german restaurant (mostly sandwiches and brauts_ but excellent food i think it's a chain restaurnat.
varelas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/02/20 17:08:58 (permalink)
Two great German restaurants in the Springfield,MA area are The Student Prince and The Fort, that's one place with two names and in West Springfield, just across the rive , Hofbrauhaus
ardee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/02/21 13:55:02 (permalink)
Here are a couple of decent German restaurants located in some out-of-the-way places:

The Dorf Haus, located in the village of Roxbury, Wisconsin, about 20 miles northwest of Madison. It is on County Road Y (the main road through Roxbury) about 1 1/4 miles east of U.S. 12.

The Schnitzelbank Restaurant, 393 Third Ave.(State Hwy. 162S), Jasper, Indiana, about 65 miles northeast of Evansville.

As for Frankenmuth, Michigan, there are no German restaurants there. The restaurants have a few token "German" foods on the menu, but... The Bavarian Inn is advertised as a fried chicken restaurant, as is Zehnder's of Frankenmuth -- and the Frankenmuth Brewery is a micro-brewery that also serves food.
buckeye1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/02/23 14:15:10 (permalink)
A few years ago in Cleveland, the Hofbrau Haus closed after over 50 years. We had to find another favorite, and now we eat at Der Braumeister on the west side. It's not much from the outside, and definitely in a working-class part of town, but the food is excellent and the beer selection is unparalleled. Here's a link for the curious:
http://www.wkyc.com/dining/2001/braumeister.asp

Also there's a couple of Eastern European restaurants in the area that are worth going to. About a half hour drive east of Cleveland is Sutter's Restaurant, in a tiny town called Newbury, near Geauga County's Amish community. Sutter's has more veal and schnitzel variations than any restaurant I've been to. They have "schnitzel Genovese", "schnitzel Oscar" and more
http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2001-06-28/cafe.html

Out in Vermilion, about 30 miles west of Cleveland is Old Prague Restaurant (only open in summertime I think).
www.oldprague.com
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18275
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/02/23 14:22:06 (permalink)
I remember a Hofbrau (sp) House in New Haven many years ago, but I can't recall ever going there. There was an Old Heidelberg there, too, but I don't remember ever eating anything in the place, other than potato chips. I think the closest I've ever come to eating in a German restaurant is Schmidt's in the German Village section of Columbus.
Berdman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/02/26 08:32:57 (permalink)
The German Restaurant in Madison, Wisconsin is the Essen Haus. Food is ok, but the atmosphere is the best. Polka band every friday & saturday night. The best German food I have had in Wisconsin is at Weissgerber's Golden Mast Inn in Oconomowoc, WI on the shore of Okauchee Lake. Excellent food.
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/03/08 08:13:16 (permalink)
We have had one excellent German restaurant experience. Several years ago, we discovered Wiederkehr Wine Cellars' Restaurant in Altus, Arkansas - just a little east of Fort Smith on I-40. We returned this past Labor Day weekend for Sunday lunch and it was fantastic. Well worth a stop, if you are in the area.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/03/08 10:15:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

Ok, another question to any capital-area Germanophiles. Looking for good German restaurants in the DC area. Any suggestions?

Sorry that I'm a bit late on this, but you should also check out a restaurant called Wurzburg Haus in Rockville. Here is a link to a review. www.washingtonian.com/dining/restaurantDetail.asp?id=235
Forget about the calories for one night and try the wiener schnitzel with home fries and the apple streudel for dessert. Delicious!
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/03/08 15:22:18 (permalink)
Varelas, how's the Hofbrauhaus in West Springfield? My wife and I noticed that when we were heading over to the White Hut last month. We already had reservations at the Student Prince for that night, though.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/03/08 22:02:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

Ok, another question to any capital-area Germanophiles. Looking for good German restaurants in the DC area. Any suggestions?

Sorry that I'm a bit late on this, but you should also check out a restaurant called Wurzburg Haus in Rockville. Here is a link to a review. www.washingtonian.com/dining/restaurantDetail.asp?id=235
Forget about the calories for one night and try the wiener schnitzel with home fries and the apple streudel for dessert. Delicious!

Thanks!
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/03/15 15:32:18 (permalink)
A note of thanks to all who have contributed to this topic so far. I'm sure that all of us German food lovers have been helped tremendously. I know I have! Keep the suggestions coming, though!
ClemsonRecruiter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/03/15 15:36:44 (permalink)
Used to be 2 or 3 here in Charlotte back in the early 90's but all are closed now.
GigaShadow
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/03/30 14:54:59 (permalink)
In Fort Worth the best one I went to was Edelweiss. Great sausages and the owner even does the chicken dance

http://www.guidelive.com/profile/105160?p=1
prost mahlzeit
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/10 20:18:57 (permalink)
hello all you lovers of good food. i finally can add my submission as the website is finally finished

for all those that live in the Washington, DC area, here is another one for you to check out. http://www.euro-bistro.com/. the restaurant is in Reston (northern virginia), about 10 minutes from Dulles airport. the chef is Austrian and has cooked in the area for quite a while. small place, great food, plus special events. enough said...

prost mahlzeit
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/10 20:54:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by kland01s

KimChee, was the the Bohemia Inn that was on Rte. 47 north of Lily Lake? I used to love going there, in the summer you would see the Grandmother out in the garden, cutting herbs.

KLAND01S: Yes! It's been closed for a number of years now. The Grandmother, of course, has been dead for some years; likewise, her son. We used to patronize the restaurant up until her son died, even though the kitchen was very inconsistent. After her grandson took over the business (I think he was pretty young; maybe late 20s), they arrested him for murder. Of course, the restaurant was shut down then. He was later convicted, even though the police never found the body. (Or maybe they found parts of it. I don't remember. It's been a while.) Do you remember reading about that in the newspapers?
Yeah the leather clad punk rocker grandson supposedly buried the transient's (living in their creepy motel) body parts out in grandma's garden. He had been decapitated. I lived right over on Silver Glen Rd. We went there all the time- mostly to pick up beer late at night. VERY creepy place- A real life Motel Hell.Also very musty odor going on there.Used to go to Han's Bavarian Lodge in Wheeling until the owners got tired of it. I think,Kimchee if you try some of the Polish places around the area you'll find much of the same food you'll find in a German place. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW i really can't stop thinking about that mohawked punk guy at the little Bohemia right now- too weird!
Rex Allen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/10 22:51:27 (permalink)
Any one of you know a good German restaurant on the left coast? The Only one that I know of is in cold,expensive San Diego!
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/11 00:56:16 (permalink)
Hey, prost mahlzeit,

Does that mean happy new year, or what? Sometimes time, that's all I can translate.

Beautiful website. And I live in Colorado, and will probably never make it to your lovely restaurant, but I think showing pictures of the food in the menu's menu's is a wonderful, and very very smart thing to do, in terms of marketing.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/11 00:58:39 (permalink)
Ugh, I meant menu's menus, pardon the punctuation error.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/11 10:02:57 (permalink)
jeepguy, yes, I do remember about the weirdness out there! I had forgotten about that! It became another restaurant that feature wild game for awhile, not sure what it is now because I don't go that way every often. There is still Gasthaus Zur Linde in downtown Elgin, on Grove Street but I haven't been there in ages. I have friends who belong to the local German club and swear by Bavaria Hof which is on Roselle Road in Schaumburg.
mek
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/11 11:11:50 (permalink)
Hello, all-
Sorry for my absence. A special apology to i95- i neglected to reply to you back in January.
I have had to attend to some rather serious matters (please do not ask).
Schmankerl Stube in Hagerstown, MD is still going strong. Hagerstoen is a short drive up 65 north of Antietam (or Sharpsburg) Battlefield.
They have smoking and non-smoking sections and do not seem to have a problem with children.
They do ask that you make reservations.
I believe they have Hacker-Pschorr on tap.
Here is the link to their website:

www.schmankerlstube.com

Take care, all

mek
prost mahlzeit
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/13 15:31:26 (permalink)
prost means cheers
mahlzeit means enjoy your food/bon appetite

also, thank you for the compliments on the site. i wanted to create something that is somewhat unique. showing photos without annoying people with pop ups. guess i managed ok

i have gone there for a few years as a customer (being from Austria myself, i have high expectations). i started working there on weekends last fall and really felt it needed a nice website to showcase the place. the owner is a great cook, i just like to help him out with some of the marketing

did a quick check on your flight too. roundtrip from denver should be around $300. save a dollar a day and i see you next may

prost mahlzeit
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Hey, prost mahlzeit,

Does that mean happy new year, or what? Sometimes time, that's all I can translate.

Beautiful website. And I live in Colorado, and will probably never make it to your lovely restaurant, but I think showing pictures of the food in the menu's menu's is a wonderful, and very very smart thing to do, in terms of marketing.
brentk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/13 16:11:40 (permalink)
Having just returned from Munich (which is in Bavaria), I can assure you that Kartoffelsalat (which translates as potato salad) is very much on the menus over there.

We didn't order it but once (and it was served cold) so I'm not sure whether you can find the warm version over there that is often served over here.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/13 16:31:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mek

Hello, all-
Sorry for my absence. A special apology to i95- i neglected to reply to you back in January.
I have had to attend to some rather serious matters (please do not ask).
Schmankerl Stube in Hagerstown, MD is still going strong. Hagerstoen is a short drive up 65 north of Antietam (or Sharpsburg) Battlefield.
They have smoking and non-smoking sections and do not seem to have a problem with children.
They do ask that you make reservations.
I believe they have Hacker-Pschorr on tap.
Here is the link to their website:

www.schmankerlstube.com

Take care, all

mek

I do not particularly like much about this restaurant. We have eaten there quite a few times as my son loves that huge container of beer.....but I find the servers to be cool and not very friendly; the owner runs hot and cold. Sometimes, he is very jovial and sometimes he is very overbearing. Some portions tend to be very small.

You certainly can take children there. We see them there all the time even though there is no children's menu available. We always order the children an order of applesauce and an order of spaetzle when we have eaten there.

The food is Bavarian and very well prepared but most items are overpriced (when you consider the service and coolness of the place).
prost mahlzeit
Junior Burger
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/14 02:15:31 (permalink)
quote:
I do not particularly like much about this restaurant. We have eaten there quite a few times as my son loves that huge container of beer.....but I find the servers to be cool and not very friendly; the owner runs hot and cold. Sometimes, he is very jovial and sometimes he is very overbearing. Some portions tend to be very small.

You certainly can take children there. We see them there all the time even though there is no children's menu available. We always order the children an order of applesauce and an order of spaetzle when we have eaten there.

The food is Bavarian and very well prepared but most items are overpriced (when you consider the service and coolness of the place).

Had dinner there last night and must unfortunately mostly agree with chezkatie.

On the positive side: beautiful place and the beers on tab are great

I do not feel right about posting anything negative in this forum. if you e-mail me directly, I 'll be happy to reply to you in private
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/06/15 13:08:33 (permalink)
On Looooooooooooong Island, NY there are still a few---here are four or five I have had dinner at-----
Once upon a time Queens had a dozen great German Restaurants in the Woodhaven area. Little by little they disappeared as the neighborhood changed, but there is one still on Myrtle Ave or Woodhaven Blvd it is right in the middle of a number of cemeteries and is often the place for lunch after a funeral. Can't remember the name. Then a little further east, off Jericho Turnpike in Floral Park you can find Koenigs, they have been there forever. A mile or so south is The Platdeusch complete with a park for soccer or whatever. Both are fun places. The best is Ruoff's in Smithtown. 1st class all the way. Duck, venison, whatever, they have it. Excellent restaurant. Just remembered another on Jericho Turnpike in Elwood. It used to be Fred's Diner, but since Fred retired his kid's took over and made it a restaurant---still called Fred's it is cheaper and great food. The Bavarian Inn on Lake Ronkonkoma used to be a great place for dinner. They had a funny little accordian player during the week and dancing and entertainment on weekends---lots of fun, don't know if it is still as good.
citizengeek
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/07/29 17:47:55 (permalink)
Schnitzelbank! & other Hoosier German options.

okay- so no one really is all that close to Jasper, Indiana, but if you hunger for spaetzel and schnitzel, it's quite worth the drive.

My husband grew up in Germany as an Army brat, and he boasts to family about our proximity to such a great selection of schnitzel.

The Evansville area is actually quite German in heritage- names like Heidelbach, Schmidt, Boeke, and Shutte grace the roads- towns like Darmstadt and Haubstadt spot the periphery.

Newburgh, Indiana has Fritz's Bier Haus, but though it's an established restaurant (recently moved to a new location) I only found out about it last week and haven't been able to dine there yet. My husband's year-old vegetarianism has slowed our German food consumption considerably.

In Evansville, there is a newer German restaurant called The Gerst Bavarian Haus. It's more of an imported beer place with sauerkraut than a established local place like Schnitzelbank or Fritz's. It's on West Franklin Avenue.

For a German good time & atmosphere, with a limited menu- Evansville's Germania Mannechoir has an August Volksfest with Oompa bands, polka squads, chicken dances, and large men in laderhosen. Needless to say- gemutlikeit flows as freely as the beer. http://www.germania.evansville.net/

The West Side Nut Club Fall Festival in Evansville the first full week of October also has some German food offerings (kuchen, etc.). The festival itself is gluttony & indulgence. Local media report it to be 2nd largest food festival after Mardi Gras. The most important thing is that most of the food vendors are local non-pofits (so every's grandmas and aunties are doing the cooking). Good eats! [url]www.nutclub.org[/url]

Further north in Central Indiana The Rathskeller in Indianapolis offers many German & some American items, but the BierGarten is the place to be for summer entertainment. The restaurant is in the former German-American Club of Indianapolis. Great atmosphere! Fun acts like Polkaboy!

Untested is Jasper's Strassenfest, in October. [url]www.jasperstrassenfest.org[/url] But we're hoping to go this year (myself and VeggieBoy) and will report back. If it's anything like Schnitzelbank in quality, this is German hog heaven.

Schmeckt gut!
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Where Have All the German Restaurants Gone? 2004/07/29 18:04:46 (permalink)
I have a love affair with a little German place in Hudson Wisconsin, The Winzerstube. They have the most delicious Fish dishes that I don't usually think of getting at a German place. Also the Schnitzel and Saurbraten are out of this world. Also I like to have the food with instead of Beer or wine a delicious German apple cider with just a little alcohol in it, it is very refreshing.

In California there is a great little gem in Sea Side California just north of Carmel it is Stammtisch, this place is more Swiss/German. The food is very good, it is somewhat lighter than Bavarian or Thuringian etc. They have the best Brussel Sprout soup in the World. Even if you hated Brussel Sprouts you might enjoy this.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 16
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1